• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Anyone played with Yogbox at all? It's a singleplayer mod pack put together by the yogscast people "of the best mods out there, designed to be virus+malware free(!) and enhance and improve the minecraft single player experience without distracting from the enjoyment, atmosphere and general awesomeness of the vanilla game."

Looks pretty effing legit, to the point where it practically turns the game into Minecraft 2. About to give it a whirl.

EVIL

to bad there isnt a large canyon on the map, would be cool to have some sort of cliff city

3557121-The-Cliff-City-0.jpg

City_That_Hangs_Over_A_Cliff_1.jpg

in a canyon you could have bridges bridging the gaps from side to side

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mik2121 said:
Yeah. For the 1.8 I'd love if we could delete some of the empty areas between current spawn and Al-Medina and Bootybay. That area only has like one or two houses that, worst case scenario, could be moved somewhere else. But the people that made them probably aren't even around anymore!.

That way we could have awesome terrain features near the whole activity areas, instead of having to go yet further away. Also, I think before we continue to go further away from spawn, we should make stuff in the areas in-between, potentially ending up with some awesomely long roads that connect the towns!.

Edit: This is how I imagine it:

S82Lx.jpg

Okay, well the house at the tip of the left yellow arrow is Ark's, and the house at the tip of the right yellow arrow is mine, LOL. We kind of picked those spots because there wasn't much around. If we are going to wipe that area then let me know now and I'll stop working on it completely and tear it down to save my materials. I picked my spot because of the geography of the area, very scenic and will allow me to build a little river canyon and have a bridge and all, so I really don't want it moved someplace else.

So please let me know and if you are going to wipe it then I'll start the deconstruction.

Mik2121

Mengy said:
Okay, well the house at the tip of the left yellow arrow is Ark's, and the house at the tip of the right yellow arrow is mine, LOL. We kind of picked those spots because there wasn't much around. If we are going to wipe that area then let me know now and I'll stop working on it completely and tear it down to save my materials. I picked my spot because of the geography of the area, very scenic and will allow me to build a little river canyon and have a bridge and all, so I really don't want it moved someplace else.

So please let me know and if you are going to wipe it then I'll start the deconstruction.
Sorry. I thought those houses would be abandoned, didn't expect anybody to be working on them now!.

Anyway, maybe Ark could move that block somewhere else and put your house somewhere else?. I know you picked those spots because there was nothing around, but with 1.8 we will have many new terrain features that probably you would benefit of, too. I guess we could just skip your house and Ark's and just re-generate everything else. Plus, that would give us growing grass everywhere! :p

Ark

Mik2121 said:
My plans would be..

Start working on the Asian (Japanese) town now. We don't need extra features to build that and we can keep people busy with it (except for those still building things in Al-Medina). Right now I'm connecting Al-Medina by road (gravel) all the way west to where I'd like to have the town.

Then, once 1.8 hits we should start working on some epic city for the new spawn. Probably some sort of fortress or whatever. That should be decided with votes.

My idea for the 1.8 city spawn was an Asian themed city..

Please don't connect the two towns with gravel, I'm going to make the tram system at Al-Medina once I finish the Hotel, there's no need for gravel (eww) roads :p

Ranger X said:
Would be best to wait for 1.8 before doing that. There's so much awesome stuff coming in that update!

The map will be trimmed down for 1.8, I'm still waiting for Toki to trim down the map now. We're sat at 330mb because a few people decided to go UBER explore when I said the map would be trimmed. Man I think I've said this at least 8 times now.

Toki1776 said:
Updating a new map now. I certainly hope everything is okay, and there's no chunk errors.

Did you upload an older backup? Because the map has gone backwards in time :p

Mik2121

Ark said:
My idea for the 1.8 city spawn was an Asian themed city..

Please don't connect the two towns with gravel, I'm going to make the tram system at Al-Medina once I finish the Hotel, there's no need for gravel (eww) roads :p

The map will be trimmed down for 1.8, I'm still waiting for Toki to trim down the map now. We're sat at 330mb because a few people decided to go UBER explore when I said the map would be trimmed. Man I think I've said this at least 8 times now.
I'm already way into with the road and even though it's gravel, it doesn't look half bad... Plus, a tram system would require having a cart, something most of the people never bring with them!. We can have a tram system connecting:

Asian Town - Spawn - Bootybay - Al-Medina - Asian Town. Kinda like a circular line. And then have the new spawn in the center with a different theme? Dunno, it would feel weird to have a themed town like that (Asian) for the spawn. I think a more "minecraft-ish" town would fit better. Plus, we can go with something of a bigger scale, and until 1.8 we will have something to do (for those of us "done" with Al-Medina buildings).

What do you think?

As for the roads, I think it's good to have the roads around too so people can connect their buildings to them, and if they go and explore a bit, they can find a road and just look for a sign and see where they are.

Ark

Mik2121 said:
I'm already way into with the road and even though it's gravel, it doesn't look half bad... Plus, a tram system would require having a cart, something most of the people never bring with them!. We can have a tram system connecting:

Asian Town - Spawn - Bootybay - Al-Medina - Asian Town. Kinda like a circular line. And then have the new spawn in the center with a different theme? Dunno, it would feel weird to have a themed town like that (Asian) for the spawn. I think a more "minecraft-ish" town would fit better. Plus, we can go with something of a bigger scale, and until 1.8 we will have something to do (for those of us "done" with Al-Medina buildings).

What do you think?

As for the roads, I think it's good to have the roads around too so people can connect their buildings to them, and if they go and explore a bit, they can find a road and just look for a sign and see where they are.

You don't think I've already worked out a solution for the minecart issue? ;)

The new spawn is going to be far away, probably far north-east of Al-Medina. The problem with gravel roads is that we get the problem we had when the server started. Random roads going no where with one or two buildings there. I just think there's no need for a road imo.

Mik2121

Ark said:
You don't think I've already worked out a solution for the minecart issue? ;)

The new spawn is going to be far away, probably far north-east of Al-Medina. The problem with gravel roads is that we get the problem we had when the server started. Random roads going no where with one or two buildings there. I just think there's no need for a road imo.
North-East of Al-Medina? Wouldn't that make Bootybay even further and the old spawn like.. incredibly far? I thought the center area between Al-Medina, Bootybay and old Spawn would be perfect. If just to have it all more compact, instead of super spread everywhere. Just think that when people reach the new spawn, after building around it they will spread further, making the map even larger, when they could just fill-in the empty areas between the current towns.

Just my take, anyway.

As for the roads, if people put a sign saying where each path takes when they connect their house to a main road, there shouldn't be any problem. Plus it feels a bit more... real? Dunno, just my guess. Wonder what everybody else thinks about it though.

Ark

Mik2121 said:
North-East of Al-Medina? Wouldn't that make Bootybay even further and the old spawn like.. incredibly far? I thought the center area between Al-Medina, Bootybay and old Spawn would be perfect. If just to have it all more compact, instead of super spread everywhere. Just think that when people reach the new spawn, after building around it they will spread further, making the map even larger, when they could just fill-in the empty areas between the current towns.

Just my take, anyway.

As for the roads, if people put a sign saying where each path takes when they connect their house to a main road, there shouldn't be any problem. Plus it feels a bit more... real? Dunno, just my guess. Wonder what everybody else thinks about it though.

The whole point for making the new spawn far away is that we get the most of the new terrain features in 1.8. Sure we could take out that small chunk of land you suggested, but it's really not big enough considering how far people go exploring. The map size increasing is inevitable.

I've just seen your road, I didn't realise it was that road you was building. Which is fine, I can still build my tram system :)

EVIL

anyone know what these terrain features would be? that will be arriving in 1.8? I only heard about underground cave canyons, but thats about it.

Ark

EVIL said:
anyone know what these terrain features would be? that will be arriving in 1.8? I only heard about underground cave canyons, but thats about it.

Only just ravines and NPC villages, but that's enough to win me over :p

Mik2121

EVIL said:
Yeah, I think that's the only one we've heard of, but supposedly Notch is adding a bunch.

Finally getting the hang of pistons and redstone - really wish I'd bothered to learn redstone earlier, as it's far from self explanatory and the quirks involved with both redstone and pistons make it a bit of a chore building stuff with hidden wiring and the like.

Made a secret passageway in the basement of my house in Al-Medina that pulls two rows of blocks back to reveal a staircase;

2011-07-05_121748.png

2011-07-05_121803.png

To get it to work I had to place redstone inverter blocks behind each piston

2011-07-05_121146.png

Then repeaters behind each inverter block set so it'll open sequentially;

2011-07-05_121207.png

Total pain in the ass to figure out without a guide. That's definitely something Notch needs to work on, so much of this game requires outside explanation.

Bootaaay said:
Finally getting the hang of pistons and redstone - really wish I'd bothered to learn redstone earlier, as it's far from self explanatory and the quirks involved with both redstone and pistons make it a bit of a chore building stuff with hidden wiring and the like.

Made a secret passageway in the basement of my house in Al-Medina that pulls two rows of blocks back to reveal a staircase;

2011-07-05_121748.png

What texture pack is this?

Kyaw

How does this NPC villages work which is apparently coming out in the next patch?

I have missed quite a lot on the server.... :p

On my nearly a week long holiday, i have thought up a grand idea of a steampunk/industrial harbour city. It's hard to explain with words, so i will draw up some concepts and plans when i get back.

It will be a community project if Arkano approves as it will be quite a massive project and a lot of terraforming will be required unless there is a perfect spot on the map.

I will probably update more on this on Friday or Thursday.

Mengy

Ark said:
The whole point for making the new spawn far away is that we get the most of the new terrain features in 1.8. Sure we could take out that small chunk of land you suggested, but it's really not big enough considering how far people go exploring. The map size increasing is inevitable.

Yeah, I figured the new spawn would be far FAR away, like an entirely new area so we had room to expand and explore with all new generated chunks.

Actually, thinking about Mik's post and that ranch I have in the middle of nowhere that Mik talked about wiping out, I was building that to be my new main base. But now that I think about it, I'd rather my new main base be in the new spawn area with new generation and whatnot. I think I'll just finish that ranch up as a little project instead and then kill time working on Moria and Booty Bay until 1.8 hits. I would still like to make a grand hall entrance to Moria. And I haven't built anything in Al Medina yet. And I need to build a place in the Nether yet.

So the new spawn area will have an Asian theme to it? I'd like to make a larger and better sandstone tower/fortress somewhere in the new 1.8 area. I guess I'll have to travel a bit away from the new spawn then, far enough away to not spoil the area's theme or atmosphere.

Ark

Mengy said:
Yeah, I figured the new spawn would be far FAR away, like an entirely new area so we had room to expand and explore with all new generated chunks.

So the new spawn area will have an Asian theme to it? I'd like to make a larger and better sandstone tower/fortress somewhere in the new 1.8 area. I guess I'll have to travel a bit away from the new spawn then, far enough away to not spoil the area's theme or atmosphere.

I'm still waiting for 1.8 so that I can build my damned tree house, I can't wait to start building it. Although if you're planning on building in one of the 3 towns, I'd say you should build in Al-Medina. Moria is kinda deserted now, but Al-Medina just keeps on growing.

The new spawn area theme is yet to be decided, I'll leave that up to the community for ideas, then I'll throw up another (better) poll like last time.

TenaciousNorth said:
What texture pack is this?

Only the best motherfucking texture pack ever.

Kyaw said:
How does this NPC villages work which is apparently coming out in the next patch?

It will be a community project if Arkano approves as it will be quite a massive project and a lot of terraforming will be required unless there is a perfect spot on the map.

There probably wont be any more community projects until 1.8, unless anything changes. We've got Al-Medina still growing and Mik & Vas are starting up an Asian town.

Ark

Kyaw said:
That's fine, gives me more time to plan stuff if that's what you meant.

I didn't say anything about planning stuff. We just don't need 3 different community projects going on at once.

Still waiting for Toki to trim the map.

Mengy

Ark said:
I'm still waiting for 1.8 so that I can build my damned tree house, I can't wait to start building it. Although if you're planning on building in one of the 3 towns, I'd say you should build in Al-Medina. Moria is kinda deserted now, but Al-Medina just keeps on growing.

Moria may be a ghost town, but it's probably still my favorite place on the server. But then I'm a dwarf at heart, I just love to build and mine under the ground in Minecraft. I have a few other plans for things in Moria that I'll probably never get around to. Like for example, I wanted to build a minecart station next to my house in Moria with several different track spurs up to scenic points high in the surface mountains above. Kind of like a scenic railway system. But I need to make a huge branch mine somewhere first to get the materials to do it.

Yeah, I love to dig under the dirt...

onken

I wanted to build in Moria but no damn space, can't even tunnel out a new section without wrecking someone else's shit.

Mengy

onken said:
I wanted to build in Moria but no damn space, can't even tunnel out a new section without wrecking someone else's shit.

Yeah, if we ever make a Moria 2 we should make it a long cavern or underground canyon instead of a ring, that would be a more expandable design.

Actually, an underground cliff city in a lava canyon near bedrock sounds really awesome. For that matter, make the canyon open to the surface, or at least make part of it open. Yeah, have the canyon start right at the edge of an ocean, so that the ocean can flow into a huge waterfall that creates the river at the bottom of the canyon. And then build houses into the cliff faces both high and low in the canyon, with wooden bridges and walkways spanning back and forth over the river.

Hmmmm. I just got an idea for a new project to keep me busy until 1.8....

EVIL

Mengy said:
Yeah, if we ever make a Moria 2 we should make it a long cavern or underground canyon instead of a ring, that would be a more expandable design.

Actually, an underground cliff city in a lava canyon near bedrock sounds really awesome. For that matter, make the canyon open to the surface, or at least make part of it open. Yeah, have the canyon start right at the edge of an ocean, so that the ocean can flow into a huge waterfall that creates the river at the bottom of the canyon. And then build houses into the cliff faces both high and low in the canyon, with wooden bridges and walkways spanning back and forth over the river.

Hmmmm. I just got an idea for a new project to keep me busy until 1.8....
this sounds awesome! I'm in!

edit: come to think of it, I have never been to moria, where is it located?

Ramma2

Is there any good way to do a minecart switch with a piston? Switch on you go one way, switch off you go another? I found something on youtube but it looked terribly complicated.

Vlad

Ramma2 said:
Is there any good way to do a minecart switch with a piston? Switch on you go one way, switch off you go another? I found something on youtube but it looked terribly complicated.

Well, you can push the tracks themselves around, so you could theoretically push straight track segments so that they end up joining with different tracks.

The question, though, is why would you want to use pistons instead of just using the existing track switch mechanics?

Ramma2

Vlad said:
Well, you can push the tracks themselves around, so you could theoretically push straight track segments so that they end up joining with different tracks.

The question, though, is why would you want to use pistons instead of just using the existing track switch mechanics?

Helps to know that such a monster existed. Thanks =)

Jasoco

Banned
Mengy said:

Or you could refuse to move while secretly blowing up thousands of balloons only to lift off just before they haul you off to the rest home.

That would work in Minecraft, right?

Right?

Okay, maybe not. Just move the house brick by brick somewhere else. lol

I keep meaning to look around for a spot to build a home but keep getting distracted by the awesome scenery. Eventually I will!!! Eventually!

Has the map been trimmed yet? Is there an up to date full map I can look at?

Ark

The Hotel Arabia is complete! And it only took 2 days :)

QR7Br.jpg

The view of the hotel from the top of the Library!

wF0yn.jpg

The view of the hotel from the top of the Mosque!

vSLSv.jpg

The view of my hotel from the back!

Sorry that all the pics are huge :p

Really pleased that I managed to start & finish this in two days. Now I can start working on the Al-Medina subway/minecart station.

Ark

That worries me slightly, does that mean if current Minecraft is creative Minecraft, we'll have to create a whole new seed/map for 1.8 Adventure Minecraft?

I hope not :(

Mik2121

Ark said:
That worries me slightly, does that mean if current Minecraft is creative Minecraft, we'll have to create a whole new seed/map for 1.8 Adventure Minecraft?

I hope not :(
Maybe not. The update is quite big, maybe they just wanted to announce it with a new logo for it, but it will just blend in with what we already have?

Plus, I think I heard someone from Mojang (? always get the spelling wrong) saying the new terrain elements would appear on newly created chunks. But I might be wrong....

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
bathala said:
its coming closer and closer
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnvpoh3rJE1qzb7ox.png

Creative Mode I guess is the current minecraft

Hell yea!

The best part of Minecraft was those first couple of hours, desperately trying to build a shelter while being attacked by a horde of zombies, creepers, and spiders. Eventually, you get armor and a bow which makes everything a cakewalk. If Notch can recapture that feeling of danger, I might just start up single player again.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
Maybe not. The update is quite big, maybe they just wanted to announce it with a new logo for it, but it will just blend in with what we already have?

Plus, I think I heard someone from Mojang (? always get the spelling wrong) saying the new terrain elements would appear on newly created chunks. But I might be wrong....

Every new thing always appear only on newly generated chunks. Previously generated chunks are never updated when you re-run your world after patching.

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
Every new thing always appear only on newly generated chunks. Previously generated chunks are never updated when you re-run your world after patching.
I know, I know. What I meant with "I might be wrong" was the part about someone from Mojang saying that, or someone else "supposing" it would happen. :p

Okay, So I started work on the East-Asian style city that Mik had talked about before. So far, I only have my house and the Dojo, which is where the rules for building will be posted.

We talked about it a little, and it seems everyone is down with stricter rules.

Some rules that people have been kicking around that seem like they might upset some people are:

1. In order to build in the Asian themed city (Okay, fuck it, it's Japanese lol), you must first have a proper building in Al-Medina.

2. The city will be a strictly planned city, which means each new builder will be given a specific lot to build in. They can do whatever they want inside the space, so as long as it fits the aesthetic. If somebody has something big in mind, we can work with the size.

It's very difficult to isolate what makes a city look 'Japanese' but the biggest things you need to watch are:

1. The Roof. Pointy stuff on the roof makes it look Asian. It's true!

2. The interior. In Japan, every house I've been in or seen has a section where you take off your shoes. The living area is distinctly different than this section. Always a different surface.

3. Most Japanese sleep on the floor. Beds are a no-no.

4. High border-walls, fairly tight to the building.

5. No huge back yard/empty property. Things like elaborate gardens can be built, but when you build them, think of them as more of a public place for the community. I want tightly congested development so that it better reflects Japanese communities. Al-Medina is mostly a few very big elaborate buildings. What I would like to see is a lot of very small and intricate things together.

6. Sugar-cane looks like bamboo. Something to keep in mind. lol

7. We don't have paper doors... so instead, use sign posts to make an outline for the door. It's kinda like the wood frame on traditional Japanese houses... and really, it is just something to set the style apart from Booty-Bay.

Think clean, conservative, and comparatively small. My house, which is kind of a style guide in itself, was rather expensive to build (White/Brown wool) and is surprisingly small on the inside. I built the dojo to show that you don't have to use wool or a wood roof. Find a picture of a Japanese building you like, and try to use that one as an inspiration! Chinese/Korean style stuff is fine, too.

Now, I am completely open to suggestions, including what kind of roads to use and what kind of buildings to build. Also, I am open to names for the city, although the name "Arkyo-to" or just "Arkyo" is catching some steam. It's means basically "Ark's Capital City" in Japanese, based loosely off the real capital city's name, Tokyo-to. Anyway, that's my submission.

RV8AR.jpg

pI7c3.jpg

What say you, Gaf?

Mik2121

Hey, vas_a_morir, that's looking hot. I will try to gather wool and make my house too. We also need to work on the castle soon. I saw one on Google that could be good inspiration (search for "Minecraft Japanese building", it should show up around the top).

Mik2121 said:
Hey, vas_a_morir, that's looking hot. I will try to gather wool and make my house too. We also need to work on the castle soon. I saw one on Google that could be good inspiration (search for "Minecraft Japanese building", it should show up around the top).

Alright. We'll get the planning set.

Mik2121

vas_a_morir said:
Alright. We'll get the planning set.
Sweet. BTW I would like to also make an "Inn" in the village with my own room inside it (probably using the top floor for that). So if possible, I'd like to have a bit extra space for the building and a small garden. Sorta like this:

love-hina-sim-date-rpg.jpg

I would look for better pics, but this is from the manga/anime "Love Hina". I'm at work and definitely don't want my coworkers to think I'm looking for anime pics at work... lol.

Top Bottom