• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Just so you know, even though I discussed the idea of a bridge, I abandoned the project before planning even began.

I think it's far too boring and long of a distance to get significant participation from the community, but if somebody out there WANTS to build it with their own free time, they should be allowed to do so, so as long as they discuss the design idea here on the forum before proceeding. for all you know, this might turn out to be a masterpiece... but the scale of it may make it seem obscene given the modesty of the two cities.

Just my two cents.

I'm always really upset whenever I get thinking about the FiniteWater mod because Notch had said multiple times that he has no intention to add anything like it.

It's too bad because I've always had this idea. Make ocean water like it is now, where it's basically infinite, but make lakes have this FiniteLiquid water. But to make the distinction less arbitrary, the infinite, ocean water will be called "Salt water" and the finite, lake water is "Fresh Water."

You cannot drink salt water or use it in most water recipes. However, you can smelt a bucket of salt water to get a bucket of fresh water and some salt.

Salt could have cool uses like salt licks for horses and salting dirt so it won't ever grow into grass, which could be used to make dirt trails, something I've always wanted.

Thanks guys, I'm just glad my random idea turned out decent. lol

Takuya said:
Is that just for aesthetics or do those beams serve a purpose?

The beams across the outside? Kinda both, liked the look they gave it and I also centered the floors where they crossed as if they were supports.

bengraven said:
Wolf, what are the litttle trees in the desert around the chained castle/tree supposed to be? I love them, they look awesome, but are very unique for a desert biome, so I was curious if it's just because they look cool or if it's a symbolism thing I'm not getting.

More or less to give it a look as if it hadn't always been a desert area, but at one time had large trees similar to the one chained in the sky. That and they do look cool :D

Exano

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm gathering interest for a new server.

Me and a few buddies are going to make a creative/survival server (No creepers basically)

The server is going to be called Project Manhatten, and we're going to go for a recreation of Manhatten island in New York City, New York.

Anybody interested? Mats will be free :D I'll also probably throw WorldEdit on there, just for good measure.

Articalys

Exano said:

Me and a few buddies are going to make a creative/survival server (No creepers basically)

The server is going to be called Project Manhatten, and we're going to go for a recreation of Manhatten island in New York City, New York.

Anybody interested? Mats will be free :D I'll also probably throw WorldEdit on there, just for good measure.
Please tell me there will be a minecart approximation of the NYC Subway.

KillerAJD

Exano said:

I'm up for it! Dealing with mobs and mining mats eventually wore me out of MC for awhile, so this could get me back into it.

bengraven

Exano said:

Free mats and no creepers? Will there still be exploration or is it more creative?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
ZZMitch said:
I thought Notch said it was going to come out soon after the PAX thing, so late August.
He said "after PAX", not "soon after PAX".

He'll probably gather feedback from the event and fix stuff first, instead of releasing the patch immediately after PAX. I doubt we'll see 1.8 before late September.

ZZMitch

Brazil said:
He said "after PAX", not "soon after PAX".

He'll probably gather feedback from the event and fix stuff, instead of releasing the patch immediately after PAX. I doubt we'll see 1.8 before late September.

Yeah, you are probably right.

Mojang will be at PAX. We'll have the first playable version of the Adventure Update there, and it will be released to the public once we've adressed the feedback we get at PAX.

That is the quote I was referring to but I had it a bit off.

Ark

Mik2121 said:
I don't think I'd be able to learn much grammar from a dictionary :p

(plus, English isn't my native language, jerk)

Well that was uncalled for.

vas_a_morir said:
The new update is like months away. November, I heard.

August/September time is their planned window I believe.

Ranger X

vas_a_morir said:
The new update is like months away. November, I heard.

There is confusion on the internet right now.
Notch announced the release of the game itself, the "final" version for November. The update 1.8 will happen before that time. We don't know when, Notch never ever hinted at anything exept that it will obviously happen before the release. He also said it will be the last significant update before the release. This doesn't indicate if it's near November or not. Since it will be playable at PAX anyways, I'd call for a late August early September.

EDIT: /beaten multiple times --- damned me for not finishing to read the page! :p

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
Ark, I need you to do me a favor at some point. My aquarium needs to be filled and I asked Mirk to help out, and lets just say there was an apocalypse of Epic proportions. It was fun to watch, but Mirk was able to fix pretty much everything, but we need your expertise to fill the tank though. Thanks man.

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
jediyoshi said:
C7laP.jpg

D:

On a more serious note, just think of the reach around this guy could give you!

mcrae

there are guides to creating current-less water available on youtube and such, it just requires a lot of time/patience... like everything else in this game lol

Jasoco

Banned
You mean infinite springs? Easy. Start by placing two buckets of water diagonally to each other. Then expand out. As you get further and further from the start you can place them further apart and they'll flow together and straighten themselves out.

No time and patience needed.

mcrae

no.. i mean filling up a 14x15x16 space full of water, but the water has no direction/current to it. you jump in anwhere and can sink to the bottom without being pushed in a direction. you can swim to the top easily too, opposed to how hard it is to swim to the top in a waterfall, for example. i assumed it was the current that was the problem, not the actual filling of the aquarium, if it is the filling then just make a bunch of waterfalls at the top level.... dont accidentally jump in, though! :)

TheBez

I downloaded voxel sniper but it requires a chat box to use which I can't access in single player. Are there any good mods that just let me chat? I downloaded single player commands but that interferes with the Voxel Sniper input commands.

Segnit

Banned
mcrae said:
no.. i mean filling up a 14x15x16 space full of water, but the water has no direction/current to it. you jump in anwhere and can sink to the bottom without being pushed in a direction. you can swim to the top easily too, opposed to how hard it is to swim to the top in a waterfall, for example. i assumed it was the current that was the problem, not the actual filling of the aquarium, if it is the filling then just make a bunch of waterfalls at the top level.... dont accidentally jump in, though! :)

That's actually easy.

Code:
y     y  <------ Pool A (MUST BE ONLY 1 Block deep)
xxxxxxx
y     y
y     y
y     y
y     y
y     y <------ Pool B (Can be as deep as you like but has to be as wide as 'Pool A'
y     y
y     y
xxxxxxx

Note: Horizontal is the X axis and the vertical is the Y axis

Imagine that the ascii figure represents two swimming pools that are stacked on top of eachother when looked at from the side.

First you need to dig a swimming pool one block deep like 'Pool A' above. Don't worry about water at this stage as you want everything to be dry. Then you'll have to dig a secondary pool exactly underneath the first pool. On the Y axis 'Pool B' can be as deep as you like but on the X axis it must only be as wide as the top 'Pool A'.

Next up is adding water. Go to the top pool - 'Pool A' - and starting filling it with water diagonally until the entire pool is completely filled. Once you've established that the top pool is completely filled and there is no moving currents on there, you can now start tearing down the floor of 'Pool A' and presto. You have your massive aquarium.

Code:
y     y <------ [B]a)[/B] Once Pool A is filled with water...
xxxxxxx <------ [B]b)[/B] Start tearing down this wall.
y     y
y     y
y     y
y     y
y     y <------ [B]c)[/B] You should now have a deep aquarium with no moving water.
y     y
y     y
xxxxxxx

BTW, hello everyone. I've been lurking in the Minrecraft server ever since my GAF account was activated a few weeks ago however I've been following Ark's server since it was in the planning stages and I am so thrilled that to finally be able to join and see it all for myself.

Ark

Thunderchild42 said:
FYI, to whoever can fix it. During the last server reset creeper damage was enabled. Shit be blowin' up eve'where.

Are you serious? ...

EDIT: Ok, should be fixed now.

EDITEDIT: Nope, it's broken again. Ffs, time to complain.

BaDJuJu said:
Ark, I need you to do me a favor at some point. My aquarium needs to be filled and I asked Mirk to help out, and lets just say there was an apocalypse of Epic proportions. It was fun to watch, but Mirk was able to fix pretty much everything, but we need your expertise to fill the tank though. Thanks man.

I'll hop on next time I see you on :)

Grinchy

Banned
I can see how it's very important for us not to have block dmg on from creepers, but in the mean time I'm going to enjoy it. I love using creepers to level out land. I just hate when they take out my doors and redstone wiring lol.

Ark

vas_a_morir said:
I'm afraid to survey the damage.

I made the mistake of testing it before at the wheat harvester house, needless to say it didn't go well.

Don't worry though, I fixed the damage :p

mcrae

Segnit said:
That's actually easy.

Code:
y     y  <------ Pool A (MUST BE ONLY 1 Block deep)
xxxxxxx
y     y
y     y
y     y
y     y
y     y <------ Pool B (Can be as deep as you like but has to be as wide as 'Pool A'
y     y
y     y
xxxxxxx

Note: Horizontal is the X axis and the vertical is the Y axis

Imagine that the ascii figure represents two swimming pools that are stacked on top of eachother when looked at from the side.

First you need to dig a swimming pool one block deep like 'Pool A' above. Don't worry about water at this stage as you want everything to be dry. Then you'll have to dig a secondary pool exactly underneath the first pool. On the Y axis 'Pool B' can be as deep as you like but on the X axis it must only be as wide as the top 'Pool A'.

Next up is adding water. Go to the top pool - 'Pool A' - and starting filling it with water diagonally until the entire pool is completely filled. Once you've established that the top pool is completely filled and there is no moving currents on there, you can now start tearing down the floor of 'Pool A' and presto. You have your massive aquarium.

Code:
y     y <------ [B]a)[/B] Once Pool A is filled with water...
xxxxxxx <------ [B]b)[/B] Start tearing down this wall.
y     y
y     y
y     y
y     y
y     y <------ [B]c)[/B] You should now have a deep aquarium with no moving water.
y     y
y     y
xxxxxxx

BTW, hello everyone. I've been lurking in the Minrecraft server ever since my GAF account was activated a few weeks ago however I've been following Ark's server since it was in the planning stages and I am so thrilled that to finally be able to join and see it all for myself.

thats what i was referring to as filling it up with waterfalls. they still have downward current, so once you get in it is harder to get out than a truely currentless water

mcrae said:
thats what i was referring to as filling it up with waterfalls. they still have downward current, so once you get in it is harder to get out than a truely currentless water
Yeah, im building a huge, currentless most on my server. Takes a lot of time, patience, and pumpkins for light.

Grinchy

Banned
Looks like minecraft.net is down. At least it is for me, so that could be what happened to the server.

*edit: and nvm, right after posting i tried again and it went through

Top Bottom