• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Haven't played minecraft much in months, but I just installed The Yogbox and messed around with it briefly, and it seems amazing. Within 5 minutes I ran into a bear, sold some wood at the village to earn some money, saw fish in the ocean, etc.

bengraven

Awesome Animals said:
After I posted I was worried I would be misinterpretted. I have never used any mods and have put in 100s of hours. I am that exact person. I just used poor phrasing. This game already shines, rather the mod support will raise it to something else. I apologize for my poor phrasing, let's pretend english is my second language.

No no no, please don't take it as I was offended what you said.

Just the way you said it made me think of those people who hate games pre-mod, but I didn't think you were saying that.

GDJustin said:
Haven't played minecraft much in months, but I just installed The Yogbox and messed around with it briefly, and it seems amazing. Within 5 minutes I ran into a bear, sold some wood at the village to earn some money, saw fish in the ocean, etc.

I might use this mod for my single player game. Sounds awesome.

I need to make a new world anyway.

CaVaYeRo said:
They're still experimenting with touch controls for iOS, but first finishing traditional Xperia version. The guy's around this week, so feel free to ask ;)

I'm just glad an iOS version will be released. Who needs employment anyways :)

bengraven

Ha, FINALLY finished the interior of my castle. Even did some landscaping. Screw it, until he adds actual tables, I'm finished.

Jasoco

Banned
GDJustin said:
I just installed it too. Wow this is awesome. Dammit, Notch. This stuff should be part of the game! I really hope they implement the Better than Wolves Mod into this box.

Only problem is the Element mod really does cause lag. Which part is that? The NPC village? Edit: Damn, it's the animals. That's the best part! I hope they can fix that lag!

Locke562

Jasoco said:
I just installed it too. Wow this is awesome. Dammit, Notch. This stuff should be part of the game! I really hope they implement the Better than Wolves Mod into this box.

Only problem is the Element mod really does cause lag. Which part is that? The NPC village?

There was some kind of pissing match/hissy fit between the creator(s) of the better than wolves mod and the yogbox creators on the official forums and their respective fans so that doesn't seem likely, sadly.

Jasoco

Banned
Locke562 said:
There was some kind of pissing match/hissy fit between the creator(s) of the better than wolves mod and the yogbox creators on the official forums and their respective fans so that doesn't seem likely, sadly.
Why? Will it still be able to be installed next to it?

Seems if I remove Environment, I lose all the awesome stuff which sucks. The NPC village was pretty neat. But all the animals were better. Damn lag.

Still, I want that BTW mod so bad. Does it come with a JAR based installer? Those are much better than having to manually install it.

I just want official Mod support so I can install all this stuff with drag and drop.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
24fjygg.jpg

I really love the area I'm building in right now. There are massive tunnels underneath this mountain. I've probably taken about 500 blocks of steel out of there along with 20 diamonds and close to 100 gold bricks. It may become my new base of operations.

Grinchy

Banned
bengraven said:
Ha, FINALLY finished the interior of my castle. Even did some landscaping. Screw it, until he adds actual tables, I'm finished.
I don't generally jump on the "HEY NOTCH, GET TO WORK" crowd, but what in the hell is taking him so long to make craftable furniture?

Jasoco

Banned
Seriously. I bet one of them could whip it up in a days time. They could make it so you use a different type of crafting table too. I just want actual chairs and tables instead of stairs with signs and wood stumps.

The modding community is working so much faster than him. I bet if it were open-sourced right now, it'd be lightyears ahead by this time next year.

Notch, I love you, but damn.

It's like when Apple released the iPhone without any way of creating apps. WebApps are the SDK! But people figured out a way to make apps. Actual apps. And they did it. Then a year later Apple implemented an actual SDK and App Store. Now the iDevices are phenominal.

If they could at least get modding support built-in, I'd forgive the slow core progress providing mods are safe from as many broken things as possible. They should release modding support, then work with Mod developers ahead of time when new versions are coming out so mod updates can be available from day 1 instead of a few days later.

pirata

Yeah, I wish I could use some of these mods, but installing mods has always been too difficult for a computer-illiterate idiot like me. Also, If I got them to work, I would have no idea how to uninstall them (as I'm sure an official update would probably break them).

atre324

Jasoco said:
Seriously. I bet one of them could whip it up in a days time. They could make it so you use a different type of crafting table too. I just want actual chairs and tables instead of stairs with signs and wood stumps.

The modding community is working so much faster than him. I bet if it were open-sourced right now, it'd be lightyears ahead by this time next year.

It's like when Apple released the iPhone without any way of creating apps. WebApps are the SDK! But people figured out a way to make apps. Actual apps. And they did it. Then a year later Apple implemented an actual SDK and App Store. Now the iDevices are phenominal.

If they could at least get modding support built-in, I'd forgive the slow core progress providing mods are safe from as many broken things as possible. They should release modding support, then work with Mod developers ahead of time when new versions are coming out so mod updates can be available from day 1 instead of a few days later.

I think that people are only looking to mods because Notch has been so slow about updating the base game. People see him talking about his upcoming game, and expanding minecraft to multiple platforms, before Minecraft is even out of beta. They see the almost nonexistant trickle of new features and can't help but wish he'd spend less time trying building his reputation and more time building his game. I don't think he even would have gotten off his butt and started the adventure update if Terraria hadn't come along.

I would love to see more inclusion of the modding community but I think the fact that the response to the above mod (which is awesome) is overwhelmingly anger doesn't bode well lol

Maybe someone should like... make a petition asking Notch to stop neglecting Minecraft (and maybe put more than 1 person on it, lol) and actually add some features.

Enco

atre324 said:
I think that people are only looking to mods because Notch has been so slow about updating the base game. People see him talking about his upcoming game, and expanding minecraft to multiple platforms, before Minecraft is even out of beta. They see the almost nonexistant trickle of new features and can't help but wish he'd spend less time trying building his reputation and more time building his game. I don't think he even would have gotten off his butt and started the adventure update if Terraria hadn't come along.

I would love to see more inclusion of the modding community but I think the fact that the response to the above mod (which is awesome) is overwhelmingly anger doesn't bode well lol
Yup.

Look at Terraria. Hardly been out and there have been constant updates every 1-2 weeks with a shed load of stuff every time. Only a few days ago the game was updated with over 50 items and plenty of upgrades. Minecraft is more expensive and is rarely updated and even when it is, with very little. I know it's in beta but come on...

ZZMitch

I am happy with the wat Notch has been updating Minecraft. I mean he never promised major game changing updates every week or so like the guys at Terraria are doing and I have gotten much more out of both Terraria and Minecraft then I paid for them so I am content.

bengraven

Jasoco said:

Grinchy said:
I don't generally jump on the "HEY NOTCH, GET TO WORK" crowd, but what in the hell is taking him so long to make craftable furniture?

Notch said once that he doesn't want to add anything that had no real function and that the community had come up with some brilliant ways around furniture/decorations.

But then he adds beds, bookshelves, paintings, colored wool, etc.

I always though beds could be used JUST for sleeping, while why not make CHAIRS reset your spawn point? Why make a bed do TWO things while you can make another piece of furniture and give it a function?

Eh.

Furniture is my number one "casual" wish in this game.

(for the record, NPCs/villages are my number one "gameplay" wish)

Venfayth

Notch said a few times he didn't want to pay too much attention to the mods that people have made on their own, because he doesn't want it to influence how he approaches his game.

(or something along those lines)

I'm not sure if that's actually going to end up being a good thing for him/mojang, though. It's his game, granted, but once the mod API is finished I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of people regularly playing the game without mods installed will plummet.

bengraven

Acullis said:
Notch said a few times he didn't want to pay too much attention to the mods that people have made on their own, because he doesn't want it to influence how he approaches his game.

(or something along those lines)

I'm not sure if that's actually going to end up being a good thing for him/mojang, though. It's his game, granted, but once the mod API is finished I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of people regularly playing the game without mods installed will plummet.

He's counting on that, which is why the API will be set up so that his updates won't break our mods.

Jasoco

Banned
bengraven said:
Notch said once that he doesn't want to add anything that had no real function and that the community had come up with some brilliant ways around furniture/decorations.

But then he adds beds, bookshelves, paintings, colored wool, etc.

I always though beds could be used JUST for sleeping, while why not make CHAIRS reset your spawn point? Why make a bed do TWO things while you can make another piece of furniture and give it a function?

Eh.

Furniture is my number one "casual" wish in this game.

(for the record, NPCs/villages are my number one "gameplay" wish)
The ability to build your own world is one thing, but if you don't have a way to decorate it, it's pretty useless. Bookshelves are nice. Before beds, people used wool blocks. A chair right now may look like a chair, but it's still just a wooden stair with two signs on it. It only resembles a chair. And thanks to peoples utilization of a bug, they were able to make fences act like poles and decorations. And if it weren't for that, we wouldn't be getting a built-in hack-free method for stacking them now. (No more using dirt as scaffolding.)

I don't want chairs to have any function aside from letting the player right click it to sit down. Even if it's just for appearances.

I just want the world to look good, and I want as much going on as possible, without too much lag. I installed the YogBox and played around. The world was full of life. Animals all over the place. Then I restored to the stock game and the world became bland and empty. You don't realize how empty the world is until you compare it to something active.

I don't want every mod out there, just a lot more variations in mobs. (The Environment mod gave us bunny rabbits and bears and boars and sharks and fish and pihrana and dolphins and ducks...) And more stuff to craft. That BTW mod was amazing. Rotating windmill and water wheels would add so much to the world. Using a saw to create wood moulding would make the world look much more detailed. I don't know what the problem is between the creator and the Yogs people but suck it up and get over it. I want BTW with an easy to install installer like Yogbox has. Right now it needs ModLoader. Which would mean you'd have to wait for both ML and BTW to both update when a new version comes out. All I want is simplicity.

Jasoco

Banned
pirata said:
Damn, I hope the Better than Wolves and the Yogbox people settle their differences. I'd like to be able to play both!
Someone explain the differences. Because it would seem the BTW people would benefit from working with the Yog people. Yogbox was so easy to install, but BTW requires more hoops. I'd much rather have BTW as part of the Yogbox so I can install this stuff with only a handful of clicks.

Drag and drop Mod support is all we need. Natively that is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there an easy way to have both a standard install for multiplayer, and a separate singleplayer game to install yogbox/better than wolves?

and what were they using in that better than wolves yogscast for the inventory? They had 5 pages of every item it seemed

Juravsky

Ummm don't update if you love your savefile. There are quite a lot of bugs crashing the game and some of them corrupt the savefiles too.

Quixzlizx

Juravsky said:
Ummm don't update if you love your savefile. There are quite a lot of bugs crashing the game and some of them corrupt the savefiles too.

This is a given. I learned to wait for the bug-fixing patch after the update where your inventory would disappear when you died.

Woorloog

Banned
Juravsky said:
That's because you're using the old launcher. Download the new one or don't type your username and then hit "play offline".
What new launcher?
WTF wtf...
EDIT Minecraft.net is down apparently.

Juravsky

Quixzlizx said:
This is a given. I learned to wait for the bug-fixing patch after the update where your inventory would disappear when you died.

I know, I was just fooling around in a new world so I don't mind, but right now there's quite a lot of people raging because of that.

Anyways, I unsderstand the rage, some of the bugs are so obvious (i.e. pistons + sugar cane/leafs... = crash or the one about right clicking a sheep without a shear) that if Mojang had done any proper testing before releasing they would have spotted them for sure.

EDIT (notch tweet): Put up 1.7_01, fixing the right clicking on sheep, and the piston crash, and makes crashed worlds loadable again. Client and server.

So it's safer now^^

Mik2121

Man, I love how they spend weeks to make a new patch. Then they release it with some major fault or bug, and release a fix in like a couple hours tops.

Makes you wonder how much did they work on the actual beta :p

Vlad

Mik2121 said:
Man, I love how they spend weeks to make a new patch. Then they release it with some major fault or bug, and release a fix in like a couple hours tops.

Well, that kind of makes sense, really. Adding something from scratch like the shears or even anything new to the game like the pistons is going to take a heck of a lot longer than fixing a few very specific bugs.

bengraven

You know what I want to see? Dying drops only the stuff in your quickbar, not in your actual inventory.

Juravsky said:

We can't have that. Two of my sp saves are former server maps. :(

Mik2121 said:

Well we ARE the beta testers. haha ;)

Vlad

After messing around with the pistons a little bit, a couple things I've noticed:

Compared to the mod pistons, these ones will activate as long as there's powered redstone next to them, as opposed to only on the rising edge. This means that if you push a piston next to a block that's got a redstone current on it, it'll activate when it gets there. This is MUCH better than the mod version, where a piston would only activate when the current turns from off to on.

However, one HUGE change from the mod (at least, I think that's how the mod worked)version that I'm absolutely hating (and hoping it's a bug) is that sticky pistons are only "sticky" when they're pulling back. This means that if you have three pistons chained end-to-end, they'll expand just fine, but they hit a problem when retracting, even if they retract in the right order:

First, the last piston pulls back, all's well.

Then, the middle piston pulls back, pulling the last piston with it. Again, everything's fine at this point...

Finally, the initial piston pulls the middle one back, but since the middle one's stickyness doesn't work, the last piston ends up staying where it was.

And a few pictures:

Initial setup:
23ijfdj.png

Pistons expanded:
s43spk.png

Failed retraction:
2072q0h.png

Ark

Atomski said:
Aw I hoped pistons would be a good minecart launcher. :/

Now thats an idea I hadn't thought of.

Can't wait for Multiplay to get 1.7 up, pistons are just plain awesome.

HenryHSH

Awesome! Update time. Are sheep growing their wool back using shears? Pistons stack vertically?
I'll test it out later today, but I need my UC3 beta fix first.

Ark

HenryHSH said:
Awesome! Update time. Are sheep growing their wool back using shears? Pistons stack vertically?
I'll test it out later today, but I need my UC3 beta fix first.

You gotta finish your Mosque! :p

HenryHSH

yessir. I just got a little discouraged by the vertical block limit. Guess I'll reduce dome size. :(

edit: wow the library looks amazing!

Top Bottom