• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mik2121

Have you planned the inside already? Hopefully the inside area isn't too convoluted, or the scale feel will be lost. I checked on Google and it seems like most mosques don't have many stuff inside. Kewl.

mcrae

EskimoJoe said:
So, I really want to build a good drawbridge for my castle town with pistons, but I'm having trouble planning. The problem is, instead of making a bridge that's two blocks wide, which is easy to build and hide, I want one that's 6 wide. Maybe 4 if 6 is impossible. Anyone have any good ideas?

look back a few pages, i posted a graphic showing how to chain 3 pistons together, and someone posted one before that how to do an even more compact 2 pistons.

HenryHSH

Mik2121 said:
Have you planned the inside already? Hopefully the inside area isn't too convoluted, or the scale feel will be lost. I checked on Google and it seems like most mosques don't have many stuff inside. Kewl.

I haven't planned the inside yet, but I've had an idea on how I want it to look for a while now. It's going to be fairly open, and (hopefully) very lit.

I'm making some glass to put on the remaining windows and the mosque's exterior will be finished! :D

HenryHSH

Sorry for double!

I'm not sure about the glass on all the windows though. Might remove it as it doesn't look good in a lot of texture packs I tested it in.

Also, I'm not sure why torches aren't lit... Hmm.

Jasoco

Banned
I built a house today...

Utjfx.png

XlL4b.png

VYJtl.png

It was originally just going to be a small starter house. A kind of lake-side summer home with a dock and a single story. But it turned into a 3 story including basement not including small storage space in the attic home. It has a kitchen and living room and a bedroom upstairs. A basement with all my goodies. And the dock into the semi-frozen lake and a semi-complete back yard.

I'm not 100% satisfied with it though. When laying it out I couldn't decide where I was going to put the fireplaces and stairs. Since I wanted the stairs to line up all the way. And since any wall with a fireplace or a stairway won't have windows, I had to plan carefully. I am satisfied with the stair location, but wish I had put the fireplace on the other end. Basically flipping the first floor design I have now. I just don't like having the chimney on the "front" of the house.

I also couldn't decide between wood and stone stairs for the roof. I really wish they'd give us more materials to make stairs out of so we can have more colorful roofs. Stone would have blended with the chimney, but wood is flammable.Still, it should be well protected since I lined it with stone inside since light still leaks through stairs.

Also, for some reason, it never snows here, it always rains, so it never covers the ground with snow again. Quite disappointing since I can't put snow back myself.

Also, I had to manually remove three large stone and dirt mounds. One from off to the left of the first shot. I was originally going to put my house there. Second from that area in the water where there's no ice. That used to be a large rock. Removing it made the lake bigger looking. And lastly, a mound of stone where the house is now.

The house is located in the Tundra. It's quite easy to find. It's just down hill from triplsek's floating castle and the warp point. Warp to Tundra and turn left. I'm not sure how isolated from the rest of the world the Tundra is. I've only explored far enough to find the many unfinished bridges and castles connecting the mountains to the North.

Just started playing the game yesterday and built my first place inside a 'natural' cave, got totally carried away with corridors and levels etc.

This might be a stupid question, so forgive me, but all these amazing HUGE places you guys are building, are you mining (and furnacing/mixing up) all the materials you use or is there some kind of glitch/cheat/gift system you're using? I only ask because I spent quite a while mining underground (and getting killed by nasties and lava) and I found very small amounts of Lapis lazuli, iron ore and redstone and not much else - it blows my mind thinking about mining all that raw materials for these huge projects. :)

Mik2121

Red Liquorice said:
Just started playing the game yesterday and built my first place inside a 'natural' cave, got totally carried away with corridors and levels etc.

This might be a stupid question, so forgive me, but all these amazing HUGE places you guys are building, are you mining (and furnacing/mixing up) all the materials you use or is there some kind of glitch/cheat/gift system you're using? I only ask because I spent quite a while mining underground (and getting killed by nasties and lava) and I found very small amounts of Lapis lazuli, iron ore and redstone and not much else - it blows my mind thinking about mining all that raw materials for these huge projects. :)
Yep. We mine everything. But we don't usually use much lapis lazuli nor gold (nor diamond.. snifff). But iron ore isn't all that rare. Same for redstone. Plus, each block of redstone drops 4 pieces!. Soon you will be mining and just skipping all the red blocks because you got too many already, unless you're making lots of piston contraptions :p

Mik2121 said:
Yep. We mine everything. But we don't usually use much lapis lazuli nor gold (nor diamond.. snifff). But iron ore isn't all that rare. Same for redstone. Plus, each block of redstone drops 4 pieces!. Soon you will be mining and just skipping all the red blocks because you got too many already, unless you're making lots of piston contraptions :p
OK, wow that makes even doubley impressive to mine everything! I did find a few pieces of diamond, but I'm super-cautious underground though because of the nasties so I take tons of torches!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Jasoco said:
I built a house today...

Nice house Jasoco.

So I toured the sewers for the first time yesterday, and holy shit, I can't believe I hadn't been there until now. It's freaking awesome! I spent a good hour down there sightseeing. The main hall is very nice, great architecture. Kudos to everyone who is working on that project, I love it. That would be awesome if it linked up to Moria.

Now I know why I always see WorldIII idling at the mob grinder, lol! That must have used a lot of TNT.

Vinci

Danish
Really wish I had more time with this game to join on Ark's server and build with you guys. Some of the stuff you've collaboratively put together is just stunning.

Ark

Guys, you can dupe things using a piston trick at the moment, I'm just going to say that duping and hacking has always been banned from the server.

Ark said:
Guys, you can dupe things using a piston trick at the moment, I'm just going to say that duping and hacking has always been banned from the server.

Holy shit. That's awesome. I found a tutorial on how to do this.

Wow, I've been lurking here for a while, occasionally posting, but I had no idea you guys mined everything for that server. That's insane!

Jasoco said:
I built a house today...

Also, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but what texture pack is this? Because I can never find one I'm satisfied with, and this one looks great. I think I just need to do some mix-and-matching.

Jasoco

Banned
Mengy said:
Nice house Jasoco.
Thanks! I may move the chimney to the other side if I feel like it just to make the front of the house look better.

I also can't light my fireplaces because as a peasant I am unable to use flint and steel. I assume veterans have this ability? Or do only Mods and Admins?

EskimoJoe said:
Also, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but what texture pack is this? Because I can never find one I'm satisfied with, and this one looks great. I think I just need to do some mix-and-matching.
Painterly.

Jasoco said:
I also can't light my fireplaces because as a peasant I am unable to use flint and steel. I assume veterans have this ability? Or do only Mods and Admins?

Basic citizens have the ability I think, just PM Ark your Minecraft user name to be added to the citizens list.

Anyone redstone wizards know how to make it so I can activate a redstone current to send a super short pulse. Like an on-and-off as fast as possible through a circuit? Thanks!

Jasoco

Banned
EskimoJoe said:
Anyone redstone wizards know how to make it so I can activate a redstone current to send a super shot pulse. Like an on-and-off as fast as possible through a circuit? Thanks!
I do, but it's hard to explain and I'm at work. I use it in my newer mine cart pez dispenser to open and close a hatch instantly to let a cart fall through.

Jasoco said:
I do, but it's hard to explain and I'm at work. I use it in my newer mine cart pez dispenser to open and close a hatch instantly to let a cart fall through.

It's cool. I don't need to know right now. I'm working on a piston elevator and I think I've got everything working except the pulse is too long.

Jasoco

Banned
EskimoJoe said:
It's cool. I don't need to know right now. I'm working on a piston elevator and I think I've got everything working except the pulse is too long.
I'll post some screenshots later but it's basically two not gates on top of each other. The top one being over the torch of the first. I don't know how well it'll work for you though as the object receiving power needs to be right next to it with nothing else near it.

Jasoco said:
I'll post some screenshots later but it's basically two not gates on top of each other. The top one being over the torch of the first. I don't know how well it'll work for you though as the object receiving power needs to be right next to it with nothing else near it.

Ah, I see. Well I'll start messing around with that, seeing if I can finagle it in. Thanks!

Aha! I figured it out! I've got a nice piston elevator, although it keeps having lag issues since I'm playing on my laptop which I'm also hosting the server from.

Ranger X

Minecraft Beta 1.7.3

Bug fixes, bug fixes and bug fixes.

- Corrected a block duplication bug when using pistons
- Corrected a redstone torch duplication bug when using pistons
- Corrected a client crash when placing a sign in front of the piston, powering the piston and then removing the block beneath the sign
- Ice blocks are now pushed without causing water streams breaking everything
- Booster rails are no longer being powered magically without a power source
- Pistons connected to the end of a piston-transistor via redstone are now properly closed when the power goes out
- Doors no longer create purple particles
- Hacking clients can no longer edit texts of placed signs in multiplayer
- Changed so that paintings pushed by pistons will pop off

Vlad

Ranger X said:
Minecraft Beta 1.7.3

Bug fixes, bug fixes and bug fixes.

- Pistons connected to the end of a piston-transistor via redstone are now properly closed when the power goes out

Hm, anybody know exactly what they're referring to by a "piston-transistor"?

I know I've had some pistons get seemingly "stuck" open every so often, but It's always been on the larger pistons builds, so I had just figured that it was because there was an errant torch or redstone current somewhere that was keeping them open.

Mengy

Ever have an idea for a great new mega project, only to realize that you need a lot of a certain material to even do it, and then embark on a different new mega project first just to even start the original idea you had? Yeah, that's been me the past few days.

Here is my ironic story of my last few days in Minecraft.

I have an idea of something I want to try, but I'm going to need lots of TNT to do it. So a few days ago I go to the Neocraft mob grinder at the spawn area to collect TNT only to find that there isn't any in the chests, and that many people seem to idle down there collecting only gunpowder. So I get the bright idea, maybe the server needs a second mob grinder? Now I've built a few on my single player world, tried a few different ways of designing them, so I decide that I am going to pick my favorite one and build it on Neocraft. But I don't want it close to the spawn's grinder, so I picked the flourishing town of Booty Bay to build mine in. But something as unsightly as a tall tower just wouldn't fit in the town, so I decided to build it hidden underground and place it in the Booty Bay Mine, right next to the vault area.

So for the past few days I've been excavating a 17 wide X 14 long X 55 block tall hole underground (13,090 blocks by the way), and I had to do it all by pick because I don't have any TNT yet. But it's done, and it seems to work well, but it definitely works better during the daytime. I'm guessing there are a lot of unlit caves in the area that are stealing mob spawns. I plan on doing more spelunking in the Booty Bay area to try and improve the grinder's output.

But here is the ironic end to my story.

So I now have a few stacks of gunpowder and I have one full stack of TNT, so last night I go to start blasting the area I want to level (one bomb at a time of course), and much to my surprise I discover that veterans aren't allowed to detonate TNT on the server. It immediately disconnects you when you try. Talk about an anti climactic end to my past few days in Minecraft, LOL!

Well, at least the server got a second mob grinder out of it. If anyone wants to use it feel free, down in the mines of Booty Bay.

spuit*11

Banned
I've got a few extra stacks of gunpowder you're more than welcome to.

[edit] I put them in your chest.

I also saw you used a sign every other block. I don't know if this was on purpose or just because of a lack or wood. So I put a stack of wood logs in there too.

Mengy

spuit*11 said:
I've got a few extra stacks of gunpowder you're more than welcome to.

Thanks, I have a few stacks stored away now just from testing and tweaking the grinder. I can see it already though, what I'm going to need next is lots of sand. I now know why there are so many sand quarries all over the Neocraft map. I'm going to have to pick a spot and strip mine sand, but I don't want to just leave a barren ugly scar on the land behind me. I want to do something with the bare stone jaggy area I leave behind. Maybe fill in the holes with water? Maybe fill them in with grass and create a forest with a checkerboard grass and stone area. Maybe fill the holes in with netherrack and set it all on fire, creating a blasted lands looking area.

Yeah, that sounds kind of cool. I like the idea of a blasted lands on the server. Now I need to travel to the nether and start a netherrack mine, lol....

EVIL

whats the estimated size going to be of arkyoto? I'm close to completing my house in al-medina, (only need to place furniture) so I could build something nice in Arkyoto, but I had a quick stroll trough the area, and I was hoping to have place in the center of town, but I only see usable space around the outskirts. does that mean I'm stuck again to the outskirts of town like in in al-medina? or will there be much more area to build that yet needs to be cleared. If this is it, then i'm going to skip arkyoto, maybe my wife still want a house there I don't know.

I spend forever working on a piston elevator. One tiny update and now it doesn't work for some reason. :(

EDIT: Nevermind. Still works, just only 1/5 times. Too laggy for my crappy laptop! D:

Mengy

EVIL said:
whats the estimated size going to be of arkyoto? I'm close to completing my house in al-medina, (only need to place furniture) so I could build something nice in Arkyoto, but I had a quick stroll trough the area, and I was hoping to have place in the center of town, but I only see usable space around the outskirts. does that mean I'm stuck again to the outskirts of town like in in al-medina? or will there be much more area to build that yet needs to be cleared. If this is it, then i'm going to skip arkyoto, maybe my wife still want a house there I don't know.

I don't think there is a size limit on the town itself, but we have been keeping the lot sizes consistent. If you look closely you'll notice that every "lot" is outlined by cobble, and every lot is the same size. The two themes are that you build something Japanese and that we all get the same amount of area to work with, in trying to keep the house sizes small. I didn't even build a house per say, but instead made a garden of sorts. I'll make an actual house later on.

But the town is new yet, so if you want to be "in" town then build now so that the town grows around you.

OK, so what's up with the nether on the server? I built one portal in Booty Bay and it took me to mirk's nether house, but when I went back through it took me to a hidden room near a big castle
and I accidentally broke some redstone wiring and pistons trying to get out, left them in a chest nearby, sorry :(
. Then I built a second portal in Arkyoto and this one took me to someone else's mine in the nether, and when I went back through dumped me behind Al-Medina! So I go through again, and this time find myself at Granchy's nether house (which has been seriously ghaast attacked, btw).

Is there any way to build a damn nether portal and have it place somewhere *new* in the nether?

Is it viable to build underwater, or is it just too bothersome having to come up for air and the slow movement? I was thinking of doing some sort of glass dome under the sea.

It's doable, but it's also a huge pain in the ass. I found the best way to do it was to close off the area you want to build in, fill it with dirt to remove the water and then just flood it when you're done building (although be aware that you have to flood each layer individually, and in a checkerboard pattern using dirt as a mould if you want the water to fill up properly and be still).

Of course, you could cheat and use an editor to fill in the water, or ask Ark to do it for you if you're on the server.

dyergram

Red Liquorice said:
OK, wow that makes even doubley impressive to mine everything! I did find a few pieces of diamond, but I'm super-cautious underground though because of the nasties so I take tons of torches!
I'm a noob as well and my advice to you is research branch mining on google just discovered thus yesterday now I'm planning on adding another couple of stories on my house.

Mengy

So it looks like many sounds will be added or changed for 1.8. Notch just tweeted this:

"Oh lordy, @C418 just sent me a huge pile of tweaked and improved sounds for 1.8! :D"

One of the most noticable changes are the spiders walk sounds, apparently they are a bit more scary now. And this is how Minecraft used to sound two years ago, notice the ambient sounds like birds and wind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIFkQMEz9X8&feature=related

New footstep sounds that C148 did some time ago that now may be added in game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWWkuk7jNKk

Pretty cool. 1.8 sure is going to change a lot of things.

Ark

EVIL said:

The town is barely 3 days old, the outskirts now will become the town centre later :)

fresquito

So I've been trying to create a good spider killing machine for the last two days. I've done it with pistons. It's really safe and it kills spiders. Too bad someone needs to be pulling levers up and down all the time.

Well, it works, and that's what's most important >_<

Venfayth

Mengy said:
Pretty cool. 1.8 sure is going to change a lot of things.

It makes me not want to play until 1.8 comes out :[

Plus I'm sure most servers will be out of commission *forever* after it does.

Just dropping in to say that I've begun work on a minecart track between my two houses in Booty bay and Al-medina. I've dug the tunnel out and now I'm just widening and heightening it to make it look a little more presentable before the long task of getting enough resources for all that track. It takes about 4 mins to walk down currently.

I know it's not ideal as both sides come out in my houses but there is now a tunnel between the two at least. I was thinking of building a further entrance on both sides with a sign and whatnot if anyone wanted to use this as the official go-between?

About Arkyoto:

I want to encourage people to build. Now that we have the general style set, I encourage people to build freely as they want and make their own lots. It looks like a lot of work, but leveling out a mountainous area for a spot to build is not a difficult task.

There is actually a ton of room to build. It's all about how much you are willing to level out.

dyergram said:
I'm a noob as well and my advice to you is research branch mining on google just discovered thus yesterday now I'm planning on adding another couple of stories on my house.
Just looking it up now and found some good youtube videos explaining it - very clever, makes perfect sense, thanks for the info :)

Mengy

Red Liquorice said:
Just looking it up now and found some good youtube videos explaining it - very clever, makes perfect sense, thanks for the info :)

Branch mining is my preferred way of ore hunting. The method I use exposes every block in the mine shafts direction with the least amount of digging, so if you do it right you can't miss any ores. If you want to see a real life example of how I set my mines up then head on over to the mines in Booty Bay on the Neocraft server and take the staircase all the way down.

Top Bottom