• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Thanks for the info Ex, can't wait to hop back in and play around with some of that stuff. I'm still pretty much brand new even after a week of playing, and there's lots to learn.

I'm going to take some shots of my horrendous abomination and then temporarily abandon it, off to my second project with all the lessons I learned from my first. Some things; like my "deep core mine" going straight down into a lake, and my underwater tunnel with a glass ceiling were huge successes, and I'm still thrilled just to look at them. Others, such as my glass "water elevator" which kills anyone who attempts to use it were not so great.

But now, at last, I feel the "pull" that eluded me for so long, and I'm psyched to get started on my next project: A small kingdom from Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I'm going to stake out an island, and build 3 connected towns. A small rampart village (the druid faction) and a large Necropolis city/castle with all the associated creature generators and auxiliary structures. And much later: An entire section of Silent Hill.

Yeah, I don't have a lot going on this month.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
sweet news on the carts fully working, I'll be logging on to try them out. Ever since seeing the map of the cart system, it's peaked my "Simcity Train Planning Geekdom" interest.

Exano

Neo Member
From Rome on the Survival server:

6v4bb.png

p9KZB.png

YF1Pa.png

0X2r7.png

Qzy4n.png

553Uf.png

B3cfY.jpg

Articalys

Wait, do craftbook elevators really only work with an 18m range now? I know I had one before that went from sea level to bedrock in one step.

Exano

Neo Member
Articalys said:
Wait, do craftbook elevators really only work with an 18m range now? I know I had one before that went from sea level to bedrock in one step.

No, nice catch, im an idiot. I don't know why I thought that =p

And lonestar, you can totally do black/white station if you want =p

Lonestar

Exano said:
No, nice catch, im an idiot. I don't know why I thought that =p

And lonestar, you can totally do black/white station if you want =p

If I could come up with some nice LOST landmarks, a black/white station would be a nice touch.

I (or anyone) should grab a screenpic of the cart map layout. And perhaps make a cleaned up version of it, like a subway map.

Cirruss

Wow, your server is amazing Exano. I had to long on to explore for myself after you posted those screenshots. Haven't played multiplayer in a while, i might frequent your server i bit now.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Cirruss said:
Wow, your server is amazing Exano. I had to long on to explore for myself after you posted those screenshots. Haven't played multiplayer in a while, i might frequent your server i bit now.

Yeah, I logged in to look around last night. Pretty amazing.

Is there a overview map or rules I need to consider aside from "don't be an asshole"?

I was looking around South Point and it appears rather "frontier" like, I was going to clean it up a bit and make some roads.. but I don't want to intrude if that was not the idea.

Started construction of my villa at East Point, got the courtyard area finished, not to start on the actual structure!

FLKdT.png

Suikoguy said:
Yeah, I logged in to look around last night. Pretty amazing.

Is there a overview map or rules I need to consider aside from "don't be an asshole"?

I was looking around South Point and it appears rather "frontier" like, I was going to clean it up a bit and make some roads.. but I don't want to intrude if that was not the idea.

That's really the main rule, and try not to leave floating trees! :D

I don't believe anything is planned for south point at this time, I do know that there will be other themed areas(Egyptian, modern, futuristic) like the roman themed East Point in the future. However, I don't think we're very short on space on that server.

Don't think anyone will mind if you make the place more inviting, perhaps people will actually use the PvP arena, lol

bengraven

Exano said:
From Rome on the Survival server:

6v4bb.png

Ha, upper right is my future house I'm working on. Thanks for reminding me that I never got a chance to get online and finish it today. :p

That said, thanks for the info earlier. I had no clue about some of those mods you're using, but it's awesome.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I decided to work on a pier at south point, and a clean path to the arena.

Ranger X

Wow, I am FINALLY starting to see the end of my second epic cave. That one was even bigger than the first one. Alot of corridors and huge rooms. I will finally be able to finish exploring it tomorrow evening. (I guess..)

EpicCave05.png

Not even the biggest room here...

EpicCave06.png

:O

parasight

Played around with Classic Mode when I first heard about the game a year ago. Never bothered to even look at the actual game being made in Beta now (Alpha then). Finally bought it today along with a friend I convinced to buy it after watching the Yogcast videos on YouTube. Man what a thrill this game is. It's overwhelming how many things I want to do, and how quickly time passes by when playing. This game is going to be bad for my time management.

NotTarts said:
Used that earlier on, but now it's Eldpack for me. The oldschool style fits perfectly with Minecraft.

I'm with Pixeludi pack. It's like playing old PC RPG games, and it has a very nice cobblestone and very visible ores. Also, it's original texture size, so it's better to avoid higher memory costs.

12.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
only just started playing this, but having fun already. For some reason my 6-year-old daughter is obsessed with it. I'm away for work at the moment but she kept asking me what my plans are for when I get back. All I'd done was spend an hour with her, making a bit of a cave with some stairs..

should I try out single player or multiplayer? any good starter tips or just get stuck in?

Sanic

starting to get back into Minecraft again (I get that itch every couple months) and had a hop onto Exano's server the other day and, one again, you guys build some great stuff.

mrklaw said:
only just started playing this, but having fun already. For some reason my 6-year-old daughter is obsessed with it. I'm away for work at the moment but she kept asking me what my plans are for when I get back. All I'd done was spend an hour with her, making a bit of a cave with some stairs..

should I try out single player or multiplayer? any good starter tips or just get stuck in?

Single Player first, and avoid watching to much Youtube and such. It is a game about discovery for certain. Also, check out the Minepedia (Minecraft wiki) for crafting and block identifying.

bengraven

I couldn't be on the farthest plot on the spectrum than you.

I bought it for $13 during the alpha in September and I haven't played a single other game since. I still haven't touched games I was waiting months or years to play, like New Vegas.

It was single-handedly the BEST value in gaming for me.

Jasoco

Banned
Anyway, re: Rome, holy fucking shit. That is amazing! I really like the temple, or whatever it is with all the pillars and the darkness at the top and fog in the background. I really want to build my own giant temple like that. How big is it? And what server is it? I haven't been on a GAF server since that one night.

Lonestar

I barely have any imagination at all. I've attempted to build standard objects, but i am constantly amazed at what others put out there, and wonder "how the hell did they do something that badass?"

But I still like to log on, explore, and just straight up mine. But I do go on breaks that can last a couple weeks, just to pop back on for a week or 2.

Still easily worth the money spent (bought in Alpha last summer)

kodt

Banned
Is anyone else wondering why they keep adding new cosmetic blocks and things like beds, while there are major unfinished items. Minecarts are a great example, they are pretty much useless unless you boost them, but that works through some weird physics glitch.

Do they ever plan on making powered minecart tracks?

bengraven

Jasoco said:
Anyway, re: Rome, holy fucking shit. That is amazing! I really like the temple, or whatever it is with all the pillars and the darkness at the top and fog in the background. I really want to build my own giant temple like that. How big is it? And what server is it? I haven't been on a GAF server since that one night.

I love the Roman Moria a ton. The amount of work put into it is astounding.

Exano gave me a tour the other day (I'm "railts") and I didn't even know what to say when I saw it. I just kind of stuttered out something in chat.

kodt said:

That's the point of the powered minecarts. They work TOO well though, using proper physics to prevent you from riding behind them because you're too heavy. They need a power boost, officially.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Powered_Minecart

I wouldn't say you're doing it wrong or anything, the game just may not be for you. $13 is barely anything though so I'm surprised you'd have buyers remorse with that.

Have you tried SP or MP? I can't stand SP and only played it for a few moments total. I created a server for my friends and family and we have a blast. Well, did. Haven't really played since about a month before Halloween.

Jasoco said:

It's the Basilica Cistern, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cistern. Now that I've built it I want to see the real thing. :D It's on Exano's server, in East Point.

ryJzP.jpg

It's slightly larger than the real thing, which is 138 meters x 65 meters. I measured the columns form side to side while I'm pretty sure the actual measurements in the wiki are center to center(Though it's much easier to make decent looking vaults when you have an odd number of blocks between the columns). Has 336 columns that are 9 meters tall. Once you add in the vaults the whole are is roughly 150x80x14.

Two a good two weeks+, about 70-80 diamonds and 100's of iron to dig out. I know I'll never undertake such a large are hollowing project again.

Eccocid

WolfofMebu said:
It's the Basilica Cistern, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_Cistern. Now that I've built it I want to see the real thing. :D It's on Exano's server, in East Point.

ryJzP.jpg

It's slightly larger than the real thing, which is 138 meters x 65 meters. I measured the columns form side to side while I'm pretty sure the actual measurements in the wiki are center to center(Though it's much easier to make decent looking vaults when you have an odd number of blocks between the columns). Has 336 columns that are 9 meters tall. Once you add in the vaults the whole are is roughly 150x80x14.

Two a good two weeks+, about 70-80 diamonds and 100's of iron to dig out. I know I'll never undertake such a large are hollowing project again.

but most important is ; does it have the pond and fishes in it at bottom! :p

Jasoco

Banned
WolfofMebu said:

ryJzP.jpg

So it's actually underground? Shit! Yeah I guess that would take much more time!

Lonestar

I miss the old GAFLand's Dwarf City. Sure, it wasn't loaded with Pillars, but it was a giant cavern, able to house multiple castle's...and my half ass attempt to build a Glass Stalactite House.

DwarfCity.jpg

Was an early picture

pirata

I miss dwarf city, and the general impressiveness of the spawn city on that server in general. Maybe if we can get enough TNT together (perhaps by constructing some massive mob grinders to collect gunpowder) on the server we can make a project of building a new dwarf city.

Eccocid said:
but most important is ; does it have the pond and fishes in it at bottom! :p

I might get to it eventually, would look really awesome with reflective water :D

Just right now the water doesn't work well with half blocks, so it would be a pain to get it to look decent.

Lonestar said:
Obviously, I'd hope only the server admin is in charge of TNT.

For a short bit of time after 1.3 anyone could use it, but not anymore.

I've always liked the look of caverns created with TNT.

Mik2121

DangerousDave said:
I'm with Pixeludi pack. It's like playing old PC RPG games, and it has a very nice cobblestone and very visible ores. Also, it's original texture size, so it's better to avoid higher memory costs.

12.jpg
Is it easy to just have the UI from that one but without the materials? I'd rather use the default materials or some from another set (the one that Exano posted, for example), but that UI is really cool looking.

Ranger X

kodt said:
Is anyone else wondering why they keep adding new cosmetic blocks and things like beds, while there are major unfinished items. Minecarts are a great example, they are pretty much useless unless you boost them, but that works through some weird physics glitch.

Well, I do use beds alot and think it's a great addition... while I am actually never using minecarts. I think that in an open game like this, there will be updates for everyone eventually but each update will not please or seem important for everyone. I guess it's something you are stuck with when you design a sandbox game.

Eccocid

Mik2121 said:
Is it easy to just have the UI from that one but without the materials? I'd rather use the default materials or some from another set (the one that Exano posted, for example), but that UI is really cool looking.

Doesnt texture packs usually come with dif PNGs for mobs, terrain, GUI etc? maybe u can mix them up!

Oh by the way walk past Roche's lighthouse keep going that way till u see the MEGA LAVA HILL! haha

bengraven

pirata said:
I miss dwarf city, and the general impressiveness of the spawn city on that server in general. Maybe if we can get enough TNT together (perhaps by constructing some massive mob grinders to collect gunpowder) on the server we can make a project of building a new dwarf city.

I support this.

"Finished" Cave 1. Probably there are some dark corner there, and maybe some passages that I blocked and forgot to investigate, but I was mining some materials in the bottom of the cave and I found another cave, with some lava rivers, and incredible huge, maybe this new cave that I found is even bigger than the explored part.

Ranger X

Nice, I think I'm gonna be able to conclude my second cave tonight. And I got minerals for a while now, I will continue my exploration. (I want to go and circle all around the present continent we are on --- if at all possible).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've added screens for two of the three servers in the OP. I'll add some for Exano's later.

Render dat map, Exano!

Top Bottom