• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

I stopped playing minecraft for a while and just got back to it. I decided to try out the yogbox collection and so far I've been having fun.

For the first time single-player is entertaining. I lost interest in that and went to multi-player because the world was so empty, but now with the NPC village mod it doesn't feel that way.

Now I just need to figure out how to disable/remove their mod that affects shift/ctrl/alt+clicking for inventory management, it keeps wacking out and causing me to only be able to put all of an item from inventory into a chest/craft area instead of letting me drag it to my hotbar or only move an item. I have to completely quit minecraft and reload to get rid of the bug.

I'm not a big fan of their texture pack, will using a different pack affect anything?

Love the new elemental creepers too, but discovered the hard way that fire elemental creepers + wooden NPC village leaves me wishing villagers could repair their own buildings.

Jasoco

Banned
Mengy said:
Interesting. Looks like webs to me. Whatever that is, it look's like something new too.
The thing that interests me the most is how it is in the center of the block. It looks like a door to me. But hopefully this means a revamp of the way doors act.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
The thing that interests me the most is how it is in the center of the block. It looks like a door to me. But hopefully this means a revamp of the way doors act.

Looks to me that its a cell door type. Could also be a new look for Iron doors...

If you want to find new things but don't want to leave your established world, you should do as I do.

Subway system through Hell.

Drop into the Nether, go in a straight line a few hundred blocks, then pop back up. New land, really far away, but still accessible via minecarts.

Tips;
-Stick to small tunnels and caves, or dig your own 3x3 tunnels. Big enough for carts, too small for Ghasts.
-Try not to change elevation too much. Its cheap to go down, but boosters suck up hill
-Zombie pigmen love mincarts. If you find one is in your cart, go ahead and kill him. He won't leave the cart.
-Always watch where you're digging and hold shift so you don't accidentally dig into a hole, fall 50 blocks into a sea of lava, and climb out, only to die from fire, losing stacks of powered and regular track. This will make you so discouraged you might never play that file again. :(

Jasoco

Banned
EskimoJoe said:
-Always watch where you're digging and hold shift so you don't accidentally dig into a hole, fall 50 blocks into a sea of lava, and climb out, only to die from fire, losing stacks of powered and regular track. This will make you so discouraged you might never play that file again. :(
At that point I restart at my spawn, quit the game and restore one of my backed up Level.dat files from before I went in the Nether.

Ranger X said:
Looks to me that its a cell door type. Could also be a new look for Iron doors...
Notice how it's in the center of the blocks instead of against the edge? I hope this means they redid doors completely.

Also, did anyone else get another update? 1.7.2?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, I know I'm kinda late to the server party, but I'm starting to get more and more interested in MP gameplay, what's the GAF server IP address?

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Notice how it's in the center of the blocks instead of against the edge? I hope this means they redid doors completely.

Also, did anyone else get another update? 1.7.2?

True.. Could be the way celldoors are. I would like all the doors to be like that though since we are at it.
And yeah, there was inevitably huge bugs in 1.7 (they really don't test, seriously.)

Chris R

Just bought this today at work... Downloaded the .jar for my ubuntu netbook, but I can't log in though due to not having internet at home. Well I have internet but it is only http traffic, no https and only when I tether my phone :( Guess I won't ever be able to play this. I thought the download would ya know, actually download the game.

Jasoco

Banned
They didn't fix the sticky piston bug we were arguing about yet though. I'm sad. Maybe by 1.7.6... I can understand why they don't work from a programmer standpoint. It's really hard to program those kinds of physics and links. They'd have to program it to be smart enough to know when you have a chain of sticky pistons all connected to each other, then calculate their movement from the starting one to the ending one.

Mik2121

rhfb said:
Just bought this today at work... Downloaded the .jar for my ubuntu netbook, but I can't log in though due to not having internet at home. Well I have internet but it is only http traffic, no https and only when I tether my phone :( Guess I won't ever be able to play this. I thought the download would ya know, actually download the game.
Uhm.. weird. I believe if you download it and don't have connection, you can just play offline.

Jasoco

Banned
After playing around a bit, I have discovered the problem.

It seems a Piston can only push/pull a closed Piston. It is incapable of pushing/pulling an opened one. So when you open both pistons it works because the redstone delay causes the first one to fire before the second. But once they're open, it's still calculating the first one first and the second one second, and since a Piston can't pull an opened piston, it is unable to pull the second piston back. And there's no way to program the redstone to both calculate each piston from the starting one while opening them, but run it backwards when closing them. So we're stuck until Notch and team figure out how to make a piston able to pull back an opened piston. Once they figure that out, it will work.

Edit: WAIT.. I think I figured out a way. Please stay tuned!!!

HenryHSH

rhfb said:

There's definitely an option to play offline. Try to login, it will fail then ask you if you want to play in offline mode.

Venfayth

HenryHSH said:
There's definitely an option to play offline. Try to login, it will fail then ask you if you want to play in offline mode.

You need to have logged in once successfully to enable offline mode.

pirata

So, how does one revert back to a previous version of Minecraft? People talk about it all the time, but never about how they did it. Anyone?

HenryHSH

pirata said:
So, how does one revert back to a previous version of Minecraft? People talk about it all the time, but never about how they did it. Anyone?

I just googled Downgrade minecraft 1.7 to 1.6.6

PC
1. make sure all of your minecraft clients are closed and not open
2. Download this http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SF0L8H5K
3. extract it to your desktop
4. go to your start and type run in
5. in run type %appdata%
6. go to your .minecraft folder then the bin folder
7. delete everything in the bin folder then replace it with the 1.6.6 folders
8. there you go, enjoy your downgraded minecraft!

If linking the bin folder is not allowed, I'll remove it.

Here's a youtube link on how to do it on a Mac:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Trp5HB1WI

Does anyone happen to have the old-style launcher? My new launcher can't seem to connect and the concensus on several boards is that you'll need the old launcher to get it going again. I'm running on Mac, so I'll be needing that version. :) Thanks

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
commissar said:
Fear ye not for 1.7 hath come to NeoCraft!

Now update and play :D

Thanks Ark!

Is this true? Normally Ark makes a post about being updated.

Yep, it seems to be true, getting an outdated client error when I try to join the server.

Time to update and play about with pistons! Glad I kept that stack of slime balls :)

Truant

Just bought this for the first time, but I can't find any world textures, just for characters. What's the best looking world texture pack? I'm on a 2011 MBP if that matters, low end video card.

I just want a sharp and clean look.

jgkspsx

I'm new to this, and making some pretty serious blunders. Nothing like falling of the top of your friend's awesome gigantic castle on top of a creeper, blowing it up along with most of the entrance area. Sorry Dave! Ech.

Amazing game, though. Honestly, I could kind of do without the monsters...

jgkspsx said:
I'm new to this, and making some pretty serious blunders. Nothing like falling of the top of your friend's awesome gigantic castle on top of a creeper, blowing it up along with most of the entrance area. Sorry Dave! Ech.

Amazing game, though. Honestly, I could kind of do without the monsters...

Set it to peaceful in options. No more monsters. I think that's most of the fun but hey!

jgkspsx

fossil coast said:
Set it to peaceful in options. No more monsters. I think that's most of the fun but hey!
Doesn't seem to work on a multiplayer server, though?

I'm fine with monsters eventually, but while I'm still a n00b I don't want to majorly fuck up other people's creations because I forgot to hold LShift on top of a wall :(

I realize I could just play single player, but that's not very fun.

(I fixed the wall temporarily with gravel and planks. Ugly as sin.)

Ark

Mengy said:
Is this true? Normally Ark makes a post about being updated.

Apparently the update was rolled out by Multiplay, all that had to be done was for the server to be restarted, which happens automatically usually at least once a day.

So yeah, NeoCraft is now running on 1.7! Time to talk to Toki about trimming the map.

Ranger X

jgkspsx said:

I'm fine with monsters eventually, but while I'm still a n00b I don't want to majorly fuck up other people's creations because I forgot to hold LShift on top of a wall :(

I realize I could just play single player, but that's not very fun.

(I fixed the wall temporarily with gravel and planks. Ugly as sin.)

In Neocraft you can't fuck up because environemental damage from creepers is turned off.

bengraven

God I suck with redstone. Guess I'll be copying other people's piston creations.

Riding on the backs of geniuses is I, railts, with no qualms.

Man, I really wish I'd bothered to learn about using redstone before this update - it's a pain in the ass, but I think I've got the hang of it now. Made a hidden door, but it turned out to be a lot more complicated than I thought as sticky pistons only stick one block - it'd be great if you could use slime balls to stick blocks together in a chain, as it would definitely save on pistons. I needed 6 sticky pistons just to make a 2x2 hidden doorway.

Ranger X

Bootaaay said:
Man, I really wish I'd bothered to learn about using redstone before this update - it's a pain in the ass, but I think I've got the hang of it now. Made a hidden door, but it turned out to be a lot more complicated than I thought as sticky pistons only stick one block - it'd be great if you could use slime balls to stick blocks together in a chain, as it would definitely save on pistons. I needed 6 sticky pistons just to make a 2x2 hidden doorway.

Honestly, for the effort needed and the results it can give, I am mildly excited for pistons. It's like everything minecarts, I never really bothered.

jgkspsx

Ranger X said:
In Neocraft you can't fuck up because environemental damage from creepers is turned off.
Awesome! Hmm, maybe I should suggest that.

I had been running around in a random mine, and emerged into a nighttime rainstorm to see GAF scrawled across the sky and a sea of buildings. Neocraft is amazing. How many people are working on it?

Toki1776

jgkspsx said:

I had been running around in a random mine, and emerged into a nighttime rainstorm to see GAF scrawled across the sky and a sea of buildings. Neocraft is amazing. How many people are working on it?

Overall, as of the last map, there were 209 unique users. I'm not sure at this point how many of those are active, however. I've been pretty busy myself lately, haven't had any time to play Minecraft, but I will be on more often, starting this week.

Ranger X

jgkspsx said:

Well, it's been a couple of months. Maybe 3 or 4 already?
There's the spawn region that you just saw but there's more! You can take the tunnel to Booty Bay, a sea shore town. (the tunnel connects with the spawn). You can also teleport there anyways with "/warp bootybay"

You can also look at our Arabian City. Complicated to explain where it is so you can simply teleport there. "/warp al-medina"

Lastly, you can take a look at our underground town, Moria.
"/warp moria"

:)

HenryHSH

jgkspsx said:

If you're running your own server then there's a server.properties file. Open it with Notepad or an equivalent and change this line:

Code:
spawn-monsters=true
to
Code:
spawn-monsters=false

Say I had 5 pistons in a row next to one another... is there any way to power those with one switch? The wiki seemingly presumes you have an elementary knowledge concerning electrical circuitry, of which I admittedly am not in possession. Anybody know?

HenryHSH

vas_a_morir said:
Say I had 5 pistons in a row next to one another... is there any way to power those with one switch? The wiki seemingly presumes you have an elementary knowledge concerning electrical circuitry, of which I admittedly am not in possession. Anybody know?

Powered rails work that way so pistons might.

Truant said:
Just bought this for the first time, but I can't find any world textures, just for characters. What's the best looking world texture pack? I'm on a 2011 MBP if that matters, low end video card.

I just want a sharp and clean look.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/10790-texture-pack-central-mods-tools-maps-list/

I personally use Ovo's rustik texture pack.

jgkspsx

HenryHSH said:
If you're running your own server then there's a server.properties file. Open it with Notepad or an equivalent and change this line:

Code:
spawn-monsters=true
to
Code:
spawn-monsters=false
Not my server, but thanks. It makes total sense that the server config overrides individual config, it just bugs me in my particular n00bie case :)

vas_a_morir said:

Yeah, I think you need to put a redstone torch on the wall of the block directly underneath each piston, then run a line of redstone from those blocks to the block where you want the switch. I could be wrong though, I've only been playing about with redstone for the past few hours, never touched the stuff before.

Jasoco

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
Run a line of redstone down the back of them. Even if it doesn't "connect" it still powers.

Or run it a block down the side and place repeaters directly into them and set each one to different delays and have pistons that open in patterns.

guest1321

So I messed around with sticky pistons today to see if I could get them to retract everything. Now I know this isn't the most practical way of going about it but maybe something to consider. This is on NeoCraft by my house so if you want to try it out/test it feel free.
Opened:
active%20redstone%20piston.png

Closed:
closed%20redstone%20piston.png

Jasoco

Banned
guest1321 said:
So I messed around with sticky pistons today to see if I could get them to retract everything. Now I know this isn't the most practical way of going about it but maybe something to consider. This is on NeoCraft by my house so if you want to try it out/test it feel free.
Opened:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12729636/NeoGaf/MineCraft/active%20redstone%20piston.png[IMG]
Closed:
[IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12729636/NeoGaf/MineCraft/closed%20redstone%20piston.png
Hmm, yeah. I had found a way to do it too, but it only works for 2 pistons right now. Can you play around and get 3 or more going?

Edit: Also, make sure you test it with a block at the end. My design that works stops pulling the block back. It just does not work the way we had hoped!

Top Bottom