• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
I just finished building my new home where I'll have my new storage and everything. Got tired of having to climb my island every time I set a new /home :p. It's to the left of Arkyoto spawn, on an island near it :)

It's the island showing on the background

6RErU.png

Nice place! Will have to visit.
By the way, I tried to connect yesterday night but you litterally left right after I connected.

vetrox

Thank you so much for the tour Mik2121 (edit: I'm washaa btw), the mosque and pyramid are jaw-dropping. My vacation starts today, I hope not too much time will be sucked up by Minecraft, but with this new server...

Please have a look at the project my father currently is working on, the floating castle from the movie Laputa! I've seen a few on youtube but I haven't walked around on them. Exploring this one is pure joy since it's riddled with secret passageways and vistas. To gather material for it he's mining out a large canyon further off on his server, which also looks like a great landmark so far. I'm suspecting the admin gave him some mossy cobblestone though :)

ibWZ8k.JPG

More pictures.

Ranger X said:
Where does this come from? Terrain generation mod?
If not, can you give the seed that gives this landscape?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/iqoy6/amazing_custom_biome_worlds_screenshots_download/

There is the reddit thread I saw that had these. Sorry for not responding sooner. He has the links in the top comment, which I think are the worlds. I'm surprised more of you don't check out reddit.com/r/minecraft . There is always amazing minecraft related things going on there. Same with crafthub.com if you haven't checked that site out. I watch videos and view screens of minecraft more than I play :p

Ranger X

Awesome Animals said:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/iqoy6/amazing_custom_biome_worlds_screenshots_download/

There is the reddit thread I saw that had these. Sorry for not responding sooner. He has the links in the top comment, which I think are the worlds. I'm surprised more of you don't check out reddit.com/r/minecraft . There is always amazing minecraft related things going on there. Same with crafthub.com if you haven't checked that site out. I watch videos and view screens of minecraft more than I play :p

Honestly I am not following the mod scene at all. Also, my game is vanilla, I don't even use a texture pack. :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ranger X said:
Honestly I am not following the mod scene at all. Also, my game is vanilla, I don't even use a texture pack. :)

Yeah, I've never modded at all with this game. And I have always used the default tex pack, and I actually like it. Well, except for glass, I have a small tex mod I made myself that replaces the glass with a painterly version. But that's it. The default glass is just horrid. I can't believe it hasn't been changed ye

Mengy said:
Yeah, I've never modded at all with this game. And I have always used the default tex pack, and I actually like it. Well, except for glass, I have a small tex mod I made myself that replaces the glass with a painterly version. But that's it. The default glass is just horrid. I can't believe it hasn't been changed ye

I also like the original texture but I do hate that glass a lot. It seems like almost everyone does.

Grokbu

Ark said:
There is no whitelist, just please do not distribute the IP, unless it's to trusted friends.
I'd hate to be pain, but I have a friend who I really trust, and I'd like to ask if he could join the server?
I'm certain that he would keep the IP a secret if I told him to.

Again. I'm really sorry if I'm being a nuisance.

HenryHSH

Grokbu said:
I'd hate to be pain, but I have a friend who I really trust, and I'd like to ask if he could join the server?
I'm certain that he would keep the IP a secret if I told him to.

Again. I'm really sorry if I'm being a nuisance.

I'm sure it'll be fine as long as you trust the friend.

Tawpgun

Anyone mind posting good, clean designed, good artstyle, maybe cartoony like texture packs? Nothing that's higher resolution than normal, I can't handle HD packs.

I have Shortstuf7's clean design pack. Stuff like that.

Woorloog

Banned
Floating castle?
Mother of God...

Fuck.

I'm never the first one to build something really special. Or to post about it.

But to be honest, i'm not keen on building big stuff on Survival. Big stuff takes a lot of work anyway, Survival makes big projects almost impossible for me.

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
Nice place! Will have to visit.
By the way, I tried to connect yesterday night but you litterally left right after I connected.
Damn, really?. I didn't do it on purpose! :(

A27 Tawpgun said:
Anyone mind posting good, clean designed, good artstyle, maybe cartoony like texture packs? Nothing that's higher resolution than normal, I can't handle HD packs.

I have Shortstuf7's clean design pack. Stuff like that.
I usually don't like most of the texture packs, and most of the time end up playing with the default pack. But there's one pack I actually enjoy..

http://pixeludi.com/minecraft

6.jpg

5.jpg

Could anyone recommend a good seed that would give me some really epic valleys? Tried a bunch of words and checked a few sites but haven't found one I really like yet.

Ranger X

Charmicarmicat said:
Could anyone recommend a good seed that would give me some really epic valleys? Tried a bunch of words and checked a few sites but haven't found one I really like yet.

It's in any seeds really. You should take a seed and explore it some.
What do you exactly mean by "epic valleys" ?

Ranger X said:
It's in any seeds really. You should take a seed and explore it some.
What do you exactly mean by "epic valleys" ?

Ravines is probably a better word to use, just a seed with a nice system of ravines. Although I guess with the way Minecraft worlds are generated it would be more like lots of tall mountains on either side.

notsol337

marked forever
Charmicarmicat said:

gargamel

Does anyone else have the problem of water "remembering" where blocks once were?

I've built a mob grinder as per the tutorial on the minecraft wiki, and at some point I accidently put a block in the path of water, or took some away - well it remembers where the block was and flows over that free space, and items and mobs are getting caught there.

I've had this happen before when I placed some blocks under a waterfall, the water flowed around the blocks - I stopped the waterfall, removed the blocks, started the waterfall again, but the flow of water 'remembered' where the blocks were and continued to flow out as if there were still there :-?

notsol337

marked forever
Red Liquorice said:
Does anyone else have the problem of water "remembering" where blocks once were?

I've built a mob grinder as per the tutorial on the minecraft wiki, and at some point I accidently put a block in the path of water, or took some away - well it remembers where the block was and flows over that free space, and items and mobs are getting caught there.

I've had this happen before when I placed some blocks under a waterfall, the water flowed around the blocks - I stopped the waterfall, removed the blocks, started the waterfall again, but the flow of water 'remembered' where the blocks were and continued to flow out as if there were still there :-?

Replace the source block(s) D:

Toki1776

Red Liquorice said:

When you remove the water, let it drain completely before replacing the source block. Make sure there are no other source blocks contributing to the flow. Alternatively, you could place and remove blocks to shape the flow of the water.

fresquito

SomeOneInaHat said:
Yep, direct Fraps screenshot.

When I scroll over login everything goes blurry. It does the same thing in Windows Movie Maker.

The programs work fine otherwise (Only blurry login or start up screens)
If you're using MLAA with any program that might be causing it.

I did remove the source blocks from the waterfall - the water stopped completely, I then removed the offending blocks which caused it to flow over them, then started the water again, but it 'remembers' where the blocks were and continues to flow out as if the blocks were still underneath.

Ranger X

Charmicarmicat said:
Ravines is probably a better word to use, just a seed with a nice system of ravines. Although I guess with the way Minecraft worlds are generated it would be more like lots of tall mountains on either side.

Well, my answer remains the same. All the seeds contains everything there is that the game can render. It's just that the landscape is different in every seed and the spawn at a different place. You have 2 choices:

- You stick to one seed and explore.
- You generate random seeds until you find one with a spawn near some cliffs.

From the top of my head I remember that if you input "Glacier" as the seed, you will get huge cliffs near where you're spawning.

Drazgul

Charmicarmicat said:

You'd be better off getting the PhoenixTerrainMod and looking up some relevant settings for it. At its current state MC's default worldgen won't do convincing valleys/ravines.

Thunderchild42

Neo Member
Hello folks, just making myself known. I've been playing on Arks server for a while under the handle Procrastinator. Just got my forum account approved to post. I've helped Henry recently on some of his buildings interior (the exterior was far to amazing for me to not want to mess with it). If anybody else has any large projects they would like help on or to start, let me know. : )

Enco

Awesome Animals said:
That is super wonderful. He has yet to disappoint me. I can't even begin to imagine what is in that head of his. That magnificent head.
He has hardly given us anything to make this game more gamey. 1.8 looks like it will change that but I would say he has been hugely disappointing.

Qwomo

Awesome Animals said:
That is super wonderful. He has yet to disappoint me. I can't even begin to imagine what is in that head of his. That magnificent head.
Have you been playing Minecraft long?

Qwomo said:
Have you been playing Minecraft long?

About a year. I like the direction he took it in, and, I think he has been extremely encouraging of the modding community, and hopefully he has the API ready in 1.8 (I think he is supposed to). I think he has displayed that he has a grand plan for it all, and he at least deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Enco said:
He has hardly given us anything to make this game more gamey. 1.8 looks like it will change that but I would say he has been hugely disappointing.

I don't particularly want things to make it more 'gamey' - sure, better combat would be awesome, but for the most part I just want more content. More mobs, more blocks and ores, more crafting possibilities, more variety in the landscape generated, etc. I'd gladly take any of that over NPC villages and basic quests, but will still welcome those changes when they arrive in 1.8.

I think the only disappointing thing in regards to how Notch has handled the game is the lack of updates. I liked it when he had a weekly update every Thursday. They weren't major updates, but they at least added in something new every week, even if it wasn't something minor or superficial.

Mengy

Awesome Animals said:
About a year. I like the direction he took it in, and, I think he has been extremely encouraging of the modding community, and hopefully he has the API ready in 1.8 (I think he is supposed to). I think he has displayed that he has a grand plan for it all, and he at least deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Like you, I've been very happy with Minecraft and what Notch has done. That's not to say that I wouldn't appreciate a lot more gamey elements thrown in. Terraria does have some nice ideas that really showcase what MC is missing, and 1.8 does seem to be addressing a lot of that. And many of the mods have demonstrated much of what would push Minecraft into a whole different stratosphere of gaming. But, and this is a big but, if Notch quit all work on Minecraft today and 1.7.3 was the final version we ever got of the game, I would still be completely satisfied with my purchase and feel like I have gotten my money's worth. I freaking love playing this game, even as it is now.

Bootaaay said:
I don't particularly want things to make it more 'gamey' - sure, better combat would be awesome, but for the most part I just want more content. More mobs, more blocks and ores, more crafting possibilities, more variety in the landscape generated, etc. I'd gladly take any of that over NPC villages and basic quests, but will still welcome those changes when they arrive in 1.8.

Yeah, this is how I feel too. Some things I would absolutely love to see added to 1.8:

- stained glass (and better default glass)
- birds
- sandstone stairs
- make cocoa farmable, or at least add more ways to collect it
- more enemy types, maybe even boss versions of the mobs
- diving helmet
- mining helmet
- half doors (for fence rows)
- quartered block sizes to add more detailing abilities
- water noises in boats, and track noises in minecarts

And that's just off the top of my head, lol.

Orlandu84

Mengy said:
Like you, I've been very happy with Minecraft and what Notch has done. That's not to say that I wouldn't appreciate a lot more gamey elements thrown in. Terraria does have some nice ideas that really showcase what MC is missing, and 1.8 does seem to be addressing a lot of that. And many of the mods have demonstrated much of what would push Minecraft into a whole different stratosphere of gaming. But, and this is a big but, if Notch quit all work on Minecraft today and 1.7.3 was the final version we ever got of the game, I would still be completely satisfied with my purchase and feel like I have gotten my money's worth. I freaking love playing this game, even as it is now.

Ditto. I have found Minecraft to be one of the most addicting yet fulfilling games that I have every played. In fact, I had to stop playing it for a while just so that I had time to play other games, making Minecraft one of two games that I only let myself play on days off. Frankly, I am still in awe of how good the game is right now (not that it doesn't have imperfections). Keep going Notch!

Mengy

Acullis said:
I came to post this.

I'm more curious about the hunger bar as well as the other undefined bar immediately above the block bar.

Taller worlds, I have to admit I would love for the world to be 128 deep below sea level and 128 up to the sky limit. It would allow so much more room for digging and building and exploring and such.

As for that screenshot, I'm not sure I like the idea of a hunger bar, but it may be kind of fun. Actually, the more I think about it I do kind of like it. But that new bar below it kind of looks like an experience bar. I wonder if Notch is toying around with adding XP to Minecraft?

Twinduct

Acullis said:
I came to post this.

I'm more curious about the hunger bar as well as the other undefined bar immediately above the block bar.

Think the hungerbar is for the adventure mode.
Bar beneath that, XP?

God I want custom heights. Seems to be easier to mod now though, of course people need to mod the generator as well. I'll come back to the game for 512 height!

Ranger X

Holyfuck. I know it already been said but I'm so excited by the sky getting higher!!
Maybe he decided that skyland won't be an alternate dimension?

Needless to say, if we pass from 64 blocks over water level to 512... it's amazing!!

nowNT.png

Game of the forever. AGAIN.

Mengy

Ranger X said:
Holyfuck. I know it already been said but I'm so excited by the sky getting higher!!

Needless to say, if we pass from 64 blocks over water level to 512... it's amazing!!

Game of the forever. AGAIN.

It all sounds well and good, BUT my biggest concern is game performance. There is only so much you can do with Java as a programming code, and the world generation can be laggy at times in game now. He has always said in the past that the main reason he won't increase the world height is due to performance. Either he found a way to optimize it greatly, or he is just going to give us the option, or the game is about to get a whole lot more laggy.

Snow topped mountains would be cool as all hell though... and imagine the rumored sky dimension simply a new biome added to the world. And what if he added underground biomes? This game has so much creative potential it's almost overwhelming...

Mik2121

Ranger X said:

http://i.imgur.com/nowNT.png[IMG]

Game of the forever. AGAIN.[/QUOTE]
What I don't like is that he set the height as a variable that can be changed modding. I know, it's just modding... but I just don't like it. I like all the features to be available in vanilla. He could just make a select option when creating a world where you can choose the height or something.

It's the same for many stuff like more collectibles, more materials, etc... People say "you can have it all and more via mods!", and I know it... but I don't want to be playing with that kind of stuff. It just doesn't feel right to me. I want a lot of stuff to be added to vanilla, or at least switchable within the options when creating a world, or something.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
What I don't like is that he set the height as a variable that can be changed modding. I know, it's just modding... but I just don't like it. I like all the features to be available in vanilla. He could just make a select option when creating a world where you can choose the height or something.

It's the same for many stuff like more collectibles, more materials, etc... People say "you can have it all and more via mods!", and I know it... but I don't want to be playing with that kind of stuff. It just doesn't feel right to me. I want a lot of stuff to be added to vanilla, or at least switchable within the options when creating a world, or something.

well, why wouldn't this be in 1.8? He said it won't be a new set height?

Top Bottom