• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I want to play online with you guys. What server do I join?

Facism

how's the dwarf city coming? I don't have minecraft but i check in to see pics of all the things you guys are doing :)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ark said:
Well most people play on NeoCraft (PonyCraft in the OP) from GAF, you're free to join at any time :)
So when I checked the multiplayer menu it looked it was just IP based. Is there a server list?
The IP wasn't in the OP last I checked. I haven't fiddled with the MP menu at all, if I just go to it with neocraft in mind I won't miss it?

Jtwo said:
So when I checked the multiplayer menu it looked it was just IP based. Is there a server list?
The IP wasn't in the OP last I checked. I haven't fiddled with the MP menu at all, if I just go to it with neocraft in mind I won't miss it?
You gotta quote the OP, you'll see the address in the textbox. =) It's hidden from lurkers.

Ark

Jtwo said:

There's no server list as of yet, although Notch said that he plans to implement one. So you'll have to input the IP.

bengraven

Ark said:
Hopefully that doesn't happen to me, I'm sort of dead-centre between Al-Medina, Moria & Spawn.

And if it's beneath your castle, you're near me. Just don't mine under the sea between spawn and your castle. ;) just kidding, do what you want. ha

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ark said:
There's no server list as of yet, although Notch said that he plans to implement one. So you'll have to input the IP.
Then whats the IP? Have you posted it already? I didn't see it, and it's not in the OP.

Vlad

Surprised nobody else has commented on this yet. I guess I'm the only one who keeps an eye on Jeb's twitter.

First thing of note... after having been taken off MC development to work on the portable version:

Jeb's twitter said:
Aron says Pocket Edition dev is more "relaxed" now. In other words, I'm back on Minecraft again =)

So that means that work will get done even while Notch is at E3! Even better news:

Jeb's twitter said:
Heh ok... Time for the piston mod. It's incredible how much more dull something is when there's little room left for my own creativity

Been waiting for this for a LONG time. I'm not 100 percent wild about the current implementation of the mod version (the way they react to redstone is a little wonky), but having these as an official part of Minecraft should really add a ton new contraptions to build.

Also of note:
Jeb's twitter said:
Added Minecraft shears. Has uses on sheep, leaves, tnt and a fourth thing, which will remain secret for now.

Apparently the only way to get multiple blocks of wool from sheep will be to use the shears. It won't harm the sheep, and the wool will re-grow. Killing a sheep will still drop a single block, though. Leaves are self-explanatory, and supposedly the shears will defuse TNT.

And speaking of animals:

Jeb's twitter said:
All animals will be more persistent "soon," so re-growth of wool will be necessary

Also sounds good. Maybe it will allow for more proper farms!

Thing is, there won't be ANY patches until after Notch gets back from E3, but it's nice to know at least some of what's being worked on.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa that quote thing is weird but it makes sense.

BooJoh

Vlad said:
Apparently the only way to get multiple blocks of wool from sheep will be to use the shears. It won't harm the sheep, and the wool will re-grow. Killing a sheep will still drop a single block, though. Leaves are self-explanatory, and supposedly the shears will defuse TNT.
Not sure how I feel about shears. Sounds like an extra unnecessary tool floating around in my inventory which I'm guessing will require iron and break. Kind of "fixes" something that wasn't really broken. Although if I can dye a sheep blue, sheer off the blue wool, and have it regrow blue wool, that would be fun.

Everything else sounds good.

Vlad

BooJoh said:
Not sure how I feel about shears. Sounds like an extra unnecessary tool floating around in my inventory which I'm guessing will require iron and break. Kind of "fixes" something that wasn't really broken. Although if I can dye a sheep blue, sheer off the blue wool, and have it regrow blue wool, that would be fun.

Everything else sounds good.

Well, with the "more persistent" animals, it could be interesting. If animals can remain around like wolves do, then you could keep a sheep of each color around.

Yeah, it's an extra tool, but you could really just treat it like a hoe. It's not like you've got to always walk around with one of those in your inventory, you just grab one when you need it.

It's even more of a non-issue with all the new shift-click functionality for inventory management (one of my favorite recent additions), since it's so fast to move stuff around now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Vlad said:
Well, with the "more persistent" animals, it could be interesting. If animals can remain around like wolves do, then you could keep a sheep of each color around.

Yeah, it's an extra tool, but you could really just treat it like a hoe. It's not like you've got to always walk around with one of those in your inventory, you just grab one when you need it.

It's even more of a non-issue with all the new shift-click functionality for inventory management (one of my favorite recent additions), since it's so fast to move stuff around now.

What.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Had a great time playing on the Neocraft server tonight!

Some of the stuff there was pretty mind blowing. Anyway, it's way more fun with the social aspect. This game is the best.

Finished my giant pit in my base. 31x31 circle goes from the level of my base (like floor 70 or 80 I think) down to floor 7. I originally hollowed it out to build a giant reactor of some sort, but now I'm thinking an ICBM would be cool.

It is so crazy how much time I can lose to this game. I'll put a show on netflix and start playing, next thing I know I've watched half a season, gone through a few diamond picks and it's bedtime.

Ark

Mik2121 said:
What!? I'm jumping in right now! :p

Yeah Mik, maybe if you actually hopped on and played every once in a while :p

Vlad said:

It's great to know that Jeb is back on Minecraft and working on the piston mod. I can't wait for 'persistant' animals, creating a stables to house different coloured sheep, cows, etc will be great fun :)

Vlad

Hawkian said:

Yeah, it's been in for a few patches now.

With a chest opened, shift-click moves items automatically from inventory to the chest and vice versa.

In a furnace, it'll move finished items automatically to inventory.

In a crafting window, it'll move finished items automatically to inventory.

With regular inventory open, shift-clicking moves items to and from the hotbar.

Basically, it's completely awesome and makes inventory management a LOT simpler.

Toki1776

pTBNw.jpg

Good news, everyone!
There's a new version of the mapping program (tectonicus) I use for Neocraft, which allows for day, night, and cave maps, all in one link! Here's the new link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22083707/Layerneo/neolayer.html

Bookmark it; I update the map often, though the link never changes.

(also note that this version is a little buggy; you can't click on any icon to the left of spawn, for example. I expect that to be worked out soon, though.)

*edit: damn typo...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Toki1776 said:
pTBNw.jpg

Good news, everyone!
There's a new version of the mapping program (tectonicus) I use for Neocraft, which allows for day, night, and cave maps, all in one link! Here's the new link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22083707/Layerneo/neolayer.html

Bookmark it; I update the map often, though the link never changes.

(also note that this version is a little buggy; you can't click on any icon to the left of spawn, for example. I expect that to be worked out soon, though.)

*edit: damn typo...

Very nice Toki! Much more handy than the old map.

What's the deal with MCAdmin? I haven't hosted a server in a long while, but I was going to start my old map up again and work on a few things...

I found my old MCAdmin files that I've had since sometime last year and started it up. I expected a bunch of updates, but nope. I got, "MCAdmin already up to date!", immediately followed by, "Unable to connect to the remote server". I checked the website and it's gone. I can't find any info if it got renamed or discontinued.

If it is gone for good... Are there any other good 3rd party hosting programs? Notch's server program always gives me more problems than it's worth dealing with.

I've looked at the wiki for custom servers, but can't find any links on their websites on where to download their shit. And Minecraftforums seems to be eerily vacant of info on these programs.

peull

Hey, I'm searching for a great hosting service provider for my server. Must be fast, sql-compatible, ftp compatible and affordable... Anyone knows a good one?

I use hostedgameservers right now but they do not support sql. I know of minecraftON but the comsumer support is terrible, they havent answered my support ticket for 2 weeks.

Ranger X

Are you on Neocraft? If yes, always lock your chest.
You simply need to put a sign in front of them with this on it:

[private]
[your minecraft name without the brackets]

Grinchy

Banned
Hey Gabman, sorry but apparently something happened to your house. It was flowing lava almost over to my deck, so I put some blocks in the grass to stop it. I didn't touch it otherwise.

pB0ur.png

Also, I'm building Nether "tower." I was hoping the location I picked wasn't in anyone's way (there really didn't seem to be much of anything built there yet). Side note, I've died 3 times already by falling into lava from ghasts and lost all of my inventory. Building in the Nether is difficult.

Also another side note, if you just type [Private] in the first sign line, it will fill your name in automatically. I use the last line to type in what's in the box.

Grinchy

Banned
Come build in the Nether! It seems like a bunch of different portals are just putting us at the same point anyway. Might as well build there.

It's probably similar to building Moria except the mobs in the Nether are a bitch. Get used to seeing this every 5 seconds if you build in a big, open area:

vdyhI.png

I think I'm on my 6th death from trying to build something. I eventually want to connect the huge open area with some kind of bridges or something. It's a huge cavernous area that I'm in.

Ranger X

Ghasts are really a pain in the ass. I don't really feel like building there. :/
Is their environemental damage turned off at least like the creepers?

Grinchy

Banned
It has been turned off, apparently. Which is good. It would be impossible to get anything substantial built otherwise. I had 4 ghasts in the chamber where I was building. At one point, all 4 were spitting that shit at me.

Really though, this new challenge is exactly what I needed to get back into MC.

Mengy

Grinchy said:
Hey Gabman, sorry but apparently something happened to your house. It was flowing lava almost over to my deck, so I put some blocks in the grass to stop it. I didn't touch it otherwise.

So, was his house griefed? Chests being robbed and taken, houses becoming lava flows, and yesterday I found that someone had smashed a few pieces of glass on several levels of my sand tower and replaced them with dirt. Do we have someone on the server being a bit mischievous?

On the nether, I haven't even been to the nether yet on Neocraft. I think tonight I'm going to do just that.

fresquito

Grinchy said:
Come build in the Nether! It seems like a bunch of different portals are just putting us at the same point anyway. Might as well build there.
This happened in my server too. It's really annoying, since now we cannot build a portal net in the Nether to connect our places in the "real world".

Mengy

Grinchy said:
Come build in the Nether! It seems like a bunch of different portals are just putting us at the same point anyway.

Could this just be the same portal creation issue that plagues single player?

In my main offline world I have a half dozen portals to the nether in a huge travel network. One problem I had repeatedly was creating a new portal in the main world but instead of creating a new portal in the nether it would just link to an already existing portal in the nether. Which of course was not what I wanted. Through some experimenting (and tedious tile counting and orienteering) I eventually discovered the problem was that there was something wrong with the target location in the nether for the new portal (nothing but lava in the space, nothing but solid bloodstone, no flat open area at all, etc.). So since the game couldn't create a new portal, it simply linked to the closest existing one.

BUT, if I went into the nether and cleared the location where the portal SHOULD have been, or even built a safe flat area where I needed one to be, and then used my portal in the main world, sure enough a new correct portal was created in the nether right where it should have been.

I wonder if the nether portal issues you guys are having in SMP are due to the same thing? If so, some simple measuring and clearing or building should fix that right up...

Grinchy

Banned
Mengy said:
Could this just be the same portal creation issue that plagues single player?

In my main offline world I have a half dozen portals to the nether in a huge travel network. One problem I had repeatedly was creating a new portal in the main world but instead of creating a new portal in the nether it would just link to an already existing portal in the nether. Which of course was not what I wanted. Through some experimenting (and tedious tile counting and orienteering) I eventually discovered the problem was that there was something wrong with the target location in the nether for the new portal (nothing but lava in the space, nothing but solid bloodstone, no flat open area at all, etc.). So since the game couldn't create a new portal, it simply linked to the closest existing one.

BUT, if I went into the nether and cleared the location where the portal SHOULD have been, or even built a safe flat area where I needed one to be, and then used my portal in the main world, sure enough a new correct portal was created in the nether right where it should have been.

I wonder if the nether portal issues you guys are having in SMP are due to the same thing? If so, some simple measuring and clearing or building should fix that right up...
So how did you know where the new location should have been? And you're saying I could just create an area that would be safe for a portal and it'll make that a possible new location?

So that would mean it has nothing to do with where the entrance portal is built, which makes sense since people's far apart portals were going to the same place.

Mengy

Grinchy said:
So how did you know where the new location should have been? And you're saying I could just create an area that would be safe for a portal and it'll make that a possible new location?

So that would mean it has nothing to do with where the entrance portal is built, which makes sense since people's far apart portals were going to the same place.

Well, for every 16 blocks of travel in the overworld you only move 1 block in the nether, and vice versa. So as long as you have one set of stable portals (one in the overworld and one in the nether) that are positionally correct, you can use them as an origin point for measuring out other portals. I used F3 extensively for doing this.

Something else I found, the Y location of the portal (height from the bedrock layer) didn't seem to matter. A portal in a cave at bedrock in the overworld would happily create a portal on top of a plateau in the nether close to the ceiling. Only the X and Z coordinates on the F3 view seemed to matter.

For example, say you have a portal in the world created at 0,0, and consequently one in the nether at 0,0. Now say you travel 1600 blocks east and 160 blocks north (in the overworld) and you create a portal there too, but it just links back to your original portal in the nether. What you would need to do is investigate what is preventing your new nether portal from being created. So you enter the nether at 0,0 and travel 100 blocks east and 10 blocks north (1600/16 and 160/16), only to find yourself in the middle of a lava lake. What you would need to do is build a island or something out there at 100,10. The game needs a suitable location to create the new portal or it just won't bother. After your new nether island is done, go back to the overworld, travel to 1600,160, and then enter the portal. The game should now create a nether portal in the proper location.

I've never done any of this on a SMP world, but I would have to think that the portal behavior would be similar.

Top Bottom