• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

WEGGLES

Considering using the inventory editor to get armor and tools so I stop wasting iron on picks.

Is using Mine edit a bad thing for bad people who are bad and should feel bad?

I'll still mine my building materials, but now I won't waste materials on tools and armor.

Vlad said:
Was there? There's plenty of things I'd like to see added, and a taller world is right up there with more convenient inventory management (keyboard shortcuts, sorting options, etc).
Random Twitter Question said:
Hi notch, I'm happy to see you so successful with minecraft. Anyway, do you plan on making the map 256m high at some point ? PLEASE
Notch said:
I will certainly try! It'll require twice as much ram and lower the fps to 50% if I do it the simple way, though
The extra resources would be due to higher mountains so to have just higher air and the same terrain max would probably make more sense. Although going to 256 would add 64 blocks deeper underground as well, which might be more difficult to work around performance wise.

Further discussion:
uh really ? The ram thing, I understand and that's not that big a problem I guess, but why does it cost 100% fps? There is just Air
Notch said:
Of course, that is until people tell me to also make taller mountains. Then it's not just air any more

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
WEGGLES said:
Considering using the inventory editor to get armor and tools so I stop wasting iron on picks.

Is using Mine edit a bad thing for bad people who are bad and should feel bad?

I'll still mine my building materials, but now I won't waste materials on tools and armor.

I consider it cheating.

OgTheClever said:
The extra resources would be due to higher mountains so to have just higher air and the same terrain max would probably make more sense. Although going to 256 would add 64 blocks deeper underground as well, which might be more difficult to work around performance wise.

Sounds like a nice thing to stick in the options menu. For people with borderline machines (like mine), we can leave it. People with nicer rigs can have more vertical space.

GDJustin said:
Sounds like a nice thing to stick in the options menu. For people with borderline machines (like mine), we can leave it. People with nicer rigs can have more vertical space.
Maybe for single player, but for SMP I think it would be better if this sort of thing was standardised.

Vlad

WEGGLES said:

Personally, I only use iron picks for when I find redstone, diamonds, or gold. Otherwise, I use stone for my everyday-use picks, axes, and shovels. Iron picks go through regular rock a little faster, but it's not enough to justify using them for large tunneling projects.

Trust me, once you start messing around with minecarts, you're going to realize just how rare iron really is.

WEGGLES

GDJustin said:
I consider it cheating.

Bummer. Would it taint any and all further creations of mine? :{

GDJustin said:
I've heard he has trouble accessing more than 1GB of RAM... or something. So that could be an issue with performance as well.

Vlad said:
Personally, I only use iron picks for when I find redstone, diamonds, or gold. Otherwise, I use stone for my everyday-use picks, axes, and shovels. Iron picks go through regular rock a little faster, but it's not enough to justify using them for large tunneling projects.

Trust me, once you start messing around with minecarts, you're going to realize just how rare iron really is.
use iron for armor and use the diamonds for pickaxes. They last forever and are quick as shit. I love them.

WEGGLES

Caesar III said:
use iron for armor and use the diamonds for pickaxes. They last forever and are quick as shit. I love them.
Yeah.
I had a couple diamond axes on my first world. But I've made a new one... and don't wanna start over. Takes so long to get set up with armor and some nice axes.

I'd play my first world. But the spawn area sucks :lol
And I've spent a ton of time trying to build a railroad to another island and it never worked out. So much iron wasted and I'm only 3/4 of the way to the island, letalone the location I wanted to reach ON the island.

Blizzard

Banned
The spawn-pointing compass is awesome. If there only becomes a way to fast-travel (even if it's only faster minecarts or a really fast bird, since he said there'd be a way to ride something that flies I think), then that will really make things great.

Also, once he has another person or two helping him, I hope they can get some of the stability and performance issues ironed out so that people don't have to worry about worlds becoming corrupted. New features are great, and I look forward to them, so hopefully we can get new features AND polish and everyone will be happy. :)

GDJustin

Blizzard said:
The spawn-pointing compass is awesome. If there only becomes a way to fast-travel (even if it's only faster minecarts or a really fast bird, since he said there'd be a way to ride something that flies I think), then that will really make things great.

Also, once he has another person or two helping him, I hope they can get some of the stability and performance issues ironed out so that people don't have to worry about worlds becoming corrupted. New features are great, and I look forward to them, so hopefully we can get new features AND polish and everyone will be happy. :)

Minecraft is way too early to be wanting/expecting stability, IMO. Remember, alpha alpha alpha.

In fact, that's one thing that worries me about the game's insane popularity. I'm worried Notch might now shy away from doing big changes that break saves. Think about how much some people howled when he made wood burn when near lava, and that was a very small & logical tweak.

What if he said "I now have goblin towns being procedurally generated on the overworld, but they aren't compatible with previously-spawned worlds. You'll have to make a new one."

Things like that can (and should!) be happening.

It's the one major downside to such a public pre-release period.

OgTheClever said:

Further discussion:

I was reading old entries on his blog the other day and he had considered making infinite height worlds. The problem was his lighting system which would have had to be rewritten. I'm kind of sad that didn't happen. Think of how awesome it would be if the worlds were giant floating islands and if you dig straight down then you fall through. Or if you ride a waterfall over the edge and down onto another island.

Well, re-writing the lighting system could be done down the road once he has hired help. :D

Infinite height would indeed be awesome, but even something like twice the current height would feel a lot less limiting.

Pimpbaa

HappyBivouac said:
Infinite height would indeed be awesome, but even something like twice the current height would feel a lot less limiting.

Screw height, I want more depth! I wanna dig down further.

Pimpbaa said:
Screw height, I want more depth! I wanna dig down further.

It's the same thing in my mind; sorry for not being clear. Currently it's 128 height I think, which means roughly 64 down and 64 up. What I would want is 256 height, making it 128 down and 128 up.

Awakened

BobJustBob said:
Think of how awesome it would be if the worlds were giant floating islands and if you dig straight down then you fall through. Or if you ride a waterfall over the edge and down onto another island.
I had a dream awhile back where I joined some server and the spawn started me falling from space. I saw a floating island with a lake on it so I aimed for that and landed there. Some people were working on their secret base up there that they showed me. I think I saw other planets out in the distance when I was falling too :eek:

Blizzard

Banned
Awakened said:
I had a dream awhile back where I joined some server and the spawn started me falling from space. I saw a floating island with a lake on it so I aimed for that and landed there. Some people were working on their secret base up there that they showed me. I think I saw other planets out in the distance when I was falling too :eek:
I actually joined one "working skydive" server for classic mode, where the height must have been 1024 or more? You spawned at the top and dived down past crazy obstacles and junk that I guess people built.

funkmastergeneral said:
Anyone else having issues with crashes in SMP? I never had this happen before todays update

Yes, everyone on my server is having lots of problems. Nothing new here, he'll probably have it fixed in a couple days.

Blizzard

Banned
EVH said:
So if the first new thing on singleplayer is the compass...
¿What about the second thing in this update?
Furnaces can now be powered by lava, but if I understand correctly it only works for 100 operations, so less than two stacks of blocks to be smelted. Lava lasts for 1000 seconds of burning time.

Lava isn't a renewable resource, however. Of course, neither is coal, but it's probably more common...UNTIL YOU USE IT ALL UP. *dun dun dun*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I would think Lava would be easier to get. Its just bucket upon bucket to bring it all back. I wouldn't mind draining lakes of lava for smelting.

To bad it tends to be the metals and not the coal that hold me back. Can you run a minecart off of Lava :lol

epmode

To preface: I love this game and I completely understand how everything is more meaningful when you have to dig out the building materials step by step. But after playing for a long time now, I feel that some of the materials should be easier to come by.

I'm mostly talking about iron although diamond also applies. Making a minecart track puts the game into OCD territory and there just isn't enough to go around. Maybe if iron ore blocks sometimes held two ore instead of one? As it is, the game is a little too heavy on busywork if you're trying to make a decent-sized project.

Anyone else having issues using the download? I am told that my browser is out of date and to download the .exe again. I download the .exe and its a file that windows doesnt recognize. What the hell is happening?

Sorry- to be more specific it tells me my launcher is out of date (from the login screen to check for downloads etc). It directs me to a new .exe and I download it but its a file windows doesnt recognize. When looking for an extention to run the .exe it says: "Windows does not recognize this MIME type."

GDJustin

epmode said:
To preface: I love this game and I completely understand how everything is more meaningful when you have to dig out the building materials step by step. But after playing for a long time now, I feel that some of the materials should be easier to come by.

I'm mostly talking about iron although diamond also applies. Making a minecart track puts the game into OCD territory and there just isn't enough to go around. Maybe if iron ore blocks sometimes held two ore instead of one? As it is, the game is a little too heavy on busywork if you're trying to make a decent-sized project.

Well, I don't necessarily disagree. You could double the volume of diamond and Iron found in stone layers, and it would still be very very scarce. Without cave exploring they are nearly impossible to collect.

That being said, you must be making one hella long minecart track to be dealing with an iron shortage. 18 iron gives you a full stack of 64 tracks.

This means that one stack of iron gives you nearly 250 squares of track.

so, GAF. I've never even heard of this game before...then I checked the OP images and was like..."uhhh...DOS?"...then checked the date and post count and was shocked.

what am I missing, GAF?

TheExecutive said:
Anyone else having issues using the download? I am told that my browser is out of date and to download the .exe again. I download the .exe and its a file that windows doesnt recognize. What the hell is happening?

Sorry- to be more specific it tells me my launcher is out of date (from the login screen to check for downloads etc). It directs me to a new .exe and I download it but its a file windows doesnt recognize. When looking for an extention to run the .exe it says: "Windows does not recognize this MIME type."
Is Java fully up to date? Did you download the Mac or Linux client instead of Windows? Does the browser version work?

Dreams-Visions said:
so, GAF. I've never even heard of this game before...then I checked the OP images and was like..."uhhh...DOS?"...then checked the date and post count and was shocked.

what am I missing, GAF?
Reading more of the thread. :D

OgTheClever said:
Is Java fully up to date? Did you download the Mac or Linux client instead of Windows? Does the browser version work?

Browser version works. I downloaded the correct .exe. I am reinstalling java now.

TheExecutive said:
Browser version works. I downloaded the correct .exe. I am reinstalling java now.
Also, since you were directed to an exe. it might be possible that the link was wrong. If Java reinstallation does nothing then try navigating to the download page manually on minecraft.net.

OgTheClever said:
Also, since you were directed to an exe. it might be possible that the link was wrong. If Java reinstallation does nothing then try navigating to the download page manually on minecraft.net.

Yeah I reinstalled java and went to minecraft.net and downloaded the .exe but to no avail. I am at a loss as to why this isnt working. I have no idea why the file isnt recognized. It used to work and then all of a sudden doesnt work at all. The file that is saved to my computer isnt recognized. Its quite odd. I can play offline but not online.

TheExecutive said:
Yeah I reinstalled java and went to minecraft.net and downloaded the .exe but to no avail. I am at a loss as to why this isnt working. I have no idea why the file isnt recognized. It used to work and then all of a sudden doesnt work at all. The file that is saved to my computer isnt recognized. Its quite odd. I can play offline but not online.
Just been Googling around and a problem that seems to pop up is the extension name might be wrong for some reason. To solve this, you'll have to manually edit the file's extension type and change it to a .exe (presuming it's currently .mime).

OgTheClever said:
Just been Googling around and a problem that seems to pop up is the extension name might be wrong for some reason. To solve this, you'll have to manually edit the file's extension type and change it to a .exe (presuming it's currently .mime).

how do I edit the file type?

TheExecutive said:
how do I edit the file type?
Simple guide example if the extensions are currently hidden:
To do that, drop the file into a folder if you haven't already, then press Alt + T (I think it's that), go to Folder Options > View, then uncheck "Hide File Extensions for Known File Types". Apply, close it and go back to the file. It should say the name followed by a . and then the extension name like, example.file. Right click > Rename, change the extension to say exe.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Dreams-Visions said:

what am I missing, GAF?

Unlike most games made today, the gameplay is not limited by the tech. In fact, the game is so well optimized that multiplayer has infinite maps. The game is awesome because it is unlike any other game. It is all about exploration, construction, and emergent gameplay.

Tobor

Dreams-Visions said:

what am I missing, GAF?

I bought it last night, and I'm already hooked. It's like Legos meets Oblivion. Jump in.

I don't get this game at all. Every time I join a server, I just walk around and look at things. And some places I can place blocks... What?

What are you guys talking about Furnaces and smelting metals? Do I have to buy the game to do that? Is there an actual game here or is it just run around and be creative?

Tobor

Darknessbear said:
I don't get this game at all. Every time I join a server, I just walk around and look at things. And some places I can place blocks... What?

What are you guys talking about Furnaces and smelting metals? Do I have to buy the game to do that? Is there an actual game here or is it just run around and be creative?

Go back and read the OP. He lays it all out really nicely.

fresquito

Darknessbear said:

Reading is your friend!

Quixzlizx

Dreams-Visions said:

what am I missing, GAF?

Did you start gaming with the Xbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom