• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ramma2

I've heard a few mentions of trimming up a world, to refresh new resources and remove unneeded areas. What's the app you use to do this?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:
Eventually, we'll get to the point where it'll make more sense to restart the map.

Really? That's depressing. Wouldn't we want to just migrate to a far off spot with freshly generated chunks and leave the "old" area behind but still there? Or is the file size of the world an issue?

Ark

Woorloog said:
NeoCraft is lagging very baddly. And that floating chest in Al-medina is annoying. We can't destroy it, it's private.

I'll remove it and place it elsewhere :)

I'm not sure what's causing the lag, I'll hop on and check it out.

Ramma2 said:
I've heard a few mentions of trimming up a world, to refresh new resources and remove unneeded areas. What's the app you use to do this?

MCEdit.

Mengy said:
Really? That's depressing. Wouldn't we want to just migrate to a far off spot with freshly generated chunks and leave the "old" area behind but still there? Or is the file size of the world an issue?

It's not really an issue, but it's just a thought. The world will change so much from now to release candidate stage, I'm just thinking aloud really.

Glasswork

seb said:
This is the (spoilerish) image twitted by Notch earlier:
54410145460894360.png

And is the world...curved?

Ark

I can't believe the MCForums are STILL down :(

EDIT:

NeoCraft User Survey!

If you play on NeoCraft, please could you fill out this form, thanks.

I know it's not the greatest form in the world, but it'll do.

bengraven

Doing the survey now.

Pimpbaa said:
I did something similar to your tree idea on Exano's old gaf server. Worst thing was it was perpetually dark under it, so i had monsters all the time roaming around.

That was the one by the North town right? The wizard tower?

Yeah, I set that on fire in my single player Exano map.

Riding on clouds like Monkey might win me back. Game really needs more gamey stuff. Dying wool and pistons and redstone repeaters make for good youtube videos by the severely autistic, but are not much fun for ADD lazy people like me.

bengraven

You know what this game needs? More stuff to mine.

I want to find random treasure maps under a tree and follow them to the "x", then try and dig down to find the chest. I want random treasure chests near the surface.

And like the username of the guy above me, I want fossils.

Ark

Well, I think it's fair to say we wont be opening up to the public with the answers so far :p

------------

Reposting:

NeoCraft User Survey!

If you play on NeoCraft, please could you fill out this form, thanks.

I know it's not the greatest form in the world, but it'll do.

Venfayth

There have always been a few mods that cause the world to "bend" as you look at the horizon, I think it's a really great effect, although sometimes it can look weird. For example if you were digging a mining shaft as far as the eye can see, you might notice it start to curve inwards down at the end, which can be kind of ... odd looking.

If they do implement it officially, I hope it'll be toggle-able.

bengraven

Looks like there's some room down south in the snow areas. I might make something there.

Will finally finish the castle I started but grew bored of months ago up there as well. It's an eyesore and every time I check the map and see someone in my castle I feel self-concious.

Jasoco

Banned
seb said:
This is the (spoilerish) image twitted by Notch earlier:
Holy shit. I had to actually up the brightness to figure out what it was...

Here's a brightened version for anyone who can't tell what it is...

http://imgur.com/JQXWd

Audioboxer

Really interested in the Adventure updates whenever they hit. I love Terraria because I enjoy gaming elements, building get's stale for me, however imagining something similar to Terarria in a 3D world is :drool:

2D works well, has it's charm and is pretty awesome, but 3D exploration just kicks ass...

The Adventure updates for Minecraft are sure to make me buy it.

gamelova

HenryHSH: So, I found out about the height limit yesterday reading this thread. Hit the Y axis limit building the mosque dome. Ark, if you can maybe check out a tool called OMEN, it has an option to change the default Y axis block limit. The tool is a little outdated, but it still works for most people. No harm in using an outdated backup map file to test it, right?

If not, I can always reduce the dome size from 39 to 26.
I'd like to maintain the "epicness" of the structure, but it's no big deal either way.

Ark

gamelova said:
HenryHSH: So, I found out about the height limit yesterday reading this thread. Hit the Y axis limit building the mosque dome. Ark, if you can maybe check out a tool called OMEN, it has an option to change the default Y axis block limit. The tool is a little outdated, but it still works for most people. No harm in using an outdated backup map file to test it, right?

If not, I can always reduce the dome size from 39 to 26.
I'd like to maintain the "epicness" of the structure, but it's no big deal either way.

I'm not sure that'll work with Multiplay, but I'll check it out & get back to you.

Ranger X

can we even see the whole in the dome? I mean, if it's not really noticeable, leave it like that? Or maybe you absolutely wanted to go inside the dome?
Another option is to fake it smaller from inside. Outside you leave it at 39...

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
I have been on, but you have not, I started hollowing out one of my mountains as well as started building a castle in the nether.

TnT is not evil when placed in the right hands! ; )

Vespene

I like the curved horizon, with a good computer you could get zero pop-in since the environment comes up from the horizon instead of poping!

BaDJuJU said:
I have been on, but you have not, I started hollowing out one of my mountains as well as started building a castle in the nether.

TnT is not evil when placed in the right hands! ; )

Like, you can't 'own' a mountain, man.

Is there any solid info/video on how wood/lava interact? I have a section of my base, it has a layer of lava, on top of that is a layer of glass and on top of the glass is a layer of water. I wanted to put some planks and/or logs on the water layer, but I don't know if the lava 2 layers down will light the wood.

I tried placing the wood before I added the water, sometimes it would catch fire and other times it wouldn't. Is it just random or is there a science to it?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toma said:
What do people plan to do with pistons anyway?
Edit: I dont mean theoretical, fun but useless uses, but useful uses for enhancing our fortress, traps whatever.
Secret paths that unfold when you push a button.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Toma said:

Windows that close, intriguing doors, controlling water and lava flows, conveyor belts, and lots of things I'm sure I haven't even thought of or imagined yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Toma said:
Edit: I dont mean theoretical, fun but useless uses, but useful uses for enhancing our fortress, traps whatever.

portal levels

although practically i'm holding off updating unless I see something very cool and useful. Only just updated to 1.6 with worldedit/bukkit

Vlad

Toma said:

Just take a look at what's out there now on youtube. While the mod wont' work EXACTLY the same (it won't launch blocks or players, for example), there's still plenty of possibilities.

For an extreme example, here's a 5x5 doorway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbaqlxorpDY

If nothing else, it gives us something new to play with, and a desperately needed additional use for redstone. Being able to have structures with moving parts will add a whole new layer of creativity to things.

Personally, my big hope is that Jeb changes how chained pistons work compared to the original mod. In the mod, a piston will only push a non-extended piston, and will only extend on the rising edge of a redstone current. So, if you push a piston next to a redstone wire which then activates, it's fine, but if you push a piston onto a redstone wire that's already on, then the moved piston won't activate.

From my minor experimentation with the mod, this has made chained sticky pistons a PAIN to work with. You not only have to get the redstone wires in each spot to turn on in sequence, but you have to get them to turn off in reverse order. It's doable, but it's rather messy to get working well. From reading his twitter account, it seems that the pistons are still going to only push non-extended pistons, but a good workaround would be to have sticky pistons ONLY retract when the piston in front of them is retracted and the current is off.

According to Notch, 1.7 is coming this week (yay!), so it won't be long before we start playing with all this good stuff ourselves.

Top Bottom