• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Brazil said:
Oh my God at the comments in Notch's blog.

Everyone wants to be a white knight, and they're all so dumb.

This can't be good for my sanity.
To be fair, the people bitching are also all so dumb.
GDJustin said:
Edit: unrelated but I didn't want to double post - game is up to 6600 sales in the last 24 hours, which is a new record.
I thought he tweeted 7000.

Twig said:
It's basically a "fast" travel that requires traveling through an alternate dimension that is full of danger. I don't know how MUCH like WoT he plans to make it, but in the books, you get in through ancient (basically magic, though in the books it's called something else) gates, and there's no real solid "ground", only the pathways floating in the air, winding around each other, and it's dark as shit, and bad things happen.

I'm pretty sure that's right. It's... been a long while since I last read any WoT. ):
So, yeah, I mostly remembered right. They're called waygates.

Alternatively he could be talking about the portal stones, which leads to dimensions that are typically less hell-like, but probably significantly easier?

Either idea sounds fucking rad as shit to me, though.

Twig

Banned
Brazil said:
At least they try.

But yeah.
They try and fail miserably. The white knights are right. It is an alpha. I don't care if they paid for it, they knew what they were getting going in - and if they didn't, that's their own damn fault. I'm not going to go in those comments and start riding Notch's banana, but those whiners are literally complete idiots.

The white knights are likewise unintelligent most of the time. About the only thing they DO get right is what I already mentioned: "alpha." The rest of the crap, like, "if you don't like it GO DO BETTER" is of course fucking stupid. They are consumers, not producers.

Sciz

Brazil said:
Well, that's one way to capitalize on a bad situation. Hope the server doesn't crash again under the load of thousands of people downloading the client. :lol

Someone should probably make a new thread about this for the rest of GAF.

edit:

Notch's twitter said:
I found the grayscreen thing! It was caused by a failed Gamma setting experiment! It should be fixed now.

Twig

Banned
Tempy said:
Isn't making this free to play actually going to make the server load worse?
That's what I would think, but... maybe not?!

Part of the server load is logging in. If he disables that, then...

But on the other hand, downloading the executable... Well, over all it should lower the load, I would think. There might be an initial rush, but then it will go away.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
fresquito said:
So beside sneaking, the fishing rod and the option sliders, is there anything new?

Nothing that we or the official minecraft forums know of yet.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
funkmastergeneral said:
It looks like he spent the majority of his time on biomes then figured out they really didn't work yet.
Once biomes go up though, the game is going to get even more awesome. I'll have incentive to actually explore my world.

The Technomancer

Twig said:
man

as much as i am a proponent of expanding upon good ideas, even if they aren't your own

this makes me sad ):
I kind of have to wonder about the people who work on a project like that. Are they really proud of what they do?

Twig

Banned
It's shift.

The_Technomancer said:
I kind of have to wonder about the people who work on a project like that. Are they really proud of what they do?
I doubt pride has anything to do with it. ]:

The Technomancer

Pinko Marx said:
What the button to crawl anyway?
You can now look over edges and place blocks without risking falling off. It might also make you able to sneak behind enemies and such.

EDIT: Whoops, yeah, its Shift

Yeah, thanks. I found it. Forgot there was a change controls menu in the options. Btw folks, I know a lot of people like Doku's texture pack but I highly recommend the Painterly Pack for those that might want a high quality texture pack that stays true to the original. I'm playing with it now and its awesome.

The_Technomancer said:
come on, minecraft was pretty much a thing like that aswell. games like these seem to be going the way of tower defense or whatever, but just because someone does that and isn't or will never be as successful or even as good as minecraft.. there still could be some ok ideas or implementations in there. look at all these fucking doom clones

Twig

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
come on, minecraft was pretty much a thing like that aswell. games like these seem to be going the way of tower defense or whatever, but just because someone does that and isn't or will never be as successful or even as good as minecraft.. there still could be some ok ideas or implementations in there. look at all these fucking doom clones
Minecraft took a simple idea and has really made something of its own. Cubelands is just riding on Minecraft's coattails.

We all knew it was going to happen, of course. That doesn't make it sit any better. Nor should it.

Quixzlizx

Joseph Merrick said:

What? :lol

You're just mad that Notch is best buds with Valve, aren't you.

So, how do I find an online Minecraft server when most of them link through the official Minecraft website? The two GAF servers in the Online thread don't seem to work, pretty sure I had heard about GAFLand being shut down before anyway.

commissar

on closer inspection, cubelands is made with unity3d, and not java.

So it's not like it's a complete rip off.

somethingsomething cubelands somethingsomething minecraft somethingsomething infiniminer somethingsomething lego somethingsomething wooden blocks.

cubelands genuinely looks good, and their community preview is actually way more awesome than minecraft's janky mp.

Twig

Banned
commissar said:
on closer inspection, cubelands is made with unity3d, and not java.

So it's not like it's a complete rip off.

something something infiniminer something something.
Well, no one ever said he stole the code. It is what it is - a quick cashgrab.

Infiniminer had long been abandoned (and wasn't even really popular) before Minecraft came along and actually added something new. Yes, it took a while for Survival mode to show up, but it also took a while for Minecraft to really become a huge hit.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Well, no one ever said he stole the code. It is what it is - a quick cashgrab.

Infiniminer had long been abandoned (and wasn't even really popular) before Minecraft came along and actually added something new. Yes, it took a while for Survival mode to show up, but it also took a while for Minecraft to really become a huge hit.
There was actually another one that I think looked even more similar to Minecraft, maybe mentioned a while back. I -think- they may have been trying to make it open-source.

At any rate, apparently some people had their computers keep gray screens even AFTER rebooting, which is kind of scary. Notch murdering computers!

Apparently there may be a fix though, involving rebooting in safe mode and using your video card control center to change the gamma back: http://notch.tumblr.com/post/1145841495/regarding-the-grayscreen-issue

commissar

Twig said:
Competition is a different thing from what is happening here.
I don't see it as any different to the CoD/MoH etc. cashgrabs, so why should this be an issue

cubeworld are actually expanding the experience, so what is the problem?

I don't know if it was that smart to put the downloads on an amazon cloud server. Now he has to pay for every GB downloaded. And most of them are downloading because of the free weekend

:D

edit:

woah, what did he do to what part of the game? All my lag on my notebook is gone. Thank you notch

The Technomancer

Caesar III said:
I don't know if it was that smart to put the downloads on an amazon cloud server. Now he has to pay for every GB downloaded. And most of them are downloading because of the free weekend

:D
Yeah, but for one weekend I really doubt money is Notch's problem. ;)

The Technomancer

Hey, so, I'm venturing into the world of farming for the first time. How do I plant reeds? Do I need dedicated reed seeds, or just the harvested plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom