• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

Also, I am still login in from time to time but I am waiting for a nice community project.
I have a settlement in all the current communities, I wish we had a new project that would motivate people.

Yeah, I think we should try and start a new community project in the next week or so, see if that motivates people, and then if we still haven't got much action going on the server after that maybe consider reducing the player count. I've personally had bad experiences with public servers, I wouldn't like to see something similar happen to NeoCraft.

Ark

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, I think we should try and start a new community project in the next week or so, see if that motivates people, and then if we still haven't got much action going on the server after that maybe consider reducing the player count. I've personally had bad experiences with public servers, I wouldn't like to see something similar happen to NeoCraft.

Ranger X said:
Also, I am still login in from time to time but I am waiting for a nice community project.
I have a settlement in all the current communities, I wish we had a new project that would motivate people.

The problem with community projects is that people will come online for just that project, and then disappear again. And besides that, we'll run out of ideas sooner or later!

Having said that though, the server does appear to have picked up slightly in the last few days or so.

Woorloog

Banned
Okay, finally making my first post here (after a year or so lurking, finally getting account validated and almost forgotting i had even registered...).
Love Minecraft but it's sad to play it alone... i have a great many ideas but i need to show them to someone. Achievements in ignorance isn't that fun.
But i haven't managed to get in MP... servers advertised on MC forums don't attract me due their somewhat public nature and due that, griefers (who should be burned alive, in all games).
The OP seems to be slightly dated and and i'm wondering who can join NeoCraft (or whatever is NeoGAFs current server?). Can juniors join in (the NeoCraft post notes that anyone can join but it never hurts to be sure)? Is there... uh... space (maybe i should say player slots?) for new people? Wouldn't be joining to the Ventrilo server though, i dislike voice chatting.
Oh and do clients need any addons?

Ark said:
The problem with community projects is that people will come online for just that project, and then disappear again.

Yeah, you're right, you often see people jump in and build a house for the community projects, but then never return to that area. Personally I'd like to see people keep making buildings, so as to expand the community projects. I've got like 2 houses, a villa, a pub and a boat house at the bay, but it'd be nice if other people were adding in more buildings as there's a lot of room for expansion.

Ark

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, you're right, you often see people jump in and build a house for the community projects, but then never return to that area. Personally I'd like to see people keep making buildings, so as to expand the community projects. I've got like 2 houses, a villa, a pub and a boat house at the bay, but it'd be nice if other people were adding in more buildings as there's a lot of room for expansion.

Really, we shouldn't have to create endless community projects for people to play on the server. With that said, I would be all over building a giant fortress town (keyword: giant).

Woorloog said:
The OP seems to be slightly dated and and i'm wondering who can join NeoCraft (or whatever is NeoGAFs current server?). Can juniors join in (the NeoCraft post notes that anyone can join but it never hurts to be sure)? Is there... uh... space (maybe i should say player slots?) for new people? Wouldn't be joining to the Ventrilo server though, i dislike voice chatting.
Oh and do clients need any addons?

Firstly, welcome to posting-GAF :p

Secondly, anyone can join the NeoCraft server. All you need to do is quote the OP for the server address, and join!

Any client side addons only affect your game and not the server, and since the server doesn't require any client side addons, you're all set :)

Woorloog

Banned
Thank you!
I might be visiting later today, today being subjective of course due timezones..., going by T51b in game.

EDIT ehh, i hope i got the avatar right...

Coverly

I got the ok to ask so here it goes:

There is a contest running in wonderhowto to win a real life version of the Minecraft Pickaxe:

http://goo.gl/0t5m8

All you have to do is recreate the website mascot in minecraft and submit it, winner gets picked this coming Monday.

The disclaimer: I don't work or get paid for the site but I'm the one heading the contest because of how often I write about Minecraft in their community blogs. The person in charge of doing the weekly contests thought it would be a cool idea to see what people could come up with. She came up with the prize and I wrote the post for the contest. It's free to enter and I thought it would be cool if a fellow gaffer won it.

Marco1

Can anyone tell me what the best texture mods are?
I am looking for a more detailed version of the original textures.
Thanks.

Ark

I have to say, I'm actually really pleased and proud that most of the buildings on the server are all quite modest in comparison to other servers, obviously the community projects have helped that, but nevertheless.

Although having said that, my next project is quite large :p

Woorloog

Banned
Okay, i'm sort of overwhelmed due the server... very cool stuff.
I wonder how i'm going to top that... i think large, but maybe a bit too large.
Gonna need a map though... otherwise i get lost. I wonder where (relative to spawn? dunno) i can find wilderness i can tame.

bengraven

Ark said:
I have to say, I'm actually really pleased and proud that most of the buildings on the server are all quite modest in comparison to other servers, obviously the community projects have helped that, but nevertheless.

Although having said that, my next project is quite large :p

What's the next project?

Also I've been gone a while, but I'm getting the itch to get back soon. Just kind of overwhelmed with home things.

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, thanks for the map.

By the way, the tunnel from the spawn to Booty Bay? Is it supposed to be missing some rail pieces, torches from a long section, a side tunnel has a lot of lava in it and the actual tunnel had some flooding... fixed that while going through it.

That rainforest (is it one? hard to say based on the map alone) south-east from Booty Bay, it's still total wilderness? If it is rainforest and no one has dibs on it, i might be building something there. Alternatively the (rain)forest north of Al-Medina (might be better, if i build a (underground) railway from Al-Medina to the forest...)

Gotta go explore i suppose.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:
Nothing is being payed, the payment is every 3 months, the next one is sometime during the end of July, which is why I'm bringing this up now.

At the end of the day, it's up to you guys, I'm just throwing ideas out there and seeing what responses I get.

Well that is one positive. The more people playing the server the more chances for donations. And some of the people on the MC forums can be quite fanatical and devoted to supporting good SMP servers. It's the griefers and bad apples I'm worried about.

Bootaaay said:
you often see people jump in and build a house for the community projects, but then never return to that area. Personally I'd like to see people keep making buildings, so as to expand the community projects. I've got like 2 houses, a villa, a pub and a boat house at the bay, but it'd be nice if other people were adding in more buildings as there's a lot of room for expansion.

My problem is time. I still have ideas for Booty Bay and Moria and I'm not even done with my sand tower at the spawn area. Plus I have a ranch I've started that is still very much a work in progress. And I have ideas for a few other things I want to build, some quite large. But I just spent a week and a half fishing in Canada, and I'm working OT lately, and my mountain bike is not getting enough exercise, and so on. I keep hoping for a nice rainy day or two where I can just sit inside and play Minecraft all day, LOL.

Woorloog said:
Ah, thanks for the map.

By the way, the tunnel from the spawn to Booty Bay? Is it supposed to be missing some rail pieces, torches from a long section, a side tunnel has a lot of lava in it and the actual tunnel had some flooding... fixed that while going through it.

No, we have at least one busy griefer running around our server. I've been seeing more of this lately, and he seems to be getting more bold and greedy.

Woorloog

Banned
Cut of the griefer's balls i say. And then burn him.

The forerst north of Al-Medina seems to be suitable place for a city i was thinking to build... does anyone has any plans for the lake in it? Will look for another place if someone wants to do something there.
EDIT actually, leaving that project later... i think too big, gotta start small. Would need tons of Obsidian anyway... or black wool.

EDIT2, it seems that the "secret lair", an underwater home next to spawn has been struck by a griefer... there's a flood :(

Atomski

I just started this up today after not playing it for over a month. Havent tried to much yet but I just made a map and it dosnt seem to show anything I built.. is that normal? if so kinda useless...

Woorloog said:

Two people did join earlier today at the same time, and both got the 1st time welcome auto-message. A while later they both died from lava or fire, and a few moments later, they both left at the same time.

I thought it was suspicious and checked out spawn. Everything seemed to be in order, but I didn't check out the Booty Bay tunnel. I did however screen-cap their names in case Ark has some sort of monitoring mod to see what they were up to.

Ark

ArtistDude88 said:
Two people did join earlier today at the same time, and both got the 1st time welcome auto-message. A while later they both died from lava or fire, and a few moments later, they both left at the same time.

I thought it was suspicious and checked out spawn. Everything seemed to be in order, but I didn't check out the Booty Bay tunnel. I did however screen-cap their names in case Ark has some sort of monitoring mod to see what they were up to.

Oh how I would love one of those..I'm not so sure it would work with Multiplay though, I'll check it out when I get home tomorrow.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem anyway. You could pour lava all over a wooden fortress and it wouldn't ignite.

vehn

can anyone launch the game through steam and have the steam overlay working? When I launch it through Steam, it shows I'm playing it for a second and then goes away. Then it won't even launch the steam overlay at all while I'm playing

I know Exano's survival and Timan's creative ran BigBrother, or some other monitoring program.

I launch my game thru Steam, and overlay works for me, but if I use it, the overlay totally screws everything up, and I basically have to ctrl alt del MC out. :p

Jasoco

Banned
Ugh. I just loaded up my world for the first real time since 1.6 came out and I am so disappointed. They fixed bugs and introduced new ones that have completely destroyed my world.

My minecart PEZ dispenser method no longer works. Because for some reason minecarts no longer get pushed along by other carts next to them. I never thought I'd be a person who got mad at that bug being fixed. Did this go unnoticed? Does this totally break old-style boosters? I relied on an old-style booster to dispense my carts. Now it no longer works.

And secondly, fire was fucked up so much that it now catches wood on fire even when its further than it should be. It used to only catch wood that was within 2 blocks. Now I have a fucking condo up in flames because I have no alternative to wood to use for my roofs and floors in the houses. And I sure as hell ain't gonna use cobblestone for my 45 degree roofs.

FFS I can't believe they broke and fixed this. The minecart bug should have been saved for when an alternative method to dispense carts could be created.

Now I need to come up with a new method for creating my minecart system.

So sad. About both. But mainly about the minecarts.

Yeah, they also fixed boat elevators, which really made me sad.

But you can now make powered rails for your minecart system and save a few irons making extra minecarts.

Jasoco

Banned
I know, but I needed the ability to push a cart with another cart in order to reliably dispense pez stacked carts.

i.e. You have a bunch of carts stacked on top of each other. At the bottom a secondary cart would rush by the bottom cart and push it into the dispensing track when the first cart leaves the station.

Now I can't use that anymore. So my monorail back and forth between my building sites has stopped dispensing carts. And it took me days to figure out how to do that. So now I need an alternate method for dispensing carts. So I'm looking on the MC Forums for ideas. Because I NEED my automated cart system.

Edit: Hmm, it looks like someone figured out a way to use trap doors to dispense the carts. I'm going to try this out. I don't need to BOOST the carts with the other carts. I only needed it to push the new cart onto the dispensing faucet track.

I'm gonna do some playing around now.

Vlad

ArtistDude88 said:
Yeah, they also fixed boat elevators, which really made me sad.

But you can now make powered rails for your minecart system and save a few irons making extra minecarts.

Yeah, but the powered rails are still WAY too weak, especially when going uphill. Gold went from "rare but useless" to "you need a TON of the stuff to make long-distance minecarts useful".

As far as dispensers go, I did see a video once of someone using powered rails and hatches to make a pez dispenser-style cart dispenser, so it's still something that's possible.

Jasoco

Banned
Oh hell yes. Found a new method on the MC Forum using a trap door and a pulser to dispense the carts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBSv5n92_8U

Of course it seems like yet another bug that could potentially be fixed. But at least it no longer requires booster bugs.

I do too wish powered rails boosted the carts the same speed whether they're full or not.

commissar

Ranger X said:
I don't get this. Make a house and leave.
Make another house! Gardens! Public Works!

Al-Medina for example needs more gardens, boulevards and houses, Henry is making a mosque, stables could be good. Materials for the mosque and palace.
Al-Medina still doesn't have a port despite being by the seaside. Nor warehouses for trade.

After some more gardens I think I'll be making a library there.

A train station. A bank. An inn. A smithy. A stone carvers.
Come and make stuff!

Jasoco

Banned
This will be bottom-paged, but whatever.

Why do Trap Doors open UPWARDS? Shouldn't they open DOWNWARDS? Instead of sitting inside the hole and swinging down they sit on top of the hole and swing up. What's with that?

commissar

Jasoco said:
This will be bottom-paged, but whatever.

Why do Trap Doors open UPWARDS? Shouldn't they open DOWNWARDS? Instead of sitting inside the hole and swinging down they sit on top of the hole and swing up. What's with that?
Probably because then you couldn't get out via a ladder smoothly. Unless the trapdoor side became a ladder when opened. But then mobs wouldn't necessarily fall through.
Seems easier to move them up

commissar

Also, they are less trap doors and more hatches.
Which traditionally open upwards IRL so people can't fall through them

(sorry for the double post, can't edit on my phone very well :/)

Ranger X

commissar said:
I don't get this. Make a house and leave.
Make another house! Gardens! Public Works!

Al-Medina for example needs more gardens, boulevards and houses, Henry is making a mosque, stables could be good. Materials for the mosque and palace.
Al-Medina still doesn't have a port despite being by the seaside. Nor warehouses for trade.

After some more gardens I think I'll be making a library there.

A train station. A bank. An inn. A smithy. A stone carvers.
Come and make stuff!

I do make alot of stuff. I made the community mob grinder at spawn, most streets of spawn area, a huge mine under all of that + my house and settlement there isn't a small thing. I also contributed to the community mine, in Booty Bay, build a quite huge house, build that lighthouse over there and also a community farm. I dug out a part of the Moria's cave with some 200 TNTs, all made legit, no spawning. Also build my greenhouse in there later on. I also have a nice little settlement in Al-Medina. Nah seriously, I build alot of stuff.

I just think it's inevitable that you slowdown after a while, unless there is something exciting going on community wise.

Jasoco

Banned
commissar said:
Probably because then you couldn't get out via a ladder smoothly. Unless the trapdoor side became a ladder when opened. But then mobs wouldn't necessarily fall through.
Seems easier to move them up
You know, that does make sense. Sadly it also makes it harder to blend them into the surroundings and you can't have them in two block high hallways.

Anyway, there's one thing I would love to see in 1.7. The ability for redstone to power a light source other than redstone torches. Like Lightstone for instance, or even Netherrack to turn fire on and off. Something, anything. That would make redstone powered light shows much cooler to look at. And they'd blend in better. Plus lightstone is brighter. As is fire.

commissar

Ranger X said:
I do make alot of stuff.
<snip>
I just think it's inevitable that you slowdown after a while, unless there is something exciting going on community wise.
Ah I see. Your first post read like you'd just made a house and moved on. Sorry if I offended :)

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder, is there any plans to make a tunnel or a road or a railway from Spawn city to Al-Medina or from Booty Bay to Al-Medina? Maybe elevated monorail?
Yeah, we can warp beetween them but...

I'm looking at the mcmap gui options, there is one to just render the underground caves. I'd like to check out the caves around my grinder to improve it, but I don't really want spoilers. What a dilemma.

*edit* Guess this also has an option to only render between certain coordinates. This will do.

Venfayth

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet :p

Via PCGamer - Underground ravines will be implemented with 1.7!

Minecraft-Underground-Ravines.png

www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/22/a-glimpse-of-minecraft-1-7s-underground-ravines/

Glasswork

That looks pretty awesome, too bad we won't be able to find it in the current server 8(
And I agree, more variation in the landscape would be awesome, I want sand dunes, oases and giant craters.

Woorloog

Banned
We can't find them on already explored chunks... new chunks on the other hand...

Is white wool or snow allowed material for buildings on Medina? I was thinking of making my house white.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Bootaaay said:
Rehosted;

[This is definitely what I want to see more of, more variety in the landscapes generated.

Aww hell yeah! That looks freakin awesome! Once 1.7 hits I'm going exploring on the server to find one of those, then I'm going to open it up to the surface and make the Grand Canyon of Neocraft. I'll build waterfalls going down the sides that flow into a canyon river that eventually flows underground into a large cavern and even down to bedrock. Then I'm going to build wooden bridges spanning the chasm leading to scenic cliff trails that walk you around and behind the falls, and just create one huge scenic waterfall tourist attraction.

Yeah. One more project I don't have time to make, LOL. Still, 1.7 is awesome so far.

Ark

When 1.7 hits, I actually wouldn't mind trimming down the map, and to go off exploring and create a new spawn.

bengraven

Ark said:
When 1.7 hits, I actually wouldn't mind trimming down the map, and to go off exploring and create a new spawn.

I'm up for that. I was just thinking I might go off into the woods and build something on the edge of the map.

Toki1776

Ark said:

Just what I was thinking. There's still plenty of area on the server that has been generated, with nothing built, that would be fine to cut out. Although, if the terrain generation algorithm changes too much, the borders between old and new land might look a bit odd. It would still be worth it, though.

Glasswork

Woorloog said:
We can't find them on already explored chunks... new chunks on the other hand...

Is white wool or snow allowed material for buildings on Medina? I was thinking of making my house white.
The base material has to be sand/sandstone
Other materials as decoration are fine, granted they follow the theme (you won't see any snow in the desert :p) and don't stand out.

Top Bottom