• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
maniac-kun said:
dig to the ground then 10 up and do this:

X representing a wall

XXXXXXXXXX

XXX XXX XXX
X  X X  X X  X  
XXX XXX XXX

XXX XXX XXX
X  X X  X X  X
XXX XXX XXX

XXXXXXXXXX

Simple parallel drifts every 3rd row are a hair more efficient and uncover everything. I only do it if I can't find a nearby cave system to have fun exploring.

fresquito

So another day, another plethora of Minecraft experiences. I'm exploring my first mine. It's very exciting, but I'm going little by little. I like doing things in a fancy way, getting windows to see the sky and things like that. So it takes time. Today I created my first waterfall. It was a pleasing experience. I've been securing my house and making it feel confortable and cute at once.

I'm yet to understand many things and build many things, but I'm going little by little and enjoying my time very much. It's like a hellish Animal Crossing with a flavor of a kiddie Diablo. :D

I love it. Probably the best game I've played this year.

i really hope he introduces a couple rpg mechanics and a leveling ability to the game.

Something like fighter (+dmg), crafter(+durability), forager(increased drop), and miner(+dig speed).

If you want a disgusting story and a laugh, check out this Minecraft/troll story over at 420chan. Involves poop, the thread contains no pictures- unfortunately. I'd love to see what kind of a state this clown lives in.

meh removed the link, too lowbrow for GAF I figure.

Dragmire

WEGGLES said:
Went exploring today. Found an awesome island, but it's a 20 minute walk from my "main" camp (IF you can call a cobblestone shed with a workbench and furnace in it a camp :lol)

How much iron would I need to build a mine cart track that's approximately 20 mins of walking. I have 55 right now, but I imagine that's not nearly enough. I'd love to do some serious building on that island. It was amazing. Had awesome mountains, a waterfall a nice valley with a stream and such... but if I die it's a 20 minute blind walk with nothing to get there.

Also Copia by Eluvium goes incredibly well with this game :)
I can't even imagine how much it would take. A powered minecart actually moves more slowly than walking. Your best bet is to use a program to move your spawn point. I'm not exactly sure how, but I know some people do it.

WEGGLES

Dragmire said:
I can't even imagine how much it would take. A powered minecart actually moves more slowly than walking. Your best bet is to use a program to move your spawn point. I'm not exactly sure how, but I know some people do it.
It's worth noting, I'd be trekking across ice, and could do the boosting thing.

Visualante said:
If you want a disgusting story and a laugh, check out this Minecraft/troll story over at 420chan. Involves poop, the thread contains no pictures- unfortunately. I'd love to see what kind of a state this clown lives in.
I've nearly shat my self playing Minecraft, but that was because of a fucking creeper out of nowhere. (I actually yelled in terror from the sudden explosion that broke the silence)

Jesus murphey. Ass naked. Shit on the floor. Didn't clean it up because no one would be home for a week... implying he'd leave it?

The worst I've done is spilled pizza filling from a hotpocket and left it for 5 mins till I finished eating since it was on the floor, not carpet.

Visualante said:
If you want a disgusting story and a laugh, check out this Minecraft/troll story over at 420chan.

Why would you even link to that? Some unfunny made up story, where people who reply try to one-up the OP? SMH

perryfarrell said:
Why would you even link to that? Some unfunny made up story, where people who reply try to one-up the OP? SMH
You're too cynical. I've linked this to like 5 people, some of whom don't frequent chans or play Minecraft. They all laughed until it hurt. You're just dead inside.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
WEGGLES said:
I've nearly shat my self playing Minecraft, but that was because of a fucking creeper out of nowhere. (I actually yelled in terror from the sudden explosion that broke the silence)
Oh yes, I've been there :lol

Dragmire

WEGGLES said:
It's worth noting, I'd be trekking across ice, and could do the boosting thing.
That would definitely shorten your trip. I can't find any information on how much faster you can travel by boosting, but I imagine it's three or four times faster than walking (which, if true, could make the trip 5-7 minutes long instead of 20). So it depends on whether you're willing to travel that far every time you respawn. Also, if you die that far away, I don't know if you can make it back to your items before they disappear. I'm not sure of the exact amount of time they stay there, but I think it's 5 minutes or so.

fresquito

Does gravel have any use? At first I was happy when I found a vein of gravel, because it was a different mineral. But after having collected a ton of it, and found no use, I'm not sure I find it interesting anymore.

Vlad

fresquito said:
Does gravel have any use? At first I was happy when I found a vein of gravel, because it was a different mineral. But after having collected a ton of it, and found no use, I'm not sure I find it interesting anymore.

When you break it, there's a chance it will drop flint, which is used to make arrows and a flint and steel.

Insaniac

fresquito said:
Thank, I knew that already. I was asking about collected gravel. Maybe I will build some statue with it if it's of no use.

fairly useless as of now. not even a good building material because it is affected by gravity

Vlad

Insaniac said:
fairly useless as of now. not even a good building material because it is affected by gravity

I've found that it's handy as a good filler material. I was trying to bring a good-sized chunk of map up to a certain level so I could cover it with dirt/grass for a tree farming area, and it was using a TON of dirt to fill in the lower-lying areas. I ended up using the gravel to fill in the lower areas, and just covered the top layer with dirt.

kkg1701

fresquito said:
Thank, I knew that already. I was asking about collected gravel. Maybe I will build some statue with it if it's of no use.

Place it and dig it up again, easy way to get flint since even placed gravel can become flint it seems.

KK

Vlad

WEGGLES said:
Went exploring today. Found an awesome island, but it's a 20 minute walk from my "main" camp (IF you can call a cobblestone shed with a workbench and furnace in it a camp :lol)

How much iron would I need to build a mine cart track that's approximately 20 mins of walking. I have 55 right now, but I imagine that's not nearly enough. I'd love to do some serious building on that island. It was amazing. Had awesome mountains, a waterfall a nice valley with a stream and such... but if I die it's a 20 minute blind walk with nothing to get there.

Also Copia by Eluvium goes incredibly well with this game :)

Thankfully, iron goes a long way when it comes to making tracks. Six iron and one stick will give you sixteen pieces of track. Sure, you go through those fast when you're making a large track system, but I was expecting it to be a lot worse before I crafted my first sections of track, as the rest of the game's crafting recipes yield a maximum of 4 of the crafted object.

Jon_K

Neo Member
Just got into the alpha and playing around building castles.
Whenever I start a new world, I end up hiding during night-time until I get coal for torches. Is there anyway to fast forward night?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jon_K said:
Just got into the alpha and playing around building castles.
Whenever I start a new world, I end up hiding during night-time until I get coal for torches. Is there anyway to fast forward night?
No. The game's divided equally in two phases, and night's one of them.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Caesar III said:
AFAIK it's not equal! Day time is a bit longer. Notch changed it a few times already.
Oh yeah? I never knew that.

But, yeah, you have to deal with the night.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Philthy said:
Best way to get through night is to just do your mining,then come back out to build during the day.

It ends up breaking the monotony for me quite nicely. Instead of getting tunnel vision on a particular megaproject the day/night cycle keeps me alternating between multiple projects.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Woo-Fu said:
It ends up breaking the monotony for me quite nicely. Instead of getting tunnel vision on a particular megaproject the day/night cycle keeps me alternating between multiple projects.
How do you know it's the day when you're deep inside a mine?

WEGGLES

Dragmire said:
That would definitely shorten your trip. I can't find any information on how much faster you can travel by boosting, but I imagine it's three or four times faster than walking (which, if true, could make the trip 5-7 minutes long instead of 20). So it depends on whether you're willing to travel that far every time you respawn. Also, if you die that far away, I don't know if you can make it back to your items before they disappear. I'm not sure of the exact amount of time they stay there, but I think it's 5 minutes or so.
I think if you die they stay longer.

I died in some weird room with chests and a cage thing in my deepest mine and it takes longer than 5 mins to get there and my diamond pickaxe was still there :D.

I think boosting gets you up to full speed.

Is there any way to make a "station" on a looping track? Where the cart will stop? Or will I have to just put a gap?

fresquito

Do monster spawn at night inside caves? I keep being paranoid of some monster crreping behind me while I'm mining, because night came down and I didn't realise. BTW, I'm an odd fellow. I have some resources at hand and my only focus now is making the mine look good and be confortable (doing stairs, etc).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
fresquito said:
Do monster spawn at night inside caves? I keep being paranoid of some monster crreping behind me while I'm mining, because night came down and I didn't realise. BTW, I'm an odd fellow. I have some resources at hand and my only focus now is making the mine look good and be confortable (doing stairs, etc).
If it's dark, yes, a monster can spawn there.

If it's lit up with torches, no monster will spawn there (but it will spawn deeper, where it's dark, and come towards you eventually).

fresquito

drizzle said:
If it's dark, yes, a monster can spawn there.

If it's lit up with torches, no monster will spawn there (but it will spawn deeper, where it's dark, and come towards you eventually).
Great, because I'm used to close gaps that I haven't lit already, so I don't have problems when mining.

I have found that if you dig a really long straight tunnel you can see the fog in the distance, and the fog color changes with the time. It will be blue during the day and dark at night.

press the "F" key and you will see the skybox flash while it changes the fog distance, stars and black = night, blue and bright = day

Woo-Fu

Banned
I am so lost. I'm so lost that I needed a utility just to see exactly how lost I am.

I got lost in an underground cave system and decided to tunnel to the surface and find my way back that way. On the surface I didn't see any landmarks I recognized. Being close to the sea I decided to build a boat and follow the coastline until I would eventually find my nursery which is visible from the shoreline, particularly at night.

Five in-game days later I decided my plan wasn't working very well, lol.

This is a render of the map at nighttime. That lighted area in the NW chunk of the map is a sizable fort with attached tree nursery. The individual lights away from the fort where I exited the cave system and used torches to mark the exits.

I am in a boat in the far east somewhere. If I build a bunch of torches each night and then do another map render I should be able to plot my way back.

2yjx8aq.jpg

WillyFive

I tried the free version. I thought it was just an imitation of Roblox, until I saw the option for 3D glasses, and I got hooked for like two hours just messing around. It was nice.

WEGGLES

Where do you take that map picture of minecraft?

Willy105 said:
I tried the free version. I thought it was just an imitation of Roblox, until I saw the option for 3D glasses, and I got hooked for like two hours just messing around. It was nice.
Free version doesn't compare to the alpha game.

So much more to the non-classic version.

MNC

Willy105 said:
Compares nothing to Roblox! This is actually fun! :(

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've watched like 15 hours worth of Youtube videos about this game and I'm fucking obsessed. I want to play it so bad. I don't have any cash at the moment but as soon as I get paid this week I intend to pick it up. In the mean time I've been trying to play the free version just to get a sense of how it's going to handle on my shitty laptop. Unfortunately I keep getting a stupid Java error whenever it starts up, after which my browser (tried IE and Firefox) locks up:

"java.lang.illegalargumentexception: input == null"

I've google'd that and found about a dozen other people that are getting similar problems both in the browser version and with the client after they purchase it but I haven't found any solution in any of the threads I found. Anybody have any clue what this is or how to fix it? I've tried updating Java and my video drivers to no avail. I'd really like to figure out what the hell is going on before I buy it since I've come to the conclusion that my life will not be complete until I play this game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I know it's a little dumb to spawn a new world just before a game update (likely a big one too), because there might be changes to how worlds are generated. But I couldn't help myself this afternoon. Made a bunch of worlds one after the other, in the hopes of finding something new/interesting.

When you can make worlds over and over, it tends to make a person picky. I now will frequently delete a world if I don't see coal within about the first 10 seconds. :lol

Anyway, I ended up finding a keeper.

1) Is this what I think it is, RIGHT at my spawn location?

newworld1.png

2) Yes. Yes it is. It seems to be somewhat glitched - it is filled with sand and I was able to dig right to the storage chests. I've left it for now but will eventually build some glass and use it to harvest string. I'm lucky it is a spider dungeon. String is the only non-renewable resource in the game.

newworld2.png

3) There are also naturally formed mega-trees right by spawn.

newworld3.png

4) Even with the odd dungeon I was still considering deleting the world, but I decided to dig a spiral mine shaft straight down, to see what I could find. I eventually dug into a big cave system, and this was the very first thing I saw:

newworld4.png

Talk about luck, right? The cave is HUGE in the way that only other Minecraft players can understand. And I've only found *one* more diamond. Crazy I bumped into three right away, so far up from the bedrock.

The cave is mostly monster-free too. Some skeletons, and that's about it.

...so yeah. I think this world is a keeper. Hopefully Biomes or something else awesome but save-breaking aren't introduced Friday :lol

Edit: Oh yeah it also had papyrus and cactus right by spawn, which also led to my decision to keep this one.

Edit2: given the sand-filled dungeon, supertrees, and suspiciously high-elevation diamonds, I'm think world gen was a little bugged and might have elevated some stuff (or all stuff) ~15-25 blocks, or something.

Blizzard

Banned
LiQuid! said:
I've watched like 15 hours worth of Youtube videos about this game and I'm fucking obsessed. I want to play it so bad. I don't have any cash at the moment but as soon as I get paid this week I intend to pick it up. In the mean time I've been trying to play the free version just to get a sense of how it's going to handle on my shitty laptop. Unfortunately I keep getting a stupid Java error whenever it starts up, after which my browser (tried IE and Firefox) locks up:

"java.lang.illegalargumentexception: input == null"

I've google'd that and found about a dozen other people that are getting similar problems both in the browser version and with the client after they purchase it but I haven't found any solution in any of the threads I found. Anybody have any clue what this is or how to fix it? I've tried updating Java and my video drivers to no avail. I'd really like to figure out what the hell is going on before I buy it since I've come to the conclusion that my life will not be complete until I play this game.
Updating to the latest Java runtime and restarting your computer should take care of most Java problems...you might try emailing Notch if you can get as much error information as possible, like from the Firefox Java console or something. He might not pay attention, but if it affects the full game too you might get lucky.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Blizzard said:
Updating to the latest Java runtime and restarting your computer should take care of most Java problems...you might try emailing Notch if you can get as much error information as possible, like from the Firefox Java console or something. He might not pay attention, but if it affects the full game too you might get lucky.
Thanks. I've done all of that except email Notch. I find it a little disturbing that I've found so many posts about it in the official forum with no solution, so I guess it won't hurt to shoot him an email.

If it helps, here's the full error code from the console:

WARNING: Found unknown Windows version: Windows Vista
Attempting to use default windows plug-in.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: input == null!
at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(Unknown Source)
at com.mojang.minecraft.e.l.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.mojang.minecraft.l.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

seb

Banned
How awesome is this game ? so awesome. And I only played for 3 days in single player.
I still want to try some stuffs on my own but I think I'll be back with questions soon :D

Anyway, thanks GAF, I'm addicted now.

Philthy

Wait till you find a good server with cool people. It's more addicting than WoW, Everquest, and Ultima... COMBINED.

I can't imagine what it's going to be like online with working monsters and minecarts.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Want diamonds? Here are two clusters of 4 each right next to each other. I was happy when I saw the first two. Then digging around those two I found the second cluster. Then digging under each cluster I found that they were 4 diamond clusters instead of 2 diamond clusters. 8 diamonds right next to each other FTW!

oseq9t.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
LiQuid! said:
Thanks. I've done all of that except email Notch. I find it a little disturbing that I've found so many posts about it in the official forum with no solution, so I guess it won't hurt to shoot him an email.

If it helps, here's the full error code from the console:
Do you have any Windows XP or Windows 7 machines you could try it on? That looks like it might be trying to use the Windows built-in Java plugin instead of the official Sun Java one, so yeah, it's going to probably fail horribly.

That said, I'm running Vista 64 home premium with no problems so something else is causing that to happen.

*edit* And specifically the error is on this method: http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/imageio/ImageIO.html#read(java.io.File) so which seems to indicate that some file is missing or a file open failed. It's very odd...

*edit again* In addition to backing up your world and then deleting your local Minecraft folder from AppData\Roaming, did you try deleting the %temp%\minecraft.net folder? (Start, run, type %temp%, hit enter, and look for that folder)

*edit final* I get the same warning/error on Vista when I try to run the free version. I can't even run the alpha in my browser since it crashes trying to allocate memory. That might be because I tweaked the amount of memory that the standalone version uses. Also, IE8 has ALWAYS had the mouse horribly horribly screwed up so I can't play Minecraft with it. It's as if it is accelerated x20 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom