• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

I play on Exano's Server under the user name Ninefingers, good sever, for the most part good people.

Heres some of the shit I've built, at north point on the server.

House:

nz1xyw.jpg

saw a something similar on another forum, liked it.

Heres my tower, I made the top to big...opps.

ei61qs.png

bengraven

Ranger X said:
Epic caves are awesome. Litterally like an underground city of mobs. I've been going through it for the whole day today and the whole evening yesterday. I am not done yet, not done at all because I am actually finding more galleries and corridors than ever right now. *cries*
:)

Man, on my single player server I have a cave so damn deep that I still haven't finished exploring it. I thought I had everything explored and built a giant castle on top of it, then one day noticed a little corridor around a corner. It opened up into ANOTHER giant cavern, of which I spent a lazy Sunday exploring for over 5 hours, still not finished. Exhausted, literally, and ready to just log off, I tried to find the surface and found myself on an island across a huge lagoon from my castle. I quickly built a nerd tower to show where it is, but have yet to go back and explore.

I'm terrified I'd find another giant cavern.

Ranger X

bengraven said:
Man, on my single player server I have a cave so damn deep that I still haven't finished exploring it. I thought I had everything explored and built a giant castle on top of it, then one day noticed a little corridor around a corner. It opened up into ANOTHER giant cavern, of which I spent a lazy Sunday exploring for over 5 hours, still not finished. Exhausted, literally, and ready to just log off, I tried to find the surface and found myself on an island across a huge lagoon from my castle. I quickly built a nerd tower to show where it is, but have yet to go back and explore.

I'm terrified I'd find another giant cavern.

Those caves are my biggest fun lately. I build houses right beside their entrances so I can get out to get more stuff if needed or drop stuff if I am full. At one point there was a cave so huge and complex I go lost for a while trying to get out. Now what I do is that I always put a cobblestone wall to bury the parts am I done exploring and simplify my way back / exploration. Anyhow, those caves are crazy!!

So, I've created a local server so that me and my little brother can play together. I've managed to get it running (on my mac, using terminal and all that joy) and can connect to it myself. The problem however is, that I can't destroy any blocks about 50-60% of the time. They'll disappear for a few seconds and then spawn right back, without dropping anything for me. Any indication on what may cause this?

Enco

Banzaiaap said:
So, I've created a local server so that me and my little brother can play together. I've managed to get it running (on my mac, using terminal and all that joy) and can connect to it myself. The problem however is, that I can't destroy any blocks about 50-60% of the time. They'll disappear for a few seconds and then spawn right back, without dropping anything for me. Any indication on what may cause this?
Make sure you've op'ed yourself.

Type in /op yourusername into the server interface/command place.

Wichu

Ranger X said:
Also, is there a way to check coordinates in the game? I could give you all the locations of my epic caves.

:)
Yup, press F3 to go into debug mode. Among other things, it displays your coordinates near the top-left of the screen. Also, we'll need to know your map seed.

Ranger X

Wichu said:
Yup, press F3 to go into debug mode. Among other things, it displays your coordinates near the top-left of the screen. Also, we'll need to know your map seed.

I see, thank you ;)
I will check for the seed later today and then give the coordinates for my super caves as well when I'll post it here.

I wish there was some sort of adventure creator that you could use with this. Build your own Zelda-esque world, dig out dungeons, place monsters and weapons, and then let players explore it with digging/crafting and jumping disabled (only stairs and ladders would let them climb).

Ranger X

Confidence Man said:
I wish there was some sort of adventure creator that you could use with this. Build your own Zelda-esque world, dig out dungeons, place monsters and weapons, and then let players explore it with digging/crafting and jumping disabled (only stairs and ladders would let them climb).

I'd love love it but no digging/crafting and jumping would make it boring. At least it would not be Minecraft anymore.

LFG

Neophyte
getting ready to buy this, quick question about multiplayer...

do i choose my player name on servers i join or is the account name i registered on minecrafts website the one i'm stuck with? thanks ^^

Giard

metamonk said:
getting ready to buy this, quick question about multiplayer...

do i choose my player name on servers i join or is the account name i registered on minecrafts website the one i'm stuck with? thanks ^^

The latter I believe.

Just poking around I found this, pretty close to what I wanted:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Adventure
Formerly Dungeons and Levers Mode, Adventure Mode is an upcoming game mode[1]. It will be similar to Survival, but players will not have the ability to destroy or place blocks, they will only be able to use items. The mode will become more of an adventure game, rather than a sandbox game.
Features

* Will have programmable tiles, such as doors, pressure plates, and levers.
* New mob types that will most likely attack. [citation needed]
* Items you can carry and use. These include potions, keys, and even teleportation stones.
* Ability to leave loot (and perhaps other things) for your comrades in your game, and have them pick it up in theirs. [citation needed]
* Importing maps from Survival mode or Creative mode.

Ecotic

I don't understand the appeal of this game and not knowing bothers me. I've sat and watched a guy play this game for hours and hours, but I still don't understand what's "fun" about it. The guy will sit there with pictures of architecture from famous movies (like Lord of the Rings) he wants to build, and he'll bust out his legos and make "rough drafts" out of them first.

So what's fun about the game is sort of like the enjoyable feeling you got as a kid building things out of your imagination with legos or K'nex?

Ranger X

So, for the explorators out there. You want to explore epic caves?
I have found 2 huge caves so far in my world. So big that you can spend multiple real life days to explore them completely. They all go to the bottom of the earth and there's a fair amount of all the game's materials in there. I also got multiple slimes in each caves.

Here the seed of my world: 3830599884698071860

And the coordinates for the caves:

Epic Cave 01
X = -42.30559
Y = 73.62000
Z = 226.85987

Epic Cave 02
X = -9.43516
Y = 70.62000
Z = 539.47574

And since we are at it, here are some nice world seeds anyways (most are like classics now but it's always good to repeat them for new players)

- gargamel (spawn in grotto - hard)
- torches (china wall lol)
- Glacier (epic cliffs)
- 404 (dig some gravel on a beach near spawn = fall at the bottom of the Earth)
- debug
- Minecraft (spawn in snow biome)

Ecotic said:
I don't understand the appeal of this game and not knowing bothers me. I've sat and watched a guy play this game for hours and hours, but I still don't understand what's "fun" about it. The guy will sit there with pictures of architecture from famous movies (like Lord of the Rings) he wants to build, and he'll bust out his legos and make "rough drafts" out of them first.

So what's fun about the game is sort of like the enjoyable feeling you got as a kid building things out of your imagination with legos or K'nex?

If you've watched hours and hours, you've ruined it for yourself a little, but it's basically about starting from nothing, and building yourself up from there. Discovering a random world around you, probably one no one else has seen (unless you're using the new seed feature, which you shouldn't to start with). Building, failing, learning, and building better. And when you think you've seen and done it all, a new idea strikes you, or a new feature is added to the game, in some cases forcing you to rethink many of the things you've done before.

Or others just see it as a very accessible way to build things in 3D, making architecture and images that appeal to them and their friends. It's just enough work that it's impressive to see something good planned out and pulled off, but it still has enough of the feeling of a game that it's not like just launching into an architecture program and slogging away. And of course there's the whole SMP aspect, whether you're building with friends, or trolling them.

Eccocid

Roche178 said:
Yeah I can't log in, at this rate I'll never find Ocean Town :(

Never give up!!!
When you first said OMG OCEAN TOWN i thought there is already town built under the ocean :( not some island network :(

Xun said:
Cinderella's Castle so far. Thoughts?

vdDn2.jpg

d30Hr.jpg

What the...
Are you going to make the whole Magic Kingdom.
If yes you are an awesome madman, you know that?

As a themepark fan I approve this project!

(If only I had more time to play minecraft :( Fuck you backlog and real life!)

Zomba13

I feel like getting back into minecraft and trying to make something really cool. Is there a GAF server about or not?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Zomba13 said:
I feel like getting back into minecraft and trying to make something really cool. Is there a GAF server about or not?
Read the OP, guys. It's awesome and has everything you need to know.

One of the reasons I love Minecraft is the ability to change your world, not just build on it. I just finished building a lake at East-Point in Exano's server. Click on the pictures for bigger versions.

Before:

During:

After:

Zomba13

Brazil said:
Read the OP, guys. It's awesome and has everything you need to know.
Yeah, I tried the gafland one but it didn't work that's why I was asking.

Just got back fromsome single player. Zombaland13 made a good place with a spawner and chests right by the spawn point. Put it on peaceful so I could gather supplies. Made a nice cave and got a bunch of stuff, surfaced, found a pumpkin patch, got a few of them then a weird sound effect played and then the screen went black and started Not Responding. Scared the shit out of me. Bunch of random sound effects scared me in the cave too. like Weird noises coming from a direction (not monster noises) but nothing being there.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Zomba13 said:
Yeah, I tried the gafland one but it didn't work that's why I was asking.

Just got back fromsome single player. Zombaland13 made a good place with a spawner and chests right by the spawn point. Put it on peaceful so I could gather supplies. Made a nice cave and got a bunch of stuff, surfaced, found a pumpkin patch, got a few of them then a weird sound effect played and then the screen went black and started Not Responding. Scared the shit out of me. Bunch of random sound effects scared me in the cave too. like Weird noises coming from a direction (not monster noises) but nothing being there.
Oh, THAT'S what was wrong with the address in the OP. Just fixed it.

Zomba13

Brazil said:
Oh, THAT'S what was wrong with the address in the OP. Just fixed it.
:D yup, working now.

And going back to my Zombaland it had auto saved just before I harvested the pumpkins so nothing was lost :D

Ranger X said:
So, for the explorators out there. You want to explore epic caves?
I have found 2 huge caves so far in my world. So big that you can spend multiple real life days to explore them completely. They all go to the bottom of the earth and there's a fair amount of all the game's materials in there. I also got multiple slimes in each caves.

Here the seed of my world: 3830599884698071860

And the coordinates for the caves:

Epic Cave 01
X = -42.30559
Y = 73.62000
Z = 226.85987

Epic Cave 02
X = -9.43516
Y = 70.62000
Z = 539.47574

I tried the first cave and, man, it's HUGE. The problem is that is too easy to fall in the entrance, but is a great dungeon. I'm now filling it with lights like Christmas.

VAIL

My treehouse is mostly done, very happy with how it came out..also the Jolicraft texture pack is just simply amazing.

R3E1B.jpg

Poor Rich

Neo Member
Made on the AssCraft server.

My club with dance floor, bar and washrooms.
2011-03-05_205837.png

2011-03-05_205942.png

2011-03-05_205948.png

2011-03-05_210033.png

My lava house.
2011-03-05_210135.png

2011-03-05_210209.png

My greenhouse.
2011-03-06_014120.png

2011-03-06_235020.png

City Views.
2011-03-06_235213.png

2011-03-07_001107.png

mandiller

Poor Rich said:
Made on the AssCraft server.
:Awesome pics:

That looks great! I'm delving back into Minecraft again after kicking the habit a few months ago. I'm getting addicted to it all over again now that multiplayer is reasonably stable and feature heavy.

The AssCraft server is great. I recommend others join it as well. Someone needs to complete Rape City.

itxaka

Defeatist
do you guys really mine all the blocks you use to do the constructions or do you use any console/mod to get them?

Sometimes I see those huge things and the only thing I can think of is the time it would cost me to mine all that material :(

It's a pain in the ass to mine everything, after a while it just gets a bit boring to mine all the time, and constructing is good but the blocks are used too fast!

itxaka said:
do you guys really mine all the blocks you use to do the constructions or do you use any console/mod to get them?

Sometimes I see those huge things and the only thing I can think of is the time it would cost me to mine all that material :(

It's a pain in the ass to mine everything, after a while it just gets a bit boring to mine all the time, and constructing is good but the blocks are used too fast!

On Exano's and Asscraft's servers you have to mine for all your resources and on Timan's server the materials are spawned for you.

I personally get bored with just building, and at the same time I get bored with only mining. I need both to keep me going, lol.

It can take awhile to complete a project with no spawning, took me several weeks to complete my cistern(Though since it involved hollowing out an area it would had taken awhile to do on a purely creative server too except I wouldn't of had to gather the resources for the picks). Removed well over 100,000 blocks while building it. I feel like the time and effort put into a project makes it all the better for me when it's finally finished too.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
I tried the first cave and, man, it's HUGE. The problem is that is too easy to fall in the entrance, but is a great dungeon. I'm now filling it with lights like Christmas.

I am not even done yet with "Epic Cave 2"!!
It's ridiculously huge. I feel it's starting to narrow down a bit but man, I must have like 25-30 hours in there exploring it so far...

VAIL

itxaka said:

Like it was said before I mine all my own stuff, I wouldn't feel the same sense of accomplishment if it was just there for me...

Ranger X said:
I am not even done yet with "Epic Cave 2"!!
It's ridiculously huge. I feel it's starting to narrow down a bit but man, I must have like 25-30 hours in there exploring it so far...

I checked it, it's a way to long to the bottom.

I plan to use Cave 1 as a mine. If I light it, and block the not-explored tunnels, it should be safe about mob spawning, isn't it?

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
I checked it, it's a way to long to the bottom.

I plan to use Cave 1 as a mine. If I light it, and block the not-explored tunnels, it should be safe about mob spawning, isn't it?

Just dig a bit or put some blocks around the walls going down. You don't even have to make you way all down, start at the first corridor down in the hole. It's maybe 10-15 blocks down from the surface, you will definetely see it.

Oh and yeah, anywhere that is well lit will prevent ennemies from spawning. :)

Giard

WolfofMebu said:
One of the reasons I love Minecraft is the ability to change your world, not just build on it. I just finished building a lake at East-Point in Exano's server. Click on the pictures for bigger versions.
During:

So THAT's where I fell when I was exploring close to Rome...lol
It was friggin dark, even during day! I had no idea what was going on there.

Grinchy

Banned
I decided to go exploring to see if I could find some good squid areas and to see if I could find some new caves (still no blue dye!). So I load up on food and equipment. I bring a bed with me so that I can just build a quick room and slap a bed down for night time.

First night: Went to bed in my small room, with torches everywhere I could fit them. I wake up in the dark, can't see, watching my health bar go down until I'm dead. Oh well, diamond swords grow on trees, right!

Blizzard

Banned
Grinchy said:
I decided to go exploring to see if I could find some good squid areas and to see if I could find some new caves (still no blue dye!). So I load up on food and equipment. I bring a bed with me so that I can just build a quick room and slap a bed down for night time.

First night: Went to bed in my small room, with torches everywhere I could fit them. I wake up in the dark, can't see, watching my health bar go down until I'm dead. Oh well, diamond swords grow on trees, right!
Did you meet hyper-intelligent spiders that have learned to eat torches?

Firehead

Grinchy said:
Sounds like that small room was a bit too small in height. You suffocated.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:

Interesting point of view. I sort of agree with Minecraft but this opinion does not work for most people.

The REAL point is that if other people are having a job of entertaining you and creating things for you, you should pay them to benefit what they create unless they decide to give it to you for free.

As soon as someone is playing a game and the minute he is entertained = he should have paid its creator for that. Creating isn't free, we need to support people investing their lives and time to fucking entertain us. They could totally not do it but they do. So we should god damn thank then. There's no other logic to it. So yeah, even with Minecraft, someone copying it and enjoying it = one lost sale and this regardless of any context in wich this happens (unless of course your buddy plays with you on your computer or something like that.)

Exano

Neo Member
For the mods on the survival server.

First up:

The major mods on the server are LWC (Lightweight Chest Protection) and Craftbook. We are also running "CreeperNerf", which disables terrain damage (99% of the time) but not player damage from creeper explosions. Monster Hunt which is currently not updated is also a part of the server, and will be returning shortly. We will also be adding achievements shortly (Hopefully) which will act just as stupid WoW-esque achievements, minus the rewards.

We are also adding H Spleef, for those familiar with the game. Looking for an Arena Builder to help us =D

The main commands you need to know are located in the list you get from typing /help.

They include:

/lwc
/lwc is a very useful command and allows a varity of different things with chests and furnaces. Typeing /lwc by itself will pull a help list of all the various functions, but here are the three most common:

/lwc -c Private allows for individual use of a chest or furnace, locking it from other players completely.

/lwc -c Public allows for public use of chests or furnaces, registering them to a user.

/lwc -c Private (Yourname) (Someone elses name) Allows for locking of chest while still allowing access to specific people

----
/msg (NAME) is a simple but effective tool to send private messages to players.
----
/compass Tells you which direction you are facing.
----
/who Tells you who is currently logged in to the server.
---

Craftbook:

Craftbook is an incredibly useful and powerful server mod, and most of the details can be found Here at the craftbook Wiki, but lets cover a few basic and important features:

#1) Gates

MoJ8Z.jpg

Gates are by far the most commonly used Craftbook addition. Gates are created by fencing a door or archway and making a sign with the word [Gate] on the second line. Gates can be hooked up to redstone and its various switches.

#2) Minecarts
Minecart transportation is overhauled with Craftbook. Gold blocks are boosters, soul sand for brakes. Also allows use of dispensers, collectors, and various useful utilities. In depth information for this is on the wiki.

#3) Bookshelves & Apples

Craftbook allows bookshelves to be read by right clicking them, as well as be reclaimed if they are destroyed. Leaves that are destroyed have a small percentage to drop an apple, an otherwise unobtainable object (Other than dungeons)
#4) IC's
IC's are a huge topic that cannot be covered in this post. Different numbers placed on signs make custom logic gates and programs that cannot be made any other way. An example would be the MC1230, which triggers power if it is day. This, combined with gates, could trigger a gate that shuts at night and opens during the daytime.
#5)Elevators
Elevators work the same way as gates. Second line of a sign type [Lift up] and then [Lift down] directly above it and you'll make an elevator. Right click the sign to go up or down.

----

Another useful bit if your going to play on the Survival server is to know your way around.
The Trains are very useful ways of getting around quickly, and the two main stations can be found near spawn by heading north towards the colored buildings.

Once your in the station, you'll be presented with a layout like this:
Qp4cs.jpg

All of the stations have somewhat different structure, but they all function identically.
All stations have boosters located on the wool, and minecart dispensers located on the
sand. All stations additionally have a flashing light indicating whether or not the station is operational. The main stations have these lights outside as well as inside.

I will be posting much more shortly! IF you need any help, /msg me or any of the blue guys in game!

Top Bottom