• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Jasoco

Banned
I think I'm going to hop on the server after work tonight. Survey the place and see if there's a place left to build. Is there a current map I can look at too?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I've been suggested to build something in Al-Medina but I have no idea what to do that can be in context with the city.

HenryHSH

Juan29.zapata said:
I've been suggested to build something in Al-Medina but I have no idea what to do that can be in context with the city.

I keep telling this to everyone. Ostrich race track with stands. :p

bengraven

I have the same issue. I love the city, it's my favorite part of the server outside of my castle so far...but I'm not really inspired yet.

Ark

bengraven said:
I have the same issue. I love the city, it's my favorite part of the server outside of my castle so far...but I'm not really inspired yet.

I've had that very same problem since Glass first started the city up. Now I'm starting to build a hotel in Al-Medina.

Grinchy

Banned
I collected a bunch of sand and sandstone stacks last night to build there. Now, like you guys, I have no idea what to build or where to build it. Everything has been done so well already, it feels.

Just look at that overview picture Henry posted. So amazing. It looks like the entire layout was intricately planned.

Ark

Grinchy said:
I collected a bunch of sand and sandstone stacks last night to build there. Now, like you guys, I have no idea what to build or where to build it. Everything has been done so well already, it feels.

Just look at that overview picture Henry posted. So amazing. It looks like the entire layout was intricately planned.

Build a restaurant?

EDIT:

Someone asked me to repost the donator link:

Ranger X

Grinchy said:

I simply build a house. Not much inspiration is needed for that. :)

Jasoco

Banned
I wanna build a house off somewhere in an open area with a road to it. A farmhouse mainly like I posted. But I'd need a reasonable space of land. I'd probably build a barn. I just wish you could paint wood red. I don't know what I'd use to represent red barn wood. I really wish Notch would let us use dyes on anything to colorize it. Or at least stuff like wood. So for now just a house. With sandstone for the walls like the screenshot I posted. That's okay, right? Sandstone can be used as bricks if we want. It's not like we get many choices. I ain't gonna hunt down a lot of clay for it. I wanna come on tonight and do some preparation mining first for materials.

Ark

HenryHSH said:
/me going through withdrawal.

I was beginning to plan out the ground floor of my hotel :(

I'm not getting anything from the Control Panel right now. It just keeps timing out, hopefully it gets back up and running soon.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't wait to see your hotel. You build some awesome stuff along with Henry and Mengy and many others on the server. I think what I'm gonna do for my next build is try not to plan much of it at all. My only "planned" segment will be my front door since I want to make a door with pistons.

Ark

Grinchy said:
I can't wait to see your hotel. You build some awesome stuff along with Henry and Mengy and many others on the server. I think what I'm gonna do for my next build is try not to plan much of it at all. My only "planned" segment will be my front door since I want to make a door with pistons.

Whenever I plan things, they usually end up pretty shit. My Hotel was actually supposed to look more 'Arabian' but I've ended up going with a more 'modern' look, mixed with some Arabian. If that makes sense.

The interior will take some planning though.

Mirk

It does figure that the day I decide to play Minecraft the server craps out xD.

I finally got all the kinks worked on on my piston contraptions too :(

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
HenryHSH said:
Here's a view of al-medina from the mosque.

Grinchy's texture pack looks awesome which one is it?

Edit: oh oh, just found a screenshot of my first project on NeoCraft. Doesn't include the pipe which hadn't been built yet.

They have since been destroyed, because I started building Peach's castle and realized that I wasn't having fun finding wool all day and mixing dyes. At least now I have a whole lot of colored wool I can use on the mosque! :)

I started something just like this. Half of my pipe is still there. I quit after a chunk error ate all my stuff. I never did come back.

HenryHSH

Yeah, all these new projects popping up around the city are using wool and wood more freely and they are looking amazing. Wish I have the guts to break parts of the mosque and add some more color to it.

Ark

Good news everyone!

The server is back up :)

Apologies for the short outage, not at all sure what happened then.

Ranger X

HenryHSH said:
Yeah, all these new projects popping up around the city are using wool and wood more freely and they are looking amazing. Wish I have the guts to break parts of the mosque and add some more color to it.

nah, finish it like you started it. It's amazing.

Grinchy

Banned
HenryHSH said:
Grinchy's texture pack looks awesome which one is it?
Not sure how I missed that question. I must have just been staring at your pics lol.

But it is called Bordercraft. It is a lot like Minecraft4kids but less "kiddy." After a long break from Minecraft, I may finally be able to stick with a pack that isn't the default one!

HenryHSH said:

F that noise! It looks so awesome so far.

Venfayth

"Markus Persson - 5:55 PM - Public
So I added sprinting, just to try it out. Double tap forward to start running, like the fast jump move thing from Unreal, but it only works forwards, like sprinting in most modern FPS games. It felt slow and weird until I added a FOV change as well, but now it's fun and addictive. I feel like there needs to be a drawback to doing it, though, or you'll feel like you're wasting time when you're not sprinting."

via GooglePlus

HenryHSH

Thanks guys! I'll get going once the server issues settle down.

Acullis said:
"Markus Persson - 5:55 PM - Public
So I added sprinting, just to try it out. Double tap forward to start running, like the fast jump move thing from Unreal, but it only works forwards, like sprinting in most modern FPS games. It felt slow and weird until I added a FOV change as well, but now it's fun and addictive. I feel like there needs to be a drawback to doing it, though, or you'll feel like you're wasting time when you're not sprinting."

via GooglePlus

He better not remove it after teasing it. He should add mounts and go karts while he's at it.

ArtistDude88 said:
Tell him to make it craft-able running shoes!

NO. I don't want sprint to break every 1000 blocks.

Ark

Well. The server derping out seems to have caused snow biomes to appear all over the place. There's snow biomes at the pyamid, BootyBay and other places where there was no snow to be seen before.

Since their biomes, they can't be easily fixed. THere actually is a way to fix it, but it's damned complicated. So I hope no body minds a little snow here and there? :p At least Al-Medina has stayed desert/rain.

HenryHSH

Personally I'm okay with it this way. It's just extremely annoying and disappointing. Also, it's always raining in al-medina now.

Ranger X

Ark said:
Well. The server derping out seems to have caused snow biomes to appear all over the place. There's snow biomes at the pyamid, BootyBay and other places where there was no snow to be seen before.

Since their biomes, they can't be easily fixed. THere actually is a way to fix it, but it's damned complicated. So I hope no body minds a little snow here and there? :p At least Al-Medina has stayed desert/rain.

Well, better fucked up biome than other bugs that could have been worse. If however you ever get the courage to fix it... don't hesitate ;)

Ark

HenryHSH said:
Personally I'm okay with it this way. It's just extremely annoying and disappointing. Also, it's always raining in al-medina now.

I'll look further into a fix for it tomorrow (or later today, it's 3am right now)

Posted for new page:

Ark said:

Ranger X said:
Well, better fucked up biome than other bugs that could have been worse. If however you ever get the courage to fix it... don't hesitate ;)

We've got to wait for Toki to update the map again before we know for sure that no actual chunk errors cropped up.

HenryHSH

I fail at reading... LOL

edit: Lost my sand/sandstone again. LOL... I'm gunna call it quits for today. Time to enjoy some fireworks!

2011-07-04_22.58.54lnme.jpg

Al-Medina Laundromat is now working properly (for now) :p

Mik2121

Ark said:

Actually, messed up biomes isn't that bad. I mean, having snow in Bootybay could be cool. Seeing that town with the sea frozen and snow around...? Cool! :p

Mik2121

Toki1776 said:
Updating a new map now. I certainly hope everything is okay, and there's no chunk errors.
Did you trim it down a lot? Hopefully you did :p There was a lot of empty meaningless space...

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
Did you trim it down a lot? Hopefully you did :p There was a lot of empty meaningless space...

Would be best to wait for 1.8 before doing that. There's so much awesome stuff coming in that update!

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
Would be best to wait for 1.8 before doing that. There's so many awesome stuff coming in that update!
Yeah. For the 1.8 I'd love if we could delete some of the empty areas between current spawn and Al-Medina and Bootybay. That area only has like one or two houses that, worst case scenario, could be moved somewhere else. But the people that made them probably aren't even around anymore!.

That way we could have awesome terrain features near the whole activity areas, instead of having to go yet further away. Also, I think before we continue to go further away from spawn, we should make stuff in the areas in-between, potentially ending up with some awesomely long roads that connect the towns!.

Edit: This is how I imagine it:

S82Lx.jpg

Dmax3901

I've been coming in every now and then and doing a Helm's Deep-esque wall and fort thing, but if you guys start making an entirely new city I'd be on all the time to help out :)

Mik2121

Dmax3901 said:
I've been coming in every now and then and doing a Helm's Deep-esque wall and fort thing, but if you guys start making an entirely new city I'd be on all the time to help out :)
My plans would be..

Start working on the Asian (Japanese) town now. We don't need extra features to build that and we can keep people busy with it (except for those still building things in Al-Medina). Right now I'm connecting Al-Medina by road (gravel) all the way west to where I'd like to have the town.

Then, once 1.8 hits we should start working on some epic city for the new spawn. Probably some sort of fortress or whatever. That should be decided with votes.

Mik2121

Dmax3901 said:
I'd love to help with the road, you playing now by any chance?
Not right now. If you go to Al-Medina though, you should be able to easily spot the road. It's on the west side and you can see it from the left side of the mosque. It has a wooden bridge near the end of the road.

Basically the road is: 2 blocks of gravel for the in-land paths, and 4 blocks of wood (2 blocks used for the side fences) for the bridges. I wanna keep it fairly close to the seaside, with bridges here and there to make it more interesting and actually fun to walk through. Add in a couple curves here and there for the same reason (not walking a straight line, but an actual more "realistic" path).

If you wanna help, just go ahead and put some more gravel on the ground. Either that, or make half-blocks of stone and put them to make the steps where it's gravel. Right now you have to jump, and it sucks.

Also, I'm keeping the lights every 6 or 7 blocks (just check on the bridge), so if you wanna light up the gravel path as well (put a fence block and a torch on top), that would be very helpful as well.

I will try to connect sometime soon, but you might have to wait until I finish work... 6 hours from now :(

Edit: Also, the gravel blocks are surrounded by sand except in a couple cases where one side might be showing gravel for a short length, but never both sides.

Top Bottom