• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

mrklaw said:
Btw, how do you navigate when moving long distances? Eg finding your way back home, or if you find something cool miles away from the spawn point. Need a map or in game GPS thingy

Foot and boat!
In my game I am getting quite far from the spawnpoint. The more I explore, the more I build landmarks (simple towers) to spot where I went. If ever I die, I can follow the towers if I don't remember where I was at.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm such a pansy that my single player worlds were all just me rerolling until I got a spawn point in a cool area. I venture away from my fort, but anytime I die I'm right back home. I die often enough that this has worked out well for me haha

kennah

mrklaw said:
Or setup your own server?

Btw, how do you navigate when moving long distances? Eg finding your way back home, or if you find something cool miles away from the spawn point. Need a map or in game GPS thingy
Press F3. Look for x y z.

Ranger, I passed cartographer in cave mode through your seed. And you should change that name of Epic Cave 1 and 2 for Tiny Cave 1 and 2. There is a cave that is much bigger than the 2 caves combined.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I play logged in, connected to a LAN server, can one of my kids play in offline mode on another computer, also connected to the same LAN server?

Also, how resource intensive is the server? I basically have two choices
1) run the server AND client on my i5 2500 with 4GB and a beefy GPU. So maybe it's powerful enough to run both without too much impact..

2) run the server on my core2duo mac mini. Ideally I could leave that running 24/7 as long as it doesn't make the fans spin up when not being accessed.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Ranger, I passed cartographer in cave mode through your seed. And you should change that name of Epic Cave 1 and 2 for Tiny Cave 1 and 2. There is a cave that is much bigger than the 2 caves combined.

hahahaha nice!! Is there a "natural entrance" to that cave? If you have coordinates, I'd be curious. If I have to dig then I don't know...

While I was working on my villa last night 6 chickens spawned inside the courtyard, so I did what any reasonable person would do.. Fence them in and start raising my army!

The original 5:

a74zm.png

Things started to get a little crowded so it was time to expand:

iDM9D.png

My army grows:

ifCnU.png

Time for yet another expansion:

ejWaw.png

The final expansion to my chicken pit:

hGgoe.png

OyKpv.png

Shortly after that I began to fear for my life and decided it was best to stop. So I took down the fences and let them be free(They mostly just ran into the fireplace)

Did end up with 864 eggs though :D

Eccocid

Haha also Asscraft world getting some random volcanos in wilderness thanks to me!
tho i keep dying in process all the time :(

Toki1776

animlboogy said:
Today's render of the ASSCRAFT server.

It's only been a handful of days since the last one, and a lot of work got done!

Lots of bridge/minecart stuff added, a GIANT Minecraft man that looks amazing on the render, volcanoes... and just in general, everything's more developed and spread out than in the last one.

Great work, everybody! And if you aren't playing, join up! We're the second server in the third post in this thread.

Wow... That's some really nice work there! I'll have to stop by, see some of it up close.

Out of curiosity, what mapping program do you use?

Ranger X said:
hahahaha nice!! Is there a "natural entrance" to that cave? If you have coordinates, I'd be curious. If I have to dig then I don't know...

There is a hole in:
X: -305
Z: 209

I didn't explore too much, but the zone in there is full of caves and they seem to be all connected.

There is another big zone of caves, quite near of the spawn point, but I didn't see any natural entrance.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
If you guy's want a huge Ice World, try this seed: 8358766380038397031 and around X63.56, Y71.62, Z-99.62
Converted from my single player

World1_normal_north.jpg

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Is there any working noclip/flying type mod out there? I want to show off my first completed structure (one that isnt a simple house or modified cave) except that this thing is as high as you can go so its not like I can get a higher vantage point.

Eccocid

animlboogy said:

It's only been a handful of days since the last one, and a lot of work got done!

Lots of bridge/minecart stuff added, a GIANT Minecraft man that looks amazing on the render, volcanoes... and just in general, everything's more developed and spread out than in the last one.

Great work, everybody! And if you aren't playing, join up! We're the second server in the third post in this thread.

that map is already out of date !

we made our CAVE TOWN today in far away lands..tho it wouldn't show up on map renders!

Roche

Eccocid said:
that map is already out of date !

we made our CAVE TOWN today in far away lands..tho it wouldn't show up on map renders!

Cave town is so awesome, I got like 100 Iron and found 5 diamonds today. Super mega cave FTW.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
There is a hole in:
X: -305
Z: 209

I didn't explore too much, but the zone in there is full of caves and they seem to be all connected.

There is another big zone of caves, quite near of the spawn point, but I didn't see any natural entrance.

Ok I spotted the entrance. It's extremely near from where I am at with my exploring / continent belting. (I am just on the other side of that huuuge cliff towards water)

parasight

animlboogy said:

It's beautiful. I was bumming around with a friend late last night and was just amazed by it all. Thanks for the hospitality VAIL.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any tips about very basic server admin? I set a server up on my max mini last night, just so me and my kids can play around in the same world

But I'm just running the basic server (with more ram). How do i change the worlds, is there some way to have multiple worlds to choose from?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
pirata said:
I miss dwarf city, and the general impressiveness of the spawn city on that server in general. Maybe if we can get enough TNT together (perhaps by constructing some massive mob grinders to collect gunpowder) on the server we can make a project of building a new dwarf city.

I'm just going to warn you right up front. It took a metric shit ton of TNT to blow out that cavern. Something like 100,000 blocks of the stuff would not surprise me.

Tarin02543

mc is still crashing after 20min or so. I get a black screen and then the whole thing crashes down in flames

what to do?

Somax

Just took a stroll around both gaf survival server, since I just got activated and now I can see the addresses... Wonderful things everywhere, I was smiling the whole time.
After a while, java decided that something was wrong and disconnected me (from exano's server, I dc'd manually from asscraft).
Oh well, better luck next time, I guess.

Roche

For all you Asscraft people, I built a big farm next to my cave room and a tree farming room also check it out.

(Also I filled the food chest with bread :) )

I found a easy method to avoid getting lost while spelunking.

Restone torch + Regular torch. Put both in the floor, one tile of distance, in a way that they make an arrow, with restone torch pointing the exit.

DangerousDave said:

Restone torch + Regular torch. Put both in the floor, one tile of distance, in a way that they make an arrow, with restone torch pointing the exit.

Ooh good idea. Finally a use for all my redstone (I'm not too smart)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
My brother
(still waiting in the GAF activation queue :( )
made this, so I thought I'd share it here:

(Clicky for 1080p version)

DangerousDave said:

It's been stated many times before, but you can also just put all of your torches on one side of the cave. I put mine on the left, so if I want to get out I just keep my torches on my right and I surface without difficulty every time. It saves resources, and is the easiest method out there.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:

Good idea but I still prefer to put cobblestone walls before the already explored corridors. There's no mistake to it, X part is finished? you can't go there anymore! :)

Im_So_Pringles said:
It's been stated many times before, but you can also just put all of your torches on one side of the cave. I put mine on the left, so if I want to get out I just keep my torches on my right and I surface without difficulty every time. It saves resources, and is the easiest method out there.

Until you it caves that are way too much complex and huge for this method. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger X said:
Good idea but I still prefer to put cobblestone walls before the already explored corridors. There's no mistake to it, X part is finished? you can't go there anymore! :)

how do you decide when its 'done'? fully explored sure, but don't you bother having a little mine around down there? Or are the natural caves more for exploring, and mining is something you do in a more structured way closer to home.

Ranger X said:

Until you it caves that are way too much complex and huge for this method. :p

I know this may have been a playful statement, but that is when you place torches on the floor near the opposite wall that you don't put torches on. Still only place torches on the wall of the cave that you usually do :)

Ranger X

mrklaw said:
how do you decide when its 'done'? fully explored sure, but don't you bother having a little mine around down there? Or are the natural caves more for exploring, and mining is something you do in a more structured way closer to home.

Yes indeed there's multiple way to play. I don't like "mining for mining". My mining is done by exploring "natural caves" and extract everything visible. So yeah, a cave part/corridor is "done" in my case when there's nothing to extract that is left to see. (safe gravel and stone of course unless I absolutely need flints)

Im_So_Pringles said:
I know this may have been a playful statement, but that is when you place torches on the floor near the opposite wall that you don't put torches on. Still only place torches on the wall of the cave that you usually do :)

torches on the floor? I see. I didn't really think about that. But in my seed I have caves where I gave up going with torches only. Mutiple intersections of corridors, sometimes going in all direction, up, down, left, right, etc. Huge rooms with interconnections with other parts, etc. It was becoming an epic mess. That when I started blocking areas gradually with cobblestone as I explore. At the end, there's only one way out of the cave, I can't get lost.

Ranger X

animlboogy said:
Ranger, doesn't that mining method cut down on the amount of rarer materials you can collect?

Actually, I did try to mine systematically it doesn't give me minerals faster. Well, depends how much time you put in cave exploring and it also depends how your world is. In mine right now, I have mega huge caves that goes down to the bottom of the earth and can take multiple real life days of time to explore. You can bet I'm getting out of there with much minerals. ;)

Ranger X

Ok wow, now I don't understand what's going on.
I was exploring on boat like 10 mins ago and then I encounter a portal to the Nether. The problem is, I never built that. WTF?

Portalneverbuilt.png

what gives??

Grinchy

Banned
I have a random portal not far from my spawn point ever since I built one in my fort. It's a really nice way of getting back home before the night hits.

I thought this was normal? Maybe not. I don't stay very current on the game I just play the crap out of it here and there.

Blizzard

Banned
Ranger X said:
Ok wow, now I don't understand what's going on.
I was exploring on boat like 10 mins ago and then I encounter a portal to the Nether. The problem is, I never built that. WTF?

what gives??
Have you built any nether gates? As far as I know, ever since the nether has existed, it's been bugged such that if you built portals other portals get randomly placed in other places. It might even be a way to get infinite obsidian. Maybe Notch never fixed it. :/

Ranger X

Yes I did build one before. So there's a bug...
I hope that when you come back from the Nether the game doesn't send you to the random portals! lol

OldmanAndroid said:
please share that seed! that looks awesome

To quote myself...

So, for the explorators out there. You want to explore epic caves?
I have found 2 huge caves so far in my world. So big that you can spend multiple real life days to explore them completely. They all go to the bottom of the earth and there's a fair amount of all the game's materials in there. I also got multiple slimes in each caves.

Here the seed of my world: 3830599884698071860

And the coordinates for the caves:

Epic Cave 01
X = -42.30559
Y = 73.62000
Z = 226.85987

Epic Cave 02
X = -9.43516
Y = 70.62000
Z = 539.47574

Yeah, spelunking is fun for the sake of exploring. The materials is only a bonus.

I tried the left-wall-torch thing, but I always forgot. When I'm in the dark I don't care too much about left-walls :p

I closed some caves with cobblestone, but that set of caves is so huge and so communicated that is difficult to consider any path "done".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
started a multiplayer server on my mac mini, and played with the kids (9 and 6) for the first time yesterday. Lot of fun, but they were moaning about the monsters being scary, and also accidentally killing each other. I've turned PvP off but left the monsters on. We've finally got our main area fairly safe.

Occasionally we'll get the odd monster in our area even though its walled off. Any tips of making our compound secure? Its well lit and we sleep there so I don't think they are spawning in the area, they must be getting over the walls somehow. The walls are all 2 blocks high which should be enough - does the ground outside need to be a certain distance away to stop them jumping?

and any tips on dealing with creeps that hang around the doors? can't get out some mornings

Grinchy said:
I have a random portal not far from my spawn point ever since I built one in my fort. It's a really nice way of getting back home before the night hits.

I thought this was normal? Maybe not. I don't stay very current on the game I just play the crap out of it here and there.

Same. Chalk it up to Herobrine being in a good mood.

Zaphod

mrklaw said:
started a multiplayer server on my mac mini, and played with the kids (9 and 6) for the first time yesterday. Lot of fun, but they were moaning about the monsters being scary, and also accidentally killing each other. I've turned PvP off but left the monsters on. We've finally got our main area fairly safe.

Occasionally we'll get the odd monster in our area even though its walled off. Any tips of making our compound secure? Its well lit and we sleep there so I don't think they are spawning in the area, they must be getting over the walls somehow. The walls are all 2 blocks high which should be enough - does the ground outside need to be a certain distance away to stop them jumping?

and any tips on dealing with creeps that hang around the doors? can't get out some mornings

Are there any hills nearby? Sometimes they fall in. Trees are another good source of monsters.

Moats with flowing water can help keep monsters away from the door. Making a place to snipe on monsters near a door is helpful too. I usually make my walls 3 or higher just in case.

On my server we have made a 64 diameter circular wall that has buildings inside but no monsters. We learned about trees the hard way. We also learned that skeletons can climb ladders.

Rapstah

mrklaw said:

Make the walls three blocks high with a lip on the top to prevent climbing spiders. If other mobs were getting inside your area I don't know though, tall trees nearby?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
mrklaw said:

Been a while since I played but make a hole in the bottom of the wall, 1 block in size only. That way you can attack them when they stand in front of it and they can't attack you, and skeletons can't shoot arrows at you. You are basically attacking their feet:p

What I used to do is dig a three blocks deep trench all around my compound, two blocks wide. So all the monsters outside just end up falling in it. Then I either attack them from inside with those holes I mentioned, or I go out and attack them from above during day time, and collect all the loot:) I'm guessing filling it with water would kill them automatically.

Top Bottom