• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

Therion said:
Notch And Todd Howard: The One-On-One Interview has a little bit about future Minecraft updates for those interested. The conversation ranges over a bunch of topics though, so don't expect it to all be about this game.

This really should be it's own thread.

Howard & Notch really are two amazing people. It's always great to see developers playing each others games, and openly talking and praising each other & other developers for their games too.

EDIT:

I know I was away from Minecraft for practically all of last week, but I think most people were since it was E3. I wont be online much, if at all this week either, simply because I decided to take a break from Minecraft and should return next week.

I've come up with a list of ideas and such that I want some opinions on, I'll more than likely get that done this weekend. The server's been pretty stagnant for the last few weeks. It's as if as soon as I upgraded to 17 players and the RAM, everyone disappeared. Obviously I understand that it's summer, I've been through the 'summer effect' far too many times (Any WoW players will understand me here), but yeah, I want to get things rolling on again.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
y2oH7.jpg

Behold.... DOGHOLE™

Who's a good boy? You are! Yes you are! *mmmwha!*

Considering making him a water bowl... if he's good.

Jasoco

Banned
Awesome Animals said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJr86d2IUo

I know I'm not to active and pretty much just lurk, but here is a preview of
pistons
for 1.7.

:)
Oh shit. That is awesome.

I want to see more of the
sticky pistons
, like will minecarts on top of them remain on top of them? And if they're powered tracks, will they remain powered or gain power when raised or lowered to a source? I can't wait to play with them! I am definitely starting yet another new world when this comes out.

Also, the magically appearing door at 2:40 was indeed awesome. You know a lot of people will be making that when it comes out.

But I noticed that the
piston
no longer shoots blocks into the air. Like the sand or gravel. It doesn't get launched anymore, so does that mean no more elevators?

Also, the water gate was genius. I bet it works for lava too. OMG, lava traps.

Edit: Wait, are we spoiling
pistons
? I thought they were well known by now.

mcrae

Jasoco said:

sticky pistons
, like will minecarts on top of them remain on top of them? And if they're powered tracks, will they remain powered or gain power when raised or lowered to a source? I can't wait to play with them! I am definitely starting yet another new world when this comes out.

Also, the magically appearing door at 2:40 was indeed awesome. You know a lot of people will be making that when it comes out.

But I noticed that the
piston
no longer shoots blocks into the air. Like the sand or gravel. It doesn't get launched anymore, so does that mean no more elevators?

pistons

the water gate was genius, but the door was merely awesome? lol... the door was genius, and the water gate was dull and boring
regardless of the implications it has for automatic farm gathering

the piston mod launched blocks, but the minecraft devs dont want the official version to, so it wont be. afaik. but if you're able to stack pistons on top o each other, then you can make elevators that way

gamelova

Jasoco said:

sticky pistons

But I noticed that the
piston

pistons

If my drawing isn't just crazy nonsense by tomorrow morning then escalators should be possible with a lot of repeaters.

EskimoJoe said:
Anyone have some sort of nifty summary of everything minecraft related said in this video? I just wanna know what Notch plans to add.

He was talking about adventure mode, mentioned some fetch quests and also having some artifacts hidden in the world for you to find.

Other than that I didn't notice any other huge news.

Jasoco

Banned
mcrae said:
the piston mod launched blocks, but the minecraft devs dont want the official version to, so it wont be. afaik. but if you're able to stack pistons on top o each other, then you can make elevators that way
The question is if the pistons will transfer power to the next one if you stack them. I plan on trying to make a drawbridge that consists of 5 pistons under the ground horizontally that push out wood or something, then some from the other side that push it back in if it's possible.

I still think they should make them launch. That could have so many awesome ideas. Like the
Faith Plates
from Portal 2.

commissar

Jasoco said:
The question is if the pistons will transfer power to the next one if you stack them. I plan on trying to make a drawbridge that consists of 5 pistons under the ground horizontally that push out wood or something, then some from the other side that push it back in if it's possible.

I still think they should make them launch. That could have so many awesome ideas. Like the
Faith Plates
from Portal 2.
Why not use sticky pistons to draw it back in?

Man that door was awesome. Hope pistons can push other pistons at the very least. And can move entity blocks as long as they are on other blocks.

mcrae

Jasoco said:

Faith Plates
from Portal 2.

personally i dont expect them to transfer power to each other, wouldnt make much sense i dont think. but if you had say a tower of 5 pistons on top of each other, right beside a tower of redstone torches that transfer the power horizontally, wouldnt that work?

I tried building a slime spawning room, it isn't working. It's 9x15 and 7 high and well lit. It is on level 6 so its just above the bedrock level.

I left it running for about an hour and haven't seen a slime yet.

webrunner

mcrae said:
the water gate was genius, but the door was merely awesome? lol... the door was genius, and the water gate was dull and boring
regardless of the implications it has for automatic farm gathering

Just a note about elevators: people weren't sure if
pistons could move pistons
but if you look closely at the crazy door then you see it happening.

nismogrendel said:
I tried building a slime spawning room, it isn't working. It's 9x15 and 7 high and well lit. It is on level 6 so its just above the bedrock level.

I left it running for about an hour and haven't seen a slime yet.
You're more likely to find a unicorn than a slime. I've played plenty of (sp) MC and I've never seen one.

It's weird, I can't find a single slime in my SP world, but on Ark's server I've got about 15 slime balls.

Incidentally, I was thinking about more community projects on NeoCraft, how does a large circular iron age-esque hill fort sound? Find a grassy plain, build up a wide and flat circular hill, place a palisade wall along the circumference with a gate house and a deep moat. The buildings would be a mixture of stone and wood, 2 or 3 story closely-knit town houses, maybe with a big stone castle or cathedral in the centre. If we built the building in the centre first it'd be easy to spread the houses out from it in a proper ordered pattern along roads.

bengraven

Be kind of cool to have a 2 block deep water pool in front of a gate with pistons down below. You flip the switch and the pistons rise to make a bridge. Get to the other side, hit the switch, the pistons lower and the water goes back on top. The water on top of the pistons would be 1x of course and the water on the sides 2x so it would refill it.

Vlad

ChoklitReign said:
You're more likely to find a unicorn than a slime. I've played plenty of (sp) MC and I've never seen one.

I'm guessing that the slime spawn rates will be tweaked a little bit in 1.7, so people will have a reasonable chance of finding them.

Anyone else having problems connecting to minecraft.net? I got some popup while playing offline that says I'm unlicensed or logged in from another location.

Ark

Bootaaay said:
It's weird, I can't find a single slime in my SP world, but on Ark's server I've got about 15 slime balls.

Incidentally, I was thinking about more community projects on NeoCraft, how does a large circular iron age-esque hill fort sound? Find a grassy plain, build up a wide and flat circular hill, place a palisade wall along the circumference with a gate house and a deep moat. The buildings would be a mixture of stone and wood, 2 or 3 story closely-knit town houses, maybe with a big stone castle or cathedral in the centre. If we built the building in the centre first it'd be easy to spread the houses out from it in a proper ordered pattern along roads.

That sounds great :) I'm certainly up for building a fort. I love medieval settings.

bengraven said:
Be kind of cool to have a 2 block deep water pool in front of a gate with pistons down below. You flip the switch and the pistons rise to make a bridge. Get to the other side, hit the switch, the pistons lower and the water goes back on top. The water on top of the pistons would be 1x of course and the water on the sides 2x so it would refill it.

If we could build a moat around the fort & make a proper drawbridge with pistons, that would be amazing.

bengraven

Ark said:
That sounds great :) I'm certainly up for building a fort. I love medieval settings.

If we could build a moat around the fort & make a proper drawbridge with pistons, that would be amazing.

I think it could happen, we'll just need a dry area underneath for the red stone.

I wish red stone was water resistant. :(

Also, went up walls...

lol, sorry for spoilering pistons. I don't post often in this thread, and don't keep up with proper lurking (I do have it subscribed though!). I also lurk r/Minecraft, which is where I saw this, and I do know there was some movement for 1.7 to be a surprise. I figured better safe than sorry here. :)

1.7 may get me playing Minecraft again, although probably mostly SP. Honestly, I love this game, but I love watching what others create more. I'm sure I'm not alone. I've been brainstorming a few ideas with pistons.

1. Elevators, I have a few ideas on how to make an elevator work, and I will definitely experiment. Since sticky pistons stack, you could have a great amount underneath, and when you hit the switch, they all shoot up. I don't know if that is a great write-up to instill imagery, but I don't have time to make it more effective. :/
  2. AT-ST, or an AT-AT. Using pistons to serve as legs could be a pretty cool, although most likely impractical, vehicle.
  3. Conveyor belt, like the last portion of the video to send chests of items through a conveyor system, from your mining shaft to your base of operations. I think it would be pretty neat.

Thoughts? I'll try to be more explanatory on any vague ideas if I can, but I think any of these would be cool, or useful. :)

Ranger X

Awesome Animals said:
Yes, but a chest atop a sand/cobble/dirt block can be

Nope, the block under them will move and the chest/furnace will stay there in the air. As any video showed to possibly of pushing piled blocks? I don't remember that.

Ranger X said:
Nope, the block under them will move and the chest/furnace will stay there in the air. As any video showed to possibly of pushing piled blocks? I don't remember that.

Well, what about pushing a vertical sticky piston holding a chest?

onken

Been busy lately so haven't been on, just connected now and the server was empty :( :( What happened to the Nether update? Can we do that now in Neocraft?

Ranger X

Awesome Animals said:
Well, what about pushing a vertical sticky piston holding a chest?

Vertically you probably can push more than one blocks so yeah, you could push a furnace with the piston if it's vertical. What I wonder is if it's at all possible to push multiple blocks horizontally.

Ranger X said:
Vertically you probably can push more than one blocks so yeah, you could push a furnace with the piston if it's vertical. What I wonder is if it's at all possible to push multiple blocks horizontally.

Well, with a system engineered properly you may not need to. just have it set-up so the pieces are already being pushed forward by the next piston before the next block is placed. IDK, we would probably need to play around with it a bit.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow that conveyor belt is an awesome idea. Is Neocraft offline? I can't seem to log in.

onken said:
Been busy lately so haven't been on, just connected now and the server was empty :( :( What happened to the Nether update? Can we do that now in Neocraft?
Yeah, the Nether definitely works now. Come build in it! I've been working on making walkways that connect to my place, which will extend to other building sites.

beAcz.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
Ugh, making the redstone timing for that seems like it'd be a massive pain.
It would be, and it'd also be useless. Because where would the infinite supply of blocks come from? No where. You'd only have a 64 block at most string of blocks before it ran out. And it would only work with sand or gravel because none of the other blocks would have gravity. It's a nice look, but a useless concept.

Jasoco said:
It would be, and it'd also be useless. Because where would the infinite supply of blocks come from? No where. You'd only have a 64 block at most string of blocks before it ran out. And it would only work with sand or gravel because none of the other blocks would have gravity. It's a nice look, but a useless concept.

You call it useless invention, I call it art!

mcrae

Jasoco said:

what do you mean the others would have gravity? im pretty sure regular blocks would work there

Here is a pic of what I'm currently working on in the server:

h9RiB.png

Have spent a lot more time increasing the size of the desert versus actually building the structure.

Rw1Ss.jpg

9fRR5.jpg

7NWC0.png

qMls0.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
mcrae said:
what do you mean the others would have gravity? im pretty sure regular blocks would work there
And just where will those blocks be coming from in the first place? The machine still needs to be fed. And the only blocks that can feed it are gravel and sand. Because they're the only ones that are affected by gravity. And you would only be able to have a stack 60 blocks high. (Or 120 if you build at the world base.) And then you'd need to feed it by stacking 60-120 of those blocks in a vertical tower. Plus where would the blocks even be heading?

It would be faster to carry the blocks to their destination.

WolfofMebu said:
Here is a pic of what I'm currently working on in the server:

http://i.imgur.com/h9RiB.png

Have spent a lot more time increasing the size of the desert versus actually building the structure.

http://i.imgur.com/Rw1Ss.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9fRR5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7NWC0.png

http://i.imgur.com/qMls0.jpg

Dude nice!

A couple days ago I was just wandering around the map looking for roses and clay and I just stumbled upon that structure, it was awesome to just come across that.

Jasoco said:
And just where will those blocks be coming from in the first place? The machine still needs to be fed. And the only blocks that can feed it are gravel and sand. Because they're the only ones that are affected by gravity. And you would only be able to have a stack 60 blocks high. (Or 120 if you build at the world base.) And then you'd need to feed it by stacking 60-120 of those blocks in a vertical tower. Plus where would the blocks even be heading?

It would be faster to carry the blocks to their destination.

What if it leads to a lava pit?

Mik2121

Jasoco said:
Why would that be useful?
Move blocks of water and blocks of lava, have them drop into the same place and create infinite cobblestone blocks. Then have another piston that crushes the blocks against some other wall or piston so that you don't even need to mine it!. Perhaps you could do something similar with source water and source lava to make the purple blocks (forgot the name now, arghh).

I built the south gatehouse for my fort today, just waiting for the piston mod so I can make it work.

Some pics: I resized them, hope it doesnt mess up anyones margins.

1) Gate closed (spiders can probably crawl through the gap but it will keep creepers out.

pUvON.jpg

2) Gate open, blocks retract into roof and floor.

xOZIB.jpg

3) Good view of the gatehouse. I removed a few chests full of dirt shaping this area.

EwBX6.jpg

Got some full size pics here:

http://nismogrendel.imgur.com/south_gate#6Leqz

A pic of the fort from mcmap:

yRFvf.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Move blocks of water and blocks of lava, have them drop into the same place and create infinite cobblestone blocks. Then have another piston that crushes the blocks against some other wall or piston so that you don't even need to mine it!. Perhaps you could do something similar with source water and source lava to make the purple blocks (forgot the name now, arghh).
It probably won't move water or lava the way you think it will. And even if it did, it wouldn't pour into a hole and fill it up.

As you can see from the video. When a piston expands into water, it deletes the water from that area. It does not push it to the side.

Top Bottom