• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresquito

seb said:
Funny that you would say that, I am trying to fix that as we speak. I don't see what reason whatsoever could prevent to use the old flowing water. It's just a bunch of pngs !

My ideal skin would be doku rpg + animated lava and water + animated fire sprite + old ore (I'm too used to the regular iron and gold :lol)
The flowing water and lava seems to be a problem across all texture packs, so it might not be as simple. And yes, Deku textures look awesome and I'd consider on using them, except for lava, which doesn't look good, and glass, which is not glass and when you do pretty things with glass and water, they're pretty no more :-( -and of course, non burning bricks :lol -. A variant on old ore would be great too, since RPG's ore doesn't look too hot.

Ydahs said:
The deed is done. I have sold my soul.

Where to start? What to do?
http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Then, ask no more. If you are longing for a guided experience and someone telling what to do next, this is not a game for you.

Ether_Snake said:
I haven't played but I watched some of the tutorials on youtube, looks fun.

I think what would be cool is online (no PVP), and the addition of wives. Wives could make leather clothes, food, etc., for you if you bring them food.

Then everyone comes together, starts farming to generate more wheat for everyone, major mine excavations to turn all that wheat into a lot of bread thanks to the construction of windmills or watermills. Soon wives give birth, and kids eventually grow up and become NPCs, and then it's war against an army of skeletons coming from Mount Doom! :lol
I like your take on the paper of the woman...

Just wow.

Ydahs

Snaku said:
Anywhere. Anything.
I died :(

I found a cave and was to scared to enter it and it was dark. So I tried digging a tunnel from above to generate some light. Then there was a green monster, an explosion and then I was dead...

What the hell? I lost all my items?!

fresquito

Ydahs said:
I died :(

I found a cave and was to scared to enter it and it was dark. So I tried digging a tunnel from above to generate some light. Then there was a green monster, an explosion and then I was dead...

What the hell? I lost all my items?!
They will be where you died. Except when you die in the lava. First thing is building a shelter for the night. Look for some coal and create torches. Then mine and enjoy. BTW, you need a pickaxe to get stone.

seb

Banned
fresquito said:
The flowing water and lava seems to be a problem across all texture packs, so it might not be as simple. And yes, Deku textures look awesome and I'd consider on using them, except for lava, which doesn't look good, and glass, which is not glass and when you do pretty things with glass and water, they're pretty no more :-( -and of course, non burning bricks :lol -. A variant on old ore would be great too, since RPG's ore doesn't look too hot.

Success (sort of). Turns out resolution is key, so I scaled Doku RPG back down to the game expected res and it's all good. Put back proper glass and ore too:

Original
noskin.png

Doku's RPG
doku.png

Mine
myskin.png

here's the terrain.png to replace in minecraft.jar if you want to test it:
http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/seb_054/neogaf/?action=view&current=terrain.png

It's not perfect yet, there's cleanup to do in the alpha channel (I think crops will look really bad), but I can't do that yet since I don't have any crop (damn, there's so much stuff to do in this game :D )

fresquito

Doing a channel has proven to be the trickiest endeavour I've taken myself into. Water dynamics are good enough, in most cases.Bbut they need to be worked more. It makes no sense having a deep channel uniting two big masses of water and seeing how it remains dry just because water will fall down after two squares. It should flood the channel, damn it!

However, I'm doing the hard job and using buckets to fill the thing (helped with pillars, and what not). Now I see how stupid of an idea it is. I could have created a dock on the back of the house and live the life. But again, isn't this game about this? Devising big plans, coming up with solution and succeding at them?

Love! This game is love.

Ydahs

There is nothing scarier than swimming in a deep location at night and hearing growling noises... Let's just say my deep sea exploration didn't continue for much longer!

fresquito

seb said:
Success (sort of). Turns out resolution is key, so I scaled Doku RPG back down to the game expected res and it's all good. Put back proper glass and ore too:

here's the terrain.png to replace in minecraft.jar if you want to test it:
http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/seb_054/neogaf/?action=view&current=terrain.png

It's not perfect yet, there's cleanup to do in the alpha channel (I think crops will look really bad), but I can't do that yet since I don't have any crop (damn, there's so much stuff to do in this game :D )
Wow, you're my hero!

Crops don't look so bad. Although I hope Notch includes a brightness slider, because Doku's maybe too dark. I'd like a slightly brighter version. Other than that, it's awesome how great it looks.

Of course glass looks a bit out of place now, just like water. But the trade off is well worth it. Bricks being grey is a let down, since they don't look that different to stone or cobblestone. But wow, such an awesome work. Congratulations and thanks. I'll be using this as my new standard.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ladies and gentlemen, the Technomancer's latest character skin was seen in World 3 at the construction of his new club. Unfortunately, he could not be contacted for comment, and this is the only photo that could be taken.
2vtw11y.png

Ydahs said:
There is nothing scarier than swimming in a deep location at night and hearing growling noises... Let's just say my deep sea exploration didn't continue for much longer!

Just imagine when there are actual underwater mobs O:

The Technomancer

So, lets find out how useful sneaking is...

Twig said:
Holy shit that's awesome.
Alternate dimension fast travel....so does that mean we'll be able to build like....portals that open onto the Hell biome at different spots in our world? Cause that would be fucking sweet.

Tobor

So now I can't connect to the server, and I can't play my singleplayer game either. How long does this usually take after an update?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Anyone know what else is included in the update? He mentioned a few other small things.

Fake edit: I'm going to poke around and see what I can find.

Okay, the only thing I found is that it looks like a fishing rod has been added. But no fish yet, soooo....

Tobor said:
So now I can't connect to the server, and I can't play my singleplayer game either. How long does this usually take after an update?
Its often been instantaneous before. The game has sold so much since the last major update that I don't know how much time it will take for the server to slowly trickle out the update to people/ enough people give up on updating that some can get through. Guess we now know what he should invest some of that large chunk of revenue in.

EDIT:
shadowcomplex said:
What are biome??
Regional climates. Wander away in a certain direction from your spawn far enough and the forest/ mountains region could become regular islands, floating islands, snowy arctic region, who knows what else. Currently whatever climate your map spawns with, it stays that way no matter how far you explore.

Tobor

fredrancour said:
Its often been instantaneous before. The game has sold so much since the last major update that I don't know how much time it will take for the server to slowly trickle out the update to people/ enough people give up on updating that some can get through. Guess we now know what he should invest some of that large chunk of revenue in.

No worries, once it timed out it gave me the ability play offline. I can wait for the update.

Twig

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
I have not read Wheel of Time. Please explain.
It's basically a "fast" travel that requires traveling through an alternate dimension that is full of danger. I don't know how MUCH like WoT he plans to make it, but in the books, you get in through ancient (basically magic, though in the books it's called something else) gates, and there's no real solid "ground", only the pathways floating in the air, winding around each other, and it's dark as shit, and bad things happen.

I'm pretty sure that's right. It's... been a long while since I last read any WoT. ):

The Technomancer

Still trying to download. And I'm hoping that eventually Notch will create/release a fully featured World Editor so that I can create cool things for other people to explore. Even more so then Creative, which is a bit annoying because you're still restricted to a first person perspective. Cause that SkyLands thing is awesome.

Finally finished the update and now whenever I run minecraft.exe my whole screen flashes blue on and off every second, even though i'm playing the game in a window :/

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Looks like new paintings were also part of the update, unless they are fake:

MWfcx.png

Notice the creeper painting :D

Edit: unrelated but I didn't want to double post - game is up to 6600 sales in the last 24 hours, which is a new record.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh my God at the comments in Notch's blog.

Everyone wants to be a white knight, and they're all so dumb.

This can't be good for my sanity.

The_Technomancer said:
Still trying to download. And I'm hoping that eventually Notch will create/release a fully featured World Editor so that I can create cool things for other people to explore. Even more so then Creative, which is a bit annoying because you're still restricted to a first person perspective. Cause that SkyLands thing is awesome.
Theres a third party program that does something to that effect. NBTedit i think it's called? or MineEdit?

MNC

Holy shuckinge fit shit FUCK, that hell biome is a ridiculously awesome idea I couldn't even have dreamt of!

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
Bootaaay said:
Finally finished the update and now whenever I run minecraft.exe my whole screen flashes blue on and off every second, even though i'm playing the game in a window :/

I get the same although my screen flashes grey, it only goes away once I shut down minecraft. eek..
Hope Notch sorts this soon!

Tobor

Brazil said:
Oh my God at the comments in Notch's blog.

Everyone wants to be a white knight, and they're all so dumb.

This can't be good for my sanity.

The guy dropping the "I'm a programmer, everyone should listen to me" line in the first post was pretty awesome. :lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tobor said:
The guy dropping the "I'm a programmer, everyone should listen to me" line in the first post was pretty awesome. :lol
And the guy answering with "If you're a programmer, make your own game" was even better. :lol

The Technomancer

Wow :lol @ those comments. Notch has been pretty good about bugfixing so far, I don't have a problem if he balances new features with fixing old so he doesn't go nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom