• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresquito

I'm a sissy coward :lol

I've spent most my play time taking little steps in the dungeon underneath my basement. It's not full of great minerals. It's not even full of monsters -I've only encountered one and heard some others howling behind walls-, but I do take A LOT of care in which ways I open in the rock. My modus operandi goes like this: I discover a new open area. It's dark as hell, so I bring in my torches and put a ton of them everywhere. I try advancing in a way there won't be a monster behind my back by the time I'm finished iluminating the place. If there're two open ways, I'll close one of them with blocks of dirt. The smaller uses to be the chosen one. Then, I'll continue my ilumination duty until I find the end of the road or think I can close the end and start working peacefully. Then works begin and I spend my time making the place look cool and be confortable. I can spend a lot of time doing things such as big windows in the ceiling that will let me see the blue sky or the stars. When work is over, I go back to one of the closed ways and I explore it with care. Many times I discover dead end and things are fast. Then I may discover a big cave and the story begins again. At the moment I have like six closed ways waiting to be explored.

I don't mind mining for new materials that much. I'm not the grinder type. Everytime I see iron or coal ores, I'm happy, but it's not the reason why I'm playing at the moment. In fact today I've been exploring outside to find some wood and found a gargantuan cave that was all black and I was seeing some resources just from outside. But I couldn't bring myself in. I will do due in time, but right now, I'm not as much an explorer as an architect.

This game is utterly awesome. It's what I dreamed games could be by now when I was a kid. I didn't mind graphics back then and I don't mind now. It's just the endless beauty of freedom of choice that makes this game so great. No dull storytelling, just you and the world and emergent gameplay to tell a real story, the one of your character and his fight against the world for survival or for glory or for whatever. I wish more games where as focused. I'm glad I followed GAF guidance with this one.

Blizzard

Banned
Ah, PayPal:

Notch said:
My account is still limited. I’ve called them three times, they keep telling me it’s being reviewed. Most recently they told me it’d take up to two more weeks for it to get resolved, and that if they decide something bad’s being going on, they’re going to keep the money.

There’s over 600000 euro in there. Money I was planning on investing in the new company.

S. L.

maniac-kun said:
paypal can keep the money? what the hell?
i think in the us they can as they don't have a bank status there. so they can more or less do whatever they want.
In Europe they have a bank status afaik.

S. L. said:
i think in the us they can as they don't have a bank status there. so they can more or less do whatever they want.
In Europe they have a bank status afaik.
Don't think so. Oh wikipedia says it is, huh messed up.

You'd think out of the thousands of people playing Minecraft one would know how to deal with this and be able to help Notch out.

fresquito

The best he can do is getting legal advice. BTW, isn't it moronic to have 600000€ on a paypal account? Why the hell didn't he transfer out that money to a real bank account?

About the update, I hope the update deals with how stairs are placed, because it drives me crazy >_<

Blizzard

Banned
fresquito said:
The best he can do is getting legal advice. BTW, isn't it moronic to have 600000€ on a paypal account? Why the hell didn't he transfer out that money to a real bank account?

About the update, I hope the update deals with how stairs are placed, because it drives me crazy >_<
I agree about keeping that much in the account, but he was basically out of town for a week or two visiting with Valve and Bungie etc., and during that time period he's making like...30k-40k+ euros a day, right? In the last 24 hours, over FOUR THOUSAND people bought the game if his website is accurate. So in 1-2 weeks being busy or out of the country, that's a lot of money building up, and when he tried to pull it out, since of course he said he wasn't going to leave it in PayPal...they flagged it as suspicious and locked him down. I think the situation is something like the above, at least.

Blizzard

Banned
shuri said:
What an idiot... I cant believe he never transfered the money.. and lol at the concept of paypal taking 600k :lol
Well...

Notch said:
# @Linkcool2006 suspicious withdrawal.. like I'm going to store money with them.. 4:25 PM Aug 29th via web in reply to Linkcool2006

# And now paypal limited my account. :-O How can everything be happening at once from all fronts? :-O 4:17 PM Aug 29th via web
(In reverse chronological order from Twitter)

He may be an idiot in some sense, I don't know, but it looks to me like that happened when he WAS trying to transfer money out of the account, because he didn't want to leave it in PayPal. Since August 29th, if the game has been selling 4000 a day, that's like 440,000 euros plus whatever amount he was trying to transfer out to begin with, if I'm understanding it correctly.

So it's not like he just let it build up to 600k and had a problem out of the blue. Stuff has been ballooning since the start of his trip.

Blizzard

Banned
maniac-kun said:
so paypal gets suspicious when you try to withdraw your money? :lol
If you're a random Swedish guy making tons of money, I guess so. Plus, he's got a beard. Everyone knows you can't trust the bearded ones. :lol

fresquito

Reading through the comments page on his blog post, it looks like PayPal can be a bitch. There're have been lots of reports of PayPal blocking accounts and taking the money from those accounts with no further explanation.

I hope Notch can deal with these problems soon. I'm eager to see him focusing on Minecraft again.

fresquito said:
Reading through the comments page on his blog post, it looks like PayPal can be a bitch. There're have been lots of reports of PayPal blocking accounts and taking the money from those accounts with no further explanation.

I hope Notch can deal with these problems soon. I'm eager to see him focusing on Minecraft again.
Paypal was recently bough by eBay and they dont want this kind of pr. My guess is that he will get the money.

€: okay that was in October 2002 :(

maniac-kun said:
Paypal was recently bough by eBay and they dont want this kind of pr. My guess is that he will get the money.

I could have sworn they did that years ago, guess I was wrong. I hope there's enough pull on Notch's end if they do take the money, otherwise it's just a bunch of internet nerds making noise.

GDJustin said:
??

I haven't gotten a patch yet.

Weird, mine patched last night. Don't know what it was if it isn't the secret friday patch.

seb

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
looking like another crappy small update today =/
I don't know if it's because I 'm new to this but I don't feel entitled to any sort of massive update every friday. It's already the best 10€ I have ever spent on a game.

In other news, if someone could explain a little how water works in this game that would be appreciated. Sometimes it flows, sometimes it doesn't, I don't really understand. And how can you build a pool or a fountain in your house if you don't have a river crossing it in the first place ?

seb said:
I don't know if it's because I 'm new to this but I don't feel entitled to any sort of massive update every friday. It's already the best 10€ I have ever spent on a game.

In other news, if someone could explain a little how water works in this game that would be appreciated. Sometimes it flows, sometimes it doesn't, I don't really understand. And how can you build a pool or a fountain in your house if you don't have a river crossing it in the first place ?
you get a bucket
fill it with water / lava
put water where you want it

The game crashed on me yesterday and corrupted my save, so I spawned a new world and it's crazy, lots of gigantic right angled blocks of mountain and huge perfectly square open pits. Anyways, I spent most of last night building on my new save and this morning I decide to check the map out with the cartographer and notice the settlement from my previous save a couple of minutes walk away from my new site! I don't know whether when the game crashed it changed the spawn point, or if it somehow amalgamated my old, corrupted save and the newly spawned world, but either way I'm damn happy I didn't lose my old save.

seb said:

There are two types of water blocks; flowing water and water sources - if you pick up a water source in a bucket you'll be able to place fountains or pools wherever you like and it'll flow continually from that source. If you're making a deep pool or man made lake/river and want the water surface to be smooth, you have to place the water sources two blocks apart on every level of the body of water and although it can be tempting to skip a level and let the water flow down, this results in an uneven surface.

fresquito

Philthy said:
Why is this guy telling the world how much money is sitting in his Paypal account.

Seriously.
Making this story public is the best thing he could do (except getting legal advice, which would be even better).

Seriously.

I wonder what will be in the friday update. Anyway, I died for the first time in my Survivor Single Player game. I was being really careful for a long time, but then I was doing some work outside at night, and I had a hole in one of my buildings. I was walking back into the main part of my base and heard a Sssssssss. That was that. I have since fallen to my death twice :lol

seb said:

It's still in alpha so I have come to expect bug fixes and new additions on a regular basis.

Also this is how I make man-made lakes:

293d85l.jpg

I then filled the empty spaces with water, then destroyed the dirt blocks one-by-one. It creates a flat water surface.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I am just in awe that the game is still gaining steam. When it hit 1K sales a day I thought surely that was the peak. Then it hit and consistently remained over 3K/day. Now he's at 4.5K copies sold in the last 24 hours!

At this point, I don't even want to speculate what the peak is, or what's next for Minecraft. Can the game sell a million copies?

Anyway, re: Paypal - it isn't Notch's fault and he hasn't done anything stupid. He has been regularly emptying the account, and Paypal are known for being horrible, horrible douchebags about exactly this kind of thing. Just google "Boycott Paypal" to see.

Vinci

Danish
GDJustin said:
I am just in awe that the game is still gaining steam. When it hit 1K sales a day I thought surely that was the peak. Then it hit and consistently remained over 3K/day. Now he's at 4.5K copies sold in the last 24 hours!

At this point, I don't even want to speculate what the peak is, or what's next for Minecraft. Can the game sell a million copies?

Anyway, re: Paypal - it isn't Notch's fault and he hasn't done anything stupid. He has been regularly emptying the account, and Paypal are known for being horrible, horrible douchebags about exactly this kind of thing. Just google "Boycott Paypal" to see.

This game hits Steam, it'll sell at least 1 million copies. I shit you not.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Just found my first spawner/dungeon. It was a skeleton one and I had to drop in on it to close it. So awesome. The chests didn't give me much (Buckets, grain, a saddle, redstone), but the fights were awesome. This game is so fun.

Bootaaay said:
The game crashed on me yesterday and corrupted my save, so I spawned a new world and it's crazy, lots of gigantic right angled blocks of mountain and huge perfectly square open pits. Anyways, I spent most of last night building on my new save and this morning I decide to check the map out with the cartographer and notice the settlement from my previous save a couple of minutes walk away from my new site! I don't know whether when the game crashed it changed the spawn point, or if it somehow amalgamated my old, corrupted save and the newly spawned world, but either way I'm damn happy I didn't lose my old save.
This does happen sometimes, and as far as i know its completely random if bits of old structures get sucked into new worlds. Not sure if you got lucky with a very convenient glitch or if its a deliberate feature I'm unaware of.
I've heard stories of people who have spawned new worlds, seen torches already placed in unexplored nearby caves, and then freaking out bc they didnt know that chunks get recycled occasionally.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI on his Twitter Notch posted three hour ago that the Friday update was still about six hours away. So don't bother refreshing every minute :)

It's probably coming at around 1-2PM PST.

avcables

Banned
seb said:

Water doesn't really work correctly in the game. If I recall, Notch doesn't have a system in place to tell if an area will fill with water under certain circumstances, etc. You can pretty much tune water to your liking and areas that you wish to have it with a bucket, though, like mentioned.

S. L.

it's downloading some sort of update for me.
also i found a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge cave system today. lots of exploring :D

epmode

Server-side inventory OMG
The Seecret Friday part ended up being extremely tiny this time around, but that’s because I made sure to add this:

+ Added server-side inventory
+ Made the server save player locations when they leave the server
+ Made chests work in SMP
+ Made signs work in SMP
+ Made furnaces work in SMP
+ Added monsters=false to server.properties. You can turn it on for experimental monsters, but you can’t hurt them directly yet. (Fire works, though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom