• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
PA actually hasn't given the game too much of a bump. It was at 5400 daily sales earlier this week. I half expected to check minecraft.net and see something like 15000 sales.

Vlad

Caesar III said:
As long as health and tracks in SMP work I'm so happy.

He mentioned tinkering with floodgates on twitter, so hopefully those will make it in.

I tried experimenting with water and doors a while back, and was disappointed that they completely block it off, even when open.

Drewsky

Only 25% actually bought the game? That sucks. Is that a decent stat for an indie game like this or is that worse than usual?

ZokWobblefotz

Neo Member
For anyone who doesn't understand why this game is so addictive, please allow Penny Arcade to put it into perspective:

1010842689_DYj3P-L.jpg

:D I loled..

Update now due saturday. Crouching (and not falling off as a result) would be amazing!

Sep
Seecret Saturday update!? Also, tutorials.

I need rest! (technically food and beer) I’ll finish the update tomorrow instead.
I’ll add crouching, which will prevent you from walking over an edge, to make up for the late release. :D

I had an interesting idea on how to teach people the crafting in Minecraft. The first thing that’s needed in any case is something that tells the player to press “I” to access the inventory. Once that is up, there could be a small “recipy” icon in the upper right corner. Pressing that opens up a tech tree with everything except wood planks grayed out into mysterious question marks. Hovering the wood planks shows the recipy (tree trunk -> wood planks!), and if the player completes that recipy he unlocks the next recipes in the tech tree thing. The recipes link into each other in somewhat logical ways, and can be non-crafting things like showing that a better pickaxe is requires to get ore, or that ore in a furnace produces ingots.

Note that you don’t actually HAVE to unlock anything in the tech tree to be able to craft those things, it’s just meant as a way to show people what can be made, and add some kind of exploration to it.

Once we have achievements, one of them can be for completing the entire crafting tech tree. :D

Vinci

Danish
Drewsky said:
Only 25% actually bought the game? That sucks. Is that a decent stat for an indie game like this or is that worse than usual?

That's a really good pick-up rate for any game type, to be honest, but definitely for something this peculiar.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Drewsky said:
The game costs 9.95 euros

Dude sold 165,856 copies

dude made 1,650,267.20 EUR

AKA 2,154,718.00 USD

by himself.

~166k copies for a game that has had no coverage from the media until now, which is still in alpha mode. That sounds awesome to me.

fresquito

Vinci said:
That's a really good pick-up rate for any game type, to be honest, but definitely for something this peculiar.
Yeah, even more when you take into account that the Alpha plays nothing like the free thing.

Edit1: Saturday update is a bummer. Glad it will be feature filled -or at least, that's what I want to believe-.

Edit2: When you set Redstone dust on the ground? Can you pick it up again?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One thing I'd really like to see is spawnpoint markers. I love wandering and adventuring and building crazy shit, but being able to build or move a spawnpoint would be invaluable.

Also, and I dont even know if this is possible, I'd love to see the ability to use stuff like the miencarts and boats as a base for construction. So one could, hypothetically, build off a 'boat' to create a bigger boat.

Basically I want a pirate ship.

Vinci

Danish
fresquito said:
Edit2: When you set Redstone dust on the ground? Can you pick it up again?

Yup, just whack the top layer on the block - the redstone dust one.

Vlad said:
He mentioned tinkering with floodgates on twitter, so hopefully those will make it in.

I tried experimenting with water and doors a while back, and was disappointed that they completely block it off, even when open.

On this point, I wanted to make a factory for obsidian that would utilize lever-activated doors to control different elements of it... only to find this exact problem. So yes, floodgates would be nice.

fresquito

Vinci said:
Yup, just whack the top layer on the block - the redstone dust one.

On this point, I wanted to make a factory for obsidian that would utilize lever-activated doors to control different elements of it... only to find this exact problem. So yes, floodgates would be nice.
Thanks.

BTW, What do you want obsidian for? Is it of any use?

Philthy

Honestly, if he would just fix monsters and the health in SMP, I would probably be happy with Minecraft "as is" for eternity.

Just those two tiny little one-minute-to-code fixes!

Well, and minecarts in SMP, too.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
EatChildren said:
One thing I'd really like to see is spawnpoint markers. I love wandering and adventuring and building crazy shit, but being able to build or move a spawnpoint would be invaluable.

Also, and I dont even know if this is possible, I'd love to see the ability to use stuff like the miencarts and boats as a base for construction. So one could, hypothetically, build off a 'boat' to create a bigger boat.

Basically I want a pirate ship.
Ooh, that'd be awesome! You could place a bunch of boats next to each other and they would merge into a bigger hull (similar to how the chests merge) which can then be built on. That would be fantastic!

Sciz

Drewsky said:
That percentage is actually more than double what it was a couple months ago, and that's on top of how the number of total accounts has gone up by an order of magnitude. It's doing amazingly well and only continues to pick up steam.

Philthy said:
Honestly, if he would just fix monsters and the health in SMP, I would probably be happy with Minecraft "as is" for eternity.

Well, and minecarts in SMP, too.
Stuff like that is, uh, decidedly not a one-minute fix. :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
drizzle said:

Dude sold 165,856 copies

AKA 2,154,718.00 USD

by himself.

~166k copies for a game that has had no coverage from the media until now, which is still in alpha mode. That sounds awesome to me.
I would say it was small media coverage that sold the last 100k games.

Twig

Banned
Philthy said:
i hope this is sarcasm

Drkirby said:
I would say it was small media coverage that sold the last 100k games.
If the game hadn't been worth playing it never would've made it to that small media, etc. He deserves all the credit.

Drewsky

drizzle said:

Dude sold 165,856 copies

AKA 2,154,718.00 USD

by himself.

When you put it that way...

Vlad

Vinci said:

Thing is, that won't really work even with floodgates, unless he changes how obsidian is made. Right now, the only way to make obsidian is to put water on a lava source block. Water on a lava non-source block will only get you cobblestone.

Vinci

Danish
Vlad said:
Thing is, that won't really work even with floodgates, unless he changes how obsidian is made. Right now, the only way to make obsidian is to put water on a lava source block. Water on a lava non-source block will only get you cobblestone.

No, no. I made a large pool of lava and had chutes located at regular intervals above it. And I had a lever system connected to doors that were meant to allow water flow whenever I opened those doors and then would close (or leave on, depending on where I was cutting the obsidian at).

Logistically, it should have worked, but the door system doesn't allow for water flow.

Ferrio

Banned
Penny Arcade has their blog post now

Tycho said:
Independent of mysteriously derived patent medicines, though apparently no less addictive, Minecraft has occupied my cohort every hour of my absence. He sent me a mail that eschewed capitalization entirely, with a link to "minecraft" nestled within and an exhortation to purchase the aforementioned because "it is only 9 dollars." A link to the crafting wiki was also provided. This was clearly a quick mail, he had not labored over it. This is because he had somewhere to be.

He's well and truly gone; the Gabriel we knew is dead. He delved too deep and was remade in the hot veins of the Earth. I have heard him suggest that the game is crack, but it's more like all of the ingredients and equipment that you need to make crack, which I'd say is worse. It's like: give a man some crack, and he'll... but if you teach him to make crack, and then... There must be a saying that explains all this, surely.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
His idea for recipe discovery & a tech tree is the exact thing I suggested on his Google Moderator where he asked players to submit game ideas. This was my suggestion:

"Have an in-game crafting recipe book, showing the formulas to craft objects. Possibly force players to "discover" the formulas for new objects somehow & track which ones they've learned, rather than reveal them all from the start."
:D :D

I don't think Notch read it, but I'm going to go ahead and take credit anyway.

Vinci

Danish
Vorador said:
Well, it's the strongest material on the game. Not even creepers explosions can destroy it.

Also, Notch has hinted that obsidian might end up having very special benefits later on, so I'd like to find a method for creating it reliably. One of my worlds is purely built based on sustainability - what can I make, what can I not.

Obviously most structures are made out of wood on that world.

fresquito

Well, maybe I'll look into farming obsidian in the future.

On a related note, this game never ceases to amaze me. I mean, it's like there's no possible end to it. This afternoom I was exploring dungeons, getting lots of redstone and even gold and suddenly, I run out of torches and sticks and so I go back to get some more. I start managing my things I suddenly I think: Hey, let's explore a bit the overworld, it's been a long time since last.

So, after exploring for a while I find crops, I plant crops nearby my house. While planting them, I think how cool it'd be to sail the world with a boat, so I create a kind of dock. I can't make proper doors, so I let it open. I make a boat and then I realise I can't sail the world with my boat because it's a damn lake I live nearby. So I plan on creating a kind of channel. I pick up some TNT and blow my way through . Only it's not enough and I now need more powder, so I go back home thinking it will take me more time than I thought. I go to the docks just to tell my little boat to be patient. She's not, she's gone abroad without me :lol Damn, I want me some flood gate!

And this is the story of how I'll probably go back to the mines to exploring and killing and getting more redstone and maybe diamond (I already have a disc player, yeah!). But who knows, because maybe I turn it on and I begin building a statue or else!

Blizzard

Banned
Drewsky said:
As others have pointed out, that percentage has been climbing, plus those 75% have either stopped playing or are presumably playing the (fun for some people like me) free creative version. And it's now exactly at 5900 people in the last 24 hours, probably from the Penny Arcade bump.

What's sad is I have basically not played it all in a month or so, but I still love reading about it. Now that he's adding MOUSE SENSITIVITY and CROUCHING, a couple of features that people have been wanting, maybe I'll finally dive back in for a few minutes hours. :lol

My only hope is that he makes the crouching go far enough that you can still see over the edge to plant blocks. I wonder if it will make your actual height any lower? It shouldn't make a difference anywhere but I still wonder if it could result in odd HL2-esque crouch jumping or something like that.

commissar

Blizzard said:
My only hope is that he makes the crouching go far enough that you can still see over the edge to plant blocks. I wonder if it will make your actual height any lower? It shouldn't make a difference anywhere but I still wonder if it could result in odd HL2-esque crouch jumping or something like that.
Incoming minecraft defrag videos.

I really find MP to be the best. The social aspect really ups the game fun IMO, as co-operation on buildings and being pushed to try harder is great fun.

WEGGLES

It's not in an online game :[

I don't want to spleef by my self in an underwater glass covered pit while a skeleton watches.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Razorskin said:
Tomorrow's update is hopefully going to make bridge making much easier.

Comic time
http://imgur.com/ZozMC.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Awesome. :lol

Creepers are excellent punchlines.

blahness

WEGGLES said:
It's not in an online game :[

I don't want to spleef by my self in an underwater glass covered pit while a skeleton watches.

ya know you can copy your world folder and copy it to a minecraft multiplayer server folder

WEGGLES

blahness said:
ya know you can copy your world folder and copy it to a minecraft multiplayer server folder
Yeah, but even still
I don't play online, I don't have people to play online with, and I'd rather use it for something cool single player wise. I just have no idea what to use my hydrodome for :[

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
WEGGLES said:
Yeah, but even still
I don't play online, I don't have people to play online with, and I'd rather use it for something cool single player wise. I just have no idea what to use my hydrodome for :[
Can you grow an underwater forest?

WEGGLES

The_Technomancer said:
Can you grow an underwater forest?
I dunno. Don't those need sunlight?

It's pretty dark in the dome, even with candles.

Edit: Also there's no way out. Guess I should tunnel out :lol

fresquito

How many of you use texture packs. And in the case you do, which ones?

I've tried RPG pack and it looks awesome, except for a couple textures that are buggy and glass that is glass no more. However, I still prefer the original, because of flowing water and what not.

seb

Banned
fresquito said:
How many of you use texture packs. And in the case you do, which ones?

I've tried RPG pack and it looks awesome, except for a couple textures that are buggy and glass that is glass no more. However, I still prefer the original, because of flowing water and what not.

Funny that you would say that, I am trying to fix that as we speak. I don't see what reason whatsoever could prevent to use the old flowing water. It's just a bunch of pngs !

My ideal skin would be doku rpg + animated lava and water + animated fire sprite + old ore (I'm too used to the regular iron and gold :lol)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I haven't played but I watched some of the tutorials on youtube, looks fun.

I think what would be cool is online (no PVP), and the addition of wives. Wives could make leather clothes, food, etc., for you if you bring them food.

Then everyone comes together, starts farming to generate more wheat for everyone, major mine excavations to turn all that wheat into a lot of bread thanks to the construction of windmills or watermills. Soon wives give birth, and kids eventually grow up and become NPCs, and then it's war against an army of skeletons coming from Mount Doom! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom