• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

I'm really high up now and I can't see anywhere I recognise. Compass is gold+red dust? I haven't got either, and not many digging tools either. Oh bugger :/

LiToKi

Neo Member
Red Liquorice said:
I'm really high up now and I can't see anywhere I recognise. Compass is gold+red dust? I haven't got either, and not many digging tools either. Oh bugger :/
It's a long shot, but if you can remember in which direction the clouds moved near your base, you can walk in the opposite direction. At least you'll be going roughly ok.

Or start a 2nd base and make it your personal quest to find the 1st base :).

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
LiToKi said:
It's a long shot, but if you can remember in which direction the clouds moved near your base, you can walk in the opposite direction. At least you'll be going roughly ok.

Or start a 2nd base and make it your personal quest to find the 1st base :).

Ah, this is the biggest thing I miss from playing single player: the exploration and wanderlust feeling. On Neocraft, I can just /warp or /home and get back no problem, which is nice but it makes a big part of the game moot.

Red, I've been in your situation many many times. This is what I always do:

1. Wherever you are, build a new base. It doesn't have to be fancy, just a place to store your loot and remain safe at nights.
2. Make a bed, and sleep in it to set your spawn at the new base.
3. Make a compass. If you don't have the 4 iron and 1 redstone to make one then dig a mine (or explore a nearby cave) and get them.
4. Now, make a mental note of your surroundings, especially any landmarks, and set off following your compass heading to find your old spawn point again, all the while noting landmarks along the way so you can find you way back. Alternately, build a road or path or leave signs of some kind along the way so backtracking to the new base is easy.

Good luck!

v0mitg0d

Does anyone know where I can find the mod that's being used to take terrain scans of multiplayer servers? It kind looks like google maps? I'd love to integrate that into my home server for the fam. :)

Phew! I managed to find some redstone and iron and made a compass, it was pretty easy to get back after that, I had gone really far though, it was a long walk back! I will never be without a compass again! ;__;

Ranger X

Red Liquorice said:
Phew! I managed to find some redstone and iron and made a compass, it was pretty easy to get back after that, I had gone really far though, it was a long walk back! I will never be without a compass again! ;__;

Next time, when you want to explore and not get lost, build yourself landmarks.
I explored a whole "continent" like that, I was making towers at every chunks or two (just so the next one appears at the end of the draw distance). Basically, I could always see a landmark around me somehow. Was fun.

Ranger X said:
I explored a whole "continent" like that, I was making towers at every chunks or two (just so the next one appears at the end of the draw distance). Basically, I could always see a landmark around me somehow. Was fun.
How do you know you entered a new chunk?

Ranger X

ChoklitReign said:
How do you know you entered a new chunk?

Just gave you a ballpark to figure the distance. I only calculated the distance in matter of blocks. Like, you look at your tower while backing away from it and see exactly where it disappears.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Ranger X said:

I build 5 block high cobblestone pillars with candles on either side and one on top.

Ranger X

bathala said:
E7zi6.png

New glass "block"?

I wonder if the corners will appear automatically or if there will be 2 new different glass blocks...

Mengy

Ranger X said:
I wonder if the corners will appear automatically or if there will be 2 new different glass blocks...

I'm pretty sure it's like fences, the corners create automatically.

Ranger X said:
You die you lose your levels!! I love it.
Minecraft staying extreme and keeping us on our toes when we play!

Agreed. I'm still not sure what XP will give you as far as abilities and such, but I definitely like the idea that anything you have earned disappears upon death.

"Permadeath"? Does that mean dying in Adventure mode also deletes stuff besides your inventory like your buildings, stuff in chests, or even the world?

Oyashiro

Wichu said:
It works fine on mine (framerate isn't the best, but still playable). Try installing this mod; it might help.
Thanks so much, man. It made a nice difference :) It's at least playable now.

So I've been playing this again and have found a lot of nice resources in my world. Only problem is I can't find a decent place to build a home :/ I wish there was a faster way to travel. I looked into mods, but I messed up some files trying to install the mod manager and had to reinstall everything again.

TheBez

Mengy said:
Damn, the site is blocked from work, I'll have to read about it later. I hope it is good news.
Yesterday, Notch posted an image of a massive mountain on his Twitter feed. But that’s not all. Look closely at said image. See the bar that looks a bit like an XP bar? It is an XP bar, but it also brings something extra – permadeath. In a forthcoming update to Minecraft, not only will you be able to gain levels. You’ll lose your levelling progress if you die.

“I’m a big roguelike fan,” explains Notch. “It’s really fun. The idea is that you level up really, really fast. You can grind away and level up fast if you want to, or you can just play as normal and level up that way. The longer you play, the bigger the risk of dying becomes. It’s the part that really works. If it feels like it’s too harsh, we might make it half or something like that. But that fact that you lose everything – you lose all your inventory anyways.”

The Minecraft developer is still figuring out how players will level. “I’m not entirely sure on how the levelling is going to work, because that part isn’t as fun. We’re trying to figure out something that is fun, and kinda lightweight. We’re thinking of getting an automated XP system. It’s not implemented in any way that makes any kind of sense at the moment.”

Adding progression and permadeath could be a risky move for Minecraft’s vast playerbase. I asked Notch whether he’s concerned about ruining the purity of the game he’s created.

“It’s the biggest risk,” he acknowledges. “We have to make sure that it’s fun, and as streamlined as possible. I kind of figured out that a really good test of what works or not is when I go back to 1.7.3 – the previous version. If it feels like it’s lacking that feature, if it feels like it should be in there.

“But it’s what I like about roguealikes, like Nethack – everything is dangerous.

Huggy

From care free sandbox, to rage inducing roguelike.
I'll be installing a mod to fix this within 5 minutes after the update.

Huggy said:

Something tells me this own't be in all modes. Similar to how the hunger bar is only (I think) in Realistic Difficulty, the XP/premadeath/roguelike stuff will probably be an option that can easily be toggled.

Mengy

Huggy said:

I would like to see him make it optional. The ideal way is to just incorporate it into the difficulty slider. Make peaceful mode the carefree sandbox mode, and make easy have monsters but nothing else, normal would add the hunger bar, and hard would add the XP stuff and make it rogue-like.

That being said, I'd play on hard only if that were the case, LOL!

Ranger X

ChoklitReign said:
"Permadeath"? Does that mean dying in Adventure mode also deletes stuff besides your inventory like your buildings, stuff in chests, or even the world?

No, it only means you lose you will lose your XP, just like you currently lose your inventory when you die right now. He said the levels will be gained fast in order for this to work.
From what I understand, what should happen is that when you die, you'd need to recover your items (like right now) and build up your XP bar again.

Roody

Neo Member
Okay guys, I have a really weird question. This isn't any Herobrine bullcrap, this actually happened to me.

My girlfriend and I are playing on a private server of mine in our world and were building an underground sand temple type of thing. Chatting, building, crafting, having a good old time, when I hear a noise. And it's a noise I've heard a hundred times - cobblestone being destroyed by a pickaxe, but both my girlfriend and I were standing perfectly still. We both heard it (at the same time, too) and both quieted to listen. Basically, it sounded like someone digging through cobblestone, then eventually we heard them hit dirt and dig some of that as well.

Eventually it stopped, only to start up again a little later. We paused again and listened until it went away. I went looking everywhere nearby, caves, outcroppings, everything, looking for anything that could've made the noise and all I found was a spider and a pig above ground. I checked my server log too and no one else joined.

It was just really odd and it sounded irregular in beat, too, like the way another player would mine. Is it possible for animals or mobs or make the block-breaking noises? Or anything in the game that makes that noise other than players? Or perhaps serious lag that made the sounds I or my girlfriend made play much later? (Although our games were both running fine and have never had any problems before.)

Anyway, it was really fucking creepy... maybe our imaginations were just getting the better of us... Just wondered if anyone else ever heard this.

Ranger X

Roody said:
Okay guys, I have a really weird question. This isn't any Herobrine bullcrap, this actually happened to me.

My girlfriend and I are playing on a private server of mine in our world and were building an underground sand temple type of thing. Chatting, building, crafting, having a good old time, when I hear a noise. And it's a noise I've heard a hundred times - cobblestone being destroyed by a pickaxe, but both my girlfriend and I were standing perfectly still. We both heard it (at the same time, too) and both quieted to listen. Basically, it sounded like someone digging through cobblestone, then eventually we heard them hit dirt and dig some of that as well.

Eventually it stopped, only to start up again a little later. We paused again and listened until it went away. I went looking everywhere nearby, caves, outcroppings, everything, looking for anything that could've made the noise and all I found was a spider and a pig above ground. I checked my server log too and no one else joined.

It was just really odd and it sounded irregular in beat, too, like the way another player would mine. Is it possible for animals or mobs or make the block-breaking noises? Or anything in the game that makes that noise other than players? Or perhaps serious lag that made the sounds I or my girlfriend made play much later? (Although our games were both running fine and have never had any problems before.)

Anyway, it was really fucking creepy... maybe our imaginations were just getting the better of us... Just wondered if anyone else ever heard this.

That was the spider. When it moves and hit different block when moving and climbing, it makes sounds that are extremely similar to yours when you mine such blocks. If the sounds aren't the same they are so similar it's easy to think exactly what you thought.

Roody

Neo Member
Ranger X said:
That was the spider. When it moves and hit different block when moving and climbing, it makes sounds that are extremely similar to yours when you mine such blocks. If the sounds aren't the same they are so similar it's easy to think exactly what you thought.
Interesting. Well that solves that mystery! Thanks man.

Although, on the other hand... hey Notch, doesn't that sound like a fun little creepy thing to intentionally to the game? >:D

Man, I'm feeling pretty burnt out. Nothing's coming to mind of stuff I want to build... I've been logging in, running around my house and chatting to people, then logging off.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
ArtistDude88 said:
Man, I'm feeling pretty burnt out. Nothing's coming to mind of stuff I want to build... I've been logging in, running around my house and chatting to people, then logging off.

You're not alone, I haven't felt that creative spark for quite awhile now. Hopefully, the adventure update will bring me back to Minecraft.

Ranger X

I comes and goes I guess. I took a break at some point and since a week or two I am back in force and I can feel the addiction again. Big spelunking trip here.

Mengy

ArtistDude88 said:

Man, I'm just the opposite. I have too many things I want to build. Not to mention I need to take a night or two and tour other people's stuff. And I really want to go on a spelunking trip, I haven't done that in too long. Because I'm too busy building, lol.

1.8 is just going to crush me, because I'm not ready. And then I'll have more to do in game...

Grinchy

Banned
I was feeling the same way for a while, but I'm getting pretty into the game again. I always fluctuate between game genres, so it makes sense for me. When I come back to games like this, I remember what I liked about it so much.

There are periods of months where I don't touch an FPS, then I get back into TF2 and play it nonstop.

Ranger X

Mengy said:
Man, I'm just the opposite. I have too many things I want to build. Not to mention I need to take a night or two and tour other people's stuff. And I really want to go on a spelunking trip, I haven't done that in too long. Because I'm too busy building, lol.

1.8 is just going to crush me, because I'm not ready. And then I'll have more to do in game...

Probably won't come anytime soon so...

How does multiplayer work? I haven't done anything but single player yet. Are we free to just walk around anywhere on the GAF servers, are there any restrictions on where we can or cannot build/mine?

Red Liquorice said:
How does multiplayer work? I haven't done anything but single player yet. Are we free to just walk around anywhere on the GAF servers, are there any restrictions on where we can or cannot build/mine?

Nope, no restrictions other than don't mess with other peoples stuff. You can build where ever you like, although the community projects like Booty Bay, Al-Medina, Moria & Arkyoto have stylistic themes that you have to stick to when building there.

Souplak

So im playing on Neocraft server with my friend(he just started playing less that a week ago) and brother. We built a floating island between Booty Bay and that big building you get to when you warp to Liberty, anyway we built a nether portal but we didnt know you where not allowed to use fire. So is there anyway we can get a Mod to set fire to the portal or something like that?

The Nether does work in SMP right?

v0mitg0d

This was asked on the previous page, sorry to repost it but we're eager to find a solution:

Does anyone know where I can find a mod/tool that's appears to be used to take terrain scans of multiplayer servers? You know, to get a birds eye view of the landscape? It kind looks like google maps.

Thanks!

spuit*11

Banned
v0mitg0d said:
This was asked on the previous page, sorry to repost it but we're eager to find a solution:

Does anyone know where I can find a mod/tool that's appears to be used to take terrain scans of multiplayer servers? You know, to get a birds eye view of the landscape? It kind looks like google maps.

Thanks!
Take a look at this page. I'm sure you'll find one that will suit your needs.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_editors

Toki1776

v0mitg0d said:

Thanks!

For the Neocraft renders, I use a program called Tectonicus: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/90080-tectonicus-v202-now-with-views/

It takes a little bit of tweaking, but once you get used to it, there's quite a few options.

So, my limited time on NeoCraft, I noticed that most of the paths are gravel. I figured, that to contribute to the server, since I am not a builder per say, that I would work on a beautification project of sorts. Starting with the paths, maybe adding street lights, and fixing up the surrounding landscape. Now, I don't want to upset anyone by doing this, so I figured I would post in here and ask if this is alright first. I'm jumping on now, and I'll ask some of the donators how they feel.

Awesome Animals said:
So, my limited time on NeoCraft, I noticed that most of the paths are gravel. I figured, that to contribute to the server, since I am not a builder per say, that I would work on a beautification project of sorts. Starting with the paths, maybe adding street lights, and fixing up the surrounding landscape. Now, I don't want to upset anyone by doing this, so I figured I would post in here and ask if this is alright first. I'm jumping on now, and I'll ask some of the donators how they feel.

Personally I HATE gravel roads, it's the worst material in the game aesthetically. I think the best style of road is the one Ark suggested that we used for Booty Bay; two or three blocks of cobble (or brick if you have an insane amount of clay), with stone half-step borders either side. However, I think Mik specifically wanted gravel for the Arkyoto roads, as it's a better alternative to the dirt roads you'd expect to find in a period Japanese town.

Grinchy

Banned
I used to hate gravel, but then I started using justforcraft (texture pack). The gravel looks so awesome. I almost incorporated it into my new house but I decided not to since it's so ugly in all other packs.

I loved some of the roads on Asscraft. They were 5 blocks wide. 3 blocks of smooth stone in the middle, with stone step blocks acting as the border (not halves, but 2 halves for a whole). It would be really tedious to do a lot of roads this way, though.

Bootaaay said:
Personally I HATE gravel roads, it's the worst material in the game aesthetically. I think the best style of road is the one Ark suggested that we used for Booty Bay; two or three blocks of cobble (or brick if you have an insane amount of clay), with stone half-step borders either side. However, I think Mik specifically wanted gravel for the Arkyoto roads, as it's a better alternative to the dirt roads you'd expect to find in a period Japanese town.

Gravel is on the side roads in Arkyo, the main roads are 3-wide stone slabs.

Jasoco

Banned
What does it look like? I use it for roads myself. It looks enough like pavement or, well, gravel, to make roads and walkways.

Top Bottom