• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

guest1321

jakershaker said:
Nice weather/vacation etc.

I'm stuck in the countryside where the only computer gets like 10 fps on minecraft :/
Likewise man. I'll be back on soon but these first few weeks of summer have been surprisingly busy. I have been itching to get back on and build some stuff though!

From Tumblr: the Minecraft food pyramid

tumblr_lm6veeKbZt1qeqicb

mcrae

nismogrendel said:
Here is what I have tried with my redstone hatch problem:

1) Exposed wiring on top - works fine

http://i.imgur.com/kv6gD.jpg

2) Hidden wiring running into side of block - works fine

http://i.imgur.com/FL2Go.jpg

3) Hidden wiring running into side of block(s) - doesn't work

http://i.imgur.com/lyNJy.jpg

I cant think of any other way to run it... anyone got any ideas?

im no expert either, but AFAIK redstone actually powers the block above the block you place it on. it is a block in itself, just one you can walk through. so in your second picture it is directly touching the block with the hatch on it (hatch? piston? i dunno) and powering that block. in the third picture, it is touching those blocks, but the hatches are one block further, so they arent getting power

edit: so really it has to do with the power just jumping back and forth between the two wires. or something like that. anyways if you provide a single line to each block, it will work, like this:
nI1Lp.jpg

0MzyA.jpg

Ranger X

Since some weeks now the server Neocraft has suffered from alot of griefing. This shit needs to stop. We will need a whitelist or something.

Every single time I connect, I get stuff like that:

Griefing01.png

or again

Griefing02.png

It's really, really not fun. All I do is legit and I "work" to build anything I build. I would like people to respect that.

Ark

Ranger X said:
Since some weeks now the server Neocraft has suffered from alot of griefing. This shit needs to stop. We will need a whitelist or something.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/RangerX_photos/Griefing01.png[IMG]

or again

[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/RangerX_photos/Griefing02.png[IMG]

It's really, really not fun. All I do is legit and I "work" to build anything I build. I would like people to respect that.[/QUOTE]

Wow. This is the first I've heard of this :l

I was considering putting on a whitelist this week, does anyone disagree/agree?

mcrae

Ark said:

that civil wars server always has warnings about admins being able to see everything you do in server, and griefing wont be tolerated. do they have some nice back-end tools that you can get? or are they just lying? lol

KillerAJD

mcrae said:
that civil wars server always has warnings about admins being able to see everything you do in server, and griefing wont be tolerated. do they have some nice back-end tools that you can get? or are they just lying? lol
I don't know what they use, but yes, they can see everything, lol. Its quite amusing pm'ing somebody and the admins replying to it, haha. And you can pay for an investigation, and they will tell you who placed/destroyed a block, and who opened a chest.

mcrae

KillerAJD said:
I don't know what they use, but yes, they can see everything, lol. Its quite amusing pm'ing somebody and the admins replying to it, haha. And you can pay for an investigation, and they will tell you who placed/destroyed a block, and who opened a chest.

ark pm exano quick! ask for help from a fellow gaffer!

Ark

mcrae said:
ark pm exano quick! ask for help from a fellow gaffer!

It depends who they're hosting their server with, whether it's a third-party or whether they're hosting it themselves. I don't think Multiplay will allow me to do such a thing, I'll certainly look into it this week though.

guest1321

Ark said:

I think a blacklist would be more appropriate, but regardless it would be nice to prevent those that are griefing from having access to the server.

Ark

guest1321 said:
I think a blacklist would be more appropriate, but regardless it would be nice to prevent those that are griefing from having access to the server.

We have a blacklist, but I have to add people manually. If we don't know who it is thats griefing, then we can't add them to the blacklist :(

Toki1776

Indeed, this is the first I've heard of it, also. I'm currently looking in to methods that we have available to prevent this, or at least find out who's doing it.

Ark

Toki1776 said:
Indeed, this is the first I've heard of it, also. I'm currently looking in to methods that we have available to prevent this, or at least find out who's doing it.

Great to hear :)

Notch on Twitter said:
Remember how many chunk updates there are when the sun sets or rises in Minecraft? In 1.7 there are zero.
Notch on Twitter said:
And now smooth lighting works with the fancy new lighting system:
:D So excited. This means smooth transitions between daytime and nighttime. Looks like torches will give off yellow light as well.

That's the first griefing I've seen done to a player before although there has been an excess of floating trees and general inconsiderate behaviour lately.

Nothing particularly major and likely accidental in some cases (forming obsidian in the lava lake in moria, etc) but it seems some players aren't willing to walk far to get their resources any more. Someone took a few bits of wood from a few trees, right in the middle of booty bay when there is a relatively huge forest behind mine and also a tree farm I believe. As long as it's not the trees immediately surrounding my house, i'm not fussed!

Another case has seen my farm getting raided a few times. It's only a small farm and if anyone else would like to use it, I'm more than happy to let you expand it or take the excess but when you chop everything down, don't replant and just clear off... That just ain't good business!

Oh and I know this one was probably pure luck and a missed block but if it was someone who took that glass block out of the path in the middle of Moria, Fuck You. I lost loads of good stuff because of that!

Ranger X

Treefingers said:
:D So excited. This means smooth transitions between daytime and nighttime. Looks like torches will give off yellow light as well.

Wow, looks like the next update will be awesome. Stuff is added by the day.

Finished the exterior of my villa behind booty bay;

2011-06-11_225225.png

2011-06-11_225152.png

If you follow the road or harbour along from the boat house at the back of the bay there's quite a lot of space for larger buildings, if anyone else wants to build a villa/mansion place - it could be the posh side of town :p

Also, where would be a good spot for a new house in Al-Medina? I had a look about yesterday, but there didn't seem to be much space left around the residential district, and it looked like a lot of the open space beyond there was reserved for bigger buildings and plazas.

Barnaby_Jones said:
Someone took a few bits of wood from a few trees, right in the middle of booty bay when there is a relatively huge forest behind mine and also a tree farm I believe.

Yeah, I noticed a lot of that around the bay - spent a good ten minutes removing or repairing floating trees. You think people would know by now with the number of times the warning gets displayed on the bulletin.

Mik2121

BTW I added a safety wall and finished up most of my house in Al-Medina after RangerX pretty much posted a "son, I am disappoint" comment via messenger :p

We need some new project to get all of us together again!. Or is there a project going on already? Besides the underground town, anyway.

Ark

Qwomo said:
Doubtlessly made in another program and then imported into the game.

Clearly you didn't read the description and know nothing of one of the most popular Minecraft servers on the internet.

atre324

Ranger X said:

(pics)

It's really, really not fun. All I do is legit and I "work" to build anything I build. I would like people to respect that.

Are you sure it isnt your fire glitching and jumping through walls? I've definitely had a few instances of my fire spreading even though it wasnt supposed to, and it seems like the only blocks that are missing are flammable ones

Ranger X

atre324 said:
Are you sure it isnt your fire glitching and jumping through walls? I've definitely had a few instances of my fire spreading even though it wasnt supposed to, and it seems like the only blocks that are missing are flammable ones

Nah it's not fire. It's been a real while that I had those walls dones and nothing catches fire. I could have been the last update (1.6.something) but the fire spreading has been nerfed in that update so it's extremely unlikely to be because of that.

Twig

Banned
Ranger X said:
Nah it's not fire. It's been a real while that I had those walls dones and nothing catches fire. I could have been the last update (1.6.something) but the fire spreading has been nerfed in that update so it's extremely unlikely to be because of that.
Not necessarily.

In fact, it's more likely, simply because he changed the way fire works. It's much easier to introduce a bug than it is to fix one, etc.

Ranger X

Twig said:
Not necessarily.

In fact, it's more likely, simply because he changed the way fire works. It's much easier to introduce a bug than it is to fix one, etc.

Of course a bug is possible. But I think it's very unlickely here. At worse, all my other griefing is real anyways.
I also stayed logged in near my fireplace for multiples hours and nothing happened.

Twig

Banned
Ranger X said:
Of course a bug is possible. But I think it's very unlickely here. At worse, all my other griefing is real anyways.
I also stayed logged in near my fireplace for multiples hours and nothing happened.
Right, you probably got dicked over.

Saw on reddit that slime balls will be used for sticky pistons. Now I need to go farm a few stacks of balls.

I couldn't get my hidden wiring hatch system working to close my staircase to bedrock, I should be able to get it done w/ sticky pistons I hope. Can't wait for this next update.

mcrae

nismogrendel said:
Saw on reddit that slime balls will be used for sticky pistons. Now I need to go farm a few stacks of balls.

I couldn't get my hidden wiring hatch system working to close my staircase to bedrock, I should be able to get it done w/ sticky pistons I hope. Can't wait for this next update.

can you post a picture of the orientation/how you want it to look when finished?

elektrixx

Banned
I had a grand plan of making a city in the sky but I've noticed it doesn't rain below where I've placed cobblestones.

If I cover enough of the sky, will the ground below eventually be in perpetual darkness?

Mik2121

elektrixx said:
I had a grand plan of making a city in the sky but I've noticed it doesn't rain below where I've placed cobblestones.

If I cover enough of the sky, will the ground below eventually be in perpetual darkness?
Unless you place torches, yeah.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my son accidentally updated to 1.6 and couldn't connect to the server (which is still 1.5 due to craftbukkit and worldedit dependencies).

Managed to revert by using time machine (mac) and restoring the library/application support/minecraft/bin folder.

First time I've ever had to use time machine, worked surprisingly well!

mcrae said:
can you post a picture of the orientation/how you want it to look when finished?

http://i.imgur.com/psR4j.png

That is all I have built for it so far. The sides are dug out to fit the wiring underneath/behind the staircase. When it's finished I want to use wood blocks that retract into that holes lined up w/ the torch in foreground. When I close the hatch I want the blocks to extend out of both holes towards the center.

I think it will be a bit cooler than 2 rows of hatches covering that staircase.

Ark

mrklaw said:
my son accidentally updated to 1.6 and couldn't connect to the server (which is still 1.5 due to craftbukkit and worldedit dependencies).

Managed to revert by using time machine (mac) and restoring the library/application support/minecraft/bin folder.

First time I've ever had to use time machine, worked surprisingly well!

There is a much easier way, but at least you did it in the end :)

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
My laptop is dead/dying. I uploaded my save file to dropbox, but when I try to play it on another computer, it loads me up in the middle of nowhere. I built a portal to the nether in hopes that I'd find my portal network. I did find all my old nether portals, and at first I thought the nightmare was over, but when I went through my home portal it loaded me up out in the middle of nowhere again. I think I've lost everything I've worked on. Has this happened to anyone else?

Captain Pants said:
I think I've lost everything I've worked on. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yeah, this happened to me when my PC crashed while I was playing - your stuff should be there, it's just that the game spawned you somewhere entirely different, just use a map generator (cartograph or something similar) to figure out where your constructions are in relation to your new location.

Captain Pants

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, this happened to me when my PC crashed while I was playing - your stuff should be there, it's just that the game spawned you somewhere entirely different, just use a map generator (cartograph or something similar) to figure out where your constructions are in relation to your new location.

The shitty part is that I went from a PC to a Mac, so I can't use cartograph to figure out where I'm at. I built a compass and it took me to a random spot in the middle of nowhere.:(

Ark

Captain Pants said:
The shitty part is that I went from a PC to a Mac, so I can't use cartograph to figure out where I'm at. I built a compass and it took me to a random spot in the middle of nowhere.:(

MCMap Live.

You'll thank me later :)

Captain Pants

^
Thanks Ark, I'll check it out.

lol... I keep shooting myself in the foot. I uninstalled Minecraft and was getting ready to reinstall it right when lulsec hacked them.

Captain Pants

Reinstalling it did the trick! Unfortunately my back up was from about a month ago, but it is better than nothing. I lost two big rail systems that I built along with some cool buildings, but it won't take too long to rebuild.:)

Top Bottom