• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Over the past few days I've been working on an underground minecart tunnel from Booty bay to Al-medina. It's slowly beginning to take shape which is good but there's still so much work to do! At the moment, it's connected to my houses in the towns but once the tunnel itself is completed, I'll build 2 stations so that people can jet between the two.

I've taken some screenshots if anyone wants to see how it's coming along as well.

Ranger X

Barnaby_Jones said:
Over the past few days I've been working on an underground minecart tunnel from Booty bay to Al-medina. It's slowly beginning to take shape which is good but there's still so much work to do! At the moment, it's connected to my houses in the towns but once the tunnel itself is completed, I'll build 2 stations so that people can jet between the two.

I've taken some screenshots if anyone wants to see how it's coming along as well.

You should connect it with the current tunnel between Middleland and Booty Bay.

GazzaScotland said:
Just from Notch's twitter:

"The Minecraft Adventure Update will be playable in our booth at Pax."

Guessing that means we won't see it before Pax?

Yeah, that's the conclusion I'm drawing. So not until, like, September? That sucks.

Ranger X

The update will take a long time and will truly be huge because Notch said it will be the last significant update before release. The release is in November so even September would feel early to me and I will be happy if it happens there already.

notsol337

marked forever
I really want to play more on the server, I'm just totally out of ideas. I just have no inspiration for a home, and I have no drive to gather materials.

MINECRAAAAAAAAAAAFT.

HenryHSH

notsol337 said:
I really want to play more on the server, I'm just totally out of ideas. I just have no inspiration for a home, and I have no drive to gather materials.

MINECRAAAAAAAAAAAFT.

Sums up how I feel right now. I wish the tools lasted longer or didn't break at all.

Venfayth

Slightly more relevant update to the pax tidbit:

Markus Persson
Mojang will be at PAX. We'll have the first playable version of the Adventure Update there, and it will be released to the public once we've adressed the feedback we get at PAX.

Yes, this is a marketing thing. ;) But also, we're doing some pretty bold changes to the game, and knowing we have the time to just play around with features we might now want to release is pretty liberating. Combat in 1.8, for example, is already way more fun than in 1.7, but it need further tweaking.

I have a question about tools - What materials should I be using for them? At the moment I'm using stone tools because I'm quarrying a big empty rectangle to eventually make some sort of giant farming area, so I don't want to waste diamond on tools to dig up dirt and sand. I know the rules about anything below Iron not being able to produce drops from precious stone blocks - but is this what people generally do, or do you guys always use the best available materials for tools no matter what you're doing?

Also, I find Iron ore relatively rare actually, I would like to get on with some mine tracks and some of the more juicy stuff, but iron hasn't been that available for me. I think I might just devote a couple of evenings to branch mining and nothing else to bump up my stocks.

Venfayth

Red Liquorice said:
I have a question about tools - What materials should I be using for them? At the moment I'm using stone tools because I'm quarrying a big empty rectangle to eventually make some sort of giant farming area, so I don't want to waste diamond on tools to dig up dirt and sand. I know the rules about anything below Iron not being able to produce drops from precious stone blocks - but is this what people generally do, or do you guys always use the best available materials for tools no matter what you're doing?

Heh. I've met a few people that say they only use diamond for mining obsidian and other rare materials. Fuck that, I say. The primary benefit of using diamond materials is that they're faster and last longer, which is exactly what I want when I'm clearing a ton of simple materials.

I always save enough diamond to make sure I have at least one diamond pickaxe in reserve in case I do run out, just because you should always have one.

Other than that, I say burn through your diamond/iron pickaxes because it'll make the task quicker. (Unless you need them for something else, obviously)

Thanks, I was using diamond stuff, I got a bit too far away from home and killed, then couldn't find where I died :(

Looking at the wiki crafting recipes, diamonds don't have a whole lot of use besides tools and armour, so I guess I will use them for tools/weapons just to get stuff done faster :)

Toki1776

Red Liquorice said:
Also, I find Iron ore relatively rare actually, I would like to get on with some mine tracks and some of the more juicy stuff, but iron hasn't been that available for me. I think I might just devote a couple of evenings to branch mining and nothing else to bump up my stocks.

I've found that exploring large caves is a a little bit better than branch mining for collecting a bunch of iron ore (and coal) just because you cover more ground, and have to mine a bit less. Watch for mobs, though!

Ranger X

Toki1776 said:
I've found that exploring large caves is a a little bit better than branch mining for collecting a bunch of iron ore (and coal) just because you cover more ground, and have to mine a bit less. Watch for mobs, though!

Yes, spelunking really is the way to go.
Torches (duh) + bow + arrows = must.

Jasoco

Banned
Acullis said:
Slightly more relevant update to the pax tidbit:
Makes the most sense. Otherwise they'll release it and people will complain about stuff being so different and not the way they want it. So let people test it at PAX first.

Can't wait to see a video review of it that will inevitably show up on many gaming blogs. Maybe Sagat will do one for Destructoid.... if he goes to PAX? Or maybe Tara Long? She liked MineCraft for a while.

Now August seems so far away.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
ckohler said:
Here's my latest creation. I call it the VLA or Vertical Livestock Accelerator. It's basically an elaborate passive mob trap. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHr7nWkIdsA

We need to build one of these on Neocraft. If not for the drops, at least for pure entertainment! Out over the ocean would be the best, nowhere else for the mobs to spawn!

Venfayth

Mengy said:
We need to build one of these on Neocraft. If not for the drops, at least for pure entertainment! Out over the ocean would be the best, nowhere else for the mobs to spawn!

Deserts are good, too.

Mengy said:

Hell yeah. I need some serious white woolage.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow ckohler's trap is...amazing.

Couldn't you just do a lazy-man's version of this? Like could I just find some big watery area, and make the grass platform in the sky, then just let mobs rain down onto something hard so they die from fall damage? Or do they not take that much fall damage?

onken

ckohler said:
Here's my latest creation. I call it the VLA or Vertical Livestock Accelerator. It's basically an elaborate passive mob trap. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHr7nWkIdsA

hahah the chicken flusher is the best part.

Grinchy said:

Couldn't you just do a lazy-man's version of this? Like could I just find some big watery area, and make the grass platform in the sky, then just let mobs rain down onto something hard so they die from fall damage? Or do they not take that much fall damage?

Gee, someone didn't watch the whole video!

Ranger X

Grinchy said:

Normally, that trap would be more effective with the usual canal technique + multiple grassy floors full of torches. If there's grass and light, good mobs are spawning.
I'd be curious to make a "good mob grinder" in the middle of the ocean but designed like my normal mob grinder. Needless to say, being in the middle of the ocean is an excellent idea.

Jasoco

Banned
My question is how did you do all the floating signs? Is there a bug that allows signs to be placed on air like that? That's what we need to see. And could it be done on the server without hacks?

I'm thinking about doing some huge multi-level farming thing, but what would be some good uses for a huge quarry like this one I just fried my brain making?

5bZDd.gif

I intend to build a medieval castle tower on the side of the cliff in the distance with the obscene amounts of cobblestone I quarried.

mcrae

Jasoco said:
My question is how did you do all the floating signs? Is there a bug that allows signs to be placed on air like that? That's what we need to see. And could it be done on the server without hacks?

i think you can either put signs on walls, or put signs on ground then mine the ground and they stay if they are on a wall

edit: you can place signs on walls.

Ranger X said:
You should connect it with the current tunnel between Middleland and Booty Bay.

I've been looking at the map and if i'm right in presuming the tunnel you mean, that's a little more than a 1 man job :p

the floor for most of the tunnel is complete and as soon as it's done, if people want, we can begin laying the track while I finish off the hollowing out and adding in of decoration and whatnot. Then I can actually get back to finishing my house in Al-Medina!

As for the 'stations'... is anywhere good or does anyone have a specific place where they think the entrance should be?

Did some major landscaping.

Hey, Mik... you mentioned wanting to build a castle in that one area. Artist dude cleared it off, so I think we should start it up. Or anybody else that wants to do it, actually. Something that looks like this:

himeji-castle-japan.jpg

It's beyond my skill level for sure. BUt, I'm sure there is somebody on Neocraft with the skills to make it happen.

There is a small Island south of Arkyo... I think Ark should build his pagoda on that island.

blamite

So I'm just exploring Neocraft for the first time, looking for someplace to settle down and put up a house/ start up a wool tower (you guys don't have one of those yet, do you? :p) and it feels like I can't walk 5 feet without bumping into some awesome thing someone's put up.

I think I'm going to need a bit of time to scout out the right location...

ckohler

Ranger X said:
Normally, that trap would be more effective with the usual canal technique + multiple grassy floors full of torches. If there's grass and light, good mobs are spawning.
Light is no longer a factor with passive mobs. There need only be grass blocks for them to spawn. The rules are:
1) Passive mobs only spawn on grass blocks regardless of light
2) Up to 15 total passive mobs will always be present within a 144 radius around the player
3) No mobs can spawn within the immediate 20 meter radius of the player
Jasoco said:
Well, duh. But all those signs in the video were floating in mid-air across gaps instead of against the walls.
You can place signs on other signs. Try it. :)

Articalys

So, portals.
Can someone help explain, with no portals already existing on the map, why I can make a portal in the normal world, warp to the nether, jump right back into the generated portal, and end up exiting another generated portal somewhere completely fucking different in the normal world?

I did a bit of research with portal mechanics and took the coordinate measurements in my game, and the only conclusion I reached is that I just had extraordinarily bad luck with the rounding and initial autogen portal placement in the nether.

Ranger X

ckohler said:
Light is no longer a factor with passive mobs.

So they spawn during the night now? Didn't notice that. In that case, I would question the grid like form of your spawning floor. For bad mobs, you need an area of 8x8 blocks so you're sure a full group of mobs will spawn. While I didn't make comparison with good mobs since a long time, I'd be curious to test if the quantity of holes you have in your spawning floor is actually making the spawning harder...

mcrae

Articalys said:
So, portals.
Can someone help explain, with no portals already existing on the map, why I can make a portal in the normal world, warp to the nether, jump right back into the generated portal, and end up exiting another generated portal somewhere completely fucking different in the normal world?

I did a bit of research with portal mechanics and took the coordinate measurements in my game, and the only conclusion I reached is that I just had extraordinarily bad luck with the rounding and initial autogen portal placement in the nether.

i think you're right. the portal tries to generate in a certain area, but it cant because there are alreay blocks there, so it keeps trying untill it finds free space. but now the location of the portal is so far off where it should be, that it is closer to a different portal in the real world than it is to your portal in the real world.

Quixzlizx

ckohler said:
Light is no longer a factor with passive mobs. There need only be grass blocks for them to spawn. The rules are:
1) Passive mobs only spawn on grass blocks regardless of light
2) Up to 15 total passive mobs will always be present within a 144 radius around the player
3) No mobs can spawn within the immediate 20 meter radius of the player

Do animals still de-spawn when you leave the area? It's hard to set up a petting zoo when you have to start from scratch whenever you return from exploration.

Ranger X

Quixzlizx said:
Do animals still de-spawn when you leave the area? It's hard to set up a petting zoo when you have to start from scratch whenever you return from exploration.

Yes they do despawn. But in the adventure update they will become permanent, or close to.

Mengy

Toki1776 said:
Alright, I plan to take Neocraft down for trimming today, at 7:30 PM EST. It will be down for around 2-3 hours.

Aww. Oh well, I'll do house chores or something until it's back up. Maybe I'll play a bit of Terraria, I haven't played any of that in weeks now.

Ark

Once Toki has trimmed the map, I'll get around to installing the BigBrother mod on the server. It basically records who or what moved/removed/placed a block of anything and at what time, and where.

Ark said:
Once Toki has trimmed the map, I'll get around to installing the BigBrother mod on the server. It basically records who or what moved/removed/placed a block of anything and at what time, and where.

Do we have griefers?

Ever since I first started playing Minecraft I've been playing on my mediocre laptop, using tricks (Optifog being the most important) to make it run at a pretty good level. Well my brother just got a big, new alienware desktop...

Dear God. Like, 300 fps. I know that at the point, it doesn't matter, but that's astounding. So I turned everything I could on as fancy as I could and I'm still at around 150. Makes me want to install one of those crazy, hyper realistic texture packs and a bunch of computationally heavy mods like FiniteLiquid and go to town.

Mengy

Ark said:

That's outstanding news! We have had some minor griefing but it's been pretty consistent for awhile now, this should help us put a stop to that. I would love for the minecart track between spawn and Booty Bay to stay intact for a change...

Thanks Ark!

Top Bottom