• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

fugimax

Visualante said:
Yup. Gotta be careful around lava.
Damnit. I was down deep mining.. had diamonds, red dust, gold ... ARGH.

Are there any tips on finding those materials faster? I really wanted a diamond pick-axe and sword. :(

fugimax said:
Damnit. I was down deep mining.. had diamonds, red dust, gold ... ARGH.

Are there any tips on finding those materials faster? I really wanted a diamond pick-axe and sword. :(
dig to the ground then 10 up and do this:

X representing a wall

XXXXXXXXXX

XXX XXX XXX
X  X X  X X  X  
XXX XXX XXX

XXX XXX XXX
X  X X  X X  X
XXX XXX XXX

XXXXXXXXXX

Blizzard

Banned
maniac-kun said:
dig to the ground then 10 up nd do this:
Some legends have it that you will actually find minerals faster if you find cave systems and follow them from the surface, concentrating your mining on the walls of the cave and wherever you see ore.

Of course, that would depend on if you actually have any caves near where you are in your world.

Blizzard said:
Some legends have it that you will actually find minerals faster if you find cave systems and follow them from the surface, concentrating your mining on the walls of the cave and wherever you see ore.

Of course, that would depend on if you actually have any caves near where you are in your world.
i got full diamond armor and tools in 30 min with this :p

Blizzard

Banned
maniac-kun said:
i got full diamond armor and tools in 30 min with this :p
How can the legends lie?! Next, I will claim your way isn't as "fun".

What do you mean to the ground and 10 up though? Down to the bedrock, then build yourself back up 10 higher? So you would make open holes where those spaces are (not the X spots) that reach all the way down to bedrock, then fill them back up on your way to the surface?

...if so, how did you not fall into lava on the way down? :p Or maybe you meant go down to the bedrock, hopefully not hitting the lava, climb back up 10 spaces, and dig that pattern around? But you would have to check in the center of those solid 9x9 blocks somehow, right?

Sciz

Blizzard said:
You'll burn through less equipment that way by a long shot, but the distribution of all subsurface materials is so even that there are huge quantities of them that natural caves completely miss. The intrigue of discovering what the terrain generator came up with and the threat of monsters definitely has an appeal, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a smart strip mining technique is more efficient at producing the good stuff.

Just had the biggest scare ever.. Walking through a new-found cave, planting torches and whatever.. I turn around the corner, and the sound was pretty loud at this point, and suddenly this Piano music starts and it scared the living hell out of me.. :lol

Banzaiaap said:
Just had the biggest scare ever.. Walking through a new-found cave, planting torches and whatever.. I turn around the corner, and the sound was pretty loud at this point, and suddenly this Piano music starts and it scared the living hell out of me.. :lol
one time it was getting dark i was on my way back to my fort i heard someting turned around HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS BOOOM i jumped up and screamed
i never got that scared in a game before :lol

WEGGLES

Goddammit >:[

Where can I get iron that doesn't involve caves full of zombies that kill me.

I had armor... but I died WAY deep in a cave I happened across by chance. Now I have no armor. Shitty stone tools and every cave I find is full of enemies that kill me so easily ;_;

fresquito said:
I've finally got the game. I think it's fantastic so far, but I'm a bit lost. Yesterday I watched some videos showing the beginning of the game, and while I paid some attention, to get the hook of it, I can't remember many of the things I saw. So, I know you can create torches, but I don't know how, or I know you can create armors, but don't know how.

I'm not too worried, since I've started playing just today, but I'm wondering if I should check some guide. I'm leaning towards to no. One of the best things about being lost in an unknown land, is to discover everything. On the other hand, although the texture work is clear enough, having names to highlight what's the material I've got would be welcomed.

I guess I'll go on my own for now, and ask for some help if I need it. Awesome idea, awesome execution too. I don't have many complaints so far.

http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

the rest you should figure out on your own imo.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
WEGGLES said:
Goddammit >:[

Where can I get iron that doesn't involve caves full of zombies that kill me.

I had armor... but I died WAY deep in a cave I happened across by chance. Now I have no armor. Shitty stone tools and every cave I find is full of enemies that kill me so easily ;_;

Swords.

And run away from archers like a little girl.

WEGGLES

Spire said:
Swords.

And run away from archers like a little girl.
Built a bow, I like it better than the sword. It's practically rapid fire. :D

Found what I thought was a small cave and went in. Got 17 iron ore, 4 iron bars, 4 buckets and 3 saddles.... having trouble finding my home again though ;_;

Good thing I built a Inukshuk on the top of the mountain near my house so I can at least have a vague idea where to go.

Does anybody know of any decent servers to play on at the moment? I just can't find one I feel like coming back to since GAFland closed.

WEGGLES

Oh god. I got lost again.

I went out to get some logs to make some sticks for tools/torches and I got lost.

Took me 40 mins to get back.

Fuckin scary at night. Holy shit. :lol

ZZMitch

WEGGLES said:
Oh god. I got lost again.

I went out to get some logs to make some sticks for tools/torches and I got lost.

Took me 40 mins to get back.

Fuckin scary at night. Holy shit. :lol

I build a small tower going up as high as I could and put torches on it so I wouldn't get lost. If you play with minimum fog it is an invaluable asset.

WEGGLES

ZZMitch said:
I build a small tower going up as high as I could and put torches on it so I wouldn't get lost. If you play with minimum fog it is an invaluable asset.
I had a statue covered in torches on a mountain near my house.
Even with fog off I couldn't see it. :{

I only got home 'cause I happened to catch light from the tunnel straight thru the mountain in front of my house.

fresquito

This game is really frightening -not only because you spend hour after hour crafting little tools-. I was at home, at night, crafting and shorting my stuff, when I suddenly hear an arrow passing by. I'm like "WTF". I look and see nothing, but I hear noises about. Then I go to the oven and get shot. I look and see one of those nasty archers shooting through my door. It's almost dawn, so I pick my sword and open the door. I hit him, he stumbles, I see a glimpse of him catching fire, then a burst and he's gone. Then suddenly I hear another grumbling, I look above and see one of those green creatures jumping over me, I run away, but he explodes. I'm not deeply hurt, but my house is. I was waiting to change its face, use some newly found bricks. This is the time to do the job. Always look on the bright side of life, they say.

Some minutes earlier I explored my first cave. It was dark, but I went crazy with torches, so everything was fine. Until I realise I'm a little too deep to my liking and I start hearing noises coming from about. I try to escape from the cave, but I have a hard time finding the entrance. It is pitch black outside, so I only see some stars in the sky, but I can hardly see blocks to jump on. In the end, I use some torches more and run away in panic.

Minecraft is utterly awesome. My only complaint so far is that I'd love having the names for each block in the inventary. Another complain is that it looks like it will drain my life :-(

Spookie

Minecraft: Shitting Bricks

I'm currently trying to explore a cave system but all I hear is skeletons shifting about and zombies groaning. I've hit the motherload on Iron ore so I know they is likely 20 creeper spawns about 5 feet away.

I'm terrified. Now I can't sleep. :(

Bison11

This is such an addicting game. I just built a cool waterslide from the top of the mountain to the lake below. Then I was wondering what I could do, so I built this little farm house with a secret entrance to my base. I love this game. I cant wait to see what other things get added later.

fresquito

Is there any way to get rid of an spawning point? I had the stupid idea to build my house just beneath one, and each morning, it's hunting game. Spiders are not problematic, but green creatures that explode are a pain in the ass, because they like exploding near my house.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Only way to get rid of a spawn point is to surround it with blocks. You should be able to find the spawn cage.

fresquito

I'll look into it. Can you actually see them spawning? I guess I'll have to sharpen my sword and ready my bow for the incoming night(s) :D

fresquito

It's pretty hard. It seems like spiders, zombies and green creatures have a very close spawn, or they spawn like crazy, can't tell. Only thing I know is they spawn not that near my house, then they come at full speed to where I am.

I'll have to think about a good solution, because each dawn is war. But going on a night hunting has proven to be not very usefull.

Log4Girlz

WEGGLES said:
I had a statue covered in torches on a mountain near my house.
Even with fog off I couldn't see it. :{

I only got home 'cause I happened to catch light from the tunnel straight thru the mountain in front of my house.

If I go exploring I leave a bread-crumb trail of torches :)

Spookie

fresquito said:
It's pretty hard. It seems like spiders, zombies and green creatures have a very close spawn, or they spawn like crazy, can't tell. Only thing I know is they spawn not that near my house, then they come at full speed to where I am.

You could place a metric tonne of torches close to the walls and area they spawn to prevent them from getting in to aggro range so to speak.

f0rk

is there an easy way of dealing with a spawn cage that's in a lake? I can see some fire and hear zombies in the water, but it's really dark down there :<
I guess theres some chests as well.

You can kill spawn cages if you hit it for a while (I just used a pickaxe). Also if you sneak in and place torches all around the room that it's in and then leave and come back, there won't be any enemies because they won't spawn near the torches and they just disapear when you get far away.

For an underwater one I bet you could build some sort of tunnel that leads directly underneath it, and then just pick away at it from below. You could probably just drop a bunch of sand blocks on top of it and around it to smother it and be fine too.

fresquito

I finally made a big wall around the heights of my house. I put torches on the wall and waited there for enemies to spawn. They didn't. It turns they don't spawn that near, but they come close at full speed when the night falls.

So I cleared the area inside, and prepared to have one big sweet garden. Then the game crashed and lost the wall and all I did for the last hour or so. The funny thing is it seems I kept all the crafted stuff.

BTW, While doing this wall a doubt arose: how do you make stone stairs properly? I couldn't create them. In fact I think the game just gor bored at me trying and crashed :lol Each time I tried, the stairs would look wherever they wanted. Then I'd add a new piece and it'd change directions. It's cracy!

2lj2j9y.jpg

It looks like Minecraft will soon be speeding up with development:
Hiring some people, getting an office, and all that!

I will get back to posting about actual Minecraft development soon, but bear with me for some more business news:

It’s Monday, the trip to Bellevue is over, and plans are slowly turning into reality. I met a lot of really interesting people over there and got a bunch of new potential business contacts, but for the immediate future I will be investing the money I’ve saved up into hiring people and starting up a proper company.

Or, rather, a close friend and I will be starting up a new company together. That company will continue to develop Minecraft. I will be the main developer, and I will keep working on it just as I have now, but there will be people supporting me, such as an artist, a web site developer and a business guy to help sort out all deals and make sure that things like the Creeper plushies actually happens.
My friend (name withheld for a while for office political reasons) will lead development of a game idea he and I have talked about for a few years. It will be developed in parallel with Minecraft, and has a fairly different style both in visuals and gameplay. Everyone working at the company will be involved in both projects to some degree.

We’ll get an actual office type of thing somewhere in Stockholm. We’ll have mandatory game playing hours every week to make sure people are a jour with the latest games (indie and otherwise), and to help build office spirit.

If you live in (or can move to) Stockholm, are good at 2D graphics (pixels, gui, illustration), play a lot of games, and want to get a new job, please email jobs@mojang.com with a work sample and a short introduction and a summary of what you’ve done before.

We’re also looking for a web developer. Ideally this person should both be able to handle the front end and the back end of web development. If you know what a “Cloud” is and can explain it to me, that’s a huge plus. ;)

[edit:]

If you’re worried this means I’ll spend more time on administration:

I spent way too much time already doing non-development stuff, like talking to paypal about them unlocking my account, traveling abroad, and sorting through support emails to see what bugs there are.

I will now hire a person to do all this for me, and some more people to help do the stuff I can’t do well myself (like the website, and some of the art (the armor)). I’m already getting amazing help with the sounds from C418, so I know getting help just makes me more productive. :D
http://notch.tumblr.com/

Zaphod

This is indeed good news. Good news for Notch and good news for me because I can't wait for inventory and creepers in multi player.

Sounds fantastic, though I am slightly worried he wants to develop a second game with his friend at the same time.

Also in the comments in the blog post he said he's also hiring additional programmers. Rad.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Those of you a little bored with minecraft, not knowing what to do in the game while updates have slowed, please remember I set up http://www.minecraftcreations.com.

It is a blog that takes user's submissions and publishes them. Readers can sort the submissions into categories, vote on projects, etc.

It hasn't been updated very much because the site is user-driven, and I haven't promoted it too much.

So, I've seen a ton of cool shit in this topic. PLEASE take some of your collect projects and submit them to minecraftcreations@gmail.com! Or create something new for the site! Try to top the leaderboards.

GDJustin said:
Those of you a little bored with minecraft, not knowing what to do in the game while updates have slowed, please remember I set up http://www.minecraftcreations.com.

It is a blog that takes user's submissions and publishes them. Readers can sort the submissions into categories, vote on projects, etc.

It hasn't been updated very much because the site is user-driven, and I haven't promoted it too much.

So, I've seen a ton of cool shit in this topic. PLEASE take some of your collect projects and submit them to minecraftcreations@gmail.com! Or create something new for the site! Try to top the leaderboards.

Taj Mahal is very neat. I wish I was good enough to get a rounded roof like that, I've tried doing it on some of my buildings and it comes out horribly. =/

WEGGLES

Went exploring today. Found an awesome island, but it's a 20 minute walk from my "main" camp (IF you can call a cobblestone shed with a workbench and furnace in it a camp :lol)

How much iron would I need to build a mine cart track that's approximately 20 mins of walking. I have 55 right now, but I imagine that's not nearly enough. I'd love to do some serious building on that island. It was amazing. Had awesome mountains, a waterfall a nice valley with a stream and such... but if I die it's a 20 minute blind walk with nothing to get there.

Also Copia by Eluvium goes incredibly well with this game :)

Blizzard

Banned
fresquito said:
BTW, While doing this wall a doubt arose: how do you make stone stairs properly? I couldn't create them. In fact I think the game just gor bored at me trying and crashed :lol Each time I tried, the stairs would look wherever they wanted. Then I'd add a new piece and it'd change directions. It's cracy!
I don't know if running with "fast" graphics will make it crash any less, but just a warning, you might want to hit escape to go to the menu every 10-20 minutes or so, or maybe even save to the main menu if you're paranoid. I think hitting escape makes the game autosave so you will lose less stuff. :)

WEGGLES

Oh no.... oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You can't build tracks on ice?!

Well shit... my mine cart to the island is going to take that much longer ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom