• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:
When 1.7 hits, I actually wouldn't mind trimming down the map, and to go off exploring and create a new spawn.

I'm in full support of this. We still don't know what "adventure" stuff is going to be added, there may be a lot more than underground ravines added to the world gen. I know one thing: my single player world is about to get a WHOLE lot larger...

Ark

Mengy said:
I'm in full support of this. We still don't know what "adventure" stuff is going to be added, there may be a lot more than underground ravines added to the world gen. I know one thing: my single player world is about to get a WHOLE lot larger...

I hope to create this new spawn fucking light years away from the current spawn. That way we can begin working on a server wide minecart system (I'd like to get a team setup for this :p) to link the old spawn & the current spawn, as well as any major cities/towns in the new spawn area.

Speaking of which, we don't actually have any 'cities', maybe that could be one of the next community projects?

In fact, I'm thinking I'm going to put my treehouse on hold until 1.7 now, dammit...

I'm hoping 1.7 hits before the next payment is due, maybe that will generate some more activity.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I'm going to do some 'spring cleaning' with the user list come 1.7. Removing citizens & demoting veterans that seem to have totally disappeared.

NQIZY.jpg

My house is finally finished! I've been collecting wood all day. Why? Because I have a new project planned: GIANT TREE. Actually, I'd like to gauge the interest of GAF regarding construction of such a thing. It might be a good community project. And we can build like a skyscraper-style city inside. Kinda like the Goron lair in Ocarina of Time, you know? (only built in a tree instead of a volcano.)

Ark

vas_a_morir said:
http://i.imgur.com/NQIZY.jpg[IMG]

My house is finally finished! I've been collecting wood all day. Why? Because I have a new project planned: GIANT TREE. Actually, I'd like to gauge the interest of GAF regarding construction of such a thing. It might be a good community project. And we can build like a skyscraper-style city inside. Kinda like the Goron lair in Ocarina of Time, you know? (only built in a tree instead of a volcano.)[/QUOTE]

That would have to be a stupidly large tree, so there's a large likelihood that it'll be a giant eyesore :p

Nice house btw though! :)

Ark said:
That would have to be a stupidly large tree, so there's a large likelihood that it'll be a giant eyesore :p

Nice house btw though! :)

haha, very true. I'm just going to go with my original plans for a "larger than expected" tree by my base.

Jasoco

Banned
GT Vespene said:
That ravine pic... has anyone noticed that the torches are emitting orange light?
Yeah. I think they're putting in colored light sources or something I believe. I'm really hoping for powered light sources other than RS torches.

Jasoco

Banned
I hope those rumored light sensors also get put in as well. I want 1.7 to add as much crap as possible. I've been experimenting with redstone and circuitry and switches and all sorts of stuff. I already have big plans for my next world.

Also, if there's going to be underground ravines, I really hope they create ropes.

I had an idea for a craftable rope that would be used for spelunking and such. It would be three strings vertically and a stick at the top. You'd place the rope at the top of a cliff edge and it would fall down the side and act like a ladder.

Since they're going to make deep holes like that, it would be the easiest way to get down and up.

Also, in that picture, is that natural lighting or are the torches now giving off yellow light? Will be neat if you can find a ravine entrance at the surface, or even a trench. They should make it so sunlight doesn't reach the bottom in those cases. I wish sunlight were more realistic in that it followed the angle of the sun and cast shadows accordingly.

Pimpbaa

vas_a_morir said:
NQIZY.jpg

My house is finally finished! I've been collecting wood all day. Why? Because I have a new project planned: GIANT TREE. Actually, I'd like to gauge the interest of GAF regarding construction of such a thing. It might be a good community project. And we can build like a skyscraper-style city inside. Kinda like the Goron lair in Ocarina of Time, you know? (only built in a tree instead of a volcano.)
I did something similar to your tree idea on Exano's old gaf server. Worst thing was it was perpetually dark under it, so i had monsters all the time roaming around.

Ark

Woorloog said:
Ark's reaction when i mentioned Jedi Temple as potetianl project was priceless, IMO

Ark: Holy Fucking Shit T51b!!!

:p

To be honest, I think I might just build one come 1.7 now.

Henry's Mosque is so inspiring.

Woorloog

Banned
Ark said:
To be honest, I think I might just build one come 1.7 now.

Henry's Mosque is so inspiring.
Hey, my idea, my project!
Seriously, Jedi temple will need planning... and probably more than one builder.

Ranger X

Man, 1.7 will be awesome!!

I'm seriously thinking about cutting my single player world and regenerate it on the new version. I mean, it really is starting to be worth it.

bengraven

I like the idea of a universal city.

It would have been awesome if we could have built a modern city where spawn is. Cool to log in and find yourself in central park, then leave and have all these weird fantasy/artistic houses in the country.

Ark

bengraven said:

It would have been awesome if we could have built a modern city where spawn is. Cool to log in and find yourself in central park, then leave and have all these weird fantasy/artistic houses in the country.

We could still do that, just build the city else where and move the spawn there.

Ranger X said:
Man, 1.7 will be awesome!!

I'm seriously thinking about cutting my single player world and regenerate it on the new version. I mean, it really is starting to be worth it.

I haven't touched singleplayer since I started playing multiplayer :eek:

It's all about NeoCraft :cool:

mr_chun

Wait, so there is a way to trim chunks that have already been created?

The map of the server I play on over at IGN has several "limbs" from where people walked in a straight line for miles looking for god knows what, then tp'd back to spawn without building anything. It'd be awesome to snip those off, along with all of the other discovered but unsettled lands so that we can regenerate them with the new stuff (and old-ish stuff we never got- we hardly have any snow).

Ark

Yeah, just upload the map into MCEdit, cut out those chunks of map, and re-upload the edited map onto the server. When re-discovered, those chunks will then regenerate with whatever new goodies the updates bring.

mr_chun

Ark said:
Yeah, just upload the map into MCEdit, cut out those chunks of map, and re-upload the edited map onto the server. When re-discovered, those chunks will then regenerate with whatever new goodies the updates bring.
*drools*

Thanks for the tip, I'll pass it along to our admin. :D

commissar

bengraven said:

as long as the city is built in a grassy area so the trees can be nice green!

Vespene

Is there any way to increase the height limits on a world that works on the latest version?

Or at least lower the terrain surface level when generation new land?

Ranger X

GT Vespene said:
Is there any way to increase the height limits on a world that works on the latest version?

Or at least lower the terrain surface level when generation new land?

No, however there's a Sky World coming in a futur update.

Jasoco

Banned
I wish they'd double it to 256 height. And place the sea level at about 96 or 128. I'd even love 512. They'd just need to figure out how to do "vertical chunks".

Another thing I'd love to see is a redone Nether. Instead of having the Nether for fast travel, because really, it's a boring concept when we have super fast carts, I'd love for them to have the three dimensions stacked on top of each other with seamless transition from one to the other. The Nether would be below the real world which would be below the "heaven world", or "sky realm" or whatever they were thinking of doing.

Each one would be generated itself, and only when the player(s) get close enough to generate them, but you'd be able to dig all the way down to hell, or climb all the way up to heaven. The clouds would be at the 128 block height and hell would be at 0.

Portals would no longer be for fast travel, instead they'd simply create a matching portal in hell below. And there could be a secondary portal called sky portals which would instead take you to the sky realm. (Maybe they'd be made out of Lapis blocks instead. Which would mean they'd have to make that stuff more common)

It would be seamless. No loading. Instead the world would be divided up into 64 high chunks and it would load 2-3 at a time depending on where you are vertically.

AXZUJ.jpg

Okay... so the giant tree idea is a lot more work than I thought. The canopy isn't built so much as it is "grown," so naturally it will be wider on the top. I got a lot more work to do before I just say "burn it." Anyway, it was fun to build, regardless of how it looks. haha

Hey guys. I'm quite new to Minecraft and need some pointers. I have a good grasp on the gameplay, but the only thing I've been doing is grinding away and collecting diamonds. I have a good number of diamonds now (around 150), and a ridiculous amount of cobblestone, wood, dirt and gravel. At what point is it a good time to begin crafting on the surface? I tend to get caught up with the mining for diamonds part, but what the hell do I begin doing with them besides crafting diamond pickaxes and digging for more?

Mik2121

crackhead_bob said:
Hey guys. I'm quite new to Minecraft and need some pointers. I have a good grasp on the gameplay, but the only thing I've been doing is grinding away and collecting diamonds. I have a good number of diamonds now (around 150), and a ridiculous amount of cobblestone, wood, dirt and gravel. At what point is it a good time to begin crafting on the surface? I tend to get caught up with the mining for diamonds part, but what the hell do I begin doing with them besides crafting diamond pickaxes and digging for more?
150 diamonds? Damn....!

Anyway, by the time you had about 40 wood and some basic pickaxe, you were good to go for crafting on the surface :p

If you are new, you should also try playing online. It's exactly the same as singleplayer, but with lots of people around building stuff with you :)

upandaway said:
It's so simple but I never would have thought of it. Did anyone here make any ice structures yet?

Yeah, I made a little igloo castle ages ago, it's a pain in the ass because to have to make a mould for every level;

java2010-07-3001-01-53-94.jpg

You have to use redstone torches too, because normal ones melt the ice, as do furnaces :/

Enco

Hopefully 1.7 brings a LOT to the game.

I haven't played it in a loong time and it would be nice to get back into it. If it's nowhere near as fleshed out as Terraria by this update I'm completely giving up on it.

The underground ravines look pretty sweet though!

150 diamonds? Damn....!

Yep. Used the branch mining technique and found a buttload of them in relatively short period of time.

Anyway, by the time you had about 40 wood and some basic pickaxe, you were good to go for crafting on the surface :p

I didn't want to begin crafting stuctures and land until I had gathered enough resources. I have tons of natural resources, and an impressive array of collected alloys, but I don't know when I should begin using them, or how to use them effectively yet. So I'm stuck mining for diamonds, which is getting old.

If you are new, you should also try playing online. It's exactly the same as singleplayer, but with lots of people around building stuff with you :)

How do I play online?

crackhead_bob said:
Yep. Used the branch mining technique and found a buttload of them in relatively short period of time.

Yikes. With 150 diamonds I hope you stored them somewhere safe. Would suck if you fell into some lava...

Yikes. With 150 diamonds I hope you stored them somewhere safe. Would suck if you fell into some lava...

I've stored them in chests above the surface. Therein lies my problem. My entire surface structures consist of cobblestone warehouses full of chests containing cobblestone, dirt, et al.. I have plenty of cobblestone to use, but they look like rubbish when used for making structures. Alot of the nicer buildings seem to be made of bricks and colored stone, etc.. On average, what resources are used the most?

crackhead_bob said:
I've stored them in chests above the surface. Therein lies my problem. My entire surface structures consist of cobblestone warehouses full of chests containing cobblestone, dirt, et al.. I have plenty of cobblestone to use, but they look like rubbish when used for making structures. Alot of the nicer buildings seem to be made of bricks and colored stone, etc.. On average, what resources are used the most?

I think we play completely opposite. I harvest thousands of blocks flattening and shaping the land around my fort then store them underground. You harvest thousands underground to store in warehouses on the surface :p

My most common building materials are smooth stone half steps/smooth stone/lava&glass. I also really like cobblestone now that I have changed from the default textures.

*edit* Anyone a pro with mcmap? I'm trying to render an area of my world (-300 -1984 to -145 -1869). I keep getting a black image output. Rendering the whole world works great, only have problems with this section (was able to render a section that didnt have coordinates in the negative).

I'm still messing with mcmap. I'm looking at the underground render and only see the caves I have found/lit and the staircases I have built.

When I am exploring on the surface is it generating the underground caves too or are they generated as you dig down?

Vlad

nismogrendel said:
I'm still messing with mcmap. I'm looking at the underground render and only see the caves I have found/lit and the staircases I have built.

When I am exploring on the surface is it generating the underground caves too or are they generated as you dig down?

The game is divided into "chunks" which are 16x16 blocks of terrain. As you explore, the game will generate the entire chunk in one go, from the sky all the way down to the bedrock.

Ranger X

Woorloog said:
Rule 1 one Minecraft: Never just store stuff, mine some, then build, mine more, build more etc... Otherwise you get bored.

Minecraft is about doing whatever you feel like doing - it's a true sandbox.
The guy seems to have a alot of fun mining and that's all good.

Woorloog

Banned
Ranger X said:
Minecraft is about doing whatever you feel like doing - it's a true sandbox.
The guy seems to have a alot of fun mining and that's all good.
True... i have to follow my rule though or i get bored.

Gotta take a pic or two from house on NeoCraft and post them here

I finished building a harbor next to my fort. It's the square thing off to the left. I need to lower the sea floor on a few parts.

All the way to the left is my mob grinder (it sucks/needs redesign), there is an incomplete portal temple right next to it. In the lower right you can see one of my portal temples and tall trees is in the very bottom right corner.

OOUU7.jpg

A link to a slightly bigger version of that map:
http://i.imgur.com/Qxr3y.jpg

bengraven

Ark said:
We could still do that, just build the city else where and move the spawn there.

I haven't touched singleplayer since I started playing multiplayer :eek:

It's all about NeoCraft :cool:

Make it SO Number 1! Whenever you're ready.

AtlusAram said:
We should all live in one big apartment building/dorm, a skyscraper in the middle of the city :)

Aw, it would be like the odd couple!

Vespene

The big "sigh" I have with server maps is that Notch keeps updating the map generation code so stuff like ravines, grass and now NPC villiges won't appear in the already created land. =(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
GT Vespene said:
The big "sigh" I have with server maps is that Notch keeps updating the map generation code so stuff like ravines, grass and now NPC villiges won't appear in the already created land. =(

Minecraft Beta. I'm okay with it now, but when the game is finalized I hope that stops or is at least extremely limited.

Vespene

Mengy said:
Minecraft Beta. I'm okay with it now, but when the game is finalized I hope that stops or is at least extremely limited.

I think that's wishful thinking. Notch has said many times that the "release" version will just be another iteration and that big updates would continue afterwards.

Top Bottom