• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Jasoco said:
Run a line of redstone down the back of them. Even if it doesn't "connect" it still powers.

Or run it a block down the side and place repeaters directly into them and set each one to different delays and have pistons that open in patterns.

Nope... that didn't work.

You can make a line of three retract. It just requires a lot more redstone and finagling with timing.

Assume you have sticky pistons 1,2, and 3. Extend them all. 3 is farthest out, 2 is middle, 1 is the first one.

Retract 3
Retract 2, pulling 3.
Retract 1, pulling 2.
Extend 2, grabbing 3.
Retract 2, pulling 3.

Would that work?

mcrae

im totally failing at google right now. how do i set up my single player world with a plugin that allows me however many blocks i want, whenever i want?

Vlad

EskimoJoe said:
You can make a line of three retract. It just requires a lot more redstone and finagling with timing.

Assume you have sticky pistons 1,2, and 3. Extend them all. 3 is farthest out, 2 is middle, 1 is the first one.

Retract 3
Retract 2, pulling 3.
Retract 1, pulling 2.
Extend 2, grabbing 3.
Retract 2, pulling 3.

Would that work?

Theoretically, yes, but the redstone for that would be a MASSIVE pain to do.

Say I had 5 pistons in a row next to one another... is there any way to power those with one switch? The wiki seemingly presumes you have an elementary knowledge concerning electrical circuitry, of which I admittedly am not in possession. Anybody know?

zu5nrm.png

Similarly, you can also do the same thing for stacked rows, like so:
fmhrx0.png

The repeaters seem to transfer the current to the block they're stitting on as well, so this is a great way to power any pistons that are stacked on each other.

mcrae

EskimoJoe said:

Retract 3
Retract 2, pulling 3.
Retract 1, pulling 2.
Extend 2, grabbing 3.
Retract 2, pulling 3.

Would that work?

yes that works, just tested it, but i dont know how to automate it, lol

edit: whiel i may new to redstone, i dont see how automating anything past 3, 4, or 5 in a row would be at all feasible. definitly requires an in-depth understanding

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
Theoretically, yes, but the redstone for that would be a MASSIVE pain to do.

http://i53.tinypic.com/zu5nrm.png

Similarly, you can also do the same thing for stacked rows, like so:
http://i54.tinypic.com/fmhrx0.png

The repeaters seem to transfer the current to the block they're stitting on as well, so this is a great way to power any pistons that are stacked on each other.
I don't know what you use for making your screenshots, but they just appear as black rectangles on my iPad. So I can't even see them. Well, inline they don't show up.

Edited because I meant INLINE, not online.

mcrae

Jasoco said:
I don't know what you use for making your screenshots, but they just appear as black rectangles on my iPad. So I can't even see them. Well, online they don't show up.

they show up fine, ipads suck, yadda yadda yadda

Grinchy

Banned
Actually it would be pretty sweet to make a work room, where upon entering the room, you trigger the pistons to push your chests, furnaces, ect up from the floor. So it would be an empty room until you walked in it, then everything would reveal itself to you.

Grinchy said:
Actually it would be pretty sweet to make a work room, where upon entering the room, you trigger the pistons to push your chests, furnaces, ect up from the floor. So it would be an empty room until you walked in it, then everything would reveal itself to you.

:O

I like this idea. Have a dispenser shoot out a pork chop for you to eat too!

Time to dive back into redstone.

Ark

mcrae said:
i want to make something out of pistons, just have no idea what. want any help with what you're doing?

The only things with pistons that I'll be making are secret doors lol :p

mcrae said:
i want to make something out of pistons, just have no idea what. want any help with what you're doing?

Hidden doors... Bridges that rise from under water/lava... Sprinkler system... Traps...

I can't think of anything else to do with them :u

Arthrus

God damn asshole lava pit under 1 block of loose sand on an inconspicuous beach :mad:

This game and I are involved in an abusive relationship.

Jasoco

Banned
Grinchy said:
Unfortunately, pistons are unable to push chests or furnaces. In other words, they cannot push blocks that contain inventories. A chest can hold a bunch of items and a furnace holds fuel. I assume it also acts the same with dispensers. Which is a shame. Because how cool would it be to have arrow shooting dispensers pop up out of the ground when someone tries to trespass on your property? Or have them pop down out of the ceiling.

Hopefully this is just an oversight and they'll all be movable by 1.8.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
Unfortunately, pistons are unable to push chests or furnaces. In other words, they cannot push blocks that contain inventories. A chest can hold a bunch of items and a furnace holds fuel. I assume it also acts the same with dispensers. Which is a shame. Because how cool would it be to have arrow shooting dispensers pop up out of the ground when someone tries to trespass on your property? Or have them pop down out of the ceiling.

Hopefully this is just an oversight and they'll all be movable by 1.8.

Even though the mod one can do it, they're claiming that the vanilla ones won't be able to. Supposedly the big reason has to do with the fact that moving any item with entity data (chests, furnaces, note blocks, etc) won't work in MP.

And of course, ever since reading the theories about pistons, especially EskimoJoe's idea, I'm now in a mood to investigate to see how feasible it all is.

Vlad

Wow, that actually works surprisingly well.... Here you go, all. If you want to chain two sticky pistons together, here's how it's done:

rkvx49.png

The timing on the repeaters:

First row: Three ticks.
Second row: At least five ticks. The ones in that picture are at 2 and 4 ticks, but anything more than four will work.
Third row: Upon further experimentation, that repeater isn't even necessary. You can just replace it with some redstone wire. HOWEVER, if you want to make this power a block of 2x2 pistons (so you can push a 1x2 column of blocks two spaces), then you need to use repeaters on every row.

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
Wow, that actually works surprisingly well.... Here you go, all. If you want to chain two sticky pistons together, here's how it's done:

http://i51.tinypic.com/rkvx49.png[IMG]

Second row: At least five ticks. The ones in that picture are at 2 and 4 ticks, but anything more than four will work.
Third row: Upon further experimentation, that repeater isn't even necessary. You can just replace it with some redstone wire. HOWEVER, if you want to make this power a block of 2x2 pistons (so you can push a 1x2 column of blocks two spaces), then you need to use repeaters on every row.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't work in a vertical configuration though.

mcrae

Vlad said:

rkvx49.png

Third row: Upon further experimentation, that repeater isn't even necessary. You can just replace it with some redstone wire. HOWEVER, if you want to make this power a block of 2x2 pistons (so you can push a 1x2 column of blocks two spaces), then you need to use repeaters on every row.

simple, i now challenge you to do a chain with 3. it requires you to turn on/off 9 times, instead of just 4 with 2 pistons

guest1321

Jasoco said:
Hmm, yeah. I had found a way to do it too, but it only works for 2 pistons right now. Can you play around and get 3 or more going?

Edit: Also, make sure you test it with a block at the end. My design that works stops pulling the block back. It just does not work the way we had hoped!
yeah so no luck tonight with making it three long. The trouble I ran into with adding a block on the end was that when it closed the furthest from the source closed first. This renig's any sort of stickiness properties that exist between two blocks so when the first one close's it pulls the second piston in and detaches it from the random block on the end.

Somewhat frustrated ATM. Is there any word on whether this is a bug or not?

Vlad

Jasoco said:
Doesn't work in a vertical configuration though.

Well, yeah. Unfortunately, pistons are fairly generous with where they draw power from. While it's nice being able to activate two stacked pistons with a single redstone current, it does make it tricky (if not impossible)to do precise timing with vertical sticky pistons. Can't figure out a way to do a vertical sticky stack yet :(

simple, i now challenge you to do a chain with 3. it requires you to turn on/off 9 times, instead of just 4 with 2 pistons

Hm.. I accept the challenge!

mcrae

Vlad said:
Well, yeah. Unfortunately, pistons are fairly generous with where they draw power from. While it's nice being able to activate two stacked pistons with a single redstone current, it does make it tricky (if not impossible)to do precise timing with vertical sticky pistons. Can't figure out a way to do a vertical sticky stack yet :(

Hm.. I accept the challenge!

if you just line up 2x5 repeaters, and set the delays at 5,8,2,5,0 then you can retract 3 pistons in a row, but not with anything sticking to the third. im working on that part now. it doesnt work to extend them either, gotta do that from the other side. uploading a vid now. i feel like its goign to require some inventive use of logic gates, of which i have no knowledge lol

Vlad

mcrae said:
if you just line up 2x5 repeaters, and set the delays at 5,8,2,5,0 then you can retract 3 pistons in a row, but not with anything sticking to the third. im working on that part now. it doesnt work to extend them either, gotta do that from the other side. uploading a vid now. i feel like its goign to require some inventive use of logic gates, of which i have no knowledge lol

That's pretty much exactly what I ended up with, too. There's a way to do that last one, too. Basically, you have to rig up an XOR gate with some repeaters so that it will turn on that last block at the very end for a second. I'm having the oddest time on it right now, though. For some reason, an XOR gate I build elsewhere on the map is fine, but when I try to recreate it, it isn't functioning properly.

In any case, it's a LOT less clean than the double sticky pistons.

EDIT: Got it working, and that's exactly what you need to do:

The tricky part about it is not only that you need to have the space where the third piston starts out activate TWICE when retracting, but you also have to make sure it's OFF when the retraction process starts, as if it starts out on, it's going to interfere with the first retraction in that space. So for that very last thing, we want a signal that will stay off for most of the retraction process, then turn on and off again for the very last step.

First, I made one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3YHZkG6xwk

Then, I took the signal from my lever and, using a delay longer than any of the other spaces, I routed it towards the XOR gate. I then split the signal to both inputs of the XOR gate, but I put a couple repeaters on one of the inputs to delay just that one, then I route the output of the XOR back to the third spot on the piston row (I made a bridge of blocks that hung over it).

What happens at the XOR gate is that whenever a signal from the lever reaches it, it'll toggle the output on for a second, then turn off. This happens because initially, both inputs are the same, but once the signal from the lever hits it, one input will change first (turning the gate ON), but then once the delayed input kicks in, it turns the gate back off.

So, what happens is this:

1) Turn lever on. All pistons expand quickly.
2) All the repeaters that dictate the order to turn the pistons off in are activated, but since the pistons are already expanded, nothing happens.
3) Finally, the longest delay hits the XOR gate, toggling THAT output on and off for a second, but again, it doesn't affect the already-expanded pistons.
4) Turn lever off, the rows of repeaters handle all the retractions except for the last.
5) The long delay hits the XOR gate, quickly toggling the last output and pulling the final block into place.

The same principle SHOULD apply to a four-block chain, but at that point, space for the wiring is going to become an issue.

mcrae

Vlad said:
That's pretty much exactly what I ended up with, too. There's a way to do that last one, too. Basically, you have to rig up an XOR gate with some repeaters so that it will turn on that last block at the very end for a second. I'm having the oddest time on it right now, though. For some reason, an XOR gate I build elsewhere on the map is fine, but when I try to recreate it, it isn't functioning properly.

In any case, it's a LOT less clean than the double sticky pistons.

all i have is a not gate right now, i think. im up to everything retracted and the third piston extended, but im having trouble having it retract. would be interested to see yours since mine needs two switches, one for extend, one for retract

Vlad

mcrae said:
all i have is a not gate right now, i think. im up to everything retracted and the third piston extended, but im having trouble having it retract. would be interested to see yours since mine needs two switches, one for extend, one for retract

Well, a NOT gate is just a redstone torch, inverting the signal. Here's what I've got going (yes, I'm aware it's messy):

The whole setup:
ir5nb9.png

On the lower right side of the pistons is the redstone that opens it, to the upper left of it are the ones that control the closing, including the stone bridge that will toggle the last one, and on the upper right from the pistons is the XOR gate.

w0hklv.png

Close-up of the redstone for opening

aouy35.png

Close-up of the redstone that controls the closing action.

2ykj912.png

The delayed XOR gate for the final piston action. You can see that the input of the XOR gate on the right has a longer delay than the instant left input. The XOR output travels along the background to the left, back over that stone bridge that will power the very last piston.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone running a server and got some good example permissions files for a few basic levels of players? Currently I just have everyone as an op because its just me and my kids, but my son wants to invite a couple of his friends from school, so I want to check permissions levels now. Something I'd be ignoring as it all seems quite complicated.

I have worldedit, permissions and craftbook installed via bukkit

mcrae

i spent some time tightening up the design, i imagine it can go smaller but am not sure with the xor gate, here are some pictures:

i used the 1-way property of repeaters instead of using a bridge (also didnt know pistons could be powered from above lol)

AcQMIl.jpg

opposite side: 1 switch opens and closes them all. and its all over in a second or so, nice and fast. i actually think the concept could be expanded to however many you would want in a row

riQpK.jpg

Qwomo

Ark said:
What texture packs are people using? I can't seem to find one that I like anymore :(
I use a kitbashed texture pack containing tiles from DokuCraft/GeruDoku/JohnSmith/all the other good 32x32 packs. I'm a fan of Doku stuff, personally. Both his new and old stuff.

Although I guess if you've exhausted your texture packs Doku would probably be the first one you burn through. His shit isn't exactly obscure :p

I wish Painterly didn't look like garbage, I really love the ideas in there.

Oh and Derivation is a good, newish pack.

pESPi.jpg

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/345738-32x-17-derivation-stylized-pack-v21-complete-overhaul/

Ark

I spent at least 3-4 months using the doku packs, so yeah, those are pretty burned out with me :p

I'll check out the Derivation pack you linked though, thanks :)

masud

Banned
The only thing I've managed to build with pistons so far are some retractable lights for my underground mushroom farm.

Man, I've got like a dozen texture packs that I really like, but each one has at least one thing that ruins it for me. Latest culprit is the moon from the coterie craft pack;

2011-07-03_152852.png

bengraven

BTW, whomever of you is HenryHSH, thanks a ton for your help building my gate last night!

He wanted to play with pistons for the first time and I'm confused by redstone, so he helped out a lot.

Now to eventually build the trap I had planned, but I don't want to potentially fuck up the setup. ha

Bootaaay said:
Man, I've got like a dozen texture packs that I really like, but each one has at least one thing that ruins it for me. Latest culprit is the moon from the coterie craft pack;

I would like to see a customizer similar to Painterly's, but where you can pull in textures from dozens/hundreds of the most popular texture packs to mix and match.

I know, I can just do it in paint, but like with redstone, I know I'd fuck something up.

Ark

In regards to the 'new spawn', that wont come until 1.8 since 1.8 is going to have all the new terrain differences, 1.7 has no new terrain stuff.

Ranger X

Ark said:
In regards to the 'new spawn', that wont come until 1.8 since 1.8 is going to have all the new terrain differences, 1.7 has no new terrain stuff.

I suppose that when the update will be there you will create a "/warp middleland" sending us at the original spawn point?

Ark

Ranger X said:
I suppose that when the update will be there you will create a "/warp middleland" sending us at the original spawn point?

Of course! Probably something along the lines of /warp oldspawn though. And I'll hopefully connect it via the tram system.

bengraven

Let's clear all the open spaces we can. But we also need railroad tracks.

Ark, gift me some railroad stuff and cobble and i'll try and line the tracks up from spawn to Al-Medina/BB/etc.

Top Bottom