• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
epmode said:
Server-side inventory OMG
*Runs wildly into the street screaming like a little girl!*

EDIT: Re-quote for new page:
The Seecret Friday part ended up being extremely tiny this time around, but that’s because I made sure to add this:

+ Added server-side inventory
+ Made the server save player locations when they leave the server
+ Made chests work in SMP
+ Made signs work in SMP
+ Made furnaces work in SMP
+ Added monsters=false to server.properties. You can turn it on for experimental monsters, but you can’t hurt them directly yet. (Fire works, though!)

WEGGLES

maniac-kun said:
update complete!
its says Minecraft Alpha 1.1.0

started a new game i have a compass in my hands!
Hmmm. I was contemplating starting a new game just because I've spent probably a dozen hours building a railroad to another island and now I'm not too sure about that island at all.

Tempy said:
We don't have a replacement for Oatmeal's server yet right?
Unfortunately not, although I have previously talked about the possibility of pooling money to rent out a server. A few people would be more up for it when the multiplayer is more complete and it looks like this update has brought us a lot closer to that.

distrbnce

Banned
dave is ok said:
Do you need to craft the compass or do you just start with one?

And, do you have to hold it to "use/read" it? I was thinkin' it'd just be in the corner of the screen or something.

Also... what's SMP? Sorry, fairly new but loving the game.

Sciz

Hot damn. Mobs not working is still a damper on the fun, but that's the rest of the really important stuff right there.

What's the best way to start up a server? Just get the official thing and run it?

Also he said the only thing wrong with mobs now is that you can't hurt them in any way besides fire (and presumably lava) so I could still see some fun time coming out of that. I've got this game down to the point where zombies are a complete joke, but if I can only kill them with fire or lava it's a different story. :lol

Igco5UIM5ouS.png

Is it true that the compass points to your spawn point rather than north? Because that would be a whole lot more useful than an ordinary compass (the clouds and sun/moon do a good enough job of that already).

Vinci

Danish
Okay, the compass.... that's a huge thing for me in terms of going into SMP. I still want everything else working too before diving in, but the compass is a nice one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Vinci said:
Okay, the compass.... that's a huge thing for me in terms of going into SMP. I still want everything else working too before diving in, but the compass is a nice one.
Sounds like everything but monsters work, and even the monsters work but are unkillable.

fresquito

It's crawling...

I hope I can convince some friends to play this game. How reliable is setting a server yourself? For a game that's not that action oriented, you'd think working as a server on your own wouldn't be that much of a problem...

fresquito said:
It's crawling...

I hope I can convince some friends to play this game. How reliable is setting a server yourself? For a game that's not that action oriented, you'd think working as a server on your own wouldn't be that much of a problem...

It's unoptimized and takes up a considerable amount of memory. Notch didn't address it this patch, so I'm assuming Minecarts and Boats still cause serious issues.

Kaizen

OgTheClever said:
Is it true that the compass points to your spawn point rather than north? Because that would be a whole lot more useful than an ordinary compass (the clouds and sun/moon do a good enough job of that already).

yep, I can confirm this.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Wow. A compass pointing to spawn is INCREDIBLY useful. I was so worried that it would just point north, which is useless to anyone that has even a rudimentary understanding of sunrise/sunset.

I've never really done any exploring in Minecraft, because I get lost and turned around super easily (in real life, too). My home base could be one hill over from my current location, and if I can't actually see it, there is a good chance I'll wander off in the wrong direction and lose my home forever :lol

So this compass means I can FINALLY explore out a little bit without fear.

A much bigger update for me than for most players. I can actually cross the sea!

GDJustin said:
Wow. A compass pointing to spawn is INCREDIBLY useful. I was so worried that it would just point north, which is useless to anyone that has even a rudimentary understanding of sunrise/sunset.

I've never really done any exploring in Minecraft, because I get lost and turned around super easily (in real life, too). My home base could be one hill over from my current location, and if I can't actually see it, there is a good chance I'll wander off in the wrong direction and lose my home forever :lol

So this compass means I can FINALLY explore out a little bit without fear.

A much bigger update for me than for most players. I can actually cross the sea!
Another use is is that you can take bearings of far away projects to return to them much more easily. Therefore this is probably the most useful navigational update possible, apart from an in-game mapping system.

Vinci

Danish
OgTheClever said:
Another use is is that you can take bearings of far away projects to return to them much more easily. Therefore this is probably the most useful navigational update possible, apart from an in-game mapping system.

Holy shit, I'm pleased. Would love an in-game mapping system though.

Doodlebug

Early people navigated using a method termed the Home-Centre Reference System, whereas our modern methods are self-centred. Having the compass point to spawn, we're like ancient explorers!

Wrekt

I redownloaded the server.exe and the minecraft.exe. Whenever I try to connect, I get an outdated client error. Anybody else run into this? My server says it is version 0.1.4 and I can't find a version number on minecraft.exe.

Wrekt said:
I redownloaded the server.exe and the minecraft.exe. Whenever I try to connect, I get an outdated client error. Anybody else run into this? My server says it is version 0.1.4 and I can't find a version number on minecraft.exe.
The current server number is 0.2.0_01, Notch apparently had to release a quick fix because tools broke or something.

GDJustin

Notch said on twitter there were two "small but very useful" additions to single player. Compass is obviously one, but in an hour the 2nd hasn't been found. Usually everything is discovered within just a few minutes.

I wonder if the 2nd thing didn't actually make it in.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
GDJustin said:
Rumor is the 2nd update is that mushrooms are now MUCH more common. They are generated procedurally so you will only see them in new chunks or new worlds, but they apparently spawn in big clumps:

shrooms.jpg

Someone said they found a rain file, Only weather effect I've seen is snow. Maybe that's it?

GDJustin

You can put buckets of lava in a furnace, and it burns for a very long time (no confirmed length yet). It consumes the bucket and the lava.

Not sure if this is so useful or not.

For one, Static lava that you can scoop with a bucket might be more rare than coal. Yeah there's big lakes of it, but if used in furnaces you could exhaust a lake quick-ish.

The other (bigger) issue is that you can only put one stack (64 items) in a furnace at a time. So unless your babysit a lava-stoked furnace, swapping in new materials you want to cook, you'll end up wasting any cook time beyond one stack.

Lastly, it makes coal much less useful. Most people already have stacks of it.

Of course, it's possible one bucket of lava cooks food for like 30 minutes realtime, or something. In which case... awesome.

Edit: The lava apparently lasts for two full stacks. So not that useful. Youll actually have to wait and swap items out to not waste cooking time. Better to just put in 8 coal to cook 64 items, imo.

Testing out my own SMP server. Seems to run fine on my 4+ year old desktop.

Seems like you still can't die in SMP? That's a shame. Also I can't seem to get a compass in single or multiplayer, even starting a new world.

Is there any way to come back into an SMP server at the spawn point? My friends and I play on my local server and every time we're towards the bottom of the map and find one of those "end of the world" holes past the bedrock someone always jumps into it and falls forever until they log back in and start at the spawn. Now, after doing a test we realize whoever jumped in the hole is still in the hole after logging back into the server.

WEGGLES

GDJustin said:
Rumor is the 2nd update is that mushrooms are now MUCH more common. They are generated procedurally so you will only see them in new chunks or new worlds, but they apparently spawn in big clumps:

http://ompldr.org/vNWk3Nw/mushrooms.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Might not want to hotlink.

[spoiler]It's replaced with an image of "You are Gay lols"[/spoiler]

Clouds are on a higher level now. At least this is what I discovered when logging into my server to check the inventories. I have a church and a house above cloud level (up to the end of the level) and now the clouds where WAY above both. Did not try to get on top of my house to test the height though.

Compass is awesome. Would be cool if you could set the location it is showing at.

btw is there a way to change how chunk is loaded? Every few steps my notebook gets some hickups because of chunk loading. When this is done I get around 80FPS. Kinda annoying :(

Caesar III said:
Clouds are on a higher level now. At least this is what I discovered when logging into my server to check the inventories. I have a church and a house above cloud level (up to the end of the level) and now the clouds where WAY above both. Did not try to get on top of my house to test the height though.
Does that now mean that the max height is now 128 blocks from sea level, as opposed to 64? There was talk of increasing it recently.

OgTheClever said:
Does that now mean that the max height is now 128 blocks from sea level, as opposed to 64? There was talk of increasing it recently.
I relogged in to confirm it but no. max height did not change and the moment I was in the world I came across a cloud at the old level again. WTF?

I dunno if this was implemented before but it also seems like he added some light effects. When stepping out of my house the sky is too bright for a few seconds. Even when going to near windows the color and lighting is changing slightly. Could be my notebook tft though.

Vlad

OgTheClever said:

Was there? There's plenty of things I'd like to see added, and a taller world is right up there with more convenient inventory management (keyboard shortcuts, sorting options, etc).

S. L.

my geforce 8600gt was struggling with the game from time to time so i ebayed an 8800gt to upgrade :lol :lol :lol
can't wait for fluent minecraft :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom