• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
And a few pictures:

Initial setup:
http://i55.tinypic.com/23ijfdj.png[IMG]

Pistons expanded:
[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/s43spk.png[IMG]

Failed retraction:
[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2072q0h.png
It HAS to be a bug. The sticky pistons are supposed to hold on no matter what. This disappoints me because if we can get them working and retracting correctly, we could make really long expanding drawbridges.

Please, Notch. Say this is a bug! Fix it in 1.7_2 PLEASE! I mean, isn't this how that door was supposed to work in the older video?

EVIL

Ark said:
Now thats an idea I hadn't thought of.

Can't wait for Multiplay to get 1.7 up, pistons are just plain awesome.
this is hard trough, since if you put on tracks on the ground and a piston next to it, and you turn it on, it destroys the bit of track

Jasoco

Banned
I made a door! I made a door!! I love my door!

wxasE.gif

It uses delays so each quarter opens at a different time. I need to swap the top two though so it goes in a circle, but it's cool! And it works with glass!

This will make me happy until they fix powered sticky pistons on sticky pistons. PLEASE FIX IT!

It's like an air lock. For a space ship. Or something.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
It HAS to be a bug. The sticky pistons are supposed to hold on no matter what. This disappoints me because if we can get them working and retracting correctly, we could make really long expanding drawbridges.

Please, Notch. Say this is a bug! Fix it in 1.7_2 PLEASE! I mean, isn't this how that door was supposed to work in the older video?

I honestly can't tell if that's intentional or not. I mean, I imagine it could be problematic if you put a piston facing a different direction from the rest. For example, what if you have the first piston facing north, then the next one facing east, then you chain 30 more east-facing ones off that? I'm guessing the piston code only does a check in a straight line, so perpindicular stickiness would be tricky to check.. still shouldn't be TOO hard, though.

I wish I had access to the previous version now, though... I'm dying to see if the mod pistons acted the same, or if they acted like we want.

Jasoco

Banned
Captain Pants said:
I don't really like the new cobblestone texture.
I love it. It makes the default texture look less like shit in worlds where people have built everything out of the stuff. Those solid black pixels are really hard on the eyes.

Jasoco said:
I made a door! I made a door!! I love my door!

wxasE.gif

It uses delays so each quarter opens at a different time. I need to swap the top two though so it goes in a circle, but it's cool! And it works with glass!

This will make me happy until they fix powered sticky pistons on sticky pistons. PLEASE FIX IT!

It's like an air lock. For a space ship. Or something.

Oh my freaking god I'm stealing your design and making me a 3d metroid game world in minecraft. That's what the style of door reminds me of.

Jasoco

Banned
fredrancour said:
Oh my freaking god I'm stealing your design and making me a 3d metroid game world in minecraft. That's what the style of door reminds me of.
You know what it needs? Those sensor blocks from the Better Than Wolves mod. OH MY GOD. STAR TREK.

The only drawback is it requires walls to be 3 blocks thick. At least at the door area. But it's a tradeoff.

I've been playing around with the pistons and am going to upload a video of some of my fun things later. Hehehe. Aside from the shameful bug (IT HAS TO BE) of them not pulling back pistons that are touched by redstone, they're pretty damn cool.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
You know what it needs? Those sensor blocks from the Better Than Wolves mod. OH MY GOD. STAR TREK.

The only drawback is it requires walls to be 3 blocks thick. At least at the door area. But it's a tradeoff.

I've been playing around with the pistons and am going to upload a video of some of my fun things later. Hehehe. Aside from the shameful bug (IT HAS TO BE) of them not pulling back pistons that are touched by redstone, they're pretty damn cool.

Guh?

Are you referring to the thing I was talking about in that series of pictures above?

If so, that isn't the problem at all. The problem is that pistons don't remain sticky when they're retracted, so if piston A pulls back piston B, and piston B has a block of cobblestone (for example) at its "sticky" end, the cobblestone won't remain stuck to piston B when piston A retracts.

Another thing I'd also love to see is sticky piston chains not retracting unless the piston in front of them is also retracted. It'd make the wiring a bit simpler.

HenryHSH said:
I hate clouds... :(

It's a love/hate thing. The sky would be so empty without them, but they don't flow around tall buildings and look like crap when you build something tall. Wish they would put in some sort of detection system that would cause clouds to flow around stuff.

bengraven

Ark said:
So do I, but I don't know what to build. I've hit 'creators block'.

I was there a few weeks ago.

I get in these periods. Hell, my entire time on Exano's server was a creative roadblock. The entire time I played, 2 months or whatever, I could NOT figure out what I wanted to make.

I love my fucking castle on our server though! And my little prawn shack in Booty Bay. :D

And my whore house, but no one notices that. ;)

DurielBlack said:
It's a love/hate thing. The sky would be so empty without them, but they don't flow around tall buildings and look like crap when you build something tall. Wish they would put in some sort of detection system that would cause clouds to flow around stuff.

YES. This.

Though my single player castle looks cool because my throne room gets full of "mist".

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
Guh?

Are you referring to the thing I was talking about in that series of pictures above?

If so, that isn't the problem at all. The problem is that pistons don't remain sticky when they're retracted, so if piston A pulls back piston B, and piston B has a block of cobblestone (for example) at its "sticky" end, the cobblestone won't remain stuck to piston B when piston A retracts.

Another thing I'd also love to see is sticky piston chains not retracting unless the piston in front of them is also retracted. It'd make the wiring a bit simpler.
Have you tested them without any redstone other than the initial? It is indeed caused by the redstone's presence. Try it. Stack a few sticky pistons and only power the first. They all stick together. But as soon as you place redstone to the others, they stop sticking. It is indeed a bug. No doubt about it. Well, actually, the SECOND sticky piston will stick to the first. But the rest starting with the third will not. But for some reason the second one does stick to the first providing there is no redstone touching it.

I will show what I mean in my video.

Grinchy

Banned
bengraven said:
I was there a few weeks ago.

I get in these periods. Hell, my entire time on Exano's server was a creative roadblock. The entire time I played, 2 months or whatever, I could NOT figure out what I wanted to make.

I love my fucking castle on our server though! And my little prawn shack in Booty Bay. :D

And my whore house, but no one notices that. ;)

That's kinda how I am on the Neocraft server. What an awesome server it is, and I can't really come up with things to build anymore. I haven't done any kind of big-scale projects on the server yet.

When I try to think of something I want to make, I just don't feel like planning it out. When I just go into the game to build something random, I wish I had made plans lol.

HenryHSH

bengraven said:
Though my single player castle looks cool because my throne room gets full of "mist".

I guess my mosque will have a hookah lounge at the top.. >.<

Grinchy said:
That's kinda how I am on the Neocraft server. What an awesome server it is, and I can't really come up with things to build anymore. I haven't done any kind of big-scale projects on the server yet.

When I try to think of something I want to make, I just don't feel like planning it out. When I just go into the game to build something random, I wish I had made plans lol.

Grinchy! What happened to your nether project? Also, you completely disappeared from neocraft.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
Have you tested them without any redstone other than the initial? It is indeed caused by the redstone's presence. Try it. Stack a few sticky pistons and only power the first. They all stick together. But as soon as you place redstone to the others, they stop sticking. It is indeed a bug. No doubt about it. Well, actually, the SECOND sticky piston will stick to the first. But the rest starting with the third will not. But for some reason the second one does stick to the first providing there is no redstone touching it.

I will show what I mean in my video.

Well, yeah, that's exactly what I was saying. It has NOTHING to do with the presence of redstone or not. You can make a setup exactly like mine in those pictures, or just power the first piston, and the result is exactly the same. Right now sticky pistons are only sticky when they're retracting This is why, in a stack of three, the second one always sticks to the first one... the first one's the one that's retracting. Look at my three pictures again:

The pistons all extend fine, and when they retract, the one on the left goes first, then the middle, then the right. When the middle one retracts, it pulls the left one back with it since it's already retracted. When the right one retracts, it only pulls the middle one back.

MC just updated again for me this morning. It displays a different splash screen than the one I am used to and then the window has the regular menu screen texture, but no buttons. After a min the screen goes black.

Has anyone seen this before?

*edit*
I fixed it, I had to run the mcpatcher for the larger textures. I'm dumb.

Mik2121

Posted by Jens on Google+:

hXIm6.png

The new stone and moss stone look GREAT. Or are they from some pack? If so, what pack?. And there seems to be some sort of new door or something?

Maybe ruins to be added as terrain elements?

Also, Notch shared this on Google+ as well:

http://i.imgur.com/pqYck.jpg (just a link because it's too big)

CPU villages, perhaps? And what's that tree? :p

Mik2121 said:

http://i.imgur.com/hXIm6.png[IMG]

The new stone and moss stone look GREAT. And there seems to be some sort of new door or something?

Maybe ruins to be added as terrain elements?

Also, Notch shared this on Google+ as well:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pqYck.jpg[IMG]

CPU villages, perhaps? And what's that tree? :P[/QUOTE]

That looks great. I can't wait for 1.8 now!

atre324

I believe those are giant mushrooms, looks like Notch is taking a page from Terraria lol

Also, am I the only one who saw that screenshot and got excited about the prospect of destroying half the NPC village to get all that moss stone? lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Awesome Animals said:
That looks great. I can't wait for 1.8 now!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be starting a new single player world once 1.8 hits. With the underground canyons, and now NPC villages I really just feel like starting in a new area. Or, maybe I'll just trek really fucking far away from my spawn point, like a couple thousand blocks away, and start a whole new main base area. Yeah, I kind of like that idea better. I'll also create a huge tunnel network in the nether linking portals from the old area to the new one.

I kind of wish Minecraft worlds were like Terraria worlds, in that you could swap materials back and forth between worlds easily. That would rock. Although, half the fun is starting over from scratch sometimes. Maybe I'll just start a whole new world instead afterall.

Damn, sometimes this game is just too much fun. A game hasn't gotten a hold of me like Minecraft has since Phantasy Star Online back in the Dreamcast days. I was embarrasingly addicted to PSO, like I now am to MC.

Mik2121

bengraven said:
Oh shit, someone made a good point on Notch's Google+.

That might not be cobblestone.

That might be a ruin!
That... that's what I said, too... :(

But I'd guess the ruins are made out of cobblestone. Though a new material would also be welcome.

Mengy

Mik2121 said:
That... that's what I said, too... :(

But I'd guess the ruins are made out of cobblestone. Though a new material would also be welcome.

Okay, both pics are from the dev team, so we can (probably safely) assume they are in game with no tex packs. That said, the village appears to use the new cobblestone texture, while the "ruin" pic is something different and new. So, judging from this, I would have to say we will be seeing a new block type, one that looks very nice IMHO. I hope there is a way other than random ruins to get this new block, because I like it alot and would want to use it extensively. Perhaps clay mixed with stone to make cement block of some kind?

Ranger X

Mengy said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be starting a new single player world once 1.8 hits. With the underground canyons, and now NPC villages I really just feel like starting in a new area. Or, maybe I'll just trek really fucking far away from my spawn point, like a couple thousand blocks away, and start a whole new main base area. Yeah, I kind of like that idea better. I'll also create a huge tunnel network in the nether linking portals from the old area to the new one.

I kind of wish Minecraft worlds were like Terraria worlds, in that you could swap materials back and forth between worlds easily. That would rock. Although, half the fun is starting over from scratch sometimes. Maybe I'll just start a whole new world instead afterall.

Damn, sometimes this game is just too much fun. A game hasn't gotten a hold of me like Minecraft has since Phantasy Star Online back in the Dreamcast days. I was embarrasingly addicted to PSO, like I now am to MC.

I am in the same dilemna. I will probably keep my world though because I have it since the start. I like to return to old places sometimes and see how the game was, how it evolved. I'm sort of attached to my world + there's new chunks to generate near my ranch right now.

At worse, we can select chunks with MCedit and erase them. When you'd be back in the game, they would regenerate according the lastest's version parameters, all the while keeping the seed's general look.

Mengy said:

HAHA, don't be ashamed. Minecraft is so amazing, and from what I've heard PSO was too.

Mengy

Acullis said:
What is this?

I honestly can't tell. It looks like it might be some kind of cobweb? Or even some kind of a cell door?

Interesting. Looks like webs to me. Whatever that is, it look's like something new too.

Mik2121 said:

hXIm6.png

The new stone and moss stone look GREAT. Or are they from some pack? If so, what pack?. And there seems to be some sort of new door or something?
Would be cool if those "broken" stone blocks break and act with physics like sand and gravel as soon as you run over them :)

bengraven

Mengy said:
Okay, both pics are from the dev team, so we can (probably safely) assume they are in game with no tex packs. That said, the village appears to use the new cobblestone texture, while the "ruin" pic is something different and new. So, judging from this, I would have to say we will be seeing a new block type, one that looks very nice IMHO. I hope there is a way other than random ruins to get this new block, because I like it alot and would want to use it extensively. Perhaps clay mixed with stone to make cement block of some kind?

Since they already changed the cobblestone block last update, I'm also assuming these are new blocks for ruins/npc castles.

fossil coast said:
Has the new mob's skin been discussed?

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Silverfish

I'm wondering if it will be an ambient creature...maybe in a swamp biome. Like the dragonflies on the Bitter Coast in Morrowind.

bengraven said:
Since they already changed the cobblestone block last update, I'm also assuming these are new blocks for ruins/npc castles.

I'm wondering if it will be an ambient creature...maybe in a swamp biome. Like the dragonflies on the Bitter Coast in Morrowind.

In the forum post linked off that page, somebody mentions that irl silverfish eat wood. Which is pretty ominous.

I am pretty jazzed about it, because I really want trilobites in minecraft and this seems pretty close to that dream.

Venfayth

Mengy said:
Um, new mob? I'm at work so I can't look at that site right now, but was a new mob put into 1.7? If so then shit, I didn't even know that!

It's a texture that was added, not the mob itself. This is a 3d mockup a user made using the texture.

silverfish2.jpg

Not the guaranteed size/scaling/whatever.

Notch mentioned he's adding more monsters for 1.8, this could definitely be one of them. Would be cool to see these skittering around beaches or something :D

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Acullis said:
It's a texture that was added, not the mob itself. This is a 3d mockup a user made using the texture.

silverfish2.jpg

Not the guaranteed size/scaling/whatever.

Notch mentioned he's adding more monsters for 1.8, this could definitely be one of them. Would be cool to see these skittering around beaches or something :D

I hope that it's only underwater and not in land, or else it'll destroy my creations!

Ark said:
Within 2 weeks at most I reckon. It should be quicker than 1.6, it appears 1.7 is a lot less buggy than 1.6 was.

I accidentally updated (Had no choice given) So, I suppose I'm out of commission for a few weeks.

Top Bottom