• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
vermadas said:
So I've discovered a skeleton spawner dungeon in my game. I have no idea how to tackle it without taking several arrows to the face repeatedly. I wish this game had a sword and board weapon combo or something.
Make a complicated trap and use it as an arrow farm? :p It takes a really long time to destroy the spawner blocks, so I could see how that'd be tough with skeletons.

ZZMitch

vermadas said:
So I've discovered a skeleton spawner dungeon in my game. I have no idea how to tackle it without taking several arrows to the face repeatedly. I wish this game had a sword and board weapon combo or something.

I had one of those too, I just ran in and placed torches everywhere... I think that stopped them from spawning.

Snaku

Banned
Read the first few posts on the first page. Read the first few posts of the last page. Figured what the hell, it's only $12.

I feel like a fucking dwarf. Just started randomly digging a tunnel straight down, and after about 10 minutes a piano just starts playing a kinda melancholy song. Then my laptop overheated and shut down (piece of shit Dell). For a moment there the game was becoming magical. =/

Blizzard

Banned
Snaku said:
Read the first few posts on the first page. Read the first few posts of the last page. Figured what the hell, it's only $12.

I feel like a fucking dwarf. Just started randomly digging a tunnel straight down, and after about 10 minutes a piano just starts playing a kinda melancholy song. Then my laptop overheated and shut down (piece of shit Dell). For a moment there the game was becoming magical. =/
Try going into the options and turning the graphics to "fast", and maybe turning the draw distance down a notch or two. You can adjust it with 'F'.

vermadas

TheExecutive said:
Come down from the top and drop lava on them :lol
:lol I like this idea the most.

Ideally I just want to clear them out and block off the spawner in case I want to create an arrow farm trap like Blizzard suggested. Then take the lewtz (which will probably be underwhelming) from the chests and collect the mossy cobblestone. The last time I peeked my head in the hole into the dungeon I had a volley of arrows launched my way. I can usually use line of sight to take out one of those fuckers at a time, but when there's a whole party of them...

I think if the lava idea doesn't work, I will load up on arrows and strafe the opening and kill a bunch of them from a safer distance and then kill the stragglers with my sword. Just wish it didn't take so many arrows to take one down. They'll probably spawn almost as fast as I would be able to kill them :lol

filipe

GDJustin said:
That's very clever. So Notch doesn't have a dead brother, as far as we know? If not then... good on the internet for trolling the (nearly) 100K minecraft owners!

Side note: Game will be crossing 100K sometime in the early hours of Sept. 2nd it looks like. Or late Sept. 1. Unbelievable.

Most people realize it was just a joke lol.

As for the 100K, it is rather unbelievable. This guy could have easily charged $30 bucks for this game and I would have paid it gladly. I use 30 as my base point because it's what I paid for HoN, and although I love HoN, I've gotten so many more hours from MC.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
If one skeleton shoots another, they will start firing at each other until one is dead.

I suggest peaking around the corner and bating them until this happens. The odds are fairly good a third skeleton will be caught in the crossfire.

Snaku

Banned
Blizzard said:
Try going into the options and turning the graphics to "fast", and maybe turning the draw distance down a notch or two. You can adjust it with 'F'.

Same result, overheated and shut down. Gonna have to load this onto my home PC...only I have no internet. I can transfer the .exe to it from my laptop, but will it still be the full game?

Blizzard

Banned
Snaku said:
Same result, overheated and shut down. Gonna have to load this onto my home PC...only I have no internet. I can transfer the .exe to it from my laptop, but will it still be the full game?
I think you will need to transfer the full data folder as well (\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft in Windows Vista for instance), but then you should be able to play in offline mode I'm guessing.

Snaku

Banned
Blizzard said:
I think you will need to transfer the full data folder as well (\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft in Windows Vista for instance), but then you should be able to play in offline mode I'm guessing.

Yeah, I figured it out. Made my first shelter, though I was only able to find one block of coal at the location that was generated. Made a few torches, and just dug deeper into the mountain till I found more. :D

This game scares the shit out of me when night falls. All those weird sounds coupled with the eerie silence. FU Minecraft! :lol

GDJustin

Snaku said:
Yeah, I figured it out. Made my first shelter, though I was only able to find one block of coal at the location that was generated. Made a few torches, and just dug deeper into the mountain till I found more. :D

This game scares the shit out of me when night falls. All those weird sounds coupled with the eerie silence. FU Minecraft! :lol

Those weird sounds are NOT ambiance, BTW. You will get fucked up if you venture out at night unprepared.

Huggy

Snaku said:

Maybe turn on the framerate limiter? I heard there are some videocards out there that can't handle producing frames as fast as they're allowed on simple scenes.

Spookie

GDJustin said:
Oooh! A newbie! As a grisled Minecraft veteran, I want to live vicariously through you. Would you rather us give you tips and tricks about what to do (and what you're hearing), or do you want to figure it out on your own?

I'm trying to figure out most of it on my own. But I don't understand why people would want to make things like mine carts. I don't understand their value. :(

Spookie said:
But I don't understand why people would want to make things like mine carts. I don't understand their value. :(

They make it easier to travel long distances, also you can create powered mine carts and mine carts with chests in, so you can transport more materials than your inventory could possibly hold, or you can build a roller coaster :p

Spookie

Bootaaay said:
They make it easier to travel long distances, also you can create powered mine carts and mine carts with chests in, so you can transport more materials than your inventory could possibly hold, or you can build a roller coaster :p

Cor. Might try that. Been cave diving looking for materials at the moment.

Hit upon another cave system while exploring where a waterfall went. Opened in to a huge pitch black room, tentatively wandered inside. Following a small alcove to see where it went.
Then a fucking arrow came out of no where and pegged me. I Squealed like a pig. :(

vermadas

Spookie said:
Cor. Might try that. Been cave diving looking for materials at the moment.

Hit upon another cave system while exploring where a waterfall went. Opened in to a huge pitch black room, tentatively wandered inside. Following a small alcove to see where it went.
Then a fucking arrow came out of no where and pegged me. I Squealed like a pig. :(

Hearing the arrow sound from unseen skeletons while exploring caves makes me jump every time. No other game does this to me. In fact, there have been a couple cases where I had my bow selected and went to right click on a chest or a button or something, and my own arrow shooting noise makes me jump :( On a related note, don't ever try to open chests or click buttons when you have a bucket o' lava in your hands; I learned this the hard way :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Caesar III said:
What I don't get about this picture is the snow somewhere! It's not everywhere. How does this work? Those wheater areas are a future feature, right?
Yeah. My guess is ether lots and lots of torches, or he put a bunch of glass in the sky. Would Lava or torches underground melt snow a tile above?

Drkirby said:
Yeah. My guess is ether lots and lots of torches, or he put a bunch of glass in the sky. Would Lava or torches underground melt snow a tile above?
There is no glass visible and the end of the map is about 10 blocks above the clouds only. And if there would be snow the glass would be full of snow and block the light as well.

God's Beard said:
Biomes maybe?
He talked about them but they are not implemented yet AFAIK

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Attempt to fill a small pond in the center of the room: failed
Understanding of Minecraft's water physics: bad
b6rl3t.png

Sciz

The_Technomancer said:
Water doesn't flow and fill areas like you would expect it to in reality.

You'll need to place the "blocks" of your pond individually, but fortunately water sources are self-replicating.

Code:
□W□W□W
W□W□W□
□W□W□W

Placing your water blocks in a pattern like this should fill in the empty squares as you go. Once one square starts refilling, you can use it as an infinite supply to place the rest.

There's two types of water blocks: water sources, and flowing water.

You can pick up water sources with a bucket. If you place a water source, you'll get flowing water in all directions, for a distance of about 5-6 blocks.

You can't pick up flowing water. If you find a flat lake, chances are it consists of only water sources.

In single player, there's a way to make your own lake without having to put water sources everywhere. E.g. if you have a 2x2 empty basin, you can put a source in the upper left, and one in the lower right, and the whole thing will become 'water source'.

However, in multi-player that doesn't work (yeT).

I bought this game a few days ago and it's become a sort of obsession. It took me a while to figure out what I was doing but I'm having tons of fun now.

For the first couple days all I did was cave explore and try to mine the good stuff. I built tunnels between my cave-bases and killed a zombie-spawn (it was right below my main spot and I couldn't take the noise!)

Now I've started building outdoors and it's like a whole new game. I have a crazy fortress half-built that connects three islands. I'm going to make a floating island with a roller coaster going down to it. This game is nuts.

Question: Does lava work like water where you can move it with buckets and direct it around? I want a fierce lava moat!

Sciz

Aquavelvaman said:
Question: Does lava work like water where you can move it with buckets and direct it around? I want a fierce lava moat!
Yes. Lava isn't self-replicating though, so you'll have to do quite a lot of hauling.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Goddamnit! So one of the reasons that I kept this most recent world was because near where I wanted to set up base was a giant cliff face with a waterfall and a massive pitch black cavern in its face. I'm talking like twenty-thirty blocks high giant gaping black orifice in the face of the stone. So I finally head in there, only to realize that I have no real way to make light since I didn't bring building suppplies and theres no walls for my torches. I try to get by on the brief fires from a flint and steel, and I get about twenty squares into the darkness and I'm ambushed by four creepers. I beat them off and a fifth one comes up from behind and kills me.

GDJustin

Yay:

29224 players online, in 598 servers.
493577 registered users, of which 100083 (20.27%) have bought the game.
In the last 24 hours, 8204 people registered, and 3024 people bought the game.

Vinci

Danish
The_Technomancer said:

I don't know, it sort of looks cool. Like a giant toilet beginning to flush.

Spookie

So I got bored of not finding any caves and dug down.

I didn't stop digging this happened.

Have I hit the centre of the Earth? :lol

What is that ore? :s

Spookie said:
Have I hit the centre of the Earth? :lol

What is that ore? :s

That is bedrock - it can't be mined and you should also be careful whenever you find it as gaps (like the one in your picture) can cause you to fall out of the map.

So it seems that Minecraft performance does rely heavily on the gpu, whilst before i thought it was mostly cpu based. A couple of days ago I bought KOTOR off Steam and it turned out I was getting a crappy 15-20 fps performance most of the time. My specs aren't great but they should be more than enough to run KOTOR at least (2.66ghz Pentium 4/Geforce 6200).

I presumed it to be a driver based issue at first so I've tried loads off different ones and finally leaving it at a random modded one from a few years ago (older drivers a usually considered better for a gpu of this age anyway). Unfortunately, FRAPS showed no change to KOTOR's framerate so my next step was to overclock the 6200 with Ntune, going from 300-350mhz. This did give me about 2fps more in KOTOR, but really only moves it from 10 steps to 9 steps from being playable (enjoyably at least). Anyway right now for that game I've pretty much given up trying to find the right optimisation and are suffering through with a crappy fps (still a good game though). Although weirdly the game acts like it's cpu limited, since changing resolutions only produces relatively small changes in framerate (it is rated for something like 1ghz P3s).

Anyway, back to Minecraft, I started playing it again today for the first time after GAFocalypse and to my astonishment I can now get 25-30fps average with the minimum fog level! To put that into perspective I was getting less than 5fps with the equivalent settings previously (I spent most of the time with maximum fog and an average fps of something like 30-50).

So I guess the moral of the story is for anybody who has an older and crappier gpu, like me, try testing out a few older and modded drivers, you might be surprised by the difference it can make. Overclocking a bit might help as well.

Well, I finally gave into temptation and picked this up a few minutes ago. I can tell I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one. I'm gonna build Silent Hill.

Anywho, man this game is aching for some ambiance. Waves crashing, wind sounds, birds, stuff like that would add a ton. Just alpha tho, so maybe it'll show up. Man, when you're digging, it makes this really cool beat. Swish swish swish swish swish swish SWISH swish

HenryGale said:
I'll give it a shot, on OSX, so I know it's a little involved. Not sure how to do it.
If you can get it running then put the ip up on the online thread and I'll join you. Don't forget about the port as well.

Had my first cool moment :lol

Was about to start mining into this big mountain, when I heard moans coming out of it. I thought "Hm, I do believe this mountain is infested with zombies." So off I went.

ZZMitch

OgTheClever said:
If you can get it running then put the ip up on the online thread and I'll join you. Don't forget about the port as well.

Every time I look at your avatar, I see a creeper.

Blizzard

Banned
As mentioned in the other thread...

@xnotch so, valve had you fly all the way from sweden to just....hang out?
@Bradel23 More or less, yes. I think they've got too much money.

Tragically, he can't comment on episode 3 I guess. ;_; "I'm not going to comment on anything like that!"

At least we learned one thing:
I met with Valve yesterday, and I can confirm Peels as a playable character in Left 5 Dead. No MC related news, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom