• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Gvaz

Banned
There's....there's going to be an xbox version?
emot-psypop.gif

The 360 version will most likely look identical to default Minecraft, and probably wont have the texture pack support.

New Enderman picture. Also, wearing a pumpkin will protect you from their gaze.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
mcrae said:
im curious as to what your computer specs are now
AMD Ahtlon II X3 435
AMD Radeon HD 5770
4GB G.Skill DDR3
1TB WD Caviar Black
Asus M4A77TD
Asus Xonar DS

There they are. Runs well (enough). I wouldn't say it runs appropriately to what's on screen though (and OpenGL does do occlusion, so...).

But an AMD E-350 should also run it perfectly at a netbook resolution, considering they can run more taxing games at 30-45.

Java. What can you do.

Edit: I'm really hoping we can get more news on the XBox version though. It'd be nice if it launched with some great single-player features like Terraria.

Drazgul

callmedave said:
Also, wearing a pumpkin will protect you from their gaze.

Pity. Minecraft is never as thrilling as the first few nights of a new world - if anything, Mojang ought to try and bring at least some level of that same suspense to players with established worlds.

Good thing there's always Mo' Creatures - nothing makes you shit your pants like a massive ogre that comes trashing at you through your wall after you thought you're safe. :p

Lyphen said:
Finally gave it a shot with the Humble deal. Game doesn't perform very well. All I really got out of this is a very strong hope that the Xbox version will be worth it, done by good coders and artists (some of the mods have very nice style - default is ehhh), and ones wise enough not to use Java!

Try running it fullscreen instead of windowed if you aren't already. I played Minecraft for ages, and mine ran like shit in windowed mode but fine in fullscreen.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Barberetti said:
Try running it fullscreen instead of windowed if you aren't already. I played Minecraft for ages, and mine ran like shit in windowed mode but fine in fullscreen.
I'll have to give it a shot, it certainly should be running better!

Ranger X

vas_a_morir said:
Okay guys.

Arkyo is finally growing and I'm really happy with the progress. However, we have one little problem:

PAGODAS! We have 3 of them... and quite frankly, 8 story buildings do not fit the theme nor the rules for the city.

After talking about it with everyone on the server, I decided to make a suggestion: Can you reduce the size of these buildings to two-stories? I don't want to be a dictator, and I won't go ahead and tear down the building and steal the materials like *some* suggested. lol

But, Central Arkyoto city is a bunch of small, intricate, and tasteful buildings. having a giant Hollow Christmas tree in the middle... is kind of the exact opposite of what the city is supposed to represent. When I look at the city, all I see are 3 big Pagodas that obstruct the view of the city and dominate the skyline. It looks like Kathmandu.

So, I'd like to talk to Jakershaker and Luffyzero about maybe reducing the size of their buildings to two stories. If I don't hear back in a week... Well, I can't guarantee those building's safety. ;)

From now on, there is a two story limit on buildings unless discussed on the thread.

There's what, 2 tall buildings that stand out in central Arkyoto? I think the whole city looks awesome. I wouldn't want to touch anything. It's stunning to look at the city and those building on the cliffs.

Ranger X

Lyphen said:
I'll have to give it a shot, it certainly should be running better!

I know the other poster mentionned F11 to get to fullscreen but I must add that you shouldn't use the fullscreen by any other means. If you blow up the window with the window icon on top right, the game WILL run like shit. If you use F11 instead, it will run like a charm. On my PC it's as drastic as passing from 35 fps to 190 fps.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
So I just started a new world today. Probably spent a good hour tops on Beta until today. Anticipating this Adventure update that's coming, and just the final release. While I do like to craft out things, I think I enjoyed ruffing the randomly generated land and seeing what's out there more.

Also my friends showed me some cool mods that are out now. Some interesting things out there.

Finally got around to finishing the structure of the roller coaster I started on Exano's server (moved it to my single player save). Had completed about 90% of it BEFORE you could stack fences D:

mLIAb.png

q5SIe.jpg

YSnID.jpg

bengraven

Like I said a while ago, there are ups and downs. Things were huge, then things slowed the last few weeks, now things are exploding bigger than ever.

Imagine what will happen when 1.8 hits. Overload.

Valygar

I've visited Neocraft server, very nice all the work done there. I've been in a couple of servers and they had a lot of crazy things but nothing so integrated with the surroundings. Those big themed cities are awesome.

I'm probably going to build / live in Arkyoto, are the "commoner houses" free for grabs or should I build my own?

I'm also trying some texture packs. Derivation and Doku are the best ones so far.

Orlandu84

I went to Neocraft for the first time yesterday, and I all that I have to say is, "Wow!" You all are an inspiration. Literally. Your designs have already changed the way that I build in minecraft. Currently, I am working on a castle that will sit on an island just outside of Arkyoto. Also, my Minecraft handle is Agam_Bellum. See you all in the server later today.

Ranger X

Orlandu84 said:
I went to Neocraft for the first time yesterday, and I all that I have to say is, "Wow!" You all are an inspiration. Literally. Your designs have already changed the way that I build in minecraft. Currently, I am working on a castle that will sit on an island just outside of Arkyoto. Also, my Minecraft handle is Agam_Bellum. See you all in the server later today.

You're lucky to have that island. One day later and I would have taken it. ;)

Ark

Orlandu84 said:

My bridge was supposed to go over that island, looks like it wont be anymore :p

bengraven

I was thinking about the things I wanted from Minecraft before or soon after it's officially released.

I don't ask for much, for example I'll leave out most server/mod ideas because I'm the last guy you want to ask about that kind of thing. I'm just talking about things that will make the experience cooler for me.

GENERAL GAMEPLAY

- fences should slope on hills, like rail tracks do now.
- make the powered minecart useful again. I want to be deep down underground and send up some gear.
- ways of travel - horses, gokarts, balloons, etc. It's a massive world, we need a better way than walking and minecarts.
- treasure chests under ground...fairly near the surface. Maybe compasses send out pings like in Far Cry 2/Just Cause 2 to tell you you're close to one.
- more things to find underground: more gems, fossils, treasure
- fun effects - maybe with new those gems - socket a chest to make you explosion-proof, socket boots to make you run 2x faster, socket a helmet to see through a few blocks or breath underwater.
- speaking of underwater, steal the reed from Terraria...made out of reeds of course. Just like three reeds on top of each other and you can go 3 blocks underwater without breathing.

STYLE:

- furniture! Notch said he didn't want to add that kind of thing, but he gave us beds and paintings, so he KNOWS we want to actually do something with the interiors of these huge castles. Do functionality later, give us the stuff now.
- gear that can't be destroyed - I can't believe I'm saying this, but taking a cue from TF2 and giving us some T-shirts and hats would be kind of cool...but if they're free and found in treasure chests...or very very cheap. Finding a rare Creeper T-shirt would be awesome, especially if we could trade with another player...

MULTI:

- trade blocks? Click box and you get a trade interface like in an MMO
- mailbox blocks for multiplayer servers. Do it like an MMO where I can send mats and write letters
- better chat UI...smaller fonts possible, "whisper windows" like in WoW

MOBS:

- a few small, ambient creatures: tiny fish in the sea, tiny birds on the surface, and tiny spiders crawling around underground would be enough
- daytime is for peaceful, "real" creatures; exception being the creeper
- more "traditional" enemies, with a few more "innovative" ones. So like goblins and giant rats on the traditional side and more Endermen/creeper like critters on the innovative.
- biome specific peaceful animals - just two or three new ones for each area: walruses (drop ivory) and penguins, jackals and snakes in desert.
- bosses
- enemy camps - they said villages would be in, but i'd also like a couple tents and a fire somewhere in the middle of nowhere. maybe a chest you can loot when you kill the three enemies

bengraven

Ark said:
Those are all perfectly legitimate and awesome ideas imo.

I was playing Legos with my kid and thinking of how I would improve MC. haha

in my opinion, adding the majority of these would make Survival mode complete in my opinion.

Ark

bengraven said:
I was playing Legos with my kid and thinking of how I would improve MC. haha

in my opinion, adding the majority of these would make Survival mode complete in my opinion.

All I really want are more mobs, more blocks, more treasures & hot air balloons!

Jasoco

Banned
I want to be able to create worlds with the Biomes scaled up quite a bit. Right now they're way too close together. You end up with small deserts next to wintery areas and forests with small little lakes that can't barely be called "oceans". Scale the biome algorithm up. If I want a desert, I want it to go on for miles. And make biomes more logically placed next to each other.

And a mode where I can check a box and turn off certain biomes or adjust their frequency. So I can have a huge rolling hilly grassland.

I want to spawn in the desert on my first day and have to walk for a while to even find grass. Though I guess that would cause a problem when you can't build a workbench because of no wood. Though, deserts do have trees. Dead ones. So make some dead trees that look like normal giant trees without leaves. Problem solved. Your first night would consist of building a desert shelter to shield yourself from the heat and enemies.

The desert should have more desert specific animals. Both hostile and not. Snakes and other desert creatures during the day. Something that gives food of course.

Basically I just want biomes to be big enough to be useful. And oceans to be wide enough to be called oceans. And once biomes are stretched out enough, put mountains away from the oceans enough then create springs at the top with actual carved rivers that lead to the ocean.

I wish I could run a Minecraft Terraforming application that was as easy to use as Sim City 4's city landscape creator is. With tools to carve out the rough shape, and draw where I want mountains, rivers, oceans, deserts, snow, then let the game generate the world for me. Adding all the caves and random pools of stuff later. And when I reach the edge of my created world, just smooth it out and return to random procedurally generated parts.

And with higher ceilings, I want the worlds to generate more realistically. Instead of everything based at sea level with the occasional hill or mountain, have the land gradually rise up as it got further from water. So it creates actual valleys and hills.

More realistic looking world environments is really what I'm asking for. Or at least scaled up Biome generation. That would be much easier really. Probably the addition of a "* scale" to the generation al-gore-ithm. The rest however would require a totally new world generator. I'd settle for just a third party app with an easy to use interface that worked like Sim City 4.

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
They should have a false god in the game that when angered can destroy, drown and strike down unsuspecting miscreants. FUCK we already have that, Ark.

Anyone know what the best way is to go about contacting Mojang regarding a technical problem? I've emailed them at support@mojang.com twice over the last few weeks, and all I've had back are automated replies telling me that my request has been received, and is being reviewed by their support staff. The support section on their website is of no help to me.

For anyone curious, the problem is simply that I moved house a few weeks ago and consequently have a new IP address. Because my IP address has changed, I now get this message pop up after a few minutes of play:

Minecraft Beta 1.7.3 Unlicenced Copy :C
(Or logged in from another location)
Purchase at minecraft.net

Obviously I'm logged in from another location. I know there are certain ways of removing this message, but I'd rather get this resolved all legal like if at all possible.

bengraven

Jasoco said:
I want to be able to create worlds with the Biomes scaled up quite a bit. Right now they're way too close together. You end up with small deserts next to wintery areas and forests with small little lakes that can't barely be called "oceans". Scale the biome algorithm up. If I want a desert, I want it to go on for miles. And make biomes more logically placed next to each other.

And a mode where I can check a box and turn off certain biomes or adjust their frequency. So I can have a huge rolling hilly grassland.

I want to spawn in the desert on my first day and have to walk for a while to even find grass. Though I guess that would cause a problem when you can't build a workbench because of no wood. Though, deserts do have trees. Dead ones. So make some dead trees that look like normal giant trees without leaves. Problem solved. Your first night would consist of building a desert shelter to shield yourself from the heat and enemies.

The desert should have more desert specific animals. Both hostile and not. Snakes and other desert creatures during the day. Something that gives food of course.

Basically I just want biomes to be big enough to be useful. And oceans to be wide enough to be called oceans. And once biomes are stretched out enough, put mountains away from the oceans enough then create springs at the top with actual carved rivers that lead to the ocean.

I wish I could run a Minecraft Terraforming application that was as easy to use as Sim City 4's city landscape creator is. With tools to carve out the rough shape, and draw where I want mountains, rivers, oceans, deserts, snow, then let the game generate the world for me. Adding all the caves and random pools of stuff later. And when I reach the edge of my created world, just smooth it out and return to random procedurally generated parts.

And with higher ceilings, I want the worlds to generate more realistically. Instead of everything based at sea level with the occasional hill or mountain, have the land gradually rise up as it got further from water. So it creates actual valleys and hills.

More realistic looking world environments is really what I'm asking for. Or at least scaled up Biome generation. That would be much easier really. Probably the addition of a "* scale" to the generation al-gore-ithm. The rest however would require a totally new world generator. I'd settle for just a third party app with an easy to use interface that worked like Sim City 4.

Ark said:
All I really want are more mobs, more blocks, more treasures & hot air balloons!

Totally agree with both of you.

I really want "critters". I don't even need to be able to kill them, just give me random creatures.

And as for the biomes, he did say that biomes are going to get much bigger.

That and the fact that he's adding ravines and valleys tells me we'll need a map wipe come 1.8.

Jasoco

Banned
I keep saying that, but Ark wants to just create a new spawn far away. As long as we get some area in the map with the new features, I don't care. I think we should build a wall around the old map like a castle wall to differentiate the old from the new though.

Or not. But it'd be cool. Make it a community project. Bring all the Cobblestone you have and start building!!! Make it 4 blocks wide with castle style battlements around the edges.The Great Wall of NeoCraft! So big you can see it from space! Or at least the Sky Realm. (Which I hope when it comes out is another dimension you can access from the normal world like the Nether)

Vlad

Barberetti said:
Anyone know what the best way is to go about contacting Mojang regarding a technical problem? I've emailed them at support@mojang.com twice over the last few weeks, and all I've had back are automated replies telling me that my request has been received, and is being reviewed by their support staff. The support section on their website is of no help to me.

For anyone curious, the problem is simply that I moved house a few weeks ago and consequently have a new IP address. Because my IP address has changed, I now get this message pop up after a few minutes of play:

Minecraft Beta 1.7.3 Unlicenced Copy :C
(Or logged in from another location)
Purchase at minecraft.net

Obviously I'm logged in from another location. I know there are certain ways of removing this message, but I'd rather get this resolved all legal like if at all possible.

Well, it's definitely not your IP address, I can tell you that much. Most home users have IP addresses that change regularly, and the game certainly isn't tied to a specific IP address.

Assuming that's not a pirated copy you're running, that message makes it seem like someone might be logged in as you at the same time (hence the "other location" bit). Try going to minecraft.net and changing your password.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Jasoco said:
I think we should build a wall around the old map like a castle wall to differentiate the old from the new though.

Or not. But it'd be cool. Make it a community project. Bring all the Cobblestone you have and start building!!! Make it 4 blocks wide with castle style battlements around the edges.The Great Wall of NeoCraft! So big you can see it from space! Or at least the Sky Realm. (Which I hope when it comes out is another dimension you can access from the normal world like the Nether)

Wow, that would be a metric shit ton of cobblestone. Cool idea and I quite like it, but holy hell at the cobble required. My creeper temple and statues took four whole chests of cobble, I can't imagine what a wall like that would take...

Jasoco

Banned
I know. The world is verrrrrrrrry big. So even a single thickness wall would take enormous amounts of Cobblestone. Even if it were spawned. Maybe we could still do something to the edge where the new map actually does meet the old one. Like some sort of entryway with buildings along the edge and walls that go for a few hundred meters at least then taper off.

It'll be interesting to say the least when it does come out.

Ranger X

Or maybe we simply shouldn't care and continue playing but on new chunks.
Ark should actually crop the map where it's possible, I'm sure people explored around and went pretty far. This way we will have new 1.8 land near the old server.
It would be cool to have the old country actually reacheable not only by a teleport.

Jasoco

Banned
No! I want to build a wall/edge city goshdarnit! With a road from the old spawn all the way to the new one. Wherever it'll be.

Mik2121

Yup, I'd be up for it, but if so we will need to start ALREADY or else we won't have time to finish it for the 1.8 update. We could also use said walls as a "limit" so that anything outside the walls would get deleted and new chunks would appear there.

We will need to start making the outline for the whole area, though. It's going to be huge...

Ark

In response to everyone:

A world wipe is completely viable. A number of people have already told me they'd be happy with it, and I honestly don't mind. Obviously I would put the latest save file up for download too.

However, the current plan is to create a new spawn far away so that everything should work. If there are features for the 1.8 update that just wont work on old maps, then we'll really be forced to refresh everything.

I also don't think a wall would work, since you could just generate a new chunk and walk around it :lol

bengraven

Okay, I read the thing wrong. I thought it had said we needed to start a new world, but now it's saying chunks would also update.

New features in the terrain generator; things which will only appear in new worlds/chunks
NPC Villages with farms and "town borders".
Possibility of players to "claim" land in villages.
Underground Ravines including canyons on the surface and ledges to walk on.
Strongholds, consisting of 4 new blocks: Stone Brick, Mossy Stone Brick, Cracked Stone Brick, and Iron Bars. (names unconfirmed)
New Mushroom biomewhich will include Huge Mushrooms, both brown and red.
Larger Biomes

From: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features

Ranger X

I don't mind the wall man, I just hope the new region won't be THAT far from the current civilisation that's all. ;)

And Mik, it's an excellent idea to use the wall to "limit" the current world.

EDIT: I would be extremely deceived if we had to do a "world wipe". I prefer to keep all the history of the server alive and that we can visit it. I sincerely hope it will not happen.

bengraven

Another fear I have is if we create a new spawn in a new chunk, we'll abandon our old world and ignore it.

Frankly I'd rather that when 1.8 comes out we just save the most current map and then restart a world, sending out the old map to players who want it.

Edit: I won't be sad if we keep the old world. I'm just OCD. Don't worry.

Qwomo

When 1.8 comes out, someone needs to instantly release a mod that removes those idiotic giant mushrooms.

Other than that everything sounds neat.

Ranger X

bengraven said:
Another fear I have is if we create a new spawn in a new chunk, we'll abandon our old world and ignore it.

Of course most people will ignore it. But why lose the old world? It could be there when someone actually want to visit it. It's no use to not have it.

bengraven

Ranger X said:
Of course most people will ignore it. But why lose the old world? It could be there when someone actually want to visit it. It's no use to not have it.

True. We'll just need like 4 pages of warps.

Jasoco

Banned
Ark said:
I also don't think a wall would work, since you could just generate a new chunk and walk around it :lol
Wall 1 was a ring that would surround the world.

Wall 2 is just for appearances. I know I'd be up for the task of designing the area once the update comes out and we figure out where the boundary between the old world and the new chunks is. (IF the generator has changed enough that the overworld actually has edges where the two worlds collide. To make it simple, when 1.8 comes out, before updating, shut the server down and trim a straight edge between the old spawn coordinates and where you plan on putting the new one so it's a straight line.

Mik2121 said:
Yup, I'd be up for it, but if so we will need to start ALREADY or else we won't have time to finish it for the 1.8 update. We could also use said walls as a "limit" so that anything outside the walls would get deleted and new chunks would appear there.

We will need to start making the outline for the whole area, though. It's going to be huge...
You can't start until the update actually comes out so we know where the edge is.

Ranger X said:
I know! We'll build a big dome over the old world and turn it into a preserved museum.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
I know! We'll build a big dome over the old world and turn it into a preserved museum.

You're really into building big things today. :p

bengraven said:
True. We'll just need like 4 pages of warps.

And? I am not affraid of warps. I know them by heart anyways.

Top Bottom