• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Enco

The server in the op is wrong. That's why it says unknown host.

Quote to see the right one.

Just needed to change the last . to a :

Xun

Enco said:

Tears of joy are on my face right now.

Eccocid

Awesome Animals said:
Is my Platform by the sand wall still around? I'm going to try and expand on it tonight. lol

I also want to try Exano's server.

You mean that bigass sand wall with cactus on it? wekinda upgraded it with lava waterfalls and hanging shack on tis wall lol

bengraven

Oh, awesome. So there is a GAF survival server.

Will be joining you guys shortly on exano. :D

EDIT: I'm "railts"

Very cool looking spawn.

Ranger X

For some reason I find heights to be more impressive in Minecraft than in other games. I'm wondering why. Maybe because we "feel" the world more since we ALWAYS "communicate with it"? I almost feel vertigo in the game when very high. This never happens in other games for me.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
keep forgetting the work PC just doesn't like to run the game, I'll log on when I get home.

It's a game that I can take a break from for a few weeks, and step right back in, with loads of new stuff to explore. Best part of the game to me.

Ranger X

animlboogy said:
I get this too. I also feel my stomach drop almost every time I fall from a high place. It's very strange, as I don't remember this happening in any other games.

Like yesterday evening from the Tree house. :p lol
Or was it GimmeCat?

randomwab

animlboogy said:
I get this too. I also feel my stomach drop almost every time I fall from a high place. It's very strange, as I don't remember this happening in any other games.

I get this too. Mirror's Edge gave me it at times too. Such a weird feeling.

Ranger X

I think that our brain assimilate the logics and distances super effectively and fast in Minecraft. The world is simple and everything works with one metric: that cube size. There's also no physics to the ground and much things + we are constantly using/modyfying with those cubes. That what I meant by "communicating with the world". Therefore our brains might get used /immersed in Minecraft more easily or more effectively than in other game worlds and therefore that's why our sensations are more real (like vertigo and such).

Ranger X said:
I think that our brain assimilate the logics and distances super effectively and fast in Minecraft. The world is simple and everything works with one metric: that cube size. There's also no physics to the ground and much things + we are constantly using/modyfying with those cubes. That what I meant by "communicating with the world". Therefore our brains might get used /immersed in Minecraft more easily or more effectively than in other game worlds and therefore that's why our sensations are more real (like vertigo and such).

That, and the responces are visceral. Going off a ledge always means falling. Lava always means burning. Deep water always means drowning. Zombies always means eaten brains. :p

My friend set up a survival multiplayer server on a spare box he had at home, but it is laggy as fuuuuuuuck. Lag times vary, but there's often a delay of around 10 seconds between clicking to place a block and having it actually show up onscreen. Combat is practically impossible.

So, what's an affordable hosting solution if I wanted to set up my own server that isn't laggy as shit? It would only be for a handful of players. I have a cheapo Dreamhost shared hosting account, but I don't think it has the memory needed to run a Minecraft server.

Vlad

SatelliteOfLove said:
That, and the responces are visceral. Going off a ledge always means falling. Lava always means burning. Deep water always means drowning. Zombies always means eaten brains. :p

Exactly this.

I haven't tested it, but I don't know if a long fall is survivable even with full armor. It's that knowledge of certain death (plus the potential loss of all your items) that comes from falling/monsters/lava/etc that really makes the game super-tense. That's why I'm really hoping that the beds don't reduce that. In theory, you could bring a bed along with you in a cave and sleep on it every so often to get a new respawn point.

Psy-Phi

Parallax Scroll said:
My friend set up a survival multiplayer server on a spare box he had at home, but it is laggy as fuuuuuuuck. Lag times vary, but there's often a delay of around 10 seconds between clicking to place a block and having it actually show up onscreen. Combat is practically impossible.

So, what's an affordable hosting solution if I wanted to set up my own server that isn't laggy as shit? It would only be for a handful of players. I have a cheapo Dreamhost shared hosting account, but I don't think it has the memory needed to run a Minecraft server.
I like Linode.com, my friend uses it for Minecraft now too but he had one for Urban Terror. I got it for TF2, but I've ended up using it for MC. It's $20/month VPS with 512MB of RAM, 16GB of HDD space, and 200GB monthly transfer (more bandwidth than I know what to do with), great up and down speeds.

Yes MC requests 1GB RAM minimum, but I have it loading with 490 of my 512 with no problems (and honestly I ran it with 128 for a time while I had TF2 running as well, neither game was laggy, MC looked visually lessened (horizon was drawn closer in and repeating). But otherwise worked fine nad lag free for up to 8 people.

Only catch is you gotta know a bit about Linux or be willing to learn. They will install your requested distribution on it but after that you're on your own. And you want to first secure it from attacks and hacks. Then get MC up and running. Neither are hard in and of itself but if you haven't touched Linux before it might be daunting at first.

Mik2121 said:
g56ET.png

The tree houses and the sky bridge!.

The house on the left is GimmeCat's (eccocid here), the one in the middle is salmonboy's (salmon here) and the one on the right is mine.

I wish there were grass seeds. I built a forest up in the air once and I had to build a dirt bridge to it from a nearby grassy mountain and wait like 50 in-game days for the grass to move across it.

Psy-Phi said:
I like Linode.com, my friend uses it for Minecraft now too but he had one for Urban Terror. I got it for TF2, but I've ended up using it for MC. It's $20/month VPS with 512MB of RAM, 16GB of HDD space, and 200GB monthly transfer (more bandwidth than I know what to do with), great up and down speeds.

Yes MC requests 1GB RAM minimum, but I have it loading with 490 of my 512 with no problems (and honestly I ran it with 128 for a time while I had TF2 running as well, neither game was laggy, MC looked visually lessened (horizon was drawn closer in and repeating). But otherwise worked fine nad lag free for up to 8 people.

Only catch is you gotta know a bit about Linux or be willing to learn. They will install your requested distribution on it but after that you're on your own. And you want to first secure it from attacks and hacks. Then get MC up and running. Neither are hard in and of itself but if you haven't touched Linux before it might be daunting at first.
I'm not a Linux wizard but I can get by. I was hoping to spend less than $20 a month though, unless I also had some other stuff I was using the server for as well. =\

Psy-Phi

Parallax Scroll said:
I'm not a Linux wizard but I can get by. I was hoping to spend less than $20 a month though, unless I also had some other stuff I was using the server for as well. =\

Finding hosting options cheaper than $20 is a challenge. Usually hosting issues as well, but I speak only from hearsay and experience with one such company that I will strongly urge you to stay away from. Hazenet has the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced, and even worse VPS hosting. But they are cheap, $9 with their discount running (that's been running forever) or $14 normally.

I have a story to tell about them but this isn't the place for it. If your'e trying to save a buck it might be worth trying them out, but I wouldn't recommend it.There's a lot of VPS services though, Linode seems to be one of the cheaper and reliable solutions though.

Honestly though if you have the bandwidth at home, you can host one yourself most likely. Just make sure your system isn't too old. Any C2D or AMD Ahtlon X2 with 2-4GB of RAM should do nicely.

Vlad

CaptainAhab said:
I wish there were grass seeds. I built a forest up in the air once and I had to build a dirt bridge to it from a nearby grassy mountain and wait like 50 in-game days for the grass to move across it.

There are server mods that make that a little more palatable, by the way. For instance, Exano's server normally runs the Monster Hunt mod, and one of the prizes for winning a hunt is a grass block that you can use for just that purpose.

Also, grass will grow faster the more grass blocks are adjacent to it, so if you're making a bridge/staircase to move the grass from one place to another, the wider it is, the faster the grass will spread. I had to move grass from ground level to about halfway up my tower on Exano's, and a 3-wide dirt staircase did it fairly quickly.

Psy-Phi said:
Finding hosting options cheaper than $20 is a challenge. Usually hosting issues as well, but I speak only from hearsay and experience with one such company that I will strongly urge you to stay away from. Hazenet has the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced, and even worse VPS hosting. But they are cheap, $9 with their discount running (that's been running forever) or $14 normally.

I have a story to tell about them but this isn't the place for it. If your'e trying to save a buck it might be worth trying them out, but I wouldn't recommend it.There's a lot of VPS services though, Linode seems to be one of the cheaper and reliable solutions though.

Honestly though if you have the bandwidth at home, you can host one yourself most likely. Just make sure your system isn't too old. Any C2D or AMD Ahtlon X2 with 2-4GB of RAM should do nicely.
I have FIOS so it sounds like running my own box is the way to go. Unfortunately all I have around right now is a laptop and an old imac. I suppose this could be an excuse to put my Windows PC back together.

Vlad

Oh, and speaking of long falls...

This is my tower on Exano's server:

j73ii9.png

The inside of the tower actually stretches all the way to bedrock level, and with a nice little pool of water on the bottom, you can do this:

nvpsg9.gif

Ranger X

Vlad said:
Exactly this.

I haven't tested it, but I don't know if a long fall is survivable even with full armor. It's that knowledge of certain death (plus the potential loss of all your items) that comes from falling/monsters/lava/etc that really makes the game super-tense. That's why I'm really hoping that the beds don't reduce that. In theory, you could bring a bed along with you in a cave and sleep on it every so often to get a new respawn point.

Bringing a bed with you can be useful but you still need to craft yourself a nice confined and secure area to put it into or else you'll wake up by a mob hitting you.
The bed is actually a great addition. I love reaching it and skip the night. Having to go through the night when you have no use for it is tedious.

Vlad

Ranger X said:
Bringing a bed with you can be useful but you still need to craft yourself a nice confined and secure area to put it into or else you'll wake up by a mob hitting you.
The bed is actually a great addition. I love reaching it and skip the night. Having to go through the night when you have no use for it is tedious.

True, but wouldn't a confined and secure area just be a little box with some torches? You could throw that together from some cobblestone pretty quickly. Maybe a restriction like only being able to set a new spawnpoint every 10 in-game days or something, or requiring some material to set the spawnpoint (gold, etc). SOMETHING to make the process not completely free.

Ranger X

Vlad said:
True, but wouldn't a confined and secure area just be a little box with some torches? You could throw that together from some cobblestone pretty quickly. Maybe a restriction like only being able to set a new spawnpoint every 10 in-game days or something, or requiring some material to set the spawnpoint (gold, etc). SOMETHING to make the process not completely free.

Also, it doesn't set a spawnpoint. If you die, you always respawn at the original spawnpoint from the beginning of the game.
As for your condition suggestion, I can understand but I don't think it would make the game better. Just more tedious. Right now the player is the choice to either sleep or go through the night. Choice = more freedom and this is an open game. That's perfectly fine.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Vlad said:

j73ii9.png

The inside of the tower actually stretches all the way to bedrock level, and with a nice little pool of water on the bottom, you can do this:

nvpsg9.gif

This is awesome, I have a setup similar to this (sky to bedrock waterfall) from a really tall mountain I built a base on, but this is so much more detailed than anything I've done inside.

Vlad

Ranger X said:
Also, it doesn't set a spawnpoint. If you die, you always respawn at the original spawnpoint from the beginning of the game.
As for your condition suggestion, I can understand but I don't think it would make the game better. Just more tedious. Right now the player is the choice to either sleep or go through the night. Choice = more freedom and this is an open game. That's perfectly fine.

Ah, I see we weren't talking about the same thing. Whoops.

I was referring to when they eventually make beds able to set your spawnpoint, not how they function now. My worry is that it'll be too easy when exploring a cave or something to just plonk down a bed, encase it in stone and torches, and set a spawnpoint, taking a lot of the tension from the game upon death.

I'm fine with how they function at the current moment, I'm just speculating on the future.

Mik2121

Enco said:

Trying to join, but it keeps giving me a timed out error.

mollipen

CaptainAhab said:

I was going to say it's super-easy to just have a mod give you the grass tile, but then I realized that you're probably talking about single-player.

Man, going onto Timan's server makes me sad. It makes me sad because I don't have the patience to make all the crazy awesome stuff on there. That NeoGAF stadium is just nuts.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Vlad said:

j73ii9.png

nvpsg9.gif

That is simply all kinds of awesome. I love your tower and staircase. Is the sky island hollow with rooms inside of it? The only thing missing are trees and a small lake in your courtyard, with a waterfall going off the edge into the ocean. I tend to either build castle or medieval type buildings or just go all dwarven and settle underground. I need to expand my architecture styles some and experiment more.

Eccocid

Ranger X said:
Like yesterday evening from the Tree house. :p lol
Or was it GimmeCat?

I died so many times ...Ya know i built my treehouse without knowing that SHIFT walking trick when building stuff on air! lol i need a medal for it. Salmonboy showed it to me last night! haha i was like SHIIIIIT

Ranger X

Vlad said:
Ah, I see we weren't talking about the same thing. Whoops.

I was referring to when they eventually make beds able to set your spawnpoint, not how they function now. My worry is that it'll be too easy when exploring a cave or something to just plonk down a bed, encase it in stone and torches, and set a spawnpoint, taking a lot of the tension from the game upon death.

I'm fine with how they function at the current moment, I'm just speculating on the future.

Did Notch said anything like this about the beds?? That would sort of destroy the fun I have in single player right now wich is to belt an entire continent and making myself watch towers to know my way back if I respawn. IM even building a road between all my house to find my way back.

Eccocid said:
I died so many times ...Ya know i built my treehouse without knowing that SHIFT walking trick when building stuff on air! lol i need a medal for it. Salmonboy showed it to me last night! haha i was like SHIIIIIT

hahaha so awesome :p

Blizzard

Banned
Apparently Minecraft won 5 out of 6 awards it was nominated for at the GDC. :)

Also, approaching 5 million accounts and 1.5 million paid players.

Ranger X

I'm curious to know what is your fun about in single player. We all have sort of different goals and like to do different things, I think it's a cool subject to talk about a little. I know some of you are majorly playing in multi but then again, it would be cool to know you stories anyways. ;) Personally I generated an interesting world so far and decided to explore the continent I am on. I plan on going all around it and reaching my starting point again. Well, this is the goal until it would be too huge of a continent and that I would give up of course. :p

Right now I am building small houses and mining along the way, keeping a distance between each camp that roughly corresponds to the draw distance. I link my houses by roads too. (too much cobblestone to get rid of!)

Roads.png

I also build towers. What I call "econo towers" because they are the tightest you can make them without simply pilling up blocks. There's a water collumn in the middle so you can get down safely and faster.

EconoTowers.png

I always make them so you see the next tower when on top.

Viewpoint.png

Here's what my little houses generally look like. I like it simple and nice looking. I've been lucky enough so far and found a couple of spots with quite alot of clay...

House.png

:)

Sciz

Blizzard said:
Apparently Minecraft won 5 out of 6 awards it was nominated for at the GDC. :)

Also, approaching 5 million accounts and 1.5 million paid players.
It feels like just yesterday we were F5'ing furiously to catch the 200k milestone.

Kuran

Banned
Any ideas of the next changes that he is going to implement? I' really want him to be crunching on improving Minecraft in the near future. (Don't care what people think about that opinion, I'm not bothering Notch)

Minecraft just shows so much potential.. I can't believe it doesn't even have an implementation of rain!

Eccocid

Kuran said:
Any ideas of the next changes that he is going to implement? I' really want him to be crunching on improving Minecraft in the near future. (Don't care what people think about that opinion, I'm not bothering Notch)

Minecraft just shows so much potential.. I can't believe it doesn't even have an implementation of rain!

Yess dyanmic weather would be cool! Also i hope they add mroe ambient sound effects for forests etc..like sound of crickets at night...would be so moody!

Finally finished my cistern in East Point(Greek/Roman themed area) on Exano's Server! It's based of the Basilica Cistern.

Entrance:

0q2yh.png

Steps leading down:
a8zu7.png

I'll post pics of the inside later, but I recommend seeing it in person :D

EDIT:

Picture of NE East Point at night from Exano's Villa(Click for larger):

Exano

Neo Member
WolfofMebu said:
Finally finished my cistern in East Point(Greek/Roman themed area) on Exano's Server! It's based of the Basilica Cistern.

Entrance:
Steps leading down:

I'll post pics of the inside later, but I recommend seeing it in person :D

This is..epic.

Grinchy

Banned
Waking up to a mob that spawned over you is getting kind of annoying.

I also can't seem to get squids to spawn anywhere. I have gone to the old spot where I used to see them spawn, but nothing. I've gone in every direction from my spawn point and can't find any. Don't know what's up with that.

Other than that, I cannot stop playing this game. I randomly come back to it and there's always some new project in my old world that holds my interest for days.

Vlad

Mengy said:
That is simply all kinds of awesome. I love your tower and staircase. Is the sky island hollow with rooms inside of it? The only thing missing are trees and a small lake in your courtyard, with a waterfall going off the edge into the ocean.

Hah, funny that you mention that... on the other side of the tower:

23ifq7a.png

That whole thing is actually filled in with dirt (took a LOT of dirt!). It's not actually done yet. I'm planning on turning it into some sort of sky-garden thing, but I'm finding it's tricky to
make hills and lakes that look natural and not "man-made random", if that makes any sense.

Max said:
Vlad don't tell me you made that airborne island

If you're referring to the thing in the picture up there, then yup, that's all me. Only thing I didn't do personally is harvest every block of dirt used to fill it in. I stripped a few nearby hillsides bare, but a lot of the dirt was traded/donated to me from other people on the server.

Did Notch said anything like this about the beds?? That would sort of destroy the fun I have in single player right now wich is to belt an entire continent and making myself watch towers to know my way back if I respawn. IM even building a road between all my house to find my way back.

I could have sworn I saw a more direct source at some point, but this is the best I could find at the moment. So at least you see my concern with it now. Like I said, as long as there's some cost to making a bed a new spawn point then it should be ok, but if it's too easy to just make spawn points whenever you feel like it, that'll really take a lot away from the current feel of the game.

Blue_Gecko said:
I can't wait until craftbook works again. Vanilla minecraft is just way too lacking. It's like jumping back to 1955 from 2011.

Oh my goodness, yes. Every single thing in Craftbook should be part of vanilla MC, or at least have something of equivalent functionality. Thankfully, it looks like Notch isn't against incorporating mods into the game (like with BetterLight... too bad BetterGrass didn't make it in), so hopefully we'll be seeing some of the other really good mods become standard.

Grinchy said:
I also can't seem to get squids to spawn anywhere. I have gone to the old spot where I used to see them spawn, but nothing. I've gone in every direction from my spawn point and can't find any. Don't know what's up with that.

I've had good luck finding squid deep in large bodies of water. One thing to remember is that they make the "walking on dirt" sound when moving around, so that's something to listen for. Another neat trick is that whenever you hit F to toggle view distance, creatures are drawn first before the terrain. If you swim around above the surface during the day and repeatedly hit F, you can often see where squid are that way.

Ranger X said:
What is Craftbook?

http://craftbook.sk89q.com/wiki/Main_Page

It usually runs on Exano's server, but it's broken at the moment. Hopefully it'll be up in a few days. Just read through some of the stuff that's on there. Minecart controls, doors/bridges/gates, ICs (great if you're into redstone wiring), and a lot of other neat things. Using Craftbook, I've got a couple hidden doors in my tower that look just like part of the walls. You can only open them if you click on the exact right spot on the wall (hidden switch). I also built a gigantic creeper statue with Netherrack eyes. When night falls, the Netherrack ignites, making the eyes glow. Not to mention that Exano's railway system heavily relies on the Craftbook boosters/station blocks/cart dispensers.

Basically, it's all the neat stuff that hopefully MC will have eventually anyway.

Mik2121

animlboogy said:
Agreed. The recent post about adding dogs as pets has me excited, as well. Iterative development is a painful waiting game, but its also what keeps this game so exciting! One update we get beds. Music boxes. And eventually dogs.
Yup. This game has so much potential it's nuts. Textures are incredibly small (~16x16 pixels, compared to the usual 512x512 on basic stuff on PS3/360 or 1024 or even 2048x2048 on PC) and the objects barely have any polygons (a cow has around 40 polygons, that's less than what's used to make bushes in current gen games), so even if they were to add a 100 kind of mobs and objects, and 200 materials, data-size wise it would be way less than just one map for, say, Black Ops.

Top Bottom