• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hawkian said:
I read that it was possible maybe to make glass tunnels in the Nether that can let you travel great distances in the overworld?

edit: note, because Ghasts don't see through glass, or something.

If ghasts can't see through glass then that must be a new change. When the nether first came out I built a real nice fort in the nether using cobble, wood, and glass. Of course in time the ghasts found me and obliterated that base to a burning hulk of charred wood and shattered glass. When I realized that ghasts can't destroy cobble I then proceeded to build cobble tunnels and bunkers all over but with glass windows. But every time I would run by a window, if a ghast caught sight of me they would shoot and then shatter my glass windows. Now I just build all of my nether buildings out of nothing but cobble and just leave the windows completely open.

Kind of a boring style for my nether constructions, but it works. Plus it's a great way to use up cobble from quarries and mining.

Ark

mcrae said:
i did get on. i deleted the minecraft .bin file a couple times, didnt work. so i just deleted the entire .minecraft folder, then it worked.

started work on a 'treehouse' type house. i use quotation marks because im building it out of half dirt/half wood and planting trees all over. inspired by the one near spawn.

You mean you're just going to leave that castle thing you started over by spawn in a totally unfinished state? :p

I'm going to start afresh and begin building something .. interesting. I just need to find a nice secluded area on the map.

Mengy

Ark said:
I'm going to start afresh and begin building something .. interesting. I just need to find a nice secluded area on the map.

Yeah, I more or less finished my Slime Haven house last night (in the underground city) so tonight I'm going back to work on my new out of the way mountain top ranch that I started some time ago. I'm going to really play around making this place, shaping rivers and waterfalls and making a very nice underground workshop and vault. I'm even going to do a bit of landscaping and mold the natural ravine a bit into something more grand. No huge towers, no castles, something modest but artful (hopefully).

About mushroom farms, what are the conditions for them to grow? I'm assuming total darkness? Do they need dirt, or can they grow on stone too?

mcrae

Ark said:
You mean you're just going to leave that castle thing you started over by spawn in a totally unfinished state? :p

well i wanted to do lots of water work on it. and ive repeatedly lost all my shit (read: no iron buckets) pretty often recently. still have some work to do on the bridge thing

I'm getting Worldguard errors any time I try and do anything. Open a door, open my chests, etc. It wont let me access anything at the moment. this happening for anyone else or am I being punished or something?

EDIT: nvm, that's weird... it just started working again when i replaced one of my signs.

Ark

Barnaby_Jones said:
I'm getting Worldguard errors any time I try and do anything. Open a door, open my chests, etc. It wont let me access anything at the moment. this happening for anyone else or am I being punished or something?

EDIT: nvm, that's weird... it just started working again when i replaced one of my signs.

It's a bug that happens every so often, I'm not totally sure why, but yeah, just a relog/client restart fixes the problem.

Mengy said:
I'm even going to do a bit of landscaping and mold the natural ravine a bit into something more grand. No huge towers, no castles, something modest but artful (hopefully).

That's pretty much what I'm going for :)

Mengy said:
About mushroom farms, what are the conditions for them to grow? I'm assuming total darkness? Do they need dirt, or can they grow on stone too?

I'm not actually sure. That's a good question :eek:

atre324

Mushrooms don't need total darkness, you can actually light them up with a ton of torches but I've heard that slows the growth rate.

Personally I have a bunch of Redstone Torches, which give sufficient light levels to let me see and still let them grow relatively quickly. They can grow on pretty much any surface, my farming pads are smooth stone but they've grown out onto the surrounding dirt and cobblestone, even wood planks.

They actually grow pretty quickly, I have a seed crop of about 200 (spaced 1 apart, although from what I understand they can spread anywhere in a 5x5 area of the original shroom) and in around 30 mins I get like 20-40 more.

They can spread downward a block if you've got them on ledges, so I've been toying with putting my seed mushrooms on ridges and using water currents to quickly harvest all the mushrooms that have spread down into the grooves, but I'm not sure if they spread slower downward than horizontally so for the moment I'm just manually harvesting.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I played for about 2 hours last night. Didn't really get anything productive done, still kind learning how the game works. I really really like the clouds, the world I'm in has these really high cliff faces, and when you climb to the top of them the clouds drift past you at eye level. It's actually kinda beautiful.

Still not quite sure what I want to build though. The number ONE this game needs is an ingame wiki reader, like the lightheaded add-on for WoW. That or just a crafting list in the menu like a fighting game move list.

GT Vespene said:
Replace the Nether with orbital space, where you have to build a rocket to get to, then do EVA's from the rocket to mine asteroids then come back with super rare minerals.
...seriously? You can do that?

Mengy

atre324 said:
Mushrooms don't need total darkness, you can actually light them up with a ton of torches but I've heard that slows the growth rate.

Personally I have a bunch of Redstone Torches, which give sufficient light levels to let me see and still let them grow relatively quickly. They can grow on pretty much any surface, my farming pads are smooth stone but they've grown out onto the surrounding dirt and cobblestone, even wood planks.

They actually grow pretty quickly, I have a seed crop of about 200 (spaced 1 apart, although from what I understand they can spread anywhere in a 5x5 area of the original shroom) and in around 30 mins I get like 20-40 more.

They can spread downward a block if you've got them on ledges, so I've been toying with putting my seed mushrooms on ridges and using water currents to quickly harvest all the mushrooms that have spread down into the grooves, but I'm not sure if they spread slower downward than horizontally so for the moment I'm just manually harvesting.

Interesting, thanks for that. So then a dark underground room sounds ideal, but I'm not going to want mobs spawning in there either. I wonder if mushrooms will grow on glass floors?

Ranger X

I have a little mushroom farm in Booty Bay (in the community farm). I'll check if my mushrooms did grow.

EDIT: hmm, there ARE certain conditions for mushrooms to spread because mine didn't spread at all. They were planted on dirt blocks with grass, normal daylight.

Anyone know of an organized and compact way to do redstone wired noteblock music? I have a few ideas I'd like to make if I had time. My Saria's Song video could use a follow-up :p

atre324

Ranger X said:
I have a little mushroom farm in Booty Bay (in the community farm). I'll check if my mushrooms did grow.

EDIT: hmm, there ARE certain conditions for mushrooms to spread because mine didn't spread at all. They were planted on dirt blocks with grass, normal daylight.

I should have clarified but Yea, torch light is fine but daylight is no good. Too much daylight will even make shrooms become unplanted and turn into items. You have to plant them indoors/underground to make them spread and from testing people have posted that light levels above 7 (iirc) will drastically slow growth

Mengy

atre324 said:
I should have clarified but Yea, torch light is fine but daylight is no good. Too much daylight will even make shrooms become unplanted and turn into items. You have to plant them indoors/underground to make them spread and from testing people have posted that light levels above 7 (iirc) will drastically slow growth

So keep the light level below 7, but mobs spawn in light level below 7 too, right? So a good mushroom farm is also a mob spawning ground, lol. I want to design a farm that can grow mushrooms without spawning mobs. Interesting challenge...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This game makes it really hard to have fun.

I built a pretty decent little underground hangout cave with a furnace and my workmench and some nice dirt arches outside, even lined the hallway with torches. So night comes and decide to really dig out the back of it and mine down to find some iron.

Well, I accidentally touched some hot lava, caught fire, died, respawned a 10 minute walk away, walked back, got killed by creepers twice since I didn't have any of my inventory, finally made it back to my pad, which is now completely destroyed.

I realize I can set it to peaceful, but that kinda takes the fun out of it. I realize that it's "in beta" but there is a pretty huge hump in this game. I was having an absolute blast, and then because I made a minor mistake my last 90 minutes of playtime were completely undone. :\

So do I need to carry water or something to put out the flames if I run into lava again? Also how do I change my spawn point to inside my little hideout?

EDIT:
Also, that performance mod worked wonders. Use it if you're having issues. Game runs fine now. Little janky, but its completely fine.

filipe

Jtwo said:

I built a pretty decent little underground hangout cave with a furnace and my workmench and some nice dirt arches outside, even lined the hallway with torches. So night comes and decide to really dig out the back of it and mine down to find some iron.

Well, I accidentally touched some hot lava, caught fire, died, respawned a 10 minute walk away, walked back, got killed by creepers twice since I didn't have any of my inventory, finally made it back to my pad, which is now completely destroyed.

I realize I can set it to peaceful, but that kinda takes the fun out of it. I realize that it's "in beta" but there is a pretty huge hump in this game. I was having an absolute blast, and then because I made a minor mistake my last 90 minutes of playtime were completely undone. :\

So do I need to carry water or something to put out the flames if I run into lava again? Also how do I change my spawn point to inside my little hideout?

EDIT:
Also, that performance mod worked wonders. Use it if you're having issues. Game runs fine now. Little janky, but its completely fine.

Personally I think that's what makes it fun, the off chance that one mistake can completely ruin an hours worth of work. Maybe I'm crazy, but knowing each move I make is very important is just pure fun.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its just discouraging, I think I'm just gonna play on peaceful until I figure out what I'm doing. The game is really overwhelming.

I think I definitely have a bad case of minecraft syndrome now though, already planning hugely ambitious builds that I have no idea how to achieve.

Mengy

Jtwo said:
Its just discouraging, I think I'm just gonna play on peaceful until I figure out what I'm doing. The game is really overwhelming.

I think I definitely have a bad case of minecraft syndrome now though, already planning hugely ambitious builds that I have no idea how to achieve.

Dude, when I first bought Minecraft I died all the time. Most people do until you learn how to survive best during the night, and what to look for during the day, and how to mine without killing yourself and losing all of your good items you are carrying. The game teaches you by hard lessons at first. Don't get discouraged by it, you are new to the game and dying often and in terrible yet stupendous ways is just part of the learning curve!

Or, you could puss out and play on peaceful. Many people play exclusively on peaceful. You can play however you want to.

I'll just give one bit of advice: if you eventually want to play with monsters on, do so from the beginning and learn the hard way. It will be better for you in the long run.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
See, I was gonna build a badass floating house under a water fall, with a single block width stone stairway leading up to it surrounded by sheets of falling water.

Then I'll turn the monsters on and laugh at them from above.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Cool! I'd really like to try that! What is the IP?

I notice this weird sound every now and then. I'm playing with music off, sound enabled. The sound is like chimes of some kind. I just noticed it digging on level 11.

Is it a dungeon nearby or something?

Vlad

nismogrendel said:
I notice this weird sound every now and then. I'm playing with music off, sound enabled. The sound is like chimes of some kind. I just noticed it digging on level 11.

That COULD be the sound of skeletons. They make a kind of wood-ish jangly noise when they're moving around.

Ranger X

Jtwo said:

It's a game that ask for being mastered. At first I was dying crazy too. Nowadays I don't die anymore because I know how to play effectively. I died maybe trice in the last month and a half we have Neocraft...

-Never dig under or over you (this way you can't fall into lava or receive something on the head.
-Always light up the envirronement where you are. (this way, monsters won't spawn)
-Always stay equipped and ready to fight (sword and later when you can: bow and arrows).

It's EASY to stay alive and never die in Minecraft, it's just that it's a game where the fun is to master it (amongst other things).

nismogrendel said:

Caves are making sounds. This means there's an opening near you.

Ranger X

guest1321 said:
Do explain more? Opening to above ground or opening to another corridor?

It just means there's some area without blocks near you (some space, some cave). It's not possible to know the exact location or how large the room or corridor in question is. Dig around where you stand and you're bound to find it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so I toughed it out and am playing on normal.
Have a pretty secure little hideout right above a hugely expansive mine. Still working my way down, but doing it really nicely. I'm making my own stairway tunnel with doors every so often just in case some mobs get nt.

I think I'm going to need a ton of resources for my house.

oktarb

Jtwo said:

EDIT:

Make a bed, it sets your spawn point to the bed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
When you sleep in it.
Careful placing it:
200px-Bed_Template.png

Jasoco

Banned
Hawkian said:
When you sleep in it.
Careful placing it:
200px-Bed_Template.png
Incorrect. I place all my beds against the wall. As long as there's enough light and no holes in the walls it will work. Even with it being a 1 block thin wall.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jasoco said:
Incorrect. I place all my beds against the wall. As long as there's enough light and no holes in the walls it will work. Even with it being a 1 block thin wall.
I don't know what to tell you. That's not my graphic and my beds seem to follow that rule (if a mob can get within 2 blocks of the bed, you wake up to the mob raping you).. maybe it's more complicated?

Ranger X

Jasoco said:

It's true but it only explain a part of the bug. Some of my bed places like that are having the bug, some others don't. There simply is something else into play that is more deep. Not something simple like lighting because I would have find out already. Anyhow, if you happen to have a room that does it, fixing it like in the picture always solve the problem.

Eccocid

Hey i have been away from MC for a while.

Does Asscraft still work? Or at which server the ppl of asscraft are playing now?(Vailure, Rochel, PoorRich, Denta etc...) I miss hanging out with those guys!

Jasoco

Banned
I dunno. Usually my big rooms have windows. Maybe the light from inside leaks outside enough to keep the area on the outside of the bed-side walls light enough to prevent it?

Most of my beds that aren't for show are in tiny 2x2 rooms though. I build these inside mountainsides. They consist of a door, a bed taking 2 spots and a block of wood with a torch in the back corner and one empty space to stand in. They work 100% of the time as long as I build them inside a solid mountain or underground where there's no outside edge to the walls.

The rest of my beds are for appearances, but also for using so I make sure there's enough light to keep the zombies and skeletons away.

Salaadin

Jasoco said:
Its correct to a degree but I think there might be more to it. I had a bed on an old single player level that was set up like the "unsafe" bed in that picture yet I was able to sleep in it maybe 60% of the time. The rest were all interrupted.

It got the point where Id stash all my items before going to bed and just keep trying until Id finally get through the night.

Jasoco

Banned
I go to bed with my sword drawn JUST IN CASE.
KuGsj.gif
The only times I've been awakened unexpectedly was because I didn't have enough light somewhere.

As I mentioned, try putting windows in the walls and lighting up the bedroom if you need to put the bed against a wall. As long as the light leaks outside the walls, it should keep it bright enough to keep them out.

When I say holes, I mean empty spaces. Glass counts as solid, but lets light through, so you could technically build a bedroom out of glass and it would probably work providing there's enough light inside the walls. (And outside)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Last night I had one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a while.

I made about 120 torches, and ventured deepinto a preexisting cave. I just didn't stop until the torches ran out. It went SO deep and there were tons of waterfalls and lava springs. And the serene piano music started kicking.

Beautiful Cave.
Now to strip mine it down to nothing.

mcrae

Jasoco said:
I dunno. Usually my big rooms have windows. Maybe the light from inside leaks outside enough to keep the area on the outside of the bed-side walls light enough to prevent it?

Most of my beds that aren't for show are in tiny 2x2 rooms though. I build these inside mountainsides. They consist of a door, a bed taking 2 spots and a block of wood with a torch in the back corner and one empty space to stand in. They work 100% of the time as long as I build them inside a solid mountain or underground where there's no outside edge to the walls.

The rest of my beds are for appearances, but also for using so I make sure there's enough light to keep the zombies and skeletons away.

well the ones you place inside mountains probably are surrounded by 2 blocks on most sides, no?

guest1321

Jtwo said:
Last night I had one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a while.

I made about 120 torches, and ventured deepinto a preexisting cave. I just didn't stop until the torches ran out. It went SO deep and there were tons of waterfalls and lava springs. And the serene piano music started kicking.

Beautiful Cave.
Now to strip mine it down to nothing.

Spelunking I believe it's called. Those adventures are one of the best things minecraft has to offer. Spooky, yet exciting!

Ark

Wheey. I finally found a place I'm going to build my new area in!

Time to get to work. Objective #1? Fully functioning minecart mineshaft.

bengraven

Ark said:
Wheey. I finally found a place I'm going to build my new area in!

Time to get to work. Objective #1? Fully functioning minecart mineshaft.

I wanted to make one of those, but half my mineshafts have been broken into by tunnelers.

That's the problem with having a huge mine on a multiplayer server. Even when you're far out, you'll eventually be encroached on. lol

Ark

bengraven said:
I wanted to make one of those, but half my mineshafts have been broken into by tunnelers.

That's the problem with having a huge mine on a multiplayer server. Even when you're far out, you'll eventually be encroached on. lol

Hopefully that doesn't happen to me, I'm sort of dead-centre between Al-Medina, Moria & Spawn.

Top Bottom