• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit new to minecraft, but I have a question. Can lava be used as lighting? ie, if I have a large glass pillar, could I fill it with lava and use that as a form of lighting?

or lets say make a hanging glass box and fill that with lava?

les papillons sexuels said:
I'm a bit new to minecraft, but I have a question. Can lava be used as lighting? ie, if I have a large glass pillar, could I fill it with lava and use that as a form of lighting?

Yes.

Blizzard

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:

Yes, but remember that lava will set anything flammable, such as wood, within two (?) squares or so on fire, even if there are stone walls in the way as far as I know. Glass is safe, just keep your wood etc. far away.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

Wrekt

I just started an online server for a few friends of mine but none of us have had any experience doing this before so I'd appreciate some help.

1) How can I enable / commands for members? Do i just have to promote them using OP or is there another tweak? Specifically looking to enable teleporting to other members.

2) Are inventories not persistent on servers? I had some people complain about disconnecting and coming back with nothing in their inventory or chests. For online games do most people just spawn in the items they need? How can I enable members to spawn in their own items? Can they spawn in things like lava or is it just items like axes or torches?

3) Almost everybody complained about lag spikes when day switched to night and vice versa. Is that common? They don't get the same spikes when playing in single player.

Thanks.

Wrekt said:
1) How can I enable / commands for members? Do i just have to promote them using OP or is there another tweak? Specifically looking to enable teleporting to other members.
Yes, just op them. You need to be admin/op yourself though!
2) Are inventories not persistent on servers? I had some people complain about disconnecting and coming back with nothing in their inventory or chests. For online games do most people just spawn in the items they need? How can I enable members to spawn in their own items? Can they spawn in things like lava or is it just items like axes or torches?
If you are using vanilla Minecraft server only OPs can spawn items! /give playername itemid amount is the syntax therefore. And yeah, they can spawn everything that way.
And yes, inventory and spawn areas are not saved so far :(
3) Almost everybody complained about lag spikes when day switched to night and vice versa. Is that common? They don't get the same spikes when playing in single player.
What's your server? I did not notice any lack or something so far. But we are only 5 players so far though.

Wrekt

I'm sure this is the first thing a million people have done but I'm not very creative.

MarioBlock.png

I need more gold blocks. I disconnected while I was holding like 50 of them and they all poofed though, so I just settled for iron until I can find some more.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wrekt said:
I'm sure this is the first thing a million people have done but I'm not very creative.

MarioBlock.png

I need more gold blocks. I disconnected while I was holding like 50 of them and they all poofed though, so I just settled for iron until I can find some more.
Haha, dude, you have to get several hundred clay and turn them to bricks, and then get a lot more gold and smelt it down into solid gold blocks.

I tried this game but it just doesn't cut it for me. I can understand the appeal of wanting to create stuff from raw materials but doing it virtually just leaves me feeling empty. I'd rather build an ugly little chair in real life than a giant house in a game.

akachan ningen said:
I tried this game but it just doesn't cut it for me. I can understand the appeal of wanting to create stuff from raw materials but doing it virtually just leaves me feeling empty. I'd rather build an ugly little chair in real life than a giant house in a game.

I hardly even play for the creative aspect. I've put well over 30 hours into one world and all I have is this crappy little castle with four box-shaped rooms plus a few shacks I've placed about the world as outposts.

Pimpbaa

akachan ningen said:

It's about exploring for me, not creating.

HappyBivouac said:
I hardly even play for the creative aspect. I've put well over 30 hours into one world and all I have is this crappy little castle with four box-shaped rooms plus a few shacks I've placed about the world as outposts.

So why do you play it?

Pimpbaa said:

Really? All the areas are basically the same, just different random layouts.

Blizzard

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Some people like exploring and surviving in caves and such, other people like creating (creative mode). The game is good for both. Exploring and surviving should get more interesting with the future features Notch is planning. :)

Bison11

I just played for like 4 hours. I had a mine going, but I got confused with the layout, so I just started to dig a staircase down. I would turn it every once in a while, and I stopped when I got to the bedrock. So then I built a staircase up, until I hit daylight. There are some off chutes for when I saw some gold, redstone, or iron, but its pretty much a giant staircase in the back of my base....

Tomorrow I am going to build a waterslide from the top of the mountain my base is dug into to, to the ground. Should be cool.

WEGGLES

Dumb question... can you delete blocks?

I've mined a bunch of rock. How do I get rid of it, aside from placing it somewhere else?

And can I store blocks somehow?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
WEGGLES said:

I've mined a bunch of rock. How do I get rid of it, aside from placing it somewhere else?

Uh you can craft storage crates..........

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
WEGGLES said:

Chests to store them, you make them with 8 wood planks.

WEGGLES said:

You can throw them on the ground. Hit i, select what you want to drop, and click on the space outside inventory box. It will drop on the ground, and disappear in 3 mins (I believe it's 3 mins).

Alternatively, you can put it in a chest. (In single-player, it will stay in the chest. Multiplayer does not support this yet).

Wrekt

The_Technomancer said:
Haha, dude, you have to get several hundred clay and turn them to bricks, and then get a lot more gold and smelt it down into solid gold blocks.
Unfortunately I did that on my server and it seems that smelting and such are not working in multiplayer. Replacing the iron ore with gold ore is about as good as it is gonna get :(.

WEGGLES

Are there caverns in the Alpha mode?

I played Classic before buying it and would find natural caverns all over the place... now though. I've mined a ton. Best I've found is a small room (6x8x4) with a magma floor :{.

Blizzard

Banned
WEGGLES said:
Are there caverns in the Alpha mode?

I played Classic before buying it and would find natural caverns all over the place... now though. I've mined a ton. Best I've found is a small room (6x8x4) with a magma floor :{.
Yeah, there are huge cave systems with all sorts of lava, waterfalls, and ore. Sometimes you'll see giant, black cave openings on cliff sides.

WEGGLES

Blizzard said:
Yeah, there are huge cave systems with all sorts of lava, waterfalls, and ore. Sometimes you'll see giant, black cave openings on cliff sides.
I've tunneled a TON and must be just barely missing this cave system or something. :lol I'll keep looking.

Need Iron so bad .

Blizzard

Banned
WEGGLES said:
I've tunneled a TON and must be just barely missing this cave system or something. :lol I'll keep looking.

Need Iron so bad .
Well you might have been unlucky, but by far the easiest way to find caves is to run around on the outside of mountains or next to beaches, and then start digging inside caves there until you stop finding passages and ore. If you don't have any nearby, make a new world or explore further in your existing one. You can probably use something like Mineedit if you really want to move your spawnpoint and you don't want to give you up your existing world, since exploring caves is presumably dangerous. :p

WEGGLES

Blizzard said:
Well you might have been unlucky, but by far the easiest way to find caves is to run around on the outside of mountains or next to beaches, and then start digging inside caves there until you stop finding passages and ore. If you don't have any nearby, make a new world or explore further in your existing one. You can probably use something like Mineedit if you really want to move your spawnpoint and you don't want to give you up your existing world, since exploring caves is presumably dangerous. :p
I don't wanna make a new world because my first world was snowy. :D

I think I'll look around on beaches.

Is armor worth it?

WEGGLES

Hahaha. Ok. I have iron armor, but it's wearing out. wondered if it was worth makin another set.

What's gold good for? Made a gold pick and it broke faster than stone/iron.

Sciz

Armor is what keeps creepers from one-shotting you, first and foremost. The damage reduction is very nice against everything else anyway, but direct creeper blasts are lethal without protection.

Gold is, at least for now, purely cosmetic for all practical purposes. Making gear from it is only as effective and durable as wood. Whenever he gets around to implementing a magic system, it's supposed to be more useful than other materials.

commissar

Sciz said:
Gold is, at least for now, purely cosmetic for all practical purposes. Making gear from it is only as effective and durable as wood. Whenever he gets around to implementing a magic system, it's supposed to be more useful than other materials.
:0 teleporters or bust. my main base is a solid 5 min walk from spawn

Gui_PT

Sciz said:
Armor is what keeps creepers from one-shotting you, first and foremost. The damage reduction is very nice against everything else anyway, but direct creeper blasts are lethal without protection.

Magic system? Is that confirmed?

Sciz

There are a couple direct references to magic I can find via some quick googling. There are also endless amounts of secondhand references to it on forums everywhere (which is where the gold bit comes from), so I assume he actually has brought it up slightly more in-depth in the past on Twitter or in IRC or something like that. Or it's just the internet making mountains out of molehills as it tends to do.

Someone could always just tweet him and ask, he seems to respond to a lot of questions like that.

WEGGLES

Sciz said:

Does better armor protect better, or just last longer?

I finally found a cave and went exploring. Got a ton of iron, decided to dig up and out... found two skeles and 4 creepers. Fucking died ;_;

All my tools are gone. All my armor is gone. All the iron I had collected gone ;_;. I could go back and get it... but I have no idea where it is. FFFFFFFFF

Next time I'll bring a sword. Pick Axe does nothing to enemies it seems.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
commissar said:
:0 teleporters or bust. my main base is a solid 5 min walk from spawn
Honestly? Invest the iron in building a minecart track from spawn to your base, and then set up a booster that will accelerate you along at top speed.

Sciz

WEGGLES said:
Does better armor protect better, or just last longer?

Next time I'll bring a sword. Pick Axe does nothing to enemies it seems.
Lasts longer.

Tools actually do deal more damage to monsters than your fists, varying depending on what kind of tool it is and what material it's made of. Swords > tools, though.

WEGGLES

Sciz said:
Lasts longer.

Tools actually do deal more damage to monsters than your fists, varying depending on what kind of tool it is and what material it's made of. Swords > tools, though.
Yeah. Pick Axe didn't seem to do much.

Whats the best way to deal with the skeletons?

Even when I faced one with a sword it got more than a few hits on me...

ZZMitch

WEGGLES said:

Skellys are tough, I usually try to use the environment to my advantage by finding a certain area that I can hit it but it can't hit me. I think you get what I mean.

If I can't do that I pull out my bow and shoot rapidly.

If I don't have a bow I charge in swinging my sword as fast as I can and hope to take as little damage as possible, or I just retreat and come back latter.

WEGGLES

ZZMitch said:
Skellys are tough, I usually try to use the environment to my advantage by finding a certain area that I can hit it but it can't hit me. I think you get what I mean.

If I can't do that I pull out my bow and shoot rapidly.

If I don't have a bow I charge in swinging my sword as fast as I can and hope to take as little damage as possible, or I just retreat and come back latter.
I think my main problems were
1. no sword
2. Food not equipped
3. Tried to run. Found a wall.
:lol

It's a kick in the nuts to loose all that I lost, which seems like everything (but probably wasn't much of anything...)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The_Technomancer said:
Alright here is a brief look at my current base/mine, if anyone's interested. The only really interesting part is that I've dug a huge staircase down to bedrock, and to get back up I built a booster and convoluted minecart track up following the stairwell. I think its pretty neat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJiQIc6Chss
Really cool. Having Beethoven makes it cooler.

WEGGLES said:

They can't seem to hit you if you strafe, to get close, strafe until an arrow is fired, then move in a bit and strafe again, repeating until you're close enough to kill. Or Bow and Arrow his ass.

fresquito

I've finally got the game. I think it's fantastic so far, but I'm a bit lost. Yesterday I watched some videos showing the beginning of the game, and while I paid some attention, to get the hook of it, I can't remember many of the things I saw. So, I know you can create torches, but I don't know how, or I know you can create armors, but don't know how.

I'm not too worried, since I've started playing just today, but I'm wondering if I should check some guide. I'm leaning towards to no. One of the best things about being lost in an unknown land, is to discover everything. On the other hand, although the texture work is clear enough, having names to highlight what's the material I've got would be welcomed.

I guess I'll go on my own for now, and ask for some help if I need it. Awesome idea, awesome execution too. I don't have many complaints so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom