• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

EVIL

me and my wife want to explore a good mine craft server, any recommendations? we want a basic survival server with mobs, and the ability to lock chests, since our previous adventure resulted in everything stolen!
Ideally I would like to join a GAF server, but my wife doesn't have an approved account here yet (registered almost a year ago I think)

Woorloog

Banned
EVIL said:
Ideally I would like to join a GAF server, but my wife doesn't have an approved account here yet (registered almost a year ago I think)
This reminds me, i have friend who's planning to buy MC and we'd like to play MP togheter but making our own server is not really feasible (nor fun really)... He's not forum goers sort, i'd never get him to bother registering to NeoGaf so i'm wondering if i could invite him to NeoCraft?
I understand (as does he) completly if the answer's no.

Ramma2

EVIL and Woorloog, I have a small, private server if you're interested in joining. PM me if you'd like and I'll send full server details and a link to the current world map.

Ark

Woorloog said:
This reminds me, i have friend who's planning to buy MC and we'd like to play MP togheter but making our own server is not really feasible (nor fun really)... He's not forum goers sort, i'd never get him to bother registering to NeoGaf so i'm wondering if i could invite him to NeoCraft?

Of course! The server isn't strictly for GAF'ers, it's a GAF & friends server :)

BitchTits

After completely ignoring this game for so long because I don't really game on PC, I've been watching the Yogscast videos on youtube and was enthrawled by the game, so I have to buy it soon. I'm a bit tied up with Demon's Souls at the moment, but I can see myself just being consumed by this!

Orlandu84

Wow. Pistons. I never even thought about pistons when I was playing. I had stopped playing Minecraft about five months ago because too much was going on in real life. Now I find a treasure trove of new features awaiting me :)

Woorloog

Banned
Ark said:
Of course! The server isn't strictly for GAF'ers, it's a GAF & friends server :)
Nice... i'll tell him when i see him.

@Ramma2: I'll consider this but since i have some projects going on NeoCraft i doubt i'm coming.

EVIL

Woorloog said:
what is this, neoCraft?

guest1321

9 People on neocraft today! It was a nice change to see the server getting some use!
Also, I switched back to the default texture pack today and I am fairly surprised by how pleasant it was.

Ark

guest1321 said:
9 People on neocraft today! It was a nice change to see the server getting some use!
Also, I switched back to the default texture pack today and I am fairly surprised by how pleasant it was.

Yeah I'm getting a bit bored of Minecraft4Kids and other packs..I may give the default pack a new chance, or go back to the 16/32x packs.

EDIT:

What do people think about adding a whitelist? Basically, we've had some griefing lately and it's getting more and more serious. Initially, what we'll do is add all the currently active & proven people to the whitelist initially (and 'old' inactive people, like mik2121 etc).

Just thinking out loud again.

pirata

Ark said:
Yeah I'm getting a bit bored of Minecraft4Kids and other packs..I may give the default pack a new chance, or go back to the 16/32x packs.

EDIT:

What do people think about adding a whitelist? Basically, we've had some griefing lately and it's getting more and more serious. Initially, what we'll do is add all the currently active & proven people to the whitelist initially (and 'old' inactive people, like mik2121 etc).

Just thinking out loud again.

I'd be okay with that, as long as I'm on the list, of course ;)

EVIL said:
Some RPG elements if I am correct, no building tho, nor mining.
No, that's different. He has an eventually Adventure Mode planned, which is what you're describing, different from this Adventure Update.

Toma said:
What do people plan to do with pistons anyway?
Edit: I dont mean theoretical, fun but useless uses, but useful uses for enhancing our fortress, traps whatever.
This:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTZMU90CJRU

Vlad

Woorloog said:
You know the standard pistons won't work like those in the mod?

The self building/repairing cobble stuff should work the same, though.

As far as I know from following the tweets, the only differences are that official pistons don't launch players/monsters/animals like the mod ones do, and the max blocks pushed is a little smaller than the 16 in the mod.

Woorloog

Banned
Vlad said:
The self building/repairing cobble stuff should work the same, though.

As far as I know from following the tweets, the only differences are that official pistons don't launch players/monsters/animals like the mod ones do, and the max blocks pushed is a little smaller than the 16 in the mod.
Whoah, MC pistons will move block rows?
Do you think we can convince Notch to make "glue" that we can use to glue blocks togheter so that a sticky piston will move the whole row, not just one block?

Vlad

Woorloog said:
Whoah, MC pistons will move block rows?
Do you think we can convince Notch to make "glue" that we can use to glue blocks togheter so that a sticky piston will move the whole row, not just one block?

Well, the mod ones do (up to 16 blocks), and I haven't heard anything about the official ones NOT doing it, so I assumed that they would have the same functionality.

I was actually thinking about something similar to the glue block you mentioned the other day. Some way to make groups of blocks that could be moved by a single piston would be awesome. I thought of so many interesting ideas that it could be used for that I'm thinking of doing some tinkering with it to see if I could make a mod that would do it.

Woorloog

Banned
Hmm... i wonder if we could make a mech, moving one...
I mean with "glue". Because without that, sticky piston will pull back only one block.

Vlad

Woorloog said:
Hmm... i wonder if we could make a mech, moving one...
I mean with "glue". Because without that, sticky piston will pull back only one block.

Uh...

Even WITH this theoretical block that would stick other blocks together for pistons to push, it's not like you could use it to make a vehicle or anything, the blocks would still get pushed back and forth from the piston.

Personally, I just want to make the Minecraft equivalent of the Game of Thrones opening.

Woorloog

Banned
What about pistons moving pistons... wait, nevermind, i'll drop it. Too complicated.

GOT intro using MC? Holy... Note blocks should play GOT theme.

bengraven

My new favorite texture pack:

ump9w_114311.jpg

z9ut8_114287.jpg

1vmorh_114283.jpg

http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/sphax-purebdcraft-46664/

I took a few pics of the Sphax texture pack on my fort. I think it looks ok, but I will probably go back to using the doku pack.

Day:
http://i.imgur.com/hGj7w.jpg

Night:
http://i.imgur.com/57O0n.jpg

nismogrendel said:
Is there any solid info/video on how wood/lava interact? I have a section of my base, it has a layer of lava, on top of that is a layer of glass and on top of the glass is a layer of water. I wanted to put some planks and/or logs on the water layer, but I don't know if the lava 2 layers down will light the wood.

I tried placing the wood before I added the water, sometimes it would catch fire and other times it wouldn't. Is it just random or is there a science to it?

No one answered that so I made this half ass test:

http://i.imgur.com/9sPck.jpg

1 Layer of lava, 1 layer of glass, 1 layer of water on top of glass. There are planks placed directly above a spawn and a lava flow and the same with the logs. I also threw 2 boats into the watre and neither burned.

I left the game running for about an hour and none of this caught fire... so I guess it's safe.

Now that the lava test is done, I went ahead and built my underground dock. It has 4 lanes to park boats. Hopefully my test was accurate and this thing doesn't burn down...

Only one tunnel to the ocean so far, still need to connect the other oceans/lakes to this tunnel.

http://i.imgur.com/YU6tV.jpg

Vlad

Woorloog said:
What about pistons moving pistons... wait, nevermind, i'll drop it. Too complicated.

GOT intro using MC? Holy... Note blocks should play GOT theme.

Here, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJr86d2IUo&feature=channel_video_title

That's a video that Mojang posted a little bit ago showing the actual official pistons. Should give you a decent idea of the capabilities. There's a multi-stage door at one point that does have pistons pushing pistons, so it is possible.

bengraven

We're going to make some awesome things with pistons.

I wish some of the guys I used to MC with would join the server. They were so insanely mechanical with red stone and would do some truly wonderous things on NeoCraft.

nismogrendel said:
I took a few pics of the Sphax texture pack on my fort. I think it looks ok, but I will probably go back to using the doku pack.

Day:
http://i.imgur.com/hGj7w.jpg

Night:
http://i.imgur.com/57O0n.jpg

See, that reminds me of my only two complaints about it. The smooth and cobble stones are both really minimalized and actually boring. That's important to me, since both are used for building so frequently. It's also the biggest reason I stopped using the Animal Crossing pack because of the stone textures were really really bad.

And as the poster above said, the wood textures are oddly diagnal, but I like it. I don't like how the fences also are diagnal, but I'm suspecting fences share the same texture as blocks so it's unavoidable.

notch :
Trickling information about the Adventure Update
Since 1.8 is still a significant time away, we’re going to have to stop being as secretive about it as we have. We’ll provide information about it as we go, but we’ll keep actual details secret. So, for example, we could say “added two new colors” without saying which ones, or “testing experience and leveling to see if it’s fun” without giving details on exactly how it works.

The update is pretty big, and will change a lot of how Minecraft is played, focusing on making exploration and combat much more rewarding, and bringing in a bigger sense of adventure to the game.

Already implemented are new complex terrain features, at least one new mob, some interesting new combat mechanics, a new lighting engine, and some experimental new gameplay ideas. To come is more interesting farming, bigger incentives to explore, and npc villages.

posted 12 minutes ago

The demo uses just under 1GB of ram on my PC, is this normal? I'm a little worried about playing it for a long time with such a high memory useage (PC gaming noob).

Vlad

Red Liquorice said:
The demo uses just under 1GB of ram on my PC, is this normal? I'm a little worried about playing it for a long time with such a high memory useage (PC gaming noob).

Yeah, that's pretty much how the game works.

And...er.. it's not like using that amount of memory for a "long time" will have any detrimental effect or anything.

Talamius

Acullis said:
NPCs? Yes. NPC villages? Dear lord, I need new pants.
NPC villages can be really cool when done right. Not sure if it is updated for 1.6.6, but Millenaire was an awesome SSP that added full NPC villages with their own economies with NPCs that would harvest and mine on their own and build. Hopefully that is the direction Notch is going.

Vlad said:
Yeah, that's pretty much how the game works.

And...er.. it's not like using that amount of memory for a "long time" will have any detrimental effect or anything.
haha, OK that's good to hear - I did say I was a PC gaming noob!

Vlad

Chinner said:
New combat mechanics? I wonder if he's adding in the ability to block?

He did mention a while back that he wanted to have weapon swings do more damage if you're falling downward. So if you jump and then swing while falling down from it, you'll hit harder.

I'd like to see bows act differently, too. Something similar to the bow in TF2 would be nice.

I wonder if he's going to be borrowing any ideas from the MCMMO plugin. Having individual skill levels for each weapon type (unarmed, bows, swords, axes) with different abilities for each would be nice.

NPC villages can be really cool when done right. Not sure if it is updated for 1.6.6, but Millenaire was an awesome SSP that added full NPC villages with their own economies with NPCs that would harvest and mine on their own and build. Hopefully that is the direction Notch is going.

I saw the Yogscast video on that, and something similar does seem like it'd be interesting. Still, part of me is going to miss the total desolation of the game as it is now.

haha, OK that's good to hear - I did say I was a PC gaming noob!

Heh, it's no problem.

Once any program is done using a given amount of RAM, it frees it back up for other programs to use, so it's not like it's a finite resource or anything.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh man... i manage to set my house on fire... Luckily it's most sandstone, lost some handrails (fences) and 4 blocks of yellow wool. Fire spreads pretty fast... I was going to make fireplaces (netherrack-fires of course)... now i don't know what i'm gonna do in their place. *sigh*

Vlad said:
Here, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJr86d2IUo&feature=channel_video_title

That's a video that Mojang posted a little bit ago showing the actual official pistons. Should give you a decent idea of the capabilities. There's a multi-stage door at one point that does have pistons pushing pistons, so it is possible.
I've seen the video but remember that a piston that's extended CANNOT be moved. IIRC.

Enco

Sounds like a good update.

More loot (not the same boring weapon types) is a must. There's zero need for exploration if there's nothing to look for. Pretty environments are nice but not enough. We need crazy rare weapons such as flame whips etc.

At least things are heading in the right direction now.

edit: ambient sounds are also a must (birds, trees, wind and water).

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I almost feel like I'm wasting my time playing now that I know such wonderful things are coming along. :S

Venfayth

kinoki said:
I almost feel like I'm wasting my time playing now that I know such wonderful things are coming along. :S

Haha yeah. I keep wanting to start a new world, but then I'm repelled by the thought that I know I'm going to start a new world as soon as the adventure patch comes along. I'll have to suppress my creativity until that arrives.

Woorloog

Banned
Why isn't the mob grinder active on NeoCraft? I'm no expert on them but it did seem like it was sabotaged. I mean, why would someone block it?
Also, the lag's "bad" (not as bad as a few days ago) again but that might be just me, or does downloading something while playing MC SMP cause lag for that person?

Ranger X

Woorloog said:
Why isn't the mob grinder active on NeoCraft? I'm no expert on them but it did seem like it was sabotaged. I mean, why would someone block it?
Also, the lag's "bad" (not as bad as a few days ago) again but that might be just me, or does downloading something while playing MC SMP cause lag for that person?

What's happening? It was working yesterday evening...

Vlad

Woorloog said:

Uhhh... yeah, there's your problem.

New to gaming online? Downloading something while playing an online game will pretty much kill your connection.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Acullis said:
Haha yeah. I keep wanting to start a new world, but then I'm repelled by the thought that I know I'm going to start a new world as soon as the adventure patch comes along. I'll have to suppress my creativity until that arrives.

Yea, currently I'm just expanding the tunnels under my island home. It's pretty boring but I'm looking forward to 1.7 when I'll really start playing again.

Woorloog

Banned
Vlad said:
Uhhh... yeah, there's your problem.

New to gaming online? Downloading something while playing an online game will pretty much kill your connection.
I was asking if that's normal for Minecraft. I have quite fast connection and i generally have no issues downloading and playing something. At least if play on Xbox over Live.

EDIT actually, the issue might be Steam or something else using too much system resources... Or maybe the laptop's overheating...
EDIT2 My (wireless) mouse is lagging, just changed the battery to a charged one... gaah. Oh and been online gaming for a long time. Just that DLing something and playing hasn't usually caused that much lag for me. As far as i can remember...

Ark

You know that Yogscast episode with the LOST map thing? Yeah...I've now downloaded all 6 seasons and I'm watching through em, just finished season 1 :p

I can't believe I'm actually enjoying a show I used to slam people about for watching.

Jasoco

Banned
Ark said:
You know that Yogscast episode with the LOST map thing? Yeah...I've now downloaded all 6 seasons and I'm watching through em, just finished season 1 :p

I can't believe I'm actually enjoying a show I used to slam people about for watching.
I did the same thing. Except I haven't started watching yet. I even got all the specials and stuff.

Top Bottom