• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Juravsky

Talamius said:
NPC villages can be really cool when done right. Not sure if it is updated for 1.6.6, but Millenaire was an awesome SSP that added full NPC villages with their own economies with NPCs that would harvest and mine on their own and build. Hopefully that is the direction Notch is going.

It is updated and it is pure awesomeness. Now you even have reputation with the different villages and that affects the trade system. I really hope Notch gets some inspiration of that mod.

Jasoco

Banned
So 1.7 is just a quickie update to tide people over until the real Adventure update comes out in 1.8 instead. I guess I could live with that. Not sure if I'll start my new world yet though since the 1.8 would most certainly bring a lot more than pistons, shears and what I assume is an awesome fence on fence feature that will make it possible to build your fence structures from the ground up now instead of having to build top down. Halle-fricking-lujahs!

But I can live with that!

Shears??? Could it be the ability to place leaves anywhere to make bushes and hedges??!!

Ark

Jasoco said:
So 1.7 is just a quickie update to tide people over until the real Adventure update comes out in 1.8 instead. I guess I could live with that. Not sure if I'll start my new world yet though since the 1.8 would most certainly bring a lot more than pistons, shears and what I assume is an awesome fence on fence feature that will make it possible to build your fence structures from the ground up now instead of having to build top down. ! Halle-fricking-lujahs!

But I can live with that!

Shears???

Why don't you hop on the NeoCraft server? Play with some other GAF'ers.

Jasoco

Banned
Ark said:
I was there once. I haven't been in forever!

Maybe if I get bored of Tiny Tower today I'll come back in. Is the server compatible with the latest update and is it the same address?

Because if they can make the SMP work the same as SSP, I'm there!

Venfayth

Ark said:

I tried but there was quite a big delay. :[

edit: I just checked, it's a European server, huh? That's probably why >_<

Ark

Jasoco said:
I was there once. I haven't been in forever!

Maybe if I get bored of Tiny Tower today I'll come back in. Is the server compatible with the latest update and is it the same address?

Because if they can make the SMP work the same as SSP, I'm there!

Yeah of course!

Acullis said:
I tried but there was quite a big delay. :[

edit: I just checked, it's a European server, huh? That's probably why >_<

Our US users have little to no lag. The server has been lagging a bit lately, although I've got a feeling it's the increasing file map size again.

Jasoco

Banned
Does NeoCraft have a mass transit minecart system yet? I've been experimenting with stations and rails and wouldn't mind maybe helping to build one based on my plans when I perfect the design. I just wish MineCraft had a detector rail that could detect when a cart was empty. It could be above ground or below if need be, it would have dual rails side by side like a highway. One direction for one way, the other for the other. So it would probably be safe for more than one user at once providing no stray carts escape. (Since they're slower, even though they would make it to their destination, they would cause problems for riders. Which is why I need an empty cart detector. Can't believe they took that out.)

Ark

Jasoco said:
Does NeoCraft have a mass transit minecart system yet? I've been experimenting with stations and rails and wouldn't mind maybe helping to build one based on my plans when I perfect the design. I just wish MineCraft had a detector rail that could detect when a cart was empty. It could be above ground or below if need be, it would have dual rails side by side like a highway. One direction for one way, the other for the other. So it would probably be safe for more than one user at once providing no stray carts escape. (Since they're slower, even though they would make it to their destination, they would cause problems for riders. Which is why I need an empty cart detector. Can't believe they took that out.)

I've been planning to build one for quite some time, it was going to be one of the first things I do when we create the new spawn when 1.7 hits.

You're more than welcome to start one though :)

Ranger X

How do you plan to make this work Ark?
I always thought the tunnel from Booty Bay to spawn was messy. People never put back the carts in the chests and most carts are lying on the track somewhere down the tunnel making the whole thing frustrating to use.

Ark

Ranger X said:
How do you plan to make this work Ark?
I always thought the tunnel from Booty Bay to spawn was messy. People never put back the carts in the chests and most carts are lying on the track somewhere down the tunnel making the whole thing frustrating to use.

Because it was never started. A tunnel with some carts and a chest is not a fully functional minecart system. I was planning on building bridges, since they're easier than digging tunnels, and a damn sight more fun to ride on than going through a seemingly endless tunnel.

On my old server, me and Kyaw spent a good 9+ hours working on an automated minecart system. It would chuck out empty carts when needed, it would let people out and then take the cart back into a cart dispenser.

It's probably the thing I'm most proud of making. Shame we didn't have anything to connect it to :l

Vespene

Would a self running minecart system work on a server?

I built a system with carts that run themselves regardless if someone rides them or not, similar to a metro station. The carts stopped at each station every minute or so, then stayed there for 10 seconds, then departed to the next stop.

Ark

GT Vespene said:

I built a system with carts that run themselves regardless if someone rides them or not, similar to a metro station. The carts stopped at each station every minute or so, then stayed there for 10 seconds, then departed to the next stop.

Sure it would..Most everything that works in single player, works in multiplayer.

Jasoco

Banned
GT Vespene said:

Doesn't that cause problems when there are no riders? Since unoccupied carts move much slower than occupied ones. If they all ran at same speed, I'd just make a monorail. I wish they'd fix it so carts move the same speed regardless. It would make it MUCH easier. And would remove the need for pretty much every mechanical aspect and replace it with timers.

Ark said:
I've been planning to build one for quite some time, it was going to be one of the first things I do when we create the new spawn when 1.7 hits.

You're more than welcome to start one though :)
I would like to do some tests on the server. But where would I get the materials? I'd need a lot of dirt (For test structure), redstone, redstone torches, minecarts of all three types, buttons and pressure plates and of course minecarts. And some trap doors (For the PEZ dispenser). Would I need to mine all this myself, or is there a mad scientist on the server hoarding a buttload of that crap?

I would build a prototype in a remote location, then use that blueprint for each station. Thing is, would we have two stations, or more? Because if you add more, you either need to add switcher stations (Which would cause traffic) or just a single central multi-grand-central-station in the main hub with branches to the North, South, East and West. (Which would make it a total of 8 stations needed.)

Ark

Jasoco said:
I would like to do some tests on the server. But where would I get the materials? I'd need a lot of dirt (For test structure), redstone, redstone torches, minecarts of all three types, buttons and pressure plates and of course minecarts. And some trap doors (For the PEZ dispenser). Would I need to mine all this myself, or is there a mad scientist on the server hoarding a buttload of that crap?

I would build a prototype in a remote location, then use that blueprint for each station. Thing is, would we have two stations, or more? Because if you add more, you either need to add switcher stations (Which would cause traffic) or just a single central multi-grand-central-station in the main hub with branches to the North, South, East and West. (Which would make it a total of 8 stations needed.)

You would have to collect the stuff yourself, it is survival after all :)

Jasoco

Banned
Ark said:
Well that sounds like loads of awesome fun.

Were you going to start it after 1.7, or after the Adventure update which is still a ways off? Are there plans on restarting NeoCraft any time soon? Or are we safe for a while?

bengraven

Hey guys, check this out:

"notch Markus Persson
Also, if you want to, you can make mods able to enter creative mode on a server running in another game mode."

Who ISN"T going to create a dungeon inside your castle that people can access to go inside and play?

Ark said:

Also, there's a lot of great starter stuff in the community chests. Don't go to chance though because there's nothing there. ;)

Jasoco

Banned
GT Vespene said:
Vacant carts ran at the same speed as manned ones as long as the entire track was boosted.
How do you mean? Every track is a booster? Or every few? Because I think every track being boosted would be ugly and just.. well, ugly. And I am an asthetics man. I can't stand anything that doesn't look good.

Ark

Jasoco said:
Well that sounds like loads of awesome fun.

Were you going to start it after 1.7, or after the Adventure update which is still a ways off? Are there plans on restarting NeoCraft any time soon? Or are we safe for a while?

Cmooon, don't you read the thread? You post on almost every page.

NeoCraft wont be restarted unless it's a unanimous vote or something unexpected happens. Plan is to create the new spawn as soon as the server switches over to 1.7, which shouldn't be too long after 1.7 officially hits.

GT Vespene said:

I don't think this would work because if I recall, things stop working outside active chunks in multiplayer.

bengraven

ArtistDude88 said:
I don't think this would work because if I recall, things stop working outside active chunks in multiplayer.

I think all chunks are considered active once they've loaded...the world computates what's going on even without someone nearby.

Ranger X

bengraven said:
Hey guys, check this out:

"notch Markus Persson
Also, if you want to, you can make mods able to enter creative mode on a server running in another game mode."

Who ISN"T going to create a dungeon inside your castle that people can access to go inside and play?

Also, there's a lot of great starter stuff in the community chests. Don't go to chance though because there's nothing there. ;)

Hmmm.... so is this a clear hint that there will be an "adventure mode"? We would have "survival, create and adventure". They could seperate that and make a new step in the menu when you create a world, or something.

Vlad

bengraven said:
I think all chunks are considered active once they've loaded...the world computates what's going on even without someone nearby.

Unless that's changed in the last patch, that's a negative.

If nobody's near enough to the chunk, it basically goes inactive. Trees and crops won't grow, minecarts don't move, etc.

Vlad

Everybody needs to take a look at this. It's the Yogscast's latest MC-related video, and showcases the mod Better Than Wolves, and it's AWESOME:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVVrZqHqA8&feature=channel_video_title

First: I'm absolutely blown away by seeing something rotate in Minecraft. It's just so odd to see, but it looks awesome.

Second: This is one hell of a mod, from the looks of it. Aside from the concrete bucket thing, I'm loving every idea in there. As that video goes on and on, there's just one interesting thing after another.

So far BuildCraft had my pick for "mod I'd like to see included in MC next", but this might just dethrone it. Off to install it now...

If Notch incorporates the boring old pistons mod he has GOT to incorporate that. Windmills and waterwheels are essential. I'd like to see a lighthouse too.

r1chard

fossil coast said:
If Notch incorporates the boring old pistons mod he has GOT to incorporate that. Windmills and waterwheels are essential. I'd like to see a lighthouse too.
The rope! And winch! And that detector block! And the saw! (different block sizes and shapes!) DONUTS!!!

And the companion cube had me lol'ing, especially when he minced it

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
Everybody needs to take a look at this. It's the Yogscast's latest MC-related video, and showcases the mod Better Than Wolves, and it's AWESOME:

Oh my sweet dear baby lord Jebus. Mojang needs to hire the designer of this mod STAT. Or get mod support in so I can install it. Because when 1.8 comes out, I want to be playing with that shit.

I had an idea for rope a week ago and had a different implementation. Not sure I like how it's done here, but it's still very useful and needs to make it in. Especially with underground caverns coming.

All the little ideas like the saw and gears and the decorative wood blocks that I would kill to have and the detector that could be useful for nighttime alarms and the elevators and the culdron and the adorable wolf block that explodes into a flurry of love.

And the lights! The LIGHTS! That can be POWERED! I WANT THEM!

Qwomo

Vlad said:

First: I'm absolutely blown away by seeing something rotate in Minecraft. It's just so odd to see, but it looks awesome.

Second: This is one hell of a mod, from the looks of it. Aside from the concrete bucket thing, I'm loving every idea in there. As that video goes on and on, there's just one interesting thing after another.

So far BuildCraft had my pick for "mod I'd like to see included in MC next", but this might just dethrone it. Off to install it now...
Seeing stuff like this just makes me despise the way Notch currently handles Minecraft.

Vlad said:

Oh man, that's brilliant. I've always wanted a windmill too...

But it kind of makes me sad at the same time. To think we only get a handful of things about every 2 months or so from Mojang...
Jeb_ said:
1.7 will include pistons, shears, redstone->repeater fix and fences on fences. It will not include the new lighting
*cough*

But people are pretty much making 3 times as much in the same time span.

This better than wolves mod looks amazing (10 mins into video so far).

I'm guessing you have to start a new map to play it? It would be cool to add this stuff to my current fort.

Vlad

nismogrendel said:
This better than wolves mod looks amazing (10 mins into video so far).

I'm guessing you have to start a new map to play it? It would be cool to add this stuff to my current fort.

Well, there's nothing new in the way of minerals, so you SHOULD be able to use it in a current map. Still, once you've added some of the BTW features to an existing map, it might not be usable any more without the mod installed.

I'm just going to make a copy of my SP world to check out the BTW stuff.

I think it has become pretty clear that, as great as Notch as done with the game, it isn't going to truly shine without mods. I do understand that vanilla Minecraft is all some people want, but once the API is released we are going to see a lot of amazing things made available.

bengraven

I don't know, bro, it's shined quite a bit without them. That's what's attracted so many people, who put in so many hours. I mean, many of us have put in 100s of hours without mods so far. Well, without major mods - I'm not counting server mods like "message of the day". lol

That said, I do wonder how many people are going to treat MC like Oblivion and respond to inquiries with "don't even TRy to play MC without mods...the game is UNPLAYABLE".

bengraven said:
I don't know, bro, it's shined quite a bit without them. That's what's attracted so many people, who put in so many hours. I mean, many of us have put in 100s of hours without mods so far. Well, without major mods - I'm not counting server mods like "message of the day". lol

That said, I do wonder how many people are going to treat MC like Oblivion and respond to inquiries with "don't even TRy to play MC without mods...the game is UNPLAYABLE".

After I posted I was worried I would be misinterpretted. I have never used any mods and have put in 100s of hours. I am that exact person. I just used poor phrasing. This game already shines, rather the mod support will raise it to something else. I apologize for my poor phrasing, let's pretend english is my second language.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Vlad said:

My Lord, so many good ideas in that mod. I think I'd like to see everything in that mod incorporated into the game. Except for the cement bucket, or maybe tone it down at least. And except for the wolf block, that's just kind of silly. Nah, on second thought keep it in, lol.

I think the day will certainly come when I play MC heavily modded, and I mean heavily. The mod community just seems to be able to add awesome content better than Notch can. I mean I will always credit him for making a wonderful game that is the absolute best bang for my buck game I have ever bought, EVER. But like someone said, it's kind of like the Elder Scroll series. Bethesda makes an awesome game, but the mod people make it deeper and better and worth playing for a very long time. I think MC is going to progress the same way in time. Unless Notch really starts to pick up his pace of adding content and expanding the game...

A few things modders have done that I feel MC needs badly:

- this BTW mod. Just put it all in.
- the birds mod. That one is done so stupidly well and adds so much atmosphere, I wish Notch would just add it to the core already
- the more mobs mod. A greater variety in mobs, especially deep underground, would add much flavor.
- a stained glass mod would rule, and it would be so easy to add in

I get giddy just thinking what the mod community is going to do with this game years from now...

v0mitg0d

I have a MP Minecraft server on my home network so my wife and I can play together, but now that some of our friends are playing the game we'd like for them to join us.

Has anyone moved a MP server into their DMZ? I don't have a static IP so I assume I need to check out DyDNS and register there? What ports do I punch through the firewall?

I could totally google this but then I wouldnt have anything to talk about here. :p

Top Bottom