• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

vas_a_morir said:
I'd like to make a modern city with tall sky-scrapers. May be too ambitious of a project for gaf.

Building sky-scarpers is fun. :D A modern city was the last community project on Exano's server, never fully finished mine. Here are the two I built (Moved them onto my single player save) :

ZLxy3.png

Nsbsa.png

w8M9A.png

WolfofMebu said:
Building sky-scarpers is fun. :D A modern city was the last community project on Exano's server, never fully finished mine. Here are the two I built (Moved them onto my single player save) :

ZLxy3.png

Nsbsa.png

w8M9A.png

Wait till you see mine. ;)

Ranger X

So where did you guys got that date for update 1.8 ??
Can we have the source?

That date is the release date of the version they will call "the final game". The adventure update should happen before that time. Notch said however that it will be the last big update before the release though.

Mik2121

Jarrod4321 said:
Aesthetically speaking, something like that would easily become the ugliest town in NeoCraft.

If we can keep it to grey (light, medium and dark), and black wools, iron, glass and a couple extra materials, then maybe. But that one is just ugly :(

Mik2121 said:
Aesthetically speaking, something like that would easily become the ugliest town in NeoCraft.

If we can keep it to grey (light, medium and dark), and black wools, iron, glass and a couple extra materials, then maybe. But that one is just ugly :(

Thanks. I posted more to highight the enormous scale than to have the colour style critiqued.

Mik2121

Jarrod4321 said:
I take it you made it, then?

I'm not saying it's horrible. It's quite a feat. but all the towns we've been making in NeoCraft, besides Spawn, have quite a nice visual theme that fits with the world. I think skyscrapers would look out of place in Minecraft (tall blocky towers surrounded by just grass and trees...), but maybe if we decide on a theme and try to make it visually appealing, it could be fine. Maybe make something similar to a big city skyline like New York's, or something...

Mik2121 said:
I take it you made it, then?

I'm not saying it's horrible. It's quite a feat. but all the towns we've been making in NeoCraft, besides Spawn, have quite a nice visual theme that fits with the world. I think skyscrapers would look out of place in Minecraft (tall blocky towers surrounded by just grass and trees...), but maybe if we decide on a theme and try to make it visually appealing, it could be fine. Maybe make something similar to a big city skyline like New York's, or something...

Yes of course it doesnt fit in to any of the existing places but i believe a new city area would work well.

Ranger X

A modern city would be awesome. Ark's and Mirk's fortress idea is also fucking nice.

However, I think Neocraft is epic in the mean that all those cool cities we have were all made legit by playing the vanilla game normally (ok safe Moria's cave, whatever). That's what makes it epic.

Jasoco

Banned
Jarrod4321 said:
Yes of course it doesnt fit in to any of the existing places but i believe a new city area would work well.
I know I'd gladly make my own skyscraper. Jasoco Tower or something.

As it has been several weeks since somebody used the small lots in Arkyo, I decided to restore the lots back to forests. It makes the city look a lot better. I'm satisfied with how it turned out, and it's a nice little town. I plan on making an isolated old-American West trading town in the desert somewhere next! uh-well-yeeeeeeee-hawwwwww!

Okay, so there has been talk about a bridge from Al-medina to Booty-Bay. It's a long way, and it would be a huge undertaking. I'd like to gauge GAF's interest in such a thing before committing to such a large project.

1. Do you want a bridge there?
2. Do you have a design in mind?
3. Would you help build it in some way?

1Xskw.jpg

I originally thought of having a bridge that was made of stone and wood... and then have a border complex that merges the styles of the two cities, and then have the rest of the way be made with sand-stone in place of cobble until it reaches the entrance of Al-Medina. That could either be great or hideous. Not as bad as my Al-Medina embassy, mind you, but still bad.

vas_a_morir said:
As it has been several weeks since somebody used the small lots in Arkyo, I decided to restore the lots back to forests. It makes the city look a lot better. I'm satisfied with how it turned out, and it's a nice little town. I plan on making an isolated old-American West trading town in the desert somewhere next! uh-well-yeeeeeeee-hawwwwww!

Okay, so there has been talk about a bridge from Al-medina to Booty-Bay. It's a long way, and it would be a huge undertaking. I'd like to gauge GAF's interest in such a thing before committing to such a large project.

1Xskw.jpg

I originally thought of having a bridge that was made of stone and wood... and then have a border complex that merges the styles of the two cities, and then have the rest of the way be made with sand-stone in place of cobble until it reaches the entrance of Al-Medina. That could either be great or hideous. Not as bad as my Al-Medina embassy, mind you, but still bad.

I've been working on an underground tunnel from BB to Al-Med for a while now but having had to move into my new house, I've only just got internet back now. I think I'm gonna make community entrances to tunnel on both sides if people would actually use it, otherwise I'll keep it as is and just finish it off. what we saying?

Ranger X said:
A modern city would be awesome. Ark's and Mirk's fortress idea is also fucking nice.

However, I think Neocraft is epic in the mean that all those cool cities we have were all made legit by playing the vanilla game normally (ok safe Moria's cave, whatever). That's what makes it epic.
Mine was all built by hand too.

rezuth

Ranger X said:
So where did you guys got that date for update 1.8 ??
Can we have the source?

That date is the release date of the version they will call "the final game". The adventure update should happen before that time. Notch said however that it will be the last big update before the release though.
Actually I just assumed it would be the last update but it is true it might come before. In any case he will showcase it at PAX August 26th so I don't think we will see it anytime soon.

Ark

vas_a_morir said:

1Xskw.jpg

I'm all for it so long as it isn't a boring bridge :) Suspension bridges ftw.

Ark said:
I'm all for it so long as it isn't a boring bridge :) Suspension bridges ftw.
I have a fairly large suspension bridge in my first world ever. It was such a pain because it was befre stacking fences and before crouching. I died many many times.

Grinchy

Banned
I guess I don't completely understand the point of the bridge. Are people actually going to use it? If I were in Bootybay and I wanted to get to Al-medina, I'd just /warp and be there. It seems like a lot of work to make something that people will probably never use.

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome and I'd be down to help if it gets started. I guess I'm just curious as to why we'd even want to build it.

Mik2121

Grinchy said:
I guess I don't completely understand the point of the bridge. Are people actually going to use it? If I were in Bootybay and I wanted to get to Al-medina, I'd just /warp and be there. It seems like a lot of work to make something that people will probably never use.

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome and I'd be down to help if it gets started. I guess I'm just curious as to why we'd even want to build it.
I spent a couple days making a road from Al-Medina all the way down to Arkyoto. A couple guys helped me, and mostly nobody uses the road, but it just looks nice and actually seems like a couple people made houses around the road. Making a house near a bridge might be tricky, but you never know!. And it would look so nice :p

Ranger X

Grinchy said:

It's not like anything transportation is useful. Nobody use the tunnet from Booty Bay to spawn yet it's cool just to know its there and I suppose people had fun making it. I think linking all of our cities is fun.

Jasoco

Banned
I was planning on building a bridge from the Tundra back to civilization myself. I got sidetracked though and started working on a tunnel, but I plan on switching back to bridge.

WolfofMebu said:
Here is the tree I built on spot's server nine:

http://i.imgur.com/KWn16.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That looks pretty cool. It would be awesome if you could make it even bigger so that you can go up inside it and such.

bengraven

WolfofMebu said:

My tower was right next to your's in the Modern City. :)

And when I blew my tower up in my single player save, I accidently destroyed your roof. :(

bengraven

Holy crap, finally checked out Arkyoto! 9 fingers house is dooope. The idea that everyone is using half bricks around beds to make sleeping mats is brilliant. My only problem is that the gardens are a bit too cramped and too vertical - I love a good Japanese garden, but would prefer it more flat...

I want to make a house there though.

bengraven said:
Holy crap, finally checked out Arkyoto! 9 fingers house is dooope. The idea that everyone is using half bricks around beds to make sleeping mats is brilliant. My only problem is that the gardens are a bit too cramped and too vertical - I love a good Japanese garden, but would prefer it more flat...

I want to make a house there though.

First you blow up my roof.. then you hate on my gardens.. =p

The area arkyoto was built on was rather hilly to start with, so I wanted to keep the natural terrain. That and I like waterfalls! :D

Here are some various pictures detailing my completed project on the server, you can reach it by using the warp "Mebu". It originally started out as a large terraforming project, creating a large desert area with large sand dunes and sandstone cliffs. While I was doing that I decided I wanted to build something that used chains and ended up with this:

0EFze.jpg

The area started out looking like this:

SA8Bn.jpg

and after I covered dirt with sand and stone with sandstone it ended up looking like this:

93bVD.png

Destroyed a lot of beach to gather the sand:

4Bl5c.png

Some more pictures:

kuAUM.jpg

70WJO.jpg

EkWmi.jpg

mcrae

Grinchy said:

the conflictingness of the bolded totally confuses me

Ranger X

Jarrod4321 said:
Ummmm.... Maybe? Lol

There you go. lol
While I like your constructions, you had mined diamonds and made a skyscraper out of them or with alot of them (I think there was a building like that in your video if I remember right?) then you would have seen me go "Holy fuck."

bengraven

Wolf, what are the litttle trees in the desert around the chained castle/tree supposed to be? I love them, they look awesome, but are very unique for a desert biome, so I was curious if it's just because they look cool or if it's a symbolism thing I'm not getting.

Takuya said:
Is that just for aesthetics or do those beams serve a purpose?

Not to speak for him, but since that tower is in my single player world - it's just a design.

We had a mod on the server that let you click signs to use as elevators and so he had an elevator system in the center, no ways of getting up.

For me, when I started using the world for sp, I had to InvEdit a lot of ladders to raid all my homie's buildings because of this. :p

Thunderchild42

Neo Member
I just finished my most recent project, a self seeding automatic harvest mushroom farm!

Below are redstone circuits which power the machine:

ymNg6h.png

Below is the harvesting area:

Z5hG9h.png

The circuits control a series of pistons that release water into a set of tunnels which harvests the mushrooms. I based this off of another similar device I saw online, so the original idea wasn't mine.

Free mushrooms for all!

Borman

IMG_0562.jpg

Unfortunately havent gotten the controls down yet in Splashtop HD, as it doesn't support all of the buttons on the PS3 controller, so the best I can do is move around. But, apart from some minor lag, it would be playable. Pretty smooth too. And to reiterate, PS3 controller hooked via USB to Iconia android tablet, Splashtop HD connected to my computer to play Minecraft. I know it could have been done for a while technically, but USB support is nice :)

blamite

So the first thing I've been working on on Neocraft has been recreating the wool tower I built on another server a while ago.

z6rjm.png

Right now I'm planning on going White Red Yellow Green Blue Black, with each floor 14x14x5. I think I worked this out to needing something like 2500 wool. >.> This is gonna take a while.

VsAbn.png

That said, huge thankt to whoever saw the tower and left me some wool!
and god! omg thx
You are awesome, and you basically provided 90% of the material on the second floor. You rule.

6FncH.png

I'm planning on building the walls up first, then filling in the whole floor on each level and filling each floor with objects matching the color. Tanks of lava on red, water and stuff on blue, nether portal on black, etc. Should be fun.

So what's up with this powered minecart bug? I just built a track connecting two of my builds and now I find out that the carts will go right through each other :(

Top Bottom