• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignignort

Looking forward to when notch gets back and starts hiring a team... some of the stuff in multiplayer needs adding/fixing to make it really worthwhile.

He's done amazingly by himself though

Stitch

Gold Member
Technosteve said:
vavle is probably pulling a microsoft, doing a merger and acquisition

gates-simpsons.jpg

can't wait for it to be on steam i can buy it with out paypal
you can already buy it without paypal

MNC

Horsebite said:
A few pics from last night, pre-detonation:

http://i35.tinypic.com/4huqfa.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/13z1lrr.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/2646mue.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/2ymsoep.jpg
That's a real bitchy skin to have :lol

Subxero

CrookedRain said:
Man, sales are just soaring for this game. It's insane. I can't imagine the sales for this game after it gets put up on Steam which I'm sure is part of the reason for his meeting with Valve.

21054 players online, in 602 servers.
451242 registered users, of which 86159 (19.09%) have bought the game.

In the last 24 hours, 13645 people registered, and 3242 people bought the game.

I'm sure it will do well, the numbers really are insane. I have been watching this thread for a long time and have held off from buying it. I thought as soon as I did it would be dead, but it seems to still be picking up a lot of new users. I watched a few of the videos in the thread and played the free version for 3-4 hours today. I just couldn't hold out any more and just bought it.

My only concern is that I would have rater bought off Steam, and that if a deal with a publisher goes through that all the early adopters will be thrown under the bus. I'm not saying that will happen but it's a concern. On the other hand I really do hope he get's a deal and is able to hire some people to help him manage the games progress.

I'm off to give it a go.

Vinci

Danish
Okay, found a new complaint (though this may well have been known prior to this)... Last time I played, I had to Save and Quit on top of my obsidian factory... basically an obsidian floor with lava underneath. Today, when I logged into that game, the floor took longer to 'spawn' than I did, meaning that I fell through the floor into the pool of lava and obsidian appeared all around me. As you can imagine, I wasn't able to cut my way through it in time to save myself.

This resulted in the following losses:

2 diamond pickaxes (specifically for harvesting obsidian)
31 diamonds
212 obsidian blocks
42 gold blocks
134 iron blocks​

Since everything went into the lava as I died, it's all gone. I didn't have a chance to recover any of it.

As you might imagine, this was the biggest loss I've ever sustained in this game. And damn, it hurts. =(

Vlad

Vinci said:
Okay, found a new complaint (though this may well have been known prior to this)... Last time I played, I had to Save and Quit on top of my obsidian factory... basically an obsidian floor with lava underneath. Today, when I logged into that game, the floor took longer to 'spawn' than I did, meaning that I fell through the floor into the pool of lava and obsidian appeared all around me. As you can imagine, I wasn't able to cut my way through it in time to save myself.

This resulted in the following losses:

2 diamond pickaxes (specifically for harvesting obsidian)
31 diamonds
212 obsidian blocks
42 gold blocks
134 iron blocks​

Since everything went into the lava as I died, it's all gone. I didn't have a chance to recover any of it.

As you might imagine, this was the biggest loss I've ever sustained in this game. And damn, it hurts. =(

I think this exact same thing happened to me once. I've got a quarry set up in my "base" area, and it's essentially a huge vertical shaft with a few catwalks/bridges cutting across it at a few points. I think I had saved while standing on one of the one-block-thick bridges, and when I re-loaded the game later on, I immediately fell all the way down and died at the bottom of the shaft. Luckily I was able to recover most of my stuff (lost a bucket or two to the small lava pool at the bottom), but it was still quite irritating.

Just reading about all the stuff you lost makes me feel uneasy.

Sciz

Vinci said:
In that sort of situation, I don't think anyone would blame you if you did some save editing to recover your stuff.

Though there's also something to be said for not farming obsidian with that kind of wealth on you.

Vinci

Danish
Vlad said:
I think this exact same thing happened to me once. I've got a quarry set up in my "base" area, and it's essentially a huge vertical shaft with a few catwalks/bridges cutting across it at a few points. I think I had saved while standing on one of the one-block-thick bridges, and when I re-loaded the game later on, I immediately fell all the way down and died at the bottom of the shaft. Luckily I was able to recover most of my stuff (lost a bucket or two to the small lava pool at the bottom), but it was still quite irritating.

Just reading about all the stuff you lost makes me feel uneasy.

The biggest loss from my perspective are the diamonds, gold and iron. The obsidian, I can farm, but it's still a significant loss in terms of time. It takes a long time to harvest obsidian. So yes, it's never fun to lose hours of work because of some technical hiccup. But hey, I now know to be wary of this sort of thing in the future and can maybe plan around it from this point on.

But yeah... still depressing.

Sciz said:
In that sort of situation, I don't think anyone would blame you if you did some save editing to recover your stuff.

Nah. I'm good. I can get it all back. Just the loss of time is the big thing.

Though there's also something to be said for not farming obsidian with that kind of wealth on you.

Oh, I'm more than aware of that. Believe me. I had thought multiple times last time I played about running and saving the stuff in a chest, but... honestly... as much as it was, I didn't feel its weight (if you get my meaning) till I lost it. This is, by far, my wealthiest mine. I still have a huge stockpile of diamonds and gold and iron, that the stuff (as big and valuable as they were) just didn't feel that significant at the time. Now? Yeah, it fucking sucks. :lol

But hey, live and learn.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, this is kind of random, but has anyone else noticed after the last few updates it seems to stutter and lag a lot more often? Its really kind of annoying.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
So I know it's unlikely but I figured I'd ask anyways.

I bought the game and downloaded it onto my macbook since it's my primary computer currently. But I'd love to be using these texture backs and editors etc.... Is there any way to put it on my PC without buying the game all over again?

edit: wtf, I am an idiot that needs to read the faq

siddx said:
So I know it's unlikely but I figured I'd ask anyways.

I bought the game and downloaded it onto my macbook since it's my primary computer currently. But I'd love to be using these texture backs and editors etc.... Is there any way to put it on my PC without buying the game all over again?

You can download it on as many machines as you like, just log in to the website and re-download the .exe.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I can't understand this phenomenon but I think I should try it somehow. Is there a demo?

roman2k

The_Technomancer said:
Hey, this is kind of random, but has anyone else noticed after the last few updates it seems to stutter and lag a lot more often? Its really kind of annoying.

Yes, unfortunately. Before the last few updates there were few minor hiccups (I'm on a shitty laptop, I already play on the lowest settings) but now it's sometimes unplayable. Exploring new caves has thus become a real hassle for me mainly when I come across enemies.

subversus said:
I can't understand this phenomenon but I think I should try it somehow. Is there a demo?

You can play Creative mode for free, but there's no enemies, no need to mine for materials (as you have an infinite supply) and none of the survival gameplay you'll find in the main game - unfourtunately creative mode doesn't really give you much of an idea about the main game, outside of the look and feel of exploring the randomly generated worlds. The only way to experience it is to pay the asking price and play it yourself, or watch some youtube videos or livestreams to get an idea of what the game entails.

Bison11

Just bought the game today. Its pretty damn addicting and there is so much stuff that I didnt know about. Its pretty awesome.

I built a little house and a sword. So obviously I thought it was a great idea to go kill a zombie, but of course I died, and all my shit did not respawn with me. Now I now I need to build me a chest.

Dragmire

filipe said:
It's actually well written, ending with a good picture.

http://i.imgur.com/HIjKl.jpg[/ img][/QUOTE]
Minecraft is a great game for creepypastas like this. Could've been creepier, but it was cool.

epmode

Bison11 said:
I built a little house and a sword. So obviously I thought it was a great idea to go kill a zombie, but of course I died, and all my shit did not respawn with me. Now I now I need to build me a chest.
Your shit drops where you died and you only have a few minutes to collect it before it disappears for good.

Also: Lava completely destroys any item it touches.

ijed

Dragmire said:
Minecraft is a great game for creepypastas like this. Could've been creepier, but it was cool.

WTF? Someone trolling Notch by posting shit about his dead brother is not cool

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Is the GAF server down? I haven't been able to get on in a few days.

sgnhh

Neo Member
That Minecraft story creeped me out because I didn't see where the guy was at first, I thought maybe he had mistaken the chicken for a dude, and then OH GOD

Zomba13

sgnhh said:
That Minecraft story creeped me out because I didn't see where the guy was at first, I thought maybe he had mistaken the chicken for a dude, and then OH GOD
This. It was a real 'when you see it' kind of picture.

i have a network of minecarts with boosters setup so its sort of like a bus/train system. If i stand and wait at the "bus stop" for about 15 secs a cart will come by and i can jump in.

i needed a lift so i stood on my bus stop, as the cart approached i could see there was a skeleton in it. He fucking shot me and sped off into the horizon.

i just wanted to share that minecraft has drive by shootings.

Razorskin

----- ------

Razorskin

----- ------
Lionheart1337 said:
Where's the map download for GAFland?

OatmealMu said:
This is the final version of Gafland before the mayhem. Here's how to use it with the vanilla server:

1) Download server from minecraft.net/downloads.jsp
2) Place the server file where you want to run the server from. I created a folder called "Minecraft Server" and put the file in there
3) Run the server once so it creates the necessary files. Your folder should now look similar to this
4) Download and unzip Gafland.zip
5) Place the Gafland folder into same directory as the server files
6) Open server.properties in a text editor
7) Look for an entry that says level-name=world
8) Change it so that it reads level-name=gafland like so

You may or may not need to point your computer to where Java resides. If you use a community wrapper like Zicore's Minecraft Admin this step can be skipped. Llamacraft is another handy tool to have around. It provides added functionality and some anti-griefer fixes.

Spookie

Thanks to various threads on this on GAF and other forums I read and specifically after watching this. I bought it. Not normally my cup of tea but I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THIS SHIT.

Thanks GAF for expanding my mind a bit. :)

Razorskin

----- ------
GDJustin said:
So... wait. Are people just photoshopping this in, or what's the deal here?

He's the real deal.

QyY6Y.png

No, some photoshop and others (like I did in the image above) edit the painting files to include HIM and delete the blocks behind the painting. There are videos on the forums from people who stream the game who use this to trick people. because you don't see the painting from behind so they walk to somewhere, then go back to where they were and see HIM and do a fake freakout and close minecraft.

NrPO7.png

Save this in the minecraft.jar under the art folder to try it yourself.

Spookie

Ok so far I've made a cave. This cave is now beginning to growl at me which in turn is causing me to shit bricks (not that type).

Minecraft: The Decent Pt III? :(

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
That's very clever. So Notch doesn't have a dead brother, as far as we know? If not then... good on the internet for trolling the (nearly) 100K minecraft owners!

Side note: Game will be crossing 100K sometime in the early hours of Sept. 2nd it looks like. Or late Sept. 1. Unbelievable.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Spookie said:
Ok so far I've made a cave. This cave is now beginning to growl at me which in turn is causing me to shit bricks (not that type).

Oooh! A newbie! As a grisled Minecraft veteran, I want to live vicariously through you. Would you rather us give you tips and tricks about what to do (and what you're hearing), or do you want to figure it out on your own?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Spookie said:

Welcome to the best survival horror game of the past few years.

Blizzard

Banned
:lol at that skeleton driveby shooting.

Stream of MinecraftCon is live now, though I have no idea what's going on. There are a good many people, it looks like someone has a papercraft creeper, and they're abducting Notch and taking him across a field and stealing his million dollarz.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/Me-Drawing

*edit* I think Notch in hat confirmed. *edit again* Off for now, may be coming back on in a bit.

Zomba13

The_Technomancer said:
Welcome to the best survival horror game of the past few years.
Just talked to my friend about this. I think it would be cool if there was a survival horror mode. just like survival but with more creepy. Like add fog as a weather condition and there's a chance of you seeing 'Notch's Brother' randomly at any time. Like he could be there one minute, gone the next. Weird objects/buildings/monuements. Underground caves already built with torches and stuff. Do it in like a stealth update, like a world you make could turn into a horror world. Would be sooooooo creepy, like playing, building your house/cave to hide in for the night. You finish up, block yourself in, put up a torch up for light and then... as you turn around... you see him.

Went to get my Minecraft fix and bam! outdated browser. So I go to minecraft.net and download the browser, but it isnt an executable. Needless to say I am stuck playing offline. Anyone else having this issue?

vermadas

So I've discovered a skeleton spawner dungeon in my game. I have no idea how to tackle it without taking several arrows to the face repeatedly. I wish this game had a sword and board weapon combo or something.

vermadas said:
So I've discovered a skeleton spawner dungeon in my game. I have no idea how to tackle it without taking several arrows to the face repeatedly. I wish this game had a sword and board weapon combo or something.

Come down from the top and drop lava on them :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom