• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Jasoco

Banned
I guess we'd have to see the mushrooms in context, but unless they are spotted and have more than one color on top, and give you at least 3 different kinds of new blocks...

I dunno. I'd have to see it in action. Are there any pictures of them from further away? Because an upskirt shot doesn't show much about their shape.

I wonder if they'll give you mushrooms you can plant that will grow like trees too.

There's like 2 weeks until PAX. So I guess all will be revealed soon enough.

Glasswork

5Lg5W.jpg

Notch tweeted this way back I think, it the new giant mushrooms form afar

Jasoco

Banned
Well.. let's critique this picture, shall we?

1) Why use regular blocks for roofs? Use stairs, guys! Also, don't just use wood stairs, use a new type of stair. A shingle stair block would be nice. Something other than wood or cobblestone. Stairs are so boring now. We need more types.

2) That flat one is ugly. The red one could be good if it were 2 high instead of 3. The flat one could use a second smaller layer to give it more of a rounded shape.

3) Can't wait to build with the new mushroom cap blocks and stalk blocks.

4) Nice to see mossy cobblestone used more. Now just let us reclaim glass and we'll be happy.

5) Also create an algorithm to make paths between each house. And smooth the paths with half-blocks. Make a half-block version of Gravel, or use CobbleStone Half-Blocks. (I prefer Gravel for roads since Cobble blends with the wall blocks.

6) Why aren't the houses using the new brick stone block that dungeon had in the other screenshot. Is this one from before that? The houses would look so much better with bricks instead of cobble.

7) Seriously. Use stairs for roofs!

Since there's no grass all over I guess this is an old shot. Hopefully stuff has changed a lot since then.

r1chard

I've looked at that screenshot a bunch of times but I just noticed the valley off in the distance:

l0kU8.png

Valleys (well, cliffs) in the current chunk generator are squared off to the grid. That one is clearly not.

I amend what I previously wrote: the 1.8 release will be interesting because it increases the chunk height and because default chunk generation will apparently be way more interesting (based on the above and the other hints Notch has made to other types of terrain it'll generate)

Qwomo

The world height won't be increased, Notch is just going to make it easier for mods to increase the world height. The default will remain the same.

r1chard

Qwomo said:
The world height won't be increased, Notch is just going to make it easier for mods to increase the world height. The default will remain the same.
He's released a screenshot of a much higher mountain. Are you sure the default game won't take advantage of the new heights?

Well, regardless, my point about 1.8's main benefit being him improving the Minecraft engine remains.

Qwomo

r1chard said:
He's released a screenshot of a much higher mountain. Are you sure the default game won't take advantage of the new heights?
Yep yep, I think that screenshot was just him testing it. He went on to clarify that the height wouldn't be different in the vanilla game.

r1chard said:
I've looked at that screenshot a bunch of times but I just noticed the valley off in the distance:

l0kU8.png

Valleys (well, cliffs) in the current chunk generator are squared off to the grid. That one is clearly not.

I amend what I previously wrote: the 1.8 release will be interesting because it increases the chunk height and because default chunk generation will apparently be way more interesting (based on the above and the other hints Notch has made to other types of terrain it'll generate)
He posted in his G+ page about making tall, narrow ravines. They're typically underground, but can appear above ground as canyons. That's probably what that is.

Jasoco

Banned
I hope the canyons will have rivers at the bottom, and will be tall, but not too tall so they don't leave any building room above them.

Drazgul

Qwomo said:
Yep yep, I think that screenshot was just him testing it. He went on to clarify that the height wouldn't be different in the vanilla game.

Plus he did mention that the default world gen didn't really work all that well with the increased height limit. Hopefully it'll be fixed in 1.8, but it might just be left for modders to sort out.

UbNTs.jpg

Castle exterior done, except I need a mod with a compass to fly to the roof and remove the little dirt ladder I made for me! lol The exterior is huge... and I don't have a good idea of what to do just yet. I eventually will make a road coming down the valley to the lake that will connect to the current Al-Kyou Road.

Anyway, the valley behind Arkyoto is finally being developed. I encourage all the newcomers to join up.

Souplak

Qwomo said:
Neat, I like the idea of a netherstone castle, I should try that sometime.

Netherrack is really easy to mine, but watch out for creepers they take out huge chuncks. I built this back in Febuary and used a boosted railway (it used that 2 cart boost system) to get to it since its really far from spawn. After I took those pictures I went inside to the throneroom, for some reason a creeper had spawned in there. It killed me and destoryed 3 floors in the process. It took forever to run back...

Gaaraz

Hi GAF, just got the trial as part of the indy humble bundle - which GAF server is the best to join? :) Thanks

Gonna look for some custom textures now too...

Grinchy

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
Castle exterior done, except I need a mod with a compass to fly to the roof and remove the little dirt ladder I made for me! lol The exterior is huge... and I don't have a good idea of what to do just yet. I eventually will make a road coming down the valley to the lake that will connect to the current Al-Kyou Road.

Anyway, the valley behind Arkyoto is finally being developed. I encourage all the newcomers to join up.
Nice job, man! I meant to get back online last night to work with you some more but things came up.

MJLord and Gaaraz, just go to the first page. There is a section about servers. Quote that post. You'll get the IP for the GAF server that way. (neocraft)

Well, my Saria's Song video is nearing 20k views on the YouTubes. I think as celebration, I'll finally upload the map file, which has been my #1 request and question asked.

I downloaded MCedit and attempted to cut the song out of the map... And then I realized I have no frikken clue how to use this program.

Any tips for a n00b? Or a better program recommendation? I just want to cut the song out of the map and make it it's own map, if that makes sense.

commissar

ArtistDude88 said:
Well, my Saria's Song video is nearing 20k views on the YouTubes. I think as celebration, I'll finally upload the map file, which has been my #1 request and question asked.

I downloaded MCedit and attempted to cut the song out of the map... And then I realized I have no frikken clue how to use this program.

Any tips for a n00b? Or a better program recommendation? I just want to cut the song out of the map and make it it's own map, if that makes sense.
you forgot to link it to help hit that 20k :V

Thunderchild42

Neo Member
ADVENTURERS!!!! Ive finished my latest project, the Temple of Trials!

ssq4X.jpg

The temple took about 1 week to complete from start to finish. Its composed of about 30 Thousand Sandstone blocks. Over 4 Thousand redstone dusts went into the mechanics inside the building. There are 6 diabolical traps to test those who dare enter.

Also, prizes are awarded those those who complete the trials, including diamond tools.....

Check out the "Trials" warp to begin your adventure! And have fun!

PS: There is a locker room outside the temple to store your valuables, as some of the traps will destroy the items you drop.

Insaniac

Not on Neocraft but on my group of friend's private server, but I'm really proud of my mountain top cabin :)

Back View
fD1DT.jpg

Front Entrance
vZGz6.jpg

Inside
VWVLO.jpg

kennah

ArtistDude88 said:

Your Saria's Song is a frequent earworm in my household :p

Do dee doo do dee doo do de do de do do do de do do doooo do do de doooo

commissar

Thunderchild42 said:
ADVENTURERS!!!! Ive finished my latest project, the Temple of Trials!

http://i.imgur.com/ssq4X.jpg[IMG]

The temple took about 1 week to complete from start to finish. Its composed of about 30 Thousand Sandstone blocks. Over 4 Thousand redstone dusts went into the mechanics inside the building. There are 6 diabolical traps to test those who dare enter.

Also, prizes are awarded those those who complete the trials, including diamond tools.....

Check out the "Trials" warp to begin your adventure! And have fun!

PS: There is a locker room outside the temple to store your valuables, as some of the traps will destroy the items you drop.[/QUOTE]

In all honesty this is the most impressive thing I've seen in Minecraft to date.

Lot of things are massive undertakings of scale, but very very few add [I]gameplay[/I].

The only other creation to come close to this was the trick jump challenge on the old GAF server (sorry I forgot who made that :[ )

Blizzard

Banned
commissar said:
In all honesty this is the most impressive thing I've seen in Minecraft to date.

Lot of things are massive undertakings of scale, but very very few add gameplay.

The only other creation to come close to this was the trick jump challenge on the old GAF server (sorry I forgot who made that :[ )
I think it may have been PillowKnight. *shakes fist at horrible construction of ladders and blocks that he would CHANGE ON THE FLY when I discovered unintended routes* :mad:

pirata

ArtistDude88 said:
Yeah, that was PillowKnight and his crazy meat grinder shaped gauntlet of frustration and death.

Oh, God, I remember that. It became practically impossible once the clouds rolled in.

Blizzard

Banned
pirata said:
Oh, God, I remember that. It became practically impossible once the clouds rolled in.
Ugh, I had forgotten the clouds. At least he added some lights in dark corners, but the clouds were terrifying. You'd sit there perched up on a girder waiting for them to go away so you could figure out the next spot to go.

Insaniac said:
Not on Neocraft but on my group of friend's private server, but I'm really proud of my mountain top cabin :)

Back View
http://i.imgur.com/fD1DT.jpg[IMG]

Front Entrance
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vZGz6.jpg[IMG]

Inside
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VWVLO.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That cabin is amazing. Good job :]

celebi23

I had an idea for a project for NeoCraft: The NeoCraft Public Library. Maybe build it out of stone & it could have multiple floors. Maybe model it after the New York Public Library? Haven't though out many of the details, just had the idea.

Thunderchild42

Neo Member
commissar said:

Lot of things are massive undertakings of scale, but very very few add gameplay.

Thank you! Please let me know if you or anyone else has any issues with the traps. Redstone can get really iffy when people die and leave a chunk unoccupied mid activation. Id like to weed out any issues if they occur.

Top Bottom