• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresquito

OgTheClever said:
It looks like the Paypal fiasco is over thankfully (well, to an extent):
What a joke. So they know it's a legit thing, yet they threaten to block a percentage. Notch should sue them. I'm never using PayPal again. Damn these fuckers.

Edit: Vinci, I won't be using cartographer, that's for sure. So I don't know if I'll ever find clay again :lol If I find, I'll try using water, dirt and clay to get more clay (doubt it works).

fresquito said:
What a joke. So they know it's a legit thing, yet they threaten to block a percentage. Notch should sue them. I'm never using PayPal again. Damn these fuckers.

Edit: Vinci, I won't be using cartographer, that's for sure. So I don't know if I'll ever find clay again :lol If I find, I'll try using water, dirt and clay to get more clay (doubt it works).

Paypal has always been a joke. I can't believe it's as popular as it is.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I run a mac so cartog is out for me too.

There is no way to farm clay. The best way to look for it is along the coastline but UNDER water level. It will (very) rarely appear in sand at or above water level. But much more frequently it is found 1-3 blocks below.

Blizzard

Banned
It's good they're giving Notch his money back, despite the 5% annoyance (on top of whatever existing PayPal cut he had to pay already). It sounds like he'll get it back and I hope they find a good alternative. Maybe this will even help spur a better international payment option, though I suppose that's unlikely.

Also, just to reference the blog post, Daniel Kaplan is the new business guy helping Notch out, and he apparently helped on a Steam game called Bob Came in Pieces. I haven't played it, but he sounds like a pretty good fit for the job!

ZZMitch

GDJustin said:
I run a mac so cartog is out for me too.

There is no way to farm clay. The best way to look for it is along the coastline but UNDER water level. It will (very) rarely appear in sand at or above water level. But much more frequently it is found 1-3 blocks below.

I never saw clay until my 3rd world... when my spawn was in a giant mound of clay on a small island :lol

Plaguefox

koolk had this to say:

"Checked it, nothing was changed. He just cleaned little bit the code, and increased the size of the array of the inventory by one. (from 36 to 37, why? is he planning to add something that requires a special slot?)"

I think he might be right. Minecraft updates are usually figured out pretty damned quickly.

fresquito

I played my first multiplayer with friends last night. Saying it was a blast would be an understatement. We played in my world, and it was a lot of fun, because since it was only a trial thing (meaning, we weren't starting a game), the bastards were grieving my castle and everything I had created until then (they knew it wasn't a problem, since it was my single player save copied unto the multi folder). Later on we sailed across the sea to find new lands. I got to see crops for the first time! One of my friends tried doing an underwater house, and when he tried to show it to us, I took my sweet revenge by flooding it :lol

There're lot of things that need to be fixed. Doors don't work properly, and sometimes blocks wouldn't disappear, no matter how many times you broke them. Then there's unlimited health and no enemies. Friendly mobs are immortal until you put them on fire :)lol ). And even under such restrictive circumstances, it was some of the most fun I've had playing a videogame in months.

All of this was working as a server. Latency wasn't bad, except for when new lands were being created as we were sailing. So I think I'll be able to play like this until I find a good server -probably once beta hits-.

Plaguefox said:
koolk had this to say:

"Checked it, nothing was changed. He just cleaned little bit the code, and increased the size of the array of the inventory by one. (from 36 to 37, why? is he planning to add something that requires a special slot?)"

I think he might be right. Minecraft updates are usually figured out pretty damned quickly.
perhaps the compass

Dragmire

Blizzard said:
Also, just to reference the blog post, Daniel Kaplan is the new business guy helping Notch out, and he apparently helped on a Steam game called Bob Came in Pieces. I haven't played it, but he sounds like a pretty good fit for the job!
Bob Came In Pieces is a great physics-based puzzle game where you construct your ship in different ways to solve puzzles (I got it on GamersGate). And that's cool that (according to Kaplan) the creator of Iji is now at Ludosity, the developer of Bob Came In Pieces.

seb

Banned
Vipershark said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCIdxBT2HoM
This is my current base.

I've never actually seen papyrus, slimes, or cacti in any of my maps.
Amazing stuff... How long did it take you to do that ?
I like how you have distance fog in your basement :lol

I had my first major incident yesterday. I had just discover a huge cave with a lot of cool resources on the walls when I got ambushed by creepers. I panicked and ran straight into a lava lake -> I lost a diamond pick axe and a full metal armor.
I'll go back tonight with a new armor, a sword, a bow and a shitload of arrows. There will be vengeance.

Saw this ad at Indiegames.com just now :lol
33w8tir.jpg

Herbspicesoy said:
Saw this ad at Indiegames.com just now :lol
33w8tir.jpg

I had COMPLETELY forgot about evony online. I'm not sure if I should laugh at that for being clever, or angry for making me remember those awful ads.

Vlad

Vipershark said:
I've never actually seen papyrus, slimes, or cacti in any of my maps.

Same here, except I have come across a couple cacti. I didn't even know slimes and papyrus were in the game until I came across the article about them on the minecraft wiki.

owlbeak

Question: Why do the majority of you guys play with all that shit (text) at the top of your screen? It drives me crazy. Turn it off! :D

Flib

I've been reading and enjoying this thread for months, but never picked the game up as I usually prefer more structured gameplay.

I finally bought the game last night, needless to say I ended up getting about 4-5hours of sleep. Goddamn. I need to get back to my sky fortress noooowwwwww, damn you work!

seb said:
Amazing stuff... How long did it take you to do that ?
I like how you have distance fog in your basement :lol

Around 2 or 3 weeks or so. No real hour count or anything, but I consider myself to be a slow builder so it had to be at least 20 or so hours.

I've already started to make the basement bigger. I'll eventually have to start dropping torches in the middle, or monsters will start to spawn inside! :lol

Ferrio

Banned
My game now is getting a black screen of death, freezes up and have to restart. First time this has ever happened and now it's happening all the time. Deleted the cache, it still happens..... sigh

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
New Notch blog post:

"There will be a Friday update, though, at the very least. I didn’t get to add a lot of single player stuff last Friday because I added the first version of the server-side inventory, so I’ll get some of that stuff added. Will it be better carts? The first version of alchemy? More random content in caves? A new monster? A flyable mount? Biomes? Animal husbandry? Fishing? Diving? Who knows!? OoooOOoo!"

OMFG.

Vinci

Danish
GDJustin said:
New Notch blog post:

"There will be a Friday update, though, at the very least. I didn’t get to add a lot of single player stuff last Friday because I added the first version of the server-side inventory, so I’ll get some of that stuff added. Will it be better carts? The first version of alchemy? More random content in caves? A new monster? A flyable mount? Biomes? Animal husbandry? Fishing? Diving? Who knows!? OoooOOoo!"

OMFG.

Holy shit, I would scream if all that was added.

If he does the Better Carts that he talked about, as long as he doesn't remove boosters, we're fine.

It's pretty cool to be able to ride straight up a hill at max speed, hahaha

GDJustin said:
New Notch blog post:

OMFG.

2d12szp.jpg

itxaka

Defeatist
Got a strange issue.

I play the game on a laptop and a desktop.

Laptop has a 1366x768 resolution, and the gui scales, the inventory slots are small according to the screen.

Meanwhile on my desktop at 1680x1050 the gui is huuuge. I don't know how to change it.

Any guesses?

Also, which files I have to copy in order to play the same world on both PC?

itxaka said:
Got a strange issue.

I play the game on a laptop and a desktop.

Laptop has a 1366x768 resolution, and the gui scales, the inventory slots are small according to the screen.

Meanwhile on my desktop at 1680x1050 the gui is huuuge. I don't know how to change it.

Any guesses?
Do not play in fullscreen. I always max it in wide but keep it to the maximum in height to have the small gui.
Also, which files I have to copy in order to play the same world on both PC?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22527075&postcount=929

Jenga

Banned
GDJustin said:
New Notch blog post:

OMFG.
All of those sound extremely out of place except for better carts :lol

Bootaaay said:
appdata/roaming/.minecraft/saves/

You have to have 'view hidden folders' checked to see appdata in your user folder.

You'll probably want to put a shortcut to the .minecraft folder on your desktop, especially if you plan on making backups of your worlds or doing save hacking. CHances are you'll be in there a lot.

Twig

Banned
Jenga said:
What about them sounds out of place?

The game is primarily about two things: exploring, and building.

Better carts: building (this is obvious) AND exploring (getting around faster)
Alchemy: building (make new materials from old) AND exploring (discovering alchemic spells or whatever)
Random content in caves: building (build around these new awesome things!) AND exploring (this is obvious)
New monster: building (to protect) AND exploring (to discover)
Flyable mount: building (fly to hard to get places and build) AND exploring (this is obvious)
Biomes: building (want a castle on a snowy mountaintop? OKAY!) AND exploring (want to discover a snowy mountaintop? OKAY!)
Animal husbandry: building (make a barn!) AND exploring (keep a mount around permanently!)
Fishing: building (build some docks!) AND exploring (find good fishing spots!)
Diving: building (build underwater structures!) AND exploring (this is obvious)

U:

If you wanted, you could also tie "survival" into all of those things, but really aside from the first night monsters aren't yet a real danger.

Drewsky

I bought this yesterday then went to a midnight release of Reach. I have spent all day playing Minecraft rather than Reach.

Never would have expected that.

EVH

Jenga said:

Well, these are ideas that he said long time ago he would like to implement. So maybe not so out of place.

Anyway, yay!

Drewsky said:
I bought this yesterday then went to a midnight release of Reach. I have spent all day playing Minecraft rather than Reach.

Never would have expected that.

This quote is so good it should be bolded and placed in the OP.

I've been looking forward to FF14 for what, 5 years? It's out in a week and ever since I've discovered Minecraft I'm ten times more excited for any given Friday update than I am for the launch of that game. Not to say I'm not getting that game or anything, but Minecraft is pretty much, like, THE game from now until infinity as far as I'm concerned.

I really need to change my avatar.:D

notsol337

marked forever
Is anyone else crashing lots lately? Every 5-10 minutes my screen just goes totally black, then I get the whole (not responding) message.

Blizzard

Banned
notsol337 said:
Is anyone else crashing lots lately? Every 5-10 minutes my screen just goes totally black, then I get the whole (not responding) message.
Do you have any idea how much memory it's using, if you have the display up? I think it's limited to a gig or so by default, though I would assume that's not the problem.

Ferrio

Banned
notsol337 said:

Yep, I posted some posts up. I read around, seems it mostly happens on 64bit machines... people saying decrease your fog and it avoids the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom