• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Grinchy

Banned
Ahhh, that makes sense. I am relatively happy with the spot I'm stuck with now, but that's very good to know for the future.

The weird thing is that when Ranger first made a portal in his basement, it took us to a spot in the Nether. Then, when I tried it by myself the next day, it took me to a different spot in the Nether (someone else's). Even though it was through the same basement portal from before! I built my own portal, and it kept taking me to spot #2, so I've just stuck with that.

My Nether tower has really started to come along. I've gotten very careful about my inventory!

Grinchy

Banned
It's still pretty early, but this is pretty far along for the Nether. My strange tower:

V4Iev.jpg

The view from inside.

5rGPj.png

ZZMitch

wait, I am confused. How does that tower work? Won't the ghasts destroy the glass? And why does it not look like glass in the first image?

fresquito

Mengy said:
Could this just be the same portal creation issue that plagues single player?

In my main offline world I have a half dozen portals to the nether in a huge travel network. One problem I had repeatedly was creating a new portal in the main world but instead of creating a new portal in the nether it would just link to an already existing portal in the nether. Which of course was not what I wanted. Through some experimenting (and tedious tile counting and orienteering) I eventually discovered the problem was that there was something wrong with the target location in the nether for the new portal (nothing but lava in the space, nothing but solid bloodstone, no flat open area at all, etc.). So since the game couldn't create a new portal, it simply linked to the closest existing one.

BUT, if I went into the nether and cleared the location where the portal SHOULD have been, or even built a safe flat area where I needed one to be, and then used my portal in the main world, sure enough a new correct portal was created in the nether right where it should have been.

I wonder if the nether portal issues you guys are having in SMP are due to the same thing? If so, some simple measuring and clearing or building should fix that right up...
It's not the same thing, that's for sure. I opened the first portal in my server. It was acting fine. Then a friend opened a new portal and mine stopped leading to the place it used to. It started leading me to the place where my friend's portal leads. So I destroyed his portal, but mine still led me there, and when I went out of the Nether it created a new portal in the real world, some 20 blocks away from the destroyed one.

So this is a different matter. Nether is fucked up right now.

Grinchy

Banned
ZZMitch said:
wait, I am confused. How does that tower work? Won't the ghasts destroy the glass? And why does it not look like glass in the first image?
The ghast damage was turned off just like the creeper damage, thank god. It would be impossible to build anything otherwise. I will have up to 4 of them shooting at once. It would destroy any property in minutes.

The first pic is from behind the tower. The inside picture is looking out into the cavern area.

ZZMitch

Grinchy said:
The ghast damage was turned off just like the creeper damage, thank god. It would be impossible to build anything otherwise. I will have up to 4 of them shooting at once. It would destroy any property in minutes.

The first pic is from behind the tower. The inside picture is looking out into the cavern area.

Ah alright thanks, it makes sense now.

Grinchy

Banned
I've noticed that If you /sethome in the Nether, and you are in the nether, typing /home will take you to your Nether location. If you are in the regular world, /home will take you to the homepoint you set there. So if you don't mind using /spawn as a portal between the Nether and the regular world, you can have 2 home points.

Vlad

Just in case anybody's curious, Jens has been tweeting about pistons all day. Apparently, they're in the game now (and look like this, although that isn't necessarily the final look). From the looks of it, the resources will be a lot less than the original version (stone/wood instead of six iron/gold per piston). He's planning on giving the sticky pistons a "reason" for being sticky. At this point the main suggestions seem to be to either have them craftable with slimeballs (yay!) or to make them spiky.

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
Just in case anybody's curious, Jens has been tweeting about pistons all day. Apparently, they're in the game now (and look like this, although that isn't necessarily the final look). From the looks of it, the resources will be a lot less than the original version (stone/wood instead of six iron/gold per piston). He's planning on giving the sticky pistons a "reason" for being sticky. At this point the main suggestions seem to be to either have them craftable with slimeballs (yay!) or to make them spiky.
They look cool. Much more Minecraft-y.

Ranger X

Ok, I modified the Community's Mob Grinder out of boredom tonight.

There's now one collecting room instead of 4 little pools. I guess it's pretty convenient. There's however 2 bugs that cannot be countered in anyways and one tks to 1.6.6...

1- Sometimes loot will be out of the tube by the walls when the monster dies.
2- Sometimes you might need to kill spiders stuck in the 4 little pools for full efficiency. (1.6.6)

PLEASE DON'T try to fix those problems. To not alter/modify the mob grinder. I tested everything and I know there's no fix without changing maybe the whole design --- wich I don't wanna change. Tks.

Don't know what got into me. I joined the NeoCraft server to help Tisan find an egg and ended up building a decked out house on an island. After playing creative for a few months, I guess it's a nice change to make everything again, instead of /give, lol.

Ranger X

I wonder what people will really want to do with pistons. Personally, it doesn't strike my imagination at all. Valves? moving catwalks?? maybe automated stairs?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Friend just got this for me today. After a day of messing around I'm really enjoying the game, makes me feel like I'm playing with legos again. :D

commissar

Ranger X said:
elevators? We probably speak of pistons that extend for one block long here...
Unless we can stack pistons. one block goes one block two blocks go two etc etc.

But yeah, unsure of what longer reaching purpose this could have due to the way block physics behave.
Unless it's a component to make vehicles :)

Mik2121

You know... I don't hate Notch. I used to like him quite a bit about a year ago. But the guy keeps talking about indie on his tweets and it's just tiring.

notch Markus Persson
Yep. E3 ended with a party at the Playboy Mansion. #indieashell

notch Markus Persson
Things are sooo hectic these days. I should hire an assistant that keeps track of what I'm supposed to do. That's indie, right?

etc...

Really. The people that keeps calling themselves indies (both in music and games) seem to do it just because they think it makes them cool. Why would some people think they are better than the people that's doing the same things as they are but everyday, (probably) more hours and surrounded with tens to hundreds of workmates that are doing the same and working for an even bigger goal than the indies?.

Mik2121

NBtoaster said:
I don't see the problem? They're just jokes. Hardly saying he's better than regular devs.
Oh no, no. The last comment wasn't related to him, sorry.

I know he doesn't consider himself better than regular devs. My only "issue" (not really an issue obviously, but it bothers me slightly when I see his tweets) is how he keeps talking about indie stuff. I guess it bothers me because a lot of people call themselves indies trying to sound cool, sorta like (yes, I'm going there..) the hipsters :p.

Oh well, never mind :p

Vlad

commissar said:
Unless we can stack pistons. one block goes one block two blocks go two etc etc.

But yeah, unsure of what longer reaching purpose this could have due to the way block physics behave.
Unless it's a component to make vehicles :)

Vehicles? Nah.

I'm more interested in their use to make more dynamic structures. If there's some way to easily chain the pistons together to make it possible to push blocks longer distances, then that will REALLY open up the possibilities.

That, and we'll finally have something that can control the flow of liquids.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mik2121 said:
Oh no, no. The last comment wasn't related to him, sorry.

I know he doesn't consider himself better than regular devs. My only "issue" (not really an issue obviously, but it bothers me slightly when I see his tweets) is how he keeps talking about indie stuff. I guess it bothers me because a lot of people call themselves indies trying to sound cool, sorta like (yes, I'm going there..) the hipsters :p.

Oh well, never mind :p

The way I see it: he is living the dream. He took a chance and broke out to do his own thing and the gamble paid off, and now he is enjoying himself immensely. I say good for him. He can brag and party all he wants to, he earned it. I have zero problem with it, and I wish I had the skills or the balls to do the same and be just as successful (lucky?) as he has been. I wish I could afford to leave my normal regular job and do something like he has...

Conceptor

Post E3 Notch update from his tumblr

Post E3 information dump!
Hi! E3 is over, and we’re flying back to Sweden in a few hours. I have loads of information and news to share, so here’s a rambling information dump:

* Minecraft fans are amazing. I spent a fair bit of time at E3 signing t-shirts and cardboard heads, trying to speak with as many fans as possible, and every single person was super friendly and nice.

* It looks like we need to change the release date for Minecraft to be able to get a good venue for MinecraftCon. 11/11/11 is fully booked. One week later, perhaps? I’ll post more details as soon as we’ve decided and booked a venue.

* Minecraft is coming to XBox 360. It will be a new version of the game, designed specifically for console play. We haven’t decided on a name yet. It will feature (but not require) Kinect support, and is being released “this winter”. It will be a 360 exclusive title.

* Minecraft is coming to Xperia PLAY. It will be a new version of the game, designed specifically for mobile play. This version is called “Minecraft - Pocket Edition”. It’s built as a native Android game, and will take full use of the Xperia PLAY controls. After some period of exclusivity, we will release it for all modern Android phones.

* On both these platforms, I’m going to be more secretive about giving out details. This is because there are actual PR budgets on them, and I don’t want to mess up any big plans.

* I will be the game designer on both new Minecraft titles, but I won’t be involved in the programming as I’m focused on the PC version of Minecraft.

* We are working on Minecraft Beta 1.7, which I’m referring to as the “adventure update”. We’re keeping the details secret so people can get surprises. The idea with this update is to flesh out the game a bit, making it reward exploration and combat more. Assuming we like them in play testing, pistons are coming in 1.7.

* I’ve now been to the Playboy Mansion! Woo! Not related to Minecraft at all, but I just wanted to share that. :D

* Speaking of not Minecraft related, I got to see the Skyrim demo (thanks, Tim), and it’s freaking amazing. While the dragons in the demo were obviously scripted (he knew exactly where they would land and such), they claim they’re fully dynamic and unscripted in the full game.

* We’re starting the modding support on a small scale with 1.7. We’ll be giving the source code out to a very VERY small group of people before the release of 1.7. We’ll use those experiences to work out the final details, then we’ll get the modding api out as soon as possible after 1.7 has been released.

* Again, if you weren’t ware, the “modding api” is the entire source code for Minecraft, uncensored and unobfuscated. You need to agree to certain terms to get access, though, but anyone can apply.

Blizzard

Banned
Cool information. The modding API thing...I guess allowing access to the full source code is the easiest solution from Mojang's perspective, but two things immediately come to mind:

1. People have already presumably been disassembling the Java stuff and reverse-engineering their own plugins and mods for ages, and
2. I feel bad for Notch, since I feel there's basically a 109% chance the entire source code will be posted on 12 different torrent sites within a month or two of allowing people access to it. I feel bad for Notch because he will probably feel betrayed by people who claimed to be fans or supporters, and because there will be nothing practically or legally he can do about it.

In the end, however, I doubt it will significantly hurt Minecraft sales unless everyone starts running pirate servers AND pirate clients.

Jasoco

Banned
I'm betting that Android version of MineCraft won't run on my Optimus V.

iPhone/iPad version please. An iPad version would be the bees knees if it could sync your worlds from your computer. Actually, all versions could benefit from world syncing.

If I'm running my own server, is there a way to give "limited" admin powers to some/all users? Currently I'm the only one with ops, but I'd like to at least give everyone access to the /list command. If I could selectively give certain users access to /time and /tp as well that would be nice.

Toki1776

Parallax Scroll said:
If I'm running my own server, is there a way to give "limited" admin powers to some/all users? Currently I'm the only one with ops, but I'd like to at least give everyone access to the /list command. If I could selectively give certain users access to /time and /tp as well that would be nice.

The only way I know of is to install Bukkit (or Canary, the offshoot of Hmod). With it, and the relevant plugins, you can set up groups and give permissions to groups and users.

Toki1776 said:
The only way I know of is to install Bukkit (or Canary, the offshoot of Hmod). With it, and the relevant plugins, you can set up groups and give permissions to groups and users.
Thanks. I'm not running bukkit right now (it's a Multiplay server), but I may look into that; I know they have at least limited bukkit support.

Ark said:
Wow, this week has been deathly quiet on the server.

Yeah, I just started playing again proper today and noticed there were no more than 2 or 3 people on most of the time and I didn't recognise many of the names. Hopefully it'll pick up again soon.

georgc

I'll be back on I logged in for like 1 min the otherday to see that I can't build my bridge in moria :( I had grand plans. I'll demolish it as soon as I can.

Ark

georgc said:
I'll be back on I logged in for like 1 min the otherday to see that I can't build my bridge in moria :( I had grand plans. I'll demolish it as soon as I can.

Yeah it doesn't really make sense, you could just build into the ceiling, no need for a bridge :p

There's like 30 layers of rock above Moria :p

Ranger X

Well, I guess the E3 slowed down things to a crawl.
Also, we'll need a new community project soon, I have a settlements in all the current ones. :p

Shanks

How do you get the chests to be private? I know you're supposed to place a sign on it saying private but they never seem to get placed ON the chest and people keep stealing my shit.

guest1321

Shanks said:
How do you get the chests to be private? I know you're supposed to place a sign on it saying private but they never seem to get placed ON the chest and people keep stealing my shit.
You need to be a citizen so if you are not then that would be the first thing to do. PM Ark for that(a couple posts up, and request citizenship).

If you already are a citizen then you need to place a sign on the blocks in front of the chest (there are only two so you can't really mess that up... :D ). On the sign you must write "[Private]" (minus the quotes). It will automatically attach itself to the box as well as place a your minecraft name on the second line. The third line is available for you to put whatever you want on, which is useful in organizing all of your stuff!

Ark

Ranger X said:
Well, I guess the E3 slowed down things to a crawl.
Also, we'll need a new community project soon, I have a settlements in all the current ones. :p

There's nothing stopping the community from organising a community project :p

Shanks said:

..You have to be a citizen. It does say that endlessly on the bulletins.

tabsina

guest1321 said:
You need to be a citizen so if you are not then that would be the first thing to do. PM Ark for that(a couple posts up, and request citizenship).

If you already are a citizen then you need to place a sign on the blocks in front of the chest (there are only two so you can't really mess that up... :D ). On the sign you must write "[Private]" (minus the quotes). It will automatically attach itself to the box as well as place a your minecraft name on the second line. The third line is available for you to put whatever you want on, which is useful in organizing all of your stuff!

Actually I believe you can do it as a peasant too (I haven't PMed Ark yet and I seem to be able to do the private chest thing in the same way)

EDIT: Ark, since you are here, mind adding me to the citizen list? :) tabsina is the username

Ark

tabsina said:
Actually I believe you can do it as a peasant too (I haven't PMed Ark yet and I seem to be able to do the private chest thing in the same way)

EDIT: Ark, since you are here, mind adding me to the citizen list? :) tabsina is the username

You shouldn't be able to. I fixed the bug in the permissions that was allowing for peasants to use lava, fire & lock chests.

I've added you now btw :)

Any redstone wizards?

I have a mineshaft that is a 2 wide staircase going to the bedrock. At ground level I want to cover the opening (its like 5x2) with hatches and tie all hatches to one switch so that all ten hatches pop at the same time.

This is an mspaint picture I made of it:

http://i.imgur.com/voUor.png

I'd take screenshots but I'm at work right now.

The most complex redstone thing I have built so far is a double door that opens with one switch... but that was copied from a YT vid, I really don't understand what I built.

Anyone have any tips/links to good redstone tutorials?

Toki1776

^^^
All you'd need to do is run wires along the tops of the blocks labeled "A" in your drawing, then connect those lines to your switch. Also keep in mind that wires only carry current up to 15 blocks, so use a redstone repeater to extend the signal if you need to.

Toki1776 said:
^^^
All you'd need to do is run wires along the tops of the blocks labeled "A" in your drawing, then connect those lines to your switch. Also keep in mind that wires only carry current up to 15 blocks, so use a redstone repeater to extend the signal if you need to.

I'm trying to hide the wiring, I have a pretty big cavern dug out around that diagram to fit the wiring/etc. I'll go with the wiring on top if thats my only option, but hidden is preferable.

*edit*

This vid is very similar to what I want to do. He runs his wiring up to torches below the blocks connected to the hatch. Doing it that way means I will see the torches as I go down my stairs into the mine. Is there any way to make something like this but w/o the torches? Can I just run power to the side of the block connected to the hatch?

This shit boggles my mind, wish I could understand it all better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lScbJcb_25s&t=1m28s

Found a few more vids on YT, they are all using the torch under the hatch method. I guess I'll just do without an awesome covered mine until there is a legit way to hide the wires.

*edit 2*

After reading some wiki on redstone, I found this:

"A block receiving output directly from a repeater will then propagate the charge (in the same way as when placed over a redstone torch)"

So I have a 2x5 hole with 10 hatches total covering it. Maybe if I run repeaters hanging off each block that is attached to the hatch it will work? I'll give it a shot when I get home in the AM.

Top Bottom