• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X said:
Holyfuck. I know it already been said but I'm so excited by the sky getting higher!!
Maybe he decided that skyland won't be an alternate dimension?

Needless to say, if we pass from 64 blocks over water level to 512... it's amazing!!

[amazing height limit screenshot]

Game of the forever. AGAIN.

Wait, what is this image? I haven't been keeping up. Is it a mod? Is it a 1.8 preview?

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
well, why wouldn't this be in 1.8? He said it won't be a new set height?
@notch
Markus Persson
The level height in Minecraft now depends on a single field in the Level class, for easier modding. The default will remain 128, though.
2 hours ago via web

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
webrunner said:
Wait a sec.. there's a food bar, yes..

but where's the armor bar gone?

Interesting point, I hadn't even noticed that it was gone. Honestly, I never even wear armor, I'd rather die than waste the iron bars, lol. Maybe he is removing durability loss from armor? I'd actually wear armor if that was the case...

I had a whole long post typed byt my phone messed up and deleted it. :(
Here's the gist.
1. Food bar should only be on "Realistic Difficulty" as per notch.
2. Really want tall maps, but only if high floating structures stop casting shadow.
3. Anything above a certain height should get snowcapped.
4. Notch should remove armor bar and make it so armor gives your hearts grey outlines to represent it. Cant take damage on the hearts until the armor is gone.

webrunner

Firebrand said:
Streamlined out, pork chop is now armor.

UwrBD.jpg

Venfayth

vas_a_morir said:
It looks like the armor bar is actually below the health and food bar... maybe.

Ahh that's probably what it is. I didn't think he'd implement an EXP/leveling system without prior announcement.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
@notch
Markus Persson
The level height in Minecraft now depends on a single field in the Level class, for easier modding. The default will remain 128, though.
2 hours ago via web

*cries*
Anyways, I will take anything that he updates. I'm a fucking whore for Minecraft :(

Rapstah

Ranger X said:
*cries*
Anyways, I will take anything that he updates. I'm a fucking whore for Minecraft :(
It'll probably take editing like three or four values at most to have the engine generating levels of whatever height you want.

Ranger X

bengraven said:
If he lets us customize it on new worlds, we're going to need to build another world for 1.8.

I am more and more tempted to create a new world for my single player needs when the update comes out. It really looks to be huge and game changing.

Oyashiro

I bought this game back during the Alpha but I never play it because it runs so terribly on my 2007 MacBook :/ Seriously, I have pretty much EVERYTHING on low settings (including render distance, which makes it a lot less fun...) and my computer STILL struggles. The game just isn't enjoyable at that point.

Mengy

Ranger X said:
*cries*

Don't worry, there will be a mod within days after 1.8 hits that puts an option right into the world creation interface to adjust the height level. I'm sure the reason why Notch isn't putting it there himself is because of the performance hit larger worlds brings. I'll be curious to see just how bad the hit is.

And if it isn't too bad then my single player world will be going bye bye for a new taller world. In a New York minute!

Wichu

Oyashiro said:
I bought this game back during the Alpha but I never play it because it runs so terribly on my 2007 MacBook :/ Seriously, I have pretty much EVERYTHING on low settings (including render distance, which makes it a lot less fun...) and my computer STILL struggles. The game just isn't enjoyable at that point.
It works fine on mine (framerate isn't the best, but still playable). Try installing this mod; it might help.

Ranger X

Mengy said:
Don't worry, there will be a mod within days after 1.8 hits that puts an option right into the world creation interface to adjust the height level. I'm sure the reason why Notch isn't putting it there himself is because of the performance hit larger worlds brings. I'll be curious to see just how bad the hit is.

And if it isn't too bad then my single player world will be going bye bye for a new taller world. In a New York minute!

I hope he will simply create some "advanced options" tab or something and leave people to try whatever they want with the new options. At least the mods will be better after that update and always compatible so that's a major plus that MIGHT not make play completely vanilla.

Mengy

Apparently Jeb just tweeted that he has added 5 new food items to 1.8. This would seem to make sense alongside the hunger meter posted earlier.

I hope we get a cauldron or something along with those food items, like seen in Better Than Wolves.

I want to cook multiple porks without wasting mah fuel!

Blizzard

Banned
Enco said:
He has hardly given us anything to make this game more gamey. 1.8 looks like it will change that but I would say he has been hugely disappointing.
I like the game being freeform and not quest/"gamey"-focused, to provide a counterpoint!

However, it would be cool if both options become available. I do think Link's Awakening is awesome.

bengraven

LA being an inspiration for this update is kind of strange.

But then when you think about it, not so much:

The givens:

- island structure
- dungeons
- creative monsters

Others:

- dungeons being more like Zelda...Notch has said end-game type scenarios he's looked at were like "get 8 crystals" or something similar. Maybe you have to find the dungeons and get the item from inside this massive, massive dungeon and put them together and the main villain arrives
- small villages with a few key landmarks
- music brings animals to you - hey I can dream can't I!?

LordAlu

That bar under the hearts and food looks like an experience bar... maybe doing stuff in adventure mode gains you experience which in turn increases the number of hearts you have?

Cranzor

C418's new album, 72 Minutes of Fame has been released. It's very good, although I've only listened to a few of the tracks. Digital album is $6.99, physical copy preorder (comes with digital download) is $9.99, and a signed physical copy preorder (also comes with digital download) is $14.99.

Also,
CjiKz.png

HenryHSH

Thunderchild42 said:
Hello folks, just making myself known. I've been playing on Arks server for a while under the handle Procrastinator. Just got my forum account approved to post. I've helped Henry recently on some of his buildings interior (the exterior was far to amazing for me to not want to mess with it). If anybody else has any large projects they would like help on or to start, let me know. : )

Hey Ryan! Welcome to GAF. Your work on the interior is amazing. I've run out of sandstone and haven't had the will to get on and mine for a week now. :(

Mik2121 said:
@notch
Markus Persson
2 hours ago via web

ARK! No excuse not to increase height and get the clouds out of my mosque in 1.8!

Jasoco

Banned
Will you be able to increase the height of already existent worlds though?

I can't wait to see all the new stuff laid out on the table. PAX, please come sooner!

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Will you be able to increase the height of already existent worlds though?

I can't wait to see all the new stuff laid out on the table. PAX, please come sooner!

Pretty 100% sure it will be a "no".
Anything that ever updated couldn't appear in already generated chunks (except objects that are spawning of course, like mobs). Most probably that your only way to get the new height in your seed would be to delete you would like to be regenerated after that with the new version.

bengraven

Maybe not. Maybe the areas you've discovered are just empty above 128, but new chunks will feature geometry above that. You'd still be able to build higher in discovered chunks, just not see new geometry up there.

EXCEPT SKYLAND

Ranger X

bengraven said:
Maybe not. Maybe the areas you've discovered are just empty above 128, but new chunks will feature geometry above that. You'd still be able to build higher in discovered chunks, just not see new geometry up there.

EXCEPT SKYLAND

That's precisely what I think would happen. A chunk in your world that has never generated before absolutely does generate according the new parameters of an update, be it from an old seed or not. I was just saying that the chunks that are already generated before the update won't change. (the sky would still change height most probably.)

Jasoco

Banned
I still think Sky Land should be a world above the normal world, and the Nether should be a world below the normal world, all connected seamlessly so you could technically build a tower from the bottom of Hell to the highest floating island in the sky. All they'd need to do is figure out how to do vertical Chunks (So higher and lower chunks unload and load the same way normal horizontal ones do) and get rid of the outdated concept of using Hell for Fast Travel. Instead make it so you build either Hell Portals (Purple) or Sky Portals (Green) that will teleport you to the closest place in the other dimension.

Then if you make a Hell portal in the Sky, you will go to Hell. Or you make a Sky portal in Hell and go to the Sky, or just return to Earth by making a Sky portal in the Sky or Hell portal in Hell.

Know what I mean? It would be so much cooler in the long run because it'd be more realistic. Instead of having bedrock at the bottom of the normal world, you would begin to run into Netherrack and would eventually dig yourself into the Nether. (NEVER DIG STRAIGHT DOWN!)

If they used my Vertical Chunk method, they could implement it fine with no added slowdown really. As it would only load chunks surrounding the player(s) both horizontally and vertically in all three dimensions instead of just two. (X, Y and Z instead of just X and Z.) The Nether would take up the values -128 to 0 instead. Earth would be 0 to whatever they decide for 1.8 and the Sky realm would be another 128 on top of that. But it would be seamless enough to not matter as a tower could be built all the way up through both "barriers" which wouldn't really exist as it would no longer be separate dimensions that needed to be loaded and unloaded rather all one dimension with chunks stacking in all three directions.

Of course it would require a brand new world to work, but FUCKING HELL it would be amazing.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
dont they already use vertical chunks anyway?

i've seen chunk errors in tall buildings tall buildings that dont extend wall the way top to bottom.

I think i recal reading that vertical chunks are a problem because you can fall faster than they load. So if you jumped off your sky tower, your nether chunkunder it might not load in time and you'd fall through.

Also, if clouds annoy you, download the mod Optifog. It not only will make you game run much, much better, but allows you to adjust cloud height.

Mengy

bathala said:
New glass "block"?

Interesting. Jeb also tweeted that they have not removed the glass block, so this is a new type of glass block in addition to the old one. I like that.

What I don't like is the damn white lines through the glass. STILL. I wish to God they would get rid of or at least minimize them someway, I hate the look of the default glass texture. SO MUCH.

I bet it was a real pane to code this in though...

So its like a Window Block? Thats cool. Hopefully you can make the window block and glass block have different textures.

Also gives me hope that more decorative options are coming. Like furniture and stuff to fill houses with.

Venfayth

It seems like it's going to function similarly to how the fence blocks work. If you have any intersection, the middle block will change accordingly. Neat :)

I actually don't mind the default glass texture. But then again I don't mind anything.

I went looking for sugar cane and got completely lost after night time hit, now I'm totally disorientated and out of torches as I was leaving a trail - is there any way to find your way back to anywhere near 'home'? - I have an inventory full of goodies so I don't want to respawn D:

Incidently, I think I originally spawned in a really boring place, because I've found some amazing cliffs and valleys and even a few small floating islands. And I really wish it would stop raining :(

Red Liquorice said:
I went looking for sugar cane and got completely lost after night time hit, now I'm totally disorientated and out of torches as I was leaving a trail - is there any way to find your way back to anywhere near 'home'? - I have an inventory full of goodies so I don't want to respawn D:

Incidently, I think I originally spawned in a really boring place, because I've found some amazing cliffs and valleys and even a few small floating islands. And I really wish it would stop raining :(
Try and build a compass? Or a tall tower to look around from?

Top Bottom