• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

HenryHSH

vas_a_morir said:
7. We don't have paper doors... so instead, use sign posts to make an outline for the door. It's kinda like the wood frame on traditional Japanese houses... and really, it is just something to set the style apart from Booty-Bay.

How about for doors, use white wool and let them open to the side using pistons?

Ashodin

bathala said:
its coming closer and closer
tumblr_lnvpoh3rJE1qzb7ox.png

Creative Mode I guess is the current minecraft
It may be nothing, but he's dual-wielding in that pic.

Mik2121

vas_a_morir said:
That would be bad-ass. Just, you know, make sure it doesn't look like booty-bay II, you know?
Yep. That kind of walls is what I was thinking about, as well. I think I will have to practice with pistons and redstone soon....

Maxrpg said:
It may be nothing, but he's dual-wielding in that pic.
Didn't notch say a long time ago that he wanted to make lanterns that would work like current torches, and have torches be an item you can carry around to illuminate your surroundings? Maybe that item goes to your left hand (right in the picture) so that you can use stuff with your right hand like always.

commissar

Mik2121 said:
Didn't notch say a long time ago that he wanted to make lanterns that would work like current torches, and have torches be an item you can carry around to illuminate your surroundings? Maybe that item goes to your left hand (right in the picture) so that you can use stuff with your right hand like always.
I really really hope there will be shields, zombies and skeletons are way too evil ]:

Jasoco said:
Okay, maybe not. Just move the house brick by brick somewhere else. lol

I keep meaning to look around for a spot to build a home but keep getting distracted by the awesome scenery. Eventually I will!!! Eventually!

Has the map been trimmed yet? Is there an up to date full map I can look at?
I think it's a dumb idea for him to have to move? Isn't new spawn going to be way way away?

I was under the impression it was going to start off fresh in uncharted territory?

Articalys

I absolutely cannot wait for sprinting. I don't even care what the tradeoff is going to be (if there is one), I just want my optional faster on-foot speed!

HenryHSH

Articalys said:
I absolutely cannot wait for sprinting. I don't even care what the tradeoff is going to be (if there is one), I just want my optional faster on-foot speed!

Probably have to kill a hedgehog and loot their red shoes.

Ark

Willy105 said:
There is no way that took two days, Ark.

Two days, probably around 16 hours in total :)

Ranger X said:
Ark is God. "Cheating" isn't a concept that can apply for him. :p

Most of it was placed by hand :(

commissar said:
I was under the impression it was going to start off fresh in uncharted territory?

If you're talking about the new spawn, it will be.

Holy crap, I was visiting the server just to admire people's stuff, and the scale of that pyramid is ridiculous. That's an incredible feat of patience AND looks really nice. You guys build all the stuff on Neocraft by hand, right?

Mik2121

fredrancour said:
Holy crap, I was visiting the server just to admire people's stuff, and the scale of that pyramid is ridiculous. That's an incredible feat of patience AND looks really nice. You guys build all the stuff on Neocraft by hand, right?
Yup. Everything there has been built by hand.

IMO, the must-see buildings are:

The Pyramid near the Spawn
The Mosque (being built now) in Al-Medina
Bootybay (as a whole, a very nice place to take a walk around)
Al-Medina (same as above)
Moria (same as above)

Then there's the huge skull a couple guys built in the entrance of a tunnel, on the side of a mountain, but forgot where it is.

And for some minor buildings:

The floating island right above spawn (I built it, lol)
The library in Al-Medina
The Hill Network (all the buildings on the hill in front of spawn after crossing the first building)
The East Towers or whatever the name was. A bunch of tall towers a couple guys built behind the Hill Network.
The fortress Ark made. It's connected to Spawn with a long rail system. You have to cross the first building on Spawn (the hotel with the rooms on the second floor) and then go South (right side) until you see the station. Then just follow the rails or use a cart and go there fast.

Woorloog

Banned
Hi guys... i wonder what's been going on (reading the thread soon(ish)), my internet connection was out from friday till monday. I hate not being up-to-date with everything... internet connection should be included in basic human rights.

1.7 working without bigger issues?

Enco

HenryHSH said:
This cracked me up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKAqPDVrpkg
zvn24.gif

Edit: so duel wielding in 1.8? /points at adventure banner
Haha great video.

I like his voice :p

edit: 1.8 should be good. Lets just hope there are more items and more loot. Without this I still wouldn't have a good reason to explore (hate to mention this again, but Terraria does this well. It has lots of items that make exploration fun and rewarding). Don't disappoint notch! If this doesn't work out, I'm over the game for good.

Mik2121

what.the.fuck.!

I just saw NeoCraft's sewer (minecart is a must) and.. holy crap. How long did it take you guys (who made this??)?. Even going through it with a cart takes a few minutes, I can't imagine how long it took to build it...

Also, is it finished? The last stop feels too abrupt, so I guess it's still a work in progress.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
what.the.fuck.!

I just saw NeoCraft's sewer (minecart is a must) and.. holy crap. How long did it take you guys (who made this??)?. Even going through it with a cart takes a few minutes, I can't imagine how long it took to build it...

Also, is it finished? The last stop feels too abrupt, so I guess it's still a work in progress.

woaa wait, Sewers???

NeXuSDK

I'm really interested in the direction that Notch is going with the Adventure update, from what we've heard so far, but I really hope he/they stick to the foundation of user-generated content and somehow make it blend really seamless together.

Fx, many of you guys are building wonderful environments. Imagine to have tools to make these environments more "alive", being to place NPC's, monsters, missions/quests etc.

Now imagine being able to "upload" this area to MineCloud, and when you start a new world yourself, the randomly generated world can access MineCloud to pull in various user-built areas, such as cities, dungeons and so forth.

With enough user-generated content, that will constantly expand and evolve, the procedurally generated game world will become even more interesting, varied and immersive.

Mik2121

NeXuSDK said:
I'm really interested in the direction that Notch is going with the Adventure update, from what we've heard so far, but I really hope he/they stick to the foundation of user-generated content and somehow make it blend really seamless together.

Fx, many of you guys are building wonderful environments. Imagine to have tools to make these environments more "alive", being to place NPC's, monsters, missions/quests etc.

Now imagine being able to "upload" this area to MineCloud, and when you start a new world yourself, the randomly generated world can access MineCloud to pull in various user-built areas, such as cities, dungeons and so forth.

With enough user-generated content, that will constantly expand and evolve, the procedurally generated game world will become even more interesting, varied and immersive.
Can't wait to load up a map and be in penis-land!. Hahaha

But yeah, what you say would be amazing. Imagine having people submitting certain buildings, then having them show up as ruins (with cobblestone blocks swapped with moss cobblestone blocks, missing some walls, with dirt around and trees growing, etc..). Then have a rating system where people can vote buildings and they will be more prone to show up in maps. Or you being able to "order" buildings for your environment that show up in random places, as ruins or the original buildings.

I think it could be great, but the only thing I don't want are NPC buildings for multiplayer. They would most likely get in the way :p

Mik2121 said:
I think it could be great, but the only thing I don't want are NPC buildings for multiplayer. They would most likely get in the way :p

I don't see that they would - a lot of the places on the server are ghost towns, it'd be great to warp there and see NPC's going about routines and using the buildings etc.

Personally the way I've always envisioned it is that there should be natural NPC villages in the wilderness that you can discover, but if you construct a building in your own settlement that meets a specific purpose (i.e, a bakery) and has all the tools and items necessary for that purpose, then you can 'open' the building and allow an NPC to move it. Then you can trade for their services and maybe take on simple fetch quests for them.

I just think it would be really gratifying to create a settlement and then see it come to life with activity, rather than become a ghost town when all the builders move on to something else.

Mik2121

Bootaaay said:
I don't see that they would - a lot of the places on the server are ghost towns, it'd be great to warp there and see NPC's going about routines and using the buildings etc.

Personally the way I've always envisioned it is that there should be natural NPC villages in the wilderness that you can discover, but if you construct a building in your own settlement that meets a specific purpose (i.e, a bakery) and has all the tools and items necessary for that purpose, then you can 'open' the building and allow an NPC to move it. Then you can trade for their services and maybe take on simple fetch quests for them.

I just think it would be really gratifying to create a settlement and then see it come to life with activity, rather than become a ghost town when all the builders move on to something else.
That's kinda how Terraria works, right? I don't have the game though, so I dunno. I wonder if Notch would actually add something that another game (originally "copying" Minecraft nevertheless!) did first.

Anyway, it would be pretty cool. But before that, Notch needs to add LOTS of new items and stuff to collect. I'm more interested in that.

NeXuSDK

Mik2121 said:
Can't wait to load up a map and be in penis-land!. Hahaha

But yeah, what you say would be amazing. Imagine having people submitting certain buildings, then having them show up as ruins (with cobblestone blocks swapped with moss cobblestone blocks, missing some walls, with dirt around and trees growing, etc..). Then have a rating system where people can vote buildings and they will be more prone to show up in maps. Or you being able to "order" buildings for your environment that show up in random places, as ruins or the original buildings.

Great idea with a rating system!

But in any case, there should be an option to use or not use user-created content.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mik2121 said:
what.the.fuck.!

Um, what....sewers? Where on the server is it? Who made it? What...sewers?

I think I need to take a night or two and just tour the server again, I've never heard of a sewer project on Neocraft and this irritates me, LOL!

Toki1776

Mengy said:
Um, what....sewers? Where on the server is it? Who made it? What...sewers?

I think I need to take a night or two and just tour the server again, I've never heard of a sewer project on Neocraft and this irritates me, LOL!

Yep, the sewers are on Neocraft. They run a north/south course along the northwest side of the map. They do show up on the cave map, even though it's poorly updated right now (sorry!).

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Toki1776 said:
Yep, the sewers are on Neocraft. They run a north/south course along the northwest side of the map. They do show up on the cave map, even though it's poorly updated right now (sorry!).

I'm at work now so I can't go in game at the moment, but from looking at the dropbox map, are the sewers that real freakin long underground tunnel running N-S in the NW corner of the map that seems to start at a blue building of some kind on the surface, go underwater for a bit, then rise way up and then dive down all the way to the bottom and runs there for hundreds of blocks?

If so, then cool. Either way, I'm doing some exploring when I get home tonight. So many things on the server that I still haven't seen, it's almost mind boggling. One could play Minecraft without actually building or mining anything, but just spend all of thier time sightseeing other people's creations...

Ark

Mengy said:
I'm at work now so I can't go in game at the moment, but from looking at the dropbox map, are the sewers that real freakin long underground tunnel running N-S in the NW corner of the map that seems to start at a blue building of some kind on the surface, go underwater for a bit, then rise way up and then dive down all the way to the bottom and runs there for hundreds of blocks?

If so, then cool. Either way, I'm doing some exploring when I get home tonight. So many things on the server that I still haven't seen, it's almost mind boggling. One could play Minecraft without actually building or mining anything, but just spend all of thier time sightseeing other people's creations...

Yup, that's the one! I believe they're taking the sewers to Moria, and possibly elsewhere.

Sophuis

Neo Member
I've been having some terrible lag spikes ever since 1.6. Locks up the game for half a second every few seconds, both on singleplayer and multiplayer, self hosted or otherwise. Makes it completely unplayable for me. Had some hope it would be stomped in 1.7, but no luck.

Something about a change in 1.6 causing the game to save chunks every two seconds, but I only have it on my PC which is a fair beast, while I'm reduced to playing it on a laptop for my fix, and that thing's pretty pathetic but runs the game smooth as silk.

Looked up the official forums and there's a fair chunk of the posters there suffering from it too, but I haven't seen it mentioned here.

Ranger X

Sophuis said:
I've been having some terrible lag spikes ever since 1.6. Locks up the game for half a second every few seconds, both on singleplayer and multiplayer, self hosted or otherwise. Makes it completely unplayable for me. Had some hope it would be stomped in 1.7, but no luck.

Something about a change in 1.6 causing the game to save chunks every two seconds, but I only have it on my PC which is a fair beast, while I'm reduced to playing it on a laptop for my fix, and that thing's pretty pathetic but runs the game smooth as silk.

Looked up the official forums and there's a fair chunk of the posters there suffering from it too, but I haven't seen it mentioned here.

How do you toggle your game into fullscreen mode? If you use the windows' buttons on the top right, the game runs like shit. If you go into fullscreen mode with F11 = silk smooth.

Sophuis

Neo Member
What the hell?

I was gonna say that I don't play in fullscreen mode, since I like to have a series I'm catching up on running in the background while I carve out a mountain or something. But I tried putting it into fullscreen with F11 and the problem is fucking gone.

I'm gonna have to find some audiobooks to keep me from lapsing into catatonia now, but I can play again.

Ranger X for president. Thanks man.

Jasoco

Banned
Gonna build a house today... just have to eat my dinner first...

Mmmm... Dominos Bread Bowl 3-cheese Macaroni.. Goddamn that's good.

So, I really want to build a good drawbridge for my castle town with pistons, but I'm having trouble planning. The problem is, instead of making a bridge that's two blocks wide, which is easy to build and hide, I want one that's 6 wide. Maybe 4 if 6 is impossible. Anyone have any good ideas?

Septimius

Man. I just started playing Minecraft (yes, I feel like I've never been more late to the party) and, man, I had no idea spiders could CLIMB WALLS.

Second night, I was crafting, when suddeny A SPIDER IN MY HOUSE. Honorable way to die, though. Stressful making it back to my house after having died, though, during the night!

Honestly, combat in Minecraft is terrible. I cannot get a hit in without getting hit myself due to lag. You got a skeleton, and are like "STAB STAB STAB STAB *Ommph* STAB STAB *KLICK*"

It's always a 1 to 1 trade-off. They need to nerf monsters. One spider can take off half of your health.

Grinchy

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
Honestly, combat in Minecraft is terrible. I cannot get a hit in without getting hit myself due to lag. You got a skeleton, and are like "STAB STAB STAB STAB *Ommph* STAB STAB *KLICK*"

It's always a 1 to 1 trade-off. They need to nerf monsters. One spider can take off half of your health.
I find it pretty easy to pull off in single player. I've only been on one server so far where the combat was playable, unfortunately.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
vas_a_morir said:

This. It'd be fine if there were fewer mobs to deal with at a time, but considering they appear in groups a little nerfing would be nice. Or a shield.

I find I have more success attacking enemies on the server if I hold down shift while I'm attacking as you don't move back as much when hit by the enemy. This often lets me kill anything (except pain in the ass skeletons) with only taking a single hit of damage, or sometimes none at all.

Ranger X

vas_a_morir said:

In single player it works fine. In multiplayer however, the only way to not get hit is to use bow and arrows. Seriously, arrows are your friend -- craft them. Collect them from the Mob Grinder too.

ZZMitch

vas_a_morir said:

No way, monsters need a buff if anything. The game gets too easy to early IMO.

vas_a_morir said:

Yeah, I agree and I'm glad it's one of the big things coming in 1.8. I seem to remember him saying somewhere (for the life of me I can't remember) how he thought arrows should work. It would be like, if you really quickly clicked, your aim would be poor and you'd do less damage, but if you held the button, you could line up the shot better, improving aim and damage. That would be so awesome.

Mik2121

ZZMitch said:
No way, monsters need a buff if anything. The game gets too easy to early IMO.
We need more different monsters. Not buff. We need different monsters that need different tactics and only show in certain areas. Right now we have:

-Zombies /melee attack/
-Skeletons (archer) /distance attack/
-Creepers /melee attack/ (sorta)
-Spiders /melee attack/

What about adding things like

-Bats: Limited to caves. Melee attack takes half heart and only attacks in the dark (put a torch and you're safe, but you can still kill it for the drop)

-Dragons (Fire, Water, Earth, metallic, black, etc...): Limited to their own environments for spawn (Fire=Lava, Water=Ocean or water pools, etc...), have their own chest that you can open at any time but the dragon will probably destroy you if you try to open it before killing him.

-Golems (same as dragons): Maybe have them drop some special items plus tons of blocks of the material they were made of (cobblestone, dirt, gold, etc..).

Dunno, there are so many things to add, I would spend all day here. I don't think we need to buff the current monsters, but definitely add some stronger ones (and some weaker ones too).

Top Bottom