• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
bengraven said:
We should have maps for the servers.

I remember Exano mentioning he can only get a map of Cartography. At least that's what he's said (I don't know anything about the mapping of the worlds, and don't know what this means, but he said it like it was disappointing, like it wasn't like a normal map)

bengraven

Fuck.

8SC8Wl.jpg

bengraven

I have no idea what happened with Imgur, but yes, its completely uneven.

Edit: it's showing now. My bridge is in the center, yet it's obvious the entire building is uneven and I will have to smelt some more goddamn smoothstone.

God, smoothstone is a pain. haha

Edit 2: this was all still a WIP as I'm still flattening land and making smooth steps to go around.

pirata

Oh course, the second Notch gets on a plane, minecraft.net goes down. I guess I'll have to resign to doing something productive :(

VAIL

More people need to visit the asscraft server we are making some real progress...

Damn creepers though, I'm fillin in holes all the damned time, lol

Keep forgetting to post this, but I have a skeleton grinder set up in East Point that's open to anyone that wants to collect some arrows/bone.

Just follow the signs to the temple, it's along the road that runs parallel to the aqueduct.

Entrance:

MopPB.png

Temple:

OnXuM.png

bengraven

Edit: nvm, I see you have a skeleton spawner in there. I'm actually in the temple right now, collecting arrows. Thanks for this.

Also, your tex pack reminds me that I need to go down to 16x16 again.

JonCha

Man, looking at this thread is basically pushing me into buying this. I was going to get it last year but didn't have many people to play with. I am wondering whether it'll be my kind of game though.

bengraven

randomwab said:
I end up doing this shit all the time and it fucking kills me.

It's the worst thing I ever created. lol Mostly because it is completely uneven.

I had a plan to make it a Roman style church with columns and then on top I was going to put a golden dome. But I just lost the vision and no matter what I've done I can't salvage it. I think I'm just going to demolish it to get my mats back, instead of leaving it be. I have my quarry and a couple locked chests below it and I don't want to just walk away and rebuild.

On a plus side, if you walk in and look up, it kind of has a GAF logo there. :/

Jasoco said:
That's why you always set up the foundation first.

I did.

I can't count.

JonCha said:
Man, looking at this thread is basically pushing me into buying this. I was going to get it last year but didn't have many people to play with. I am wondering whether it'll be my kind of game though.

You want a game where you can:

- Spawn in a random environment
- destroy the land and use it to build practically anything you want
- find dungeons to explore to get rare items which you can use in the
- creative crafting abilities
- work out in the open during the day and hide from the monsters at night or be brave and face them
- get updates every few weeks, sometimes sooner, with new items and game mechanics for free
- AND do all of this with friends on the official GAF server?

Grinchy

Banned
JonCha said:
I bought the game and I think I've logged into around 8 servers since the day I got it. I just don't play online because I like my single player world so much. Also I was trying it out back when there weren't mobs or anything, so that could be why I haven't gotten into it.

It's still one of my favorite purchases.

bengraven

I had to start playing online. I made a massive keep on my single player game and I just realized one day that it was a lonely island with no one to share it with.

Then again, if they add the adventure elements Notch has hinted at, I will play more SSP.

AutoGibbon

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure Exano's server hates me. Past few days I've been trying to get on, and sure enough I can connect. But falling into eternity while the server refuses to give me terrain, or even a ping, is a pain.

Determination shall see me through.

bengraven

Gecko, I love how simple but awesome your leveled water is.

You also remind me that despite being able to make 15 different colors, most of our houses and building still end up being smooth or cobble stone. I like your roof, it goes against the grain.

Ranger X

Quick question, is it still possible to make a cobblestone generator in 1.3 ??

I thought that if water was touching lava vertically it made obsidian and that when it was touching lave horizontally it made cobblestone. I tried just now and in both case I'm getting obsidian...

Log4Girlz

bengraven said:
It's the worst thing I ever created. lol Mostly because it is completely uneven.

I had a plan to make it a Roman style church with columns and then on top I was going to put a golden dome. But I just lost the vision and no matter what I've done I can't salvage it. I think I'm just going to demolish it to get my mats back, instead of leaving it be. I have my quarry and a couple locked chests below it and I don't want to just walk away and rebuild.

On a plus side, if you walk in and look up, it kind of has a GAF logo there. :/

I did.

I can't count.

When I used to play this game (god I have to come back sometime), I would set up torches on top of blocks so I wouldn't goof up on my block counts. Its easier to count glowing torches than those damn squares.

Ranger X said:
Quick question, is it still possible to make a cobblestone generator in 1.3 ??

I thought that if water was touching lava vertically it made obsidian and that when it was touching lave horizontally it made cobblestone. I tried just now and in both case I'm getting obsidian...

Pretty sure it has to be water onto moving lava to make cobblestone.

EDIT: I take to long to reply, lol

randomwab

Jasoco said:
That's why you always set up the foundation first.

Doesn't always work, although that may be because of my own stupidity. I set up foundations for the entrance hall to my current project, and I thought it looked fine. Then when I built it up some more, I realised it was way too long so I had to shorten it down a good bit.

Then after working on the first floor of the hall based on the foundations I'd thought looked fine, I realised that it looked like it was a block too high having been fleshed out. It was a small thing, but lowering a block would be prefrable, so that took time.

Last night, I laid down the dining room's layout and thought it looked fine too. Took ages to inspect it from different angles to make sure it was fine before I started. I was satisfied, and made the rough outline of the room, foundation to ceiling and filled the roof in. Then I realised that the whole thing really wasn't good, it needed to be shifted two blocks.

Foundations really don't help me at all. I'm perfectly happy with those two rooms now, but I only got to that point by actually building the things and then realising my mistakes. It'll probably take me a whole lot longer to finish this thing, but in the end I'll feel that it's right.

Still kills me having to say "Need to move this 20x10 wall two blocks" every night at some point.

Firebrand

AutoGibbon said:
I'm pretty sure Exano's server hates me. Past few days I've been trying to get on, and sure enough I can connect. But falling into eternity while the server refuses to give me terrain, or even a ping, is a pain.

Determination shall see me through.

Map loading is a tad slow since the 1.3 update, perhaps related to this new file format. It's gotten better recently, but if you get on a train you might still find yourself carting across the void while the terrain is trying to catch up on loading far behind you.

bengraven

God I wish I had your guys' commitment, vision and speed of building. I'm feeling like the longer I play the less creative and less ambitious I'm getting.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Firebrand said:
Map loading is a tad slow since the 1.3 update, perhaps related to this new file format. It's gotten better recently, but if you get on a train you might still find yourself carting across the void while the terrain is trying to catch up on loading far behind you.
I'm having issues with this too. Hopefully they'll fix this problem soon.

bengraven

I was going to fast on a cart last night that not only was lost in a void with only a few floating spiders and zombies out in the open to keep me company, but it also crashed Minecraft.

Don't care: it beats the alternative of having to walk to Rome...again. haha

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does the multiplayer work? Can I set up a server on my PC, and then still use that PC to go in and play around? I'd quite like to have myself and my kids all playing in the same sandbox if possible, they currently have separate single player worlds. They could then use the laptop, freeing my PC up again..

Wichu

mrklaw said:
How does the multiplayer work? Can I set up a server on my PC, and then still use that PC to go in and play around? I'd quite like to have myself and my kids all playing in the same sandbox if possible, they currently have separate single player worlds. They could then use the laptop, freeing my PC up again..
Yes, it's possible. No guarantees on performance though (might lag a bit).

Eccocid

Can't connect to ASSCRAFT anymore...It takes like few mins to login to server and then i get uber lag and timeout... Other servers work fine tho.

Brazil

If anyone finds a huge hole in a snowy area probably west of North Point in Exano's... Send me a message.

:(

Grinchy

Banned
I've been playing Minecraft for a long time, but I don't think I understand multiplayer at all. Especially since I haven't used it in a long time.

Do people just jump onto the server and start making stuff in their own little untouched area? Do you have to start from scratch with materials or do people have chests full of stuff to use already?

VAIL

Grinchy said:
I've been playing Minecraft for a long time, but I don't think I understand multiplayer at all. Especially since I haven't used it in a long time.

Do people just jump onto the server and start making stuff in their own little untouched area? Do you have to start from scratch with materials or do people have chests full of stuff to use already?

Depends on server, some are modded to have no spawns and mats provided... the one I am on "Asscraft :lol" we have all the spawns and we are building a bunch of areas that will all tie together, no mods as of yet and we all dig up our own materials.

Edit: some stuff we put together recently

JKf88.jpg

PI9Cq.jpg

Brazil

Grinchy said:

It's single-player with other people.

In some servers you gotta search and mine your materials, and in some you have all the resources at your disposal.

Grinchy

Banned
It seems like digging up your own stuff and fighting off mobs together would be the way I'd want to play online but it also seems like it is a bit of an uphill battle for newer players who join.

I'd really like to get my brother or some of my friends playing and we'd all just be in the same world all the time.

Edit: Those pics are awesome!

VAIL

Grinchy said:
It seems like digging up your own stuff and fighting off mobs together would be the way I'd want to play online but it also seems like it is a bit of an uphill battle for newer players who join.

I'd really like to get my brother or some of my friends playing and we'd all just be in the same world all the time.

Feel free to join us, we are the second server on the list right below the OT in this thread.

Here is a better shot of my home and the stuff I've connected to it, then the other screen is the crazy shit goin on "across the pond" from me

Uoy7c.jpg

Vhjht.jpg

Brazil

Grinchy said:

You can always join other people's projects and ask for help yourself, so it's never really an "uphill battle". It never feels like a competition.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Or setup your own server?

Btw, how do you navigate when moving long distances? Eg finding your way back home, or if you find something cool miles away from the spawn point. Need a map or in game GPS thingy

Ferga

mrklaw said:
Or setup your own server?

Btw, how do you navigate when moving long distances? Eg finding your way back home, or if you find something cool miles away from the spawn point. Need a map or in game GPS thingy

make a compass i guess. works well if your base is near spawn

Top Bottom