• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorskin

----- ------
Caesar III said:
use the hoe on grass. Then you'll get some seeds. those you can plant on the dirt blocks you also used the hoe on.

He's talking about reed.

To grow reeds you need to obtain the plant itself, and plant it near water.

it needs direct connection to water. Normal dirt and sand should work. Diagonal access to water is not enough. It really must be next to it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
drizzle said:
You need to plant it on a block that was water adjacent to it.
Yeah, I am. I've got a strip of sand right up against the water and right clicking with Bamboo equipped doesn't do anything.

EDIT: So apparently I can plant it on regular dirt, but not sand or tilled dirt.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I'm having a bit of a problem. I was updating the game earlier when I lost connection to the server partway through the download. Had to close out the client midstream. I'm trying to open it back up tonight and I'm getting an error. It seems to be crashing when it hits the file it was uploading/updating earlier. Am I going to have to start clean from square one? Is there any way I can salvage my saves?

Ceebs

ZealousD said:
So I'm having a bit of a problem. I was updating the game earlier when I lost connection to the server partway through the download. Had to close out the client midstream. I'm trying to open it back up tonight and I'm getting an error. It seems to be crashing when it hits the file it was uploading/updating earlier. Am I going to have to start clean from square one? Is there any way I can salvage my saves?
Search for a folder called .minecraft. There should be a folder called saves in that.

commissar

ZealousD said:
Just redownload the client from the MC site, as the update servers seem to be slightly broken. Your saves will be fine. But you can back them up as the above poster said :]

vermadas

So I tried out the new sneaking feature today while building some scaffolding for the underside of my floating fortress. It almost feels like cheating. Not only are you safe from falling but it allows you to extend yourself a bit further off a ledge than you could before. It's going to be quite useful. I hope he eventually puts an option in to make sneak a toggle instead of a hold though.

Ceebs said:
This may be the most hilarious Minecraft video I have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

:lol

Can anyone think of a reason why my frame rate is so bad? Like, unplayable bad. I have a pretty competent computer, that can run things like TF2 almost maxed out. This makes no sense.

Drkirby said:
I really wish Gaf had anther server right now.

There's just too many GAF people. The server is a beast when it comes to memory, not to mention inventory is in now. Not to mention there's no way to control people using Minecarts/Boats which still cause some wonky shit to happen.

TheNiX said:
There's just too many GAF people. The server is a beast when it comes to memory, not to mention inventory is in now. Not to mention there's no way to control people using Minecarts/Boats which still cause some wonky shit to happen.

That's pretty easily remedied by capping the amount of people who can join at any one time

Stitch

Gold Member
Blu_LED said:
Can anyone think of a reason why my frame rate is so bad? Like, unplayable bad. I have a pretty competent computer, that can run things like TF2 almost maxed out. This makes no sense.
maybe your java is completely outdated

funkmastergeneral said:
That's pretty easily remedied by capping the amount of people who can join at any one time

This is true, but then you run into people spamming the connect button.

If it didn't come with so many unknowns and performance issues I'd have offered my server up.

Is there a way to play this game with 1-3 friends in a consistent world? with the whole survival aspect still in tact?

It would be cool to be playing the game (like I am in the Single Player) but with my friends as my neighbors (playing even when I'm offline).

Darknessbear said:
Is there a way to play this game with 1-3 friends in a consistent world? with the whole survival aspect still in tact?

It would be cool to be playing the game (like I am in the Single Player) but with my friends as my neighbors (playing even when I'm offline).
This is theoretically what the game's multiplayer is building towards, but its still in development. everyone who has bought it has technically pre-ordered it and he just publishes the newest functional builds of the alpha as he goes. I dont really do multi so i dont know how full featured it is right now.

IceMarker

I feel bad for Notch, all this popularity and he can barely handle all of it, including all the stuff he has to do to get his company off the ground.

b5Gxz.png

My first shot at agriculture in minecraft. Don't think I did too shabby.

Ignignort

Be careful with your setup if you plan to harvest, walking on crops a few times will cause them to disappear.

I like the mossy cobblestone walls!

Ignignort said:
Be careful with your setup if you plan to harvest, walking on crops a few times will cause them to disappear.

I like the mossy cobblestone walls!

Yeah s'why I have the dirt in the middle, I can just hop and harvest.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rainier said:
In the last world I generated it was snowing. Will it stop?

No, I dont think so. Thats where the biomes will come in.

fresquito

I finished my channel. At last! Well, kind of. It's now working, but I have to set up some things (like outer barriers to prevent suicidal animals from falling inside and thus forcing me to use the bow to kill them).

I went abroad and visited a small island not far from homeland. It was full of trees, so I did what the white man does: I chopped them down :lol No, really, I just chopped some of them and planted new ones. I'm greenie after all :D

Now I feel my horizons have expanded. My next endeavour will probably be making a big Moss (from the IT crowd) statue.

Dragmire

MrMister said:
I feel bad for Notch, all this popularity and he can barely handle all of it, including all the stuff he has to do to get his company off the ground.
I know and I feel like some people don't know how to keep their expectations of the game grounded in reality and instead act like spoiled children about it. I mean yeah, you paid for a product, great. But since you've dumped a good 100+ hours into the $13 game, I think got your money's worth. And there's an actual, real person behind it that's busy as hell trying to get the game off the ground.

It reminds me of customers going into stores and bitching about the most inane shit, thinking that they're giving the company what it deserves. But truthfully they're just being an ass to real people who are paid to deal with the company's bullshit.

fresquito

Yeah, people are asses. Sometimes you get great updates, sometimes you don't. I felt a bit dissapointed with the last one, but after playing, it's highly awesome. It eases me a lot of trouble building things and not falling off a cliff.

I think this game has dug its claws into me. :lol It's pretty telling when you step your character back to admire your finished work. "Fuck yeah." And I know I'm barely scraping the surface.

One thing bugging me: sometimes when I've been mining, and come back up into my house, there's animals in there, and I'm worried one of these times it's going to be monsters. There's no gaps that I know of, do they just sometimes spawn in your structures, or are they glitching through something?

Kulock said:
I think this game has dug its claws into me. :lol It's pretty telling when you step your character back to admire your finished work. "Fuck yeah." And I know I'm barely scraping the surface.

One thing bugging me: sometimes when I've been mining, and come back up into my house, there's animals in there, and I'm worried one of these times it's going to be monsters. There's no gaps that I know of, do they just sometimes spawn in your structures, or are they glitching through something?

Do you have a gross floor in your house? Make your floor out of stone or wood or something.

Kulock said:

Animals will spawn wherever there's grass, but don't worry, as long as it's well lit no monsters will spawn.

putarorex

Sweet jebus this game is addictive.

I downloaded it this morning when I saw it was free and played it for an hour or so. I was really digging it but I had plans to go to the Tokyo Game Show. I spent most of my time at the game show wanting to go back home and play Minecraft (standing in line and after line gives you lots of time to ponder things).

Once I got home I played for four hours straight--totally engrossed. Exploring and building (and upgrading) your fort in survival mode is insanely fun. I am definitely buying this; my wife is going to hate this game. :D

Dragmire

Bootaaay said:
Animals will spawn wherever there's grass, but don't worry, as long as it's well lit no monsters will spawn.
When I first got the game, I played for a long time before I found out about torches or how to make them. Somehow, I was lucky enough that mobs never spawned in my dark, mountain-side home. It was very nerve-racking.

fresquito

Something strange happened. I put a lot of dirt blocks on the ground. None of them got covered with green. Now that I think about it, they're set in a small island. Maybe if they're not connected to the mainland they won't grow any green?

S. L.

fresquito said:
Something strange happened. I put a lot of dirt blocks on the ground. None of them got covered with green. Now that I think about it, they're set in a small island. Maybe if they're not connected to the mainland they won't grow any green?
i think they need to be connected with an existing grass block

Pinko Marx said:
Do you have a gross floor in your house? Make your floor out of stone or wood or something.
Bootaaay said:
Thanks, that would explain it. Alright, next order of business is redoing my flooring. :D

Not that it wasn't occasionally rewarding to pop upstairs and find free furs and ham.

Myomoto

fresquito said:

They need to be connected to an existing grass tile, either on the same z-level, or one at the level below/above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom