• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if we'll ever be able to assign the compass to places. Currently it's spawn, but what if I don't want to build my base there? Would be nice if I could set it.

WEGGLES

TheNiX said:
I wonder if we'll ever be able to assign the compass to places. Currently it's spawn, but what if I don't want to build my base there? Would be nice if I could set it.
I made a trail of candles from spawn to my base.

commissar

So furnaces worked for a bit but now they don't work again in SMP :(

I'll see if it works now the server is reset, but last night I had to revert to the old fire under the furnace trick :/

Inventory is awesome though

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
TheNiX said:
I'm sure he'll eventually add some kind of marker the compass can point to.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
TheNiX said:

This is actually a good point. I've always made my bases at (or very near) spawn. If I didn't have a nice looking spawn I just made a new world.

But for a player that doesn't have their home at their spawn, the compass is useless. They have no need to find their spawn point.

There will probably be a new crafting item eventually that allows players to create a magnetic waypoint to reorient their compass.

WEGGLES

WEGGLES said:
I made a trail of candles from spawn to my base.
d6Yhu.png

Looks pretty at night from my castle tower.

Well, that's certainly easier than the minecart track that i've built up in the heavens that spans across the map that i've used tens of thousands of blocks of wood to build. :lol

WEGGLES

TouchMyBox said:
Well, that's certainly easier than the minecart track that i've built up in the heavens that spans across the map that i've used tens of thousands of blocks of wood to build. :lol
That's why I gave up on my first world.

Overly ambitious mine cart track leading to a more ideal island.

WEGGLES said:
That's why I gave up on my first world.

Overly ambitious mine cart track leading to a more ideal island.

Just when you're about to invite a guy to join your masochist club...

whatthehell.jpg

Yeah, I'm a loser... So what? What you gonna say about it? Huh? Yeah? That's what I thought!

WEGGLES

Well, now I fell like a jerk for complaining about my basic mine track :'[

Built a tower on this odd overhang off of a cliff... now working on an under sea utopia.

GDJustin

Dude... why spend all that wood connecting it to the ground over and over? It literally made the project 5X what it needed to be, from the looks of things.

Dragmire

TouchMyBox said:
Wow, that's exactly what I do, but I use cobblestone, and I don't put even a fraction of the support pillars that you do. I've made probably ten towers that are about a horizon's distance apart and connected them all with what I call my 'sky rail system.' The pillars usually have a ladder leading up to the track from the ground, and often a 'gate' that shows where the ladder is if you're on the track.

z4af.jpg

Also, I haven't seen a slime in literally weeks. Has anyone else? It's only been the other mobs for me. I've gone through many cave systems in the past several weeks and haven't seen or heard one.

fresquito

Today I built up my first tower. Technically it's not finished yet, but It can be shown and used at will. I wish there would be the chance to invite friends into my world and let them see it >_<

fresquito

It is. But I was wondering if there was a sharing system on the website or something like that. However, my first wishing was to have them be there and interact with them all along.

GDJustin

I totally expected that video to end with one of the zombies glitching his way out of the pit and biting the player's face off :lol :lol

Party over :( Everyone go home.

mjc

First time player here...gonna need some tips.

So yesterday I "bought" the game and started my first file. Right after I spawned I followed a gameplan to get a little alcove set up for hiding at night in the side of a hill. I've made stone-based picks and shovels, and I've made one stone sword. I've got the crafting table and I've got oodles of torches and such to last me a short while. After the first night I went outside and wondered what I was gonna do. Its almost like the overwhelming feeling from Oblivion but multiplied by 1000. I have no idea what to begin doing.

I wanna build a giant spire/castle thing but I don't know how to craft metals or anything. I spent about 20 minutes digging a little cave hole while laying torches about, but I didn't get anything besides lots of stone and some coal.

Any tips?

WEGGLES

To make metals you'll need a furnace.
And metals you get from finding ore in caves and such.
Iron looks like normal rock, but with brown bits in it.
Gold looks like normal rock, but with gold bits in it.
Diamond looks like normal rock, but with cyan bits in it.

http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Also " "bought" " :[

mjc

WEGGLES said:
To make metals you'll need a furnace.
And metals you get from finding ore in caves and such.
Iron looks like normal rock, but with brown bits in it.
Gold looks like normal rock, but with gold bits in it.
Diamond looks like normal rock, but with cyan bits in it.

http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Also " "bought" " :[

Sorry I mistyped that. By "bought" I mean that I paid the $12 or so to get full access.

WEGGLES

How do you make mincart boosters?

I made a long track, from my house to my underwater utopia... but it's slow return back.
I've seen them, but I can't figure it out.

I tried this and it just exploded. :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6IcWT3BnEo&feature=player_embedded

mjc said:
Sorry I mistyped that. By "bought" I mean that I paid the $12 or so to get full access.
Oh, thought the "s were implying like finger quotes and you didn't buy it.

GDJustin said:
Dude... why spend all that wood connecting it to the ground over and over? It literally made the project 5X what it needed to be, from the looks of things.

Because it's realistic, yoz. :lol

Also, every fourth pillar has ladders running up it so i can access the track from any point, pretty much.

commissar

fresquito said:
What's that way? Other than uploading the file to the internet.

Edit: :lol the video.
You can set up your own server! Download the server .exe from te alpha dl page, open port 25565 on your router, and hit up whatismyip.org to get your external up to give to friends so they can connect.

Couple of things:
run the minecreaft server.exe once then close it. Copy your singleplayer folder (eg. World1) over to your MC Server directory and delete the World folder in there. Rename World1 to world.
Test this works by starting the server and also your client. Go to multiplayer and type 127.0.0.1 to connect to your own pc. There's a bug atm where the screen goes black the first time you connect to a new world. Just restart the client.

Go to portforward.com if you're unsure on how to open ports for your router/modem. Make sure MC has firewall access too.

Also due to ip masking I have to ctrl-F5 whatismyip.org to get my real ip for others to connect to. You might be the same.

Hope that helps!
There's a bunch of server options and commands ou there too but I'm typing on my phone so cbf sorry.

Pimpbaa

I get so god damn angry when I get lost in a big cave system.

"I've been here already, I'm going around in goddamn circles!"

Always happens when I have a lot of diamond on me too :lol

WEGGLES

Pimpbaa said:
I get so god damn angry when I get lost in a big cave system.

"I've been here already, I'm going around in goddamn circles!"

Always happens when I have a lot of diamond on me too :lol

That's when I do the old "Get me the fuck outta hereeeeeeeeeeee" maneuver.

Pick axe up until I can't hit anything... make a stack of stuff below me until I can't go up any higher. Repeat until you can see the sky. :lol

GDJustin

mjc said:
Any tips?

Precious metals like iron, gold, and diamond are very very rare. If you're attempting to just mine at random to find them, you'll never have any success.

Minecraft worlds are littered with underground cave systems. Some are quite huge and interconnected. So the trick is to find these caves and explore them. With all the exposed cave walls, you'll have a lot more success finding iron and the other metals/gems.

As for construction tips... there's really no right or wrong way. Just do... whatever. I built a big greenhouse this weekend for growing papyrus/wheat.

WEGGLES

GDJustin said:
Precious metals like iron, gold, and diamond are very very rare. If you're attempting to just mine at random to find them, you'll never have any success.

Minecraft worlds are littered with underground cave systems. Some are quite huge and interconnected. So the trick is to find these caves and explore them. With all the exposed cave walls, you'll have a lot more success finding iron and the other metals/gems.

As for construction tips... there's really no right or wrong way. Just do... whatever. I built a big greenhouse this weekend for growing papyrus/wheat.
I've heard wheat is a waste of time... how do you get papyrus though?

GDJustin

WEGGLES said:
I've heard wheat is a waste of time... how do you get papyrus though?

Papyrus is found naturally in the world. It requires dirt to be bordering water. Just follow coastlines and you'll find some. Once you find some, it is SUPER easy to farm. Just replant it along water, and it will grow into a tall stalk that gives you ~3 more. So you can turn 3 into 9, into 27, etc.

Wheat is the only renewable form of healing food. Pork heals much more life but you have to find pigs. The bread wheat you can farm at will.

WEGGLES

Hmm. Never seen papyrus before in 6 or 7 different worlds

What's the fastest way to break under water glass.

Made a glass tunnel to my underwater utopia, but do not like it. What tool will smash it fastest?

GDJustin

Papyrus is pretty rare, but not *that* rare. The key is that you only need to find one. Once you find one, you can turn it into stacks in just a couple in-game days.

WEGGLES

GDJustin said:
Papyrus is pretty rare, but not *that* rare. The key is that you only need to find one. Once you find one, you can turn it into stacks in just a couple in-game days.
How do you re-plant it?

Just place it again?

Blizzard

Banned
GDJustin said:
Pork heals much more life but you have to find pigs. The bread wheat you can farm at will.
Yes, but pigs tend to respawn each day, right? It's not like you can make them extinct, though I guess it can be hard to find them.

WEGGLES

Blizzard said:
Yes, but pigs tend to respawn each day, right? It's not like you can make them extinct, though I guess it can be hard to find them.
Yeah.

I was in a minecraft server with a gigantic underwater village and there were pigs all over the place inside. despite there being several doors leading to that area.

GDJustin

Blizzard said:

Well, yeah. I mean I just like to keep a few wheat planted for a base to feel complete. I have plenty of pork on hand. I don't need the bread.

fresquito

commissar said:
You can set up your own server! Download the server .exe from te alpha dl page, open port 25565 on your router, and hit up whatismyip.org to get your external up to give to friends so they can connect.

Couple of things:
run the minecreaft server.exe once then close it. Copy your singleplayer folder (eg. World1) over to your MC Server directory and delete the World folder in there. Rename World1 to world.
Test this works by starting the server and also your client. Go to multiplayer and type 127.0.0.1 to connect to your own pc. There's a bug atm where the screen goes black the first time you connect to a new world. Just restart the client.

Go to portforward.com if you're unsure on how to open ports for your router/modem. Make sure MC has firewall access too.

Also due to ip masking I have to ctrl-F5 whatismyip.org to get my real ip for others to connect to. You might be the same.

Hope that helps!
There's a bunch of server options and commands ou there too but I'm typing on my phone so cbf sorry.
Thank you very much. I will try!

Blizzard said:
That's odd. Pigs are everywhere in my world.

BTW, does anybody know a way to farm clay? I wanted my house made of bricks and I ran out of them pretty fast!

WEGGLES

fresquito said:
Thank you very much. I will try!

That's odd. Pigs are everywhere in my world.

BTW, does anybody know a way to farm clay? I wanted my house made of bricks and I ran out of them pretty fast!
Found clay in the water under the sand on a beach area.

I was mining a tunnel, thought I was getting eggs since it was so dark :lol

Sciz

fresquito said:
The only remotely efficient way is to render the clay blocks in Cartographer and layer that over a regular map render. It tends to be too rare and too deep underwater to find any significant quantities by just scouting around.

It looks like the Paypal fiasco is over thankfully (well, to an extent):

Twitter - xnotch said:
PayPal called. They're going to require a 5% "reserve" of all sales. Unacceptable. But at least they're going to unlock my account.
Twitter - xnotch said:
The reserve would be for 90 days, so I'd get it back. Eventually. But, still.. Daniel is helping look into alternatives right now.

Vinci

Danish
mjc said:
I wanna build a giant spire/castle thing but I don't know how to craft metals or anything. I spent about 20 minutes digging a little cave hole while laying torches about, but I didn't get anything besides lots of stone and some coal.

Any tips?

Start digging. 'Cause if you're wanting to make anything of any real scale, you're gonna need plenty of materials - and mining is the best way to get 'em. You'll find other stuff, like iron, gold, maybe some diamonds and redstone, while doing it... but yeah, you're gonna need a lot of stuff and it's better (IMO) to get it from under the ground than by leveling the surface.

EDIT @ fresquito: No, but if you find a way to farm clay, I'd love to hear it. Short of using cartographer to overlay stuff. That feels like cheating to me, for some reason. I stopped using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom