• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

vas_a_morir said:
I like the idea of a train station spawn. One that will take you to all the cities/places of interest. Booty-Bay, Moria, and Al-Medina.

Future projects, too. Like an underwater city, which would be neat. The Cliff city was a cool idea, too.

I think the cliff city needs to wait for the sky realm to come in. There really aren't any cliffs high enough to sustain a city otherwise lol.

And I will get work on my tram system when I workout an automatic minecart system I'm satisfied with.

Articalys

I finally decided to start playing this game again after having not touched it since, like... mid-April. What a difference all the changes since then make!
Also I was quickly forced to remember how addictive it is.

I should be able to join the current main NeoGAF server right now with a 1.7.3 client, right?

Ark

Articalys said:
I finally decided to start playing this game again after having not touched it since, like... mid-April. What a difference all the changes since then make!
Also I was quickly forced to remember how addictive it is.

I should be able to join the current main NeoGAF server right now with a 1.7.3 client, right?

Yup, jump on in whenever you want :)

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
After seeing some of Gaf's screenshots of their creations I won't be posting mine anytime soon. I've only been playing for 2 weeks so I'm just still figuring out all those little bits of knowledge.

I wish I had taken some before pictures on my big project. It's not really clear how much work I've done, since a huge chunk of it was landscaping. I want a time lapse map making program!

Grinchy

Banned
Agnostic said:
After seeing some of Gaf's screenshots of their creations I won't be posting mine anytime soon. I've only been playing for 2 weeks so I'm just still figuring out all those little bits of knowledge.
lol you should post them anyway

Some of the people on here just make such crazy things. There are a lot of people who don't even post pics of the amazing things they build (come on guys, brag a little!). Some of the things on neocraft make me want to quit playing Minecraft (not really) because they are so much better than anything I could ever come up with.

Ark

Grinchy said:

Some of the people on here just make such crazy things. There are a lot of people who don't even post pics of the amazing things they build (come on guys, brag a little!). Some of the things on neocraft make me want to quit playing Minecraft (not really) because they are so much better than anything I could ever come up with.

You're stuff is always awesome, it's just a shame you don't play anymore.

Puppet Shadow said:
Am I correct in assuming when 1.8 hits, changes will not occur in any currently exposed chunks, just unexplored areas?

Correct.

EDIT:

Thought I should let everyone know, we actually have enough donation money to pay for 6 months with 1500mb of RAM (500mb RAM upgrade).

I'd like to massively thank everyone that has donated to NeoCraft and made the server what it is today. Hopefully we continue to grow and expand :)

Ranger X

Grinchy said:

Well, don't see it too much as a competition. Game is way more fun when you don't care for those sort of things imo.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:
Thought I should let everyone know, we actually have enough donation money to pay for 6 months with 1500mb of RAM (500mb RAM upgrade).

I'd like to massively thank everyone that has donated to NeoCraft and made the server what it is today. Hopefully we continue to grow and expand :)

Good, I'm glad to hear it. When you need more just post it up.

I do have a question though. The server notices say that donators get a free warp point. How does that work exactly?

Ark

Mengy said:
Good, I'm glad to hear it. When you need more just post it up.

I do have a question though. The server notices say that donators get a free warp point. How does that work exactly?

It's simple, you get a free warp point :) Just like the warp points for Al-Medina, BootyBay etc etc.

Just ask me when you next see me online and I can do it for you.

By the way, whoever is building the church at BootyBay, it's awesome! Great work :)

Articalys

Stopped by to check out the server; some of those projects/landscapes you guys set up are insane, especially that underground cavern. How did you get such a huge lava lake?

It was pretty quiet, though I guess the weekends are busier. Shame things seems to be a bit shaken up by recent griefing, apparently; I might try to pop back in when it's busier later, though I think I might wait and just come back and join you guys for the fresh start at 1.8.

Ranger X

Articalys said:
Stopped by to check out the server; some of those projects/landscapes you guys set up are insane, especially that underground cavern. How did you get such a huge lava lake?

It was pretty quiet, though I guess the weekends are busier. Shame things seems to be a bit shaken up by recent griefing, apparently; I might try to pop back in when it's busier later, though I think I might wait and just come back and join you guys for the fresh start at 1.8.

By digging it out and then filling it with lava!

Mik2121

Articalys said:

Yeah. Things sometimes get a bit quiet, but during the weekends there's enough people (an average of 7 people or so), sometimes peaking at nearly the limit (17 people i think?). But during the weekdays things get quite quiet.

When 1.8 arrives, I bet the server will be almost full all the time during the first few days :p

Ark

Ranger X said:
By digging it out and then filling it with lava!

I actually used WorldEdit for about two-thirds of the lava lake, everything else & the edges were done by hand though.

Mik2121 said:
Yeah. Things sometimes get a bit quiet, but during the weekends there's enough people (an average of 7 people or so), sometimes peaking at nearly the limit (17 people i think?). But during the weekdays things get quite quiet.

When 1.8 arrives, I bet the server will be almost full all the time during the first few days :p

Server popularity is now determined by how often Mik plays :p

Agnostic said:
Post them any way, I've been playing even less time than you, haven't touched anything to do with rails or pistons or any fancy stuff yet, but just started branch mining so hopefully I can have some fun with that kind of stuff soon. :)

My main building project after I started a house-cave was a sandstone pyramid and tower, it's all barebones inside for now, but I like the clean look of the sandstone:

Pyramid & Tower
3xM1d.jpg

View from bottom outside, the waterfall drops from the very top of the tower, a 3 storey apartment, with a glass ceiling/observatory
lQCEQ.jpg

View from top of tower, with a water feature that goes down through the 3 floors at the top
2Iq7n.jpg

View all the way down the center, I've fallen all the way down the ladder more than once!
G7qcl.jpg

Inside the 2nd floor, nothing really there at the moment
uAK9P.jpg

Inside the pyramid, again totally bare except for stairs to 2nd floor and two water pools at each far end
hUC47.jpg

I had a blast making it, I've literally not played another game since I bought minecraft, totally hooked!

There is still no release date for 1.8, correct? I follow Notch on Twitter and everything but I still seem to miss things sometimes..

And by the way, the screen shots in here are so good. :O

JVIDICAN

My mansion. :p
f4jlet.jpg

The texture pack I'm using kind of ruined the white stone look I wanted for the iron blocks so I'll have to mess around with that sometime soon.

Jasoco

Banned
Red Liquorice said:
I just started using Painterly, it looks really good - I wish there was an option on the website to remember your choices though.
It's supposed to, but it's broken, and they haven't fixed it, and it sucks, and I keep forgetting to complain, and I wish it had a 32 pixel version of its textures.

Venfayth

GazzaScotland said:
Just from Notch's twitter:

"The Minecraft Adventure Update will be playable in our booth at Pax."

Guessing that means we won't see it before Pax?

Not exactly unexpected, but still frowntown.

Mengy

GazzaScotland said:
Just from Notch's twitter:

"The Minecraft Adventure Update will be playable in our booth at Pax."

Guessing that means we won't see it before Pax?

PAX is end of August, right? Cool, I hope we get the patch soon after that then.

Either way I can wait, I've got tons I want to do in game to keep me busy until then anyway.

Worked a bit on the Wheat Harvester, now has proper side walkways. Need to build a storage hut and I think I'll call it done. Oh, there's now a Sugar Cane/Reed harvester next door! Still WIP but it grows reeds like a mofo :p

Venfayth

ArtistDude88 said:
Worked a bit on the Wheat Harvester, now has proper side walkways. Need to build a storage hut and I think I'll call it done. Oh, there's now a Sugar Cane/Reed harvester next door! Still WIP but it grows reeds like a mofo :p

Hey I've been working on my own wheat harvester, how do you get on to the patches to plant seeds without messing up the wet dirt? Don't you pretty much have to drop down onto it?

I tried dropping down while holding shift but it still broke the dirt, although I might have just messed it up, I only had the opportunity to try it once. And one broken patch of dirt isn't really that big of a deal.

Mengy

Acullis said:
Hey I've been working on my own wheat harvester, how do you get on to the patches to plant seeds without messing up the wet dirt? Don't you pretty much have to drop down onto it?

I tried dropping down while holding shift but it still broke the dirt, although I might have just messed it up, I only had the opportunity to try it once. And one broken patch of dirt isn't really that big of a deal.

Sneak. Hold down the shift key and you can walk all over it without messing up the tilled dirt.

Venfayth

Yeah, but my problem is if you try to get to the plane where the dirt is, you pretty much HAVE to jump down/up on to it. Both the sides have to be water (to irrigate the tiles), the back side is covered by the above platform, and the front side is covered by the lower platform. So, it seemed to me anyway you had to at the very least fuck up the tile you jump on, even if you're holding shift.

Mengy

Acullis said:
Yeah, but my problem is if you try to get to the plane where the dirt is, you pretty much HAVE to jump down/up on to it. Both the sides have to be water (to irrigate the tiles), the back side is covered by the above platform, and the front side is covered by the lower platform. So, it seemed to me anyway you had to at the very least fuck up the tile you jump on, even if you're holding shift.

Make a half-block bridge over a section of the water that you can walk across. Sometimes I even cover all of the water channels with half-blocks so that I can sneak over the entire place and never disturb any tilled dirt. It also prevents any seeds or such from falling into the water.

Venfayth

Mengy said:
Make a half-block bridge over a section of the water that you can walk across. Sometimes I even cover all of the water channels with half-blocks so that I can sneak over the entire place and never disturb any tilled dirt. It also prevents any seeds or such from falling into the water.

Ahhh that's a good idea.

Also I just looked at his setup and it's slightly different than mine, so it inherently doesn't have this problem.

examplehb.png

Because his tiers stack over the irrigation channels, he can place blocks even with the fields and walk right in. Damn him.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Out of curiosity -- the yellowish lamps on the Arkyoto building quoted last page as well as the lamps used in the mega train station build... they aren't part of the default texture pack, are they? Minecraft wiki is not helping :T

Qwomo

Knuckleruckamus said:
Out of curiosity -- the yellowish lamps on the Arkyoto building quoted last page as well as the lamps used in the mega train station build... they aren't part of the default texture pack, are they? Minecraft wiki is not helping :T
Nope, that's glowstone in DokuCraft.

Ark

Knuckleruckamus said:

There are a bunch of texture packs that make glowstone look like lanterns. Dokucraft & Painterly do that. Unfortunately the texture pack I'm using at the moment (sphex pureBDcraft) just keeps the glowstone as glowstone :(

Acullis said:
Damn him.
:3

Well I just tried my reed harvester and.... It totally didn't go as I thought it would :(

And on another note, here's my build plan that I drew for Arkyoto...

a44f1u.jpg

I dunno... I laid out the base of it and it is huuuge! not_sure_if_want.jpg
Based off the Kumamoto castle...

Venfayth

Yeah that'll take a LOT of materials. But it'll be worth it, trust me :D

Mega-projects are always worth it.

Except when you suck at verifying your plans.

I once had a plan for a giant ass mob grinder that you could turn on and off. The corners of the barriers between each of the spawning rooms were glass, and in the middle of the glass was an empty hole, above the entire system was a branching pattern of trenches, and at the top of that was a single block of lava. The plan was that if you unblocked the lava, it would split out between the trenches and illuminate the entire grinder, essentially shutting it off.

Here's an image:

examplea.png

I finished the entire project before testing the lava. The lava only went down one path instead of branching off into many and illuminated basically one sector of the entire thing. I was so pissed I never played on that server again, mostly because I didn't want to face my failure. Haha.

Oh yeah and it took me almost two months to make because it was 64*64 and it went from 80 to 5.

Jasoco

Banned
Acullis said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNx124AtFV0

This one is the best idea for a greenhouse I've seen yet. At least one that prevents loss of seeds or soil.

ArtistDude88 said:
:3

Well I just tried my reed harvester and.... It totally didn't go as I thought it would :(

And on another note, here's my build plan that I drew for Arkyoto...

a44f1u.jpg

I dunno... I laid out the base of it and it is huuuge! not_sure_if_want.jpg
Based off the Kumamoto castle...
Seems it would be better at the top of a hill. As long as that hill's not more than about 20 at the most above sea level to keep from hitting the sky limit.

Vinci

Danish
Acullis said:
Yeah that'll take a LOT of materials. But it'll be worth it, trust me :D

Mega-projects are always worth it.

I used to think that when I first started Minecraft. Used to build all sorts of insane things, just massive productions that would take me months. After a while, I grew kind of tired of it. Now I mostly focus on interesting, smaller designs that fit a certain theme or concept I like. I find it a bit more rewarding overall.

YMMV, of course.

Venfayth

Vinci said:
I used to think that when I first started Minecraft. Used to build all sorts of insane things, just massive productions that would take me months. After a while, I grew kind of tired of it. Now I mostly focus on interesting, smaller designs that fit a certain theme or concept I like. I find it a bit more rewarding overall.

YMMV, of course.

I think a lot of it for me is the monotony and the extent of time put into it, with a little bit of "this is going to be so badass when I finish it" added in there.

Obviously everyone plays a sandbox for their own reasons, but I guess I'm really drawn into the very time-consuming tasks, because it's easy for me to get comfortable and enjoy some music or watch a show or movie or something. Ultimate relaxation.

Acullis said:
I once had a plan for a giant ass mob grinder that you could turn on and off. The corners of the barriers between each of the spawning rooms were glass, and in the middle of the glass was an empty hole, above the entire system was a branching pattern of trenches, and at the top of that was a single block of lava. The plan was that if you unblocked the lava, it would split out between the trenches and illuminate the entire grinder, essentially shutting it off.

I finished the entire project before testing the lava. The lava only went down one path instead of branching off into many and illuminated basically one sector of the entire thing. I was so pissed I never played on that server again, mostly because I didn't want to face my failure. Haha.

That totally gave me an idea.

Piston powered lamps that show/hide glowstone :U

Mik2121

Ark said:
I actually used WorldEdit for about two-thirds of the lava lake, everything else & the edges were done by hand though.

Server popularity is now determined by how often Mik plays :p
Oh, no no no. If I got it wrong, sorry. I'm talking based on what I've seen every time I've joined the server. If you can check the logs, you'll see I pop in every now and then just so see how's everything going :p

And about 1.8 and lots of people joining... I'm basing that on the fact that a lot of people here are saying stuff like "I will buy Minecraft once 1.8 releases" or "I will get back to Minecraft once 1.8 releases" :p

Jasoco

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
That totally gave me an idea.

Piston powered lamps that show/hide glowstone :U
Already had that idea. But the glowstone would have to hide too far in the wall. Though you could have a piston open the door then slide it outwards.

Top Bottom