• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exano

Neo Member
Me and my roomate have been workin on a Minecraft server for a while, as we dug for diamonds and shit to stockpile for the upcoming patches, we heard moaning in the hallway, and keep in mind monsters are turned off.

Anyways, so we found a zombie spawner and a chest with all the goodies like a saddle, iron, redstone, wheat, etc.

So... that was the best Minecraft experience ever, I love completely unexpected radom stuff like that. Whats curious though is that theres no monsters enabled, so why they showed up we have no clue. They dont die though.

After double checking the server properties, monsters are definatly off, and we're using the minecraft server client and no third party stuff.

Edit - Zombies die in lava though!

Exano

Neo Member
Blizzard said:
It's probably a bug, since he might have enabled monsters without thinking about spawner blocks (or just not fixing them yet).

Yup prolly, still awesome though lol

Freaked us the hell out =p

Plaguefox

Caesar III said:
perhaps the compass
That was added in the update previous to the one we were discussing. :)

TouchMyBox said:
Finally discovered the awesomeness that is MCAdmin.

touchmybox.dyndns.org

Oh, MCAdmin is something I'm quite fond of.

A handy Minecraft server wrapper thingie that will keep itself up to date and update your server jar as well. I initially dug it because it was the only wrapper with a good GUI, but now there are a lot of options. I still prefer MCAdmin, though. Here's a snip of the author's feature list with the stuff I think is particularly awesome:

• RCON support: servers can be watched AND administrated in HLSW
  • Player ranks: assignable either via the GUI or via chat commands (!setrank)
  • Automatic updates: Not just for MCAdmin but for Minecraft's server jar too!
  • Spawn by item names: Super useful in creative SMP servers where spawning resources is acceptable ("!give stone 192" for a nice trio of stacks!)
  • Customizable block limits: by player rank, either whitelist or blacklist.
  • Map auto-backup: It only backs up when players have been on since last backup. This is more awesome than you think.
  • Mod management: An interface for installing server mods. This is currently limited to Llama's Runecraft, but Runecraft's slick and all you do is click "install" or "uninstall". More mods are going to be added!

There are a lot of other features in the proper list linked above. Zoning is coming to MCAdmin soon, from what I hear, though with land claim flags in Notch's list it'll probably get done proper sooner than later. Well, we'll see.

Anyway, visit the MCAdmin website if you want to learn more. Here's a bunch of site links copied from the original program thread.

Statistics: http://stats.mcadmin.eu/
Server list: http://list.mcadmin.eu/
Global banlist: http://bans.mcadmin.eu/
Server checker: http://check.mcadmin.eu/

Also, the author is looking for help to overcome some technical limitations, so if any of you are savvy to what all the mumbo-jumbo below means and you'd like to help out, drop him a line!
Doridian said:
!sethome and custom teleportation (aside from teleporting players to players or the default homepoint) is NOT possible with how MCAdmin was made. Incase anyone wants to help me with making a JAVA<->C# interface for Minecraft alpha to allow stuff like this, drop me a PM (help me gettng through the obfuscation, heh)!

anyone update the simpletexture.rar to include the compass? Is this being updated anymore (looks like the last update was 08/09). However, I love the texture pack but dont have the correct tools on this computer to update it with the compass.

For people concerned about monsters in SMP: They can't hurt you, but as you already know, you can't hurt them either.
They can be killed though, through the use of fire.

Regular daytime still kills zombies and skeletons, and creepers still explode and die, but that leaves spiders invincible.

How do you kill them? Use flint and steel on them or lure them into lava. Problem solved.

Plaguefox said:
That was added in the update previous to the one we were discussing. :)
I meant perhaps the compass is the item for the 37th slot to be displayed all the time.

Will check out mcadmin, sounds good.

fresquito

The RPS diary is pretty funny. This week I started going to university and I can't play Minecraft as much as I'd like (which is 14/7 :lol ). Reading it makes me feel better ^_^

Helmholtz

Anyone know of a place where I can rent a cheap server to host a multiplayer minecraft server on? Never really done it before, but my friends and I are considering doing this if we can find something cheap enough. Don't want to host on our PCs because we don't want to leave them on all the time.

fresquito

Helmholtz said:
Anyone know of a place where I can rent a cheap server to host a multiplayer minecraft server on? Never really done it before, but my friends and I are considering doing this if we can find something cheap enough. Don't want to host on our PCs because we don't want to leave them on all the time.
If you find, just let me know.

tmaynard

Helmholtz said:

Yeah, I'm interested in this as well.

Yeah, we're gonna need something like that if there's ever gonna be another GAF server in the future. I did find one gaming server website that specifies Minecraft, but that was like $100 a month.

tmaynard

OgTheClever said:
Yeah, we're gonna need something like that if there's ever gonna be another GAF server in the future. I did find one gaming server website that specifies Minecraft, but that was like $100 a month.

$100 A MONTH?! You sure it wasn't a year? Damn, You might as well buy an extra machine and run it 24/7. :lol

EVH

I started this with the Goblin idea in mind a few months ago. Don't know if I've posted it before. I do this because I enjoy having ideas applied to games, and with Minecraft in its beta state is pretty fun to do it :D

gobl1.jpg

gobl2.jpg

Helmholtz said:
If you don't want to use like 30 players on that server a small outdated notebook would be enough I think. I'm using some old parts for a server at home (p4 3ghz, northwood, 1gig ram, 400gb harddisk) and it's at around 30% load if someone is playing. For every new player another around 60mb of RAM are assigned though. I use this pc for several other things as well. Sometime I host L4D on it or Freelancer and such. And it only costs me the power to run it.

MNC

I cannot fucking wait for settlements. That will make the game truly truly perfect.

Goblin guy; where's page 3/3? :D

Drewsky

So this could be an incredibly dumb question, and if it's not I'm sure it's been asked, but how do you get the compass that everyone's talking about?

Edit: Nevermind. Google is good.

drizzle said:
So... still no gaf server?

If that's still the case, it saddens me :(
GAF server was too serious business anyway. Try playing with other people in the meantime- I'm on a goon server, the Eurogamer one I checked out the other night was great. Plenty of communities.

Visualante said:
GAF server was too serious business anyway.

For you, maybe. Aren't you the guy who enjoys griefing random peoples servers?

Visualante said:
Try playing with other people in the meantime- I'm on a goon server, the Eurogamer one I checked out the other night was great. Plenty of communities.

Yeah, there are plenty of communities out there - it's just that with such a healthy userbase here on GAF you'd think someone would have stepped up to replace Oatmeal's server by now. I'd do it myself, as i'm playing every day, but my PC's an unreliable POS that crashes far too easily and wouldn't be able to cope with more than a handful of people connecting.

Also, I don't know about you, but I don't really like jumping into a server that's had a ton of work done to it already - it's cool to look around and help out with other peoples constructions, but if i'm going to be putting a whole load of time into building i'd prefer it to be on a fresh server, and one on a community i'm actually a part of. The only other gaming forum i'm a member of thinks Minecraft is too nerdy :p

fresquito

I'm starting to take the adventurer way. the other day I explored my first (natural) cave. I found a Zombie nest with a beautiful treasure chest. It contained a piece of Redstone. My first red stone!

So today I logged in and opened one of the ways that I had closed in my subterranean part of the house (my personal mines, that's it). It was a long and windy road, but it was well worth it. I've found mushrooms (a first for me), red stone and gold. There's a lot of lava and a lot of water streams. There're lots of open ways as well. I tried exploring first, mining then. But the exploring was getting crazy and some mobs put the mission in danger. So I went back. BTW, I also found obsidian. It's got no use yet, does it?

Now I have to farm some wood and some meat so I can go back to exploring and mining. I don't know what I'm gonna do with the red stone yet, but this is exciting.

seb

Banned
fresquito said:
I'm starting to take the adventurer way.

I started that too, that is SO rewarding. When you've been mining for weeks to find 10 irons and all of a sudden you stumble upon a natural cave system with multiple lava lakes surrounded by red ore, iron, gold... you have an epiphany, like, "OMG, exploring >>> mining !"
I love this game.

fresquito

Nooooooooooooo!!!

I've fallen into a lava pit! I was mining the Redstone that I found, when I see a new Redstone ore, then I mine it, and it turns out there's no other ground, so I fall into lava, I die and I lose all that I had up until then! I had some Iron armor and weapons and what not. But the thing I miss the most is my newly mined Redstone :-(

Such a cruel destiny. Now I have to go back to the drawing table and begin crafting tools again. BTW, I found a disc :lol

Gassey

Banned
JAVK said:
Man this game runs like shit on my Macbook Pro 13". Are there any fixes available?

The download version works on mine, the browser version not so much.

Download it and you should be fine.

I'm waiting on a power supply so I can have a fully-built spare machine which I could run my minecraft server on 24/7. So you jerks will be able to play on that if you want :)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
TouchMyBox said:
I'm waiting on a power supply so I can have a fully-built spare machine which I could run my minecraft server on 24/7. So you jerks will be able to play on that if you want :)

/me touches your box

It's over 5000!!!
681477 registered users, of which 165856 (24.33%) have bought the game.

In the last 24 hours, 11046 people registered, and 5011 people bought the game.
Never seen so many 24 hour purchases before.

Askani

I bit on the 15th, and I'm loving it. I found a highpoint and made my house on top of it. Then I started digging a mine pit underneath.I went down in a 5x5 pattern, building stairs in the walls as I went. It was slow and I just wanted to get deeper so I picked a corner and dug a small 1x2 shaft straight down. Stand on one, dig across and down, hop down, turn around, dig across and down, ect. That way I always had something to stand on if I broke through. And breakthrough I finally did. A really large cave. Huge. Gold, Iron, Red Ore, and I think one square of Diamond. I mapped out a bunch with torches, and promptly got lost. Took me about 35 minutes to find my dropdown point just so I could go back up.

Also, I HATE dying. I mean, it sucks when you lose your items, but more importantly I don't want my character to die. I feel like I failed and I have this need to start over. I want to stay alive in other games of course, but somehow I'm more attached to this character.

Lastly, my friends are so tired of me talking about this game. Hopefully they will just buy it and experience the awesome.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Visualante said:
GAF server was too serious business anyway. Try playing with other people in the meantime- I'm on a goon server, the Eurogamer one I checked out the other night was great. Plenty of communities.
Bootaaay said:
For you, maybe. Aren't you the guy who enjoys griefing random peoples servers?
Yeah, if i recall correctly, he's the real jerk from previous messages that would set shit on fire and go "duhhh, chillax bro" when people complained, so any community that allows him in and enables his behavior, I rather not be a part of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom