• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

Why does the new spawn need to be so far away Ark? What does it bring to the table really? We only need to be on some newly generated chunk at that point. Right now on the server its super cool to have everything reachable by foot. Why not keep this style? I think its part of this server identity and it did inspire members multiple times with tunnels, mine cart systems, etc.

commissar

Ranger X said:
We only need to be on some newly generated chunk at that point. Right now on the server its super cool to have everything reachable by foot.
this is a good point actually. I vote this :D

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
Why does the new spawn need to be so far away Ark? What does it bring to the table really? We only need to be on some newly generated chunk at that point. Right now on the server its super cool to have everything reachable by foot. Why not keep this style? I think its part of this server identity and it did inspire members multiple times with tunnels, mine cart systems, etc.
Exactly. If the new spawn is going to be SO far, we might as well just start with a whole new world (every time I say this PSO comes to mind :p).

mcrae

Jasoco said:
Really my only concern was the potential ugly chunk errors along the edge of the old world. But since it seems there'll be some disagreements, maybe we'll call the whole thing off. Just build what you want on the edge. I don't care. I still want to build a path from the old spawn to the new one. A road if you will. It'd be a lot easier and less time consuming. We could figure out a wall later on in the future.

And we CAN'T build it before the update because we don't know WHERE the edge will be. So no. It won't happen.

I withdraw my wall contract and propose a connecting road contract. Maybe. If I have enough gravel. And the spawn for the old world is close enough to the new spawn that it isn't inconceivable.

i was the only one to voice an opinion different from yours, dont give up so fast lol.

why dont we know where the edge will be? we make a wall around one of those circles, then ark deletes everything on the outside of that wall, then uploads the map again and updates to 1.8.... everyones happy, no?

All of this cries out loud for inter-world warping :) Notch said sometime he want's such a feature and I'm still waiting for it :( Would be really cool to run into a portal and be on another server. I tried to replace the neither with another real world. This turned out to be working but funnily pigmen and ghasts appeared and the sky was red LOL :D

gillty

Banned
Caesar III said:
All of this cries out loud for inter-world warping :) Notch said sometime he want's such a feature and I'm still waiting for it :( Would be really cool to run into a portal and be on another server. I tried to replace the neither with another real world. This turned out to be working but funnily pigmen and ghasts appeared and the sky was red LOL :D
Already doable in smp with bukkit plugins.

Ark

Ranger X said:

Why do you want to connect old spawn to new spawn with a road? Let's be honest, as soon as 1.8 hits and new spawn pops up, nobody is going to be interested in going back to the old world.

If you look on the map now, there is an 'island' of chunks off to the lower right, my plan was to go out a little further than that to create new spawn. The idea being that people can go off in any direction and still be in 1.8 territory.

Alternatively, we can use multiverse to create a second world on the server, but that pretty much serves the same purpose as wiping the map imo.

At the end of the day this is a decision everyone needs to come to agreement to. Thankfully there's plenty of time till 1.8 hits.

commissar

Ark said:
Why do you want to connect old spawn to new spawn with a road? Let's be honest, as soon as 1.8 hits and new spawn pops up, nobody is going to be interested in going back to the old world.
Old spawn sure, but I think (hope) themed cities will still be of interest. And the trials :3

Grinchy

Banned
As long as we're all adding our 2 cents, I think it only makes sense if we do move the new spawn really far away.

Think about the current spawn. Some people built right at the spawn with other people, and some people wanted to venture off and build things out in their own area.

If we made a new "spawn" that could use all of the 1.8 goodies, but it was really close to the rest of the world, then all of a sudden there's no room for expansion. If it's really far away, we essentially have 2 worlds that are accessible just by typing a /warp command. One world has the old chunks, the other world has the new chunks. It seems to make sense to me.

celebi23

Nivert said:
Just wondering: for anyone that upgraded to Lion, have you noticed any performance issues with minecraft? I haven't played in a while, but I was bored earlier and figured I'd try the YogBox and I don't know if it's just the mod or the actual client but I get framerate drops and it seems to load chunks pretty slowly and basically freezes until it loads.

Sorry if I'm a bit LTTP but haven't played in a while.
I'm having the same exact issues on my Lion partition. Not sure what's causing the problem. Maybe it's Lion's Java install?

Grinchy said:
As long as we're all adding our 2 cents, I think it only makes sense if we do move the new spawn really far away.

Think about the current spawn. Some people built right at the spawn with other people, and some people wanted to venture off and build things out in their own area.

If we made a new "spawn" that could use all of the 1.8 goodies, but it was really close to the rest of the world, then all of a sudden there's no room for expansion. If it's really far away, we essentially have 2 worlds that are accessible just by typing a /warp command. One world has the old chunks, the other world has the new chunks. It seems to make sense to me.
I think this is a great idea & is pretty close to what I was thinking.

Ark

celebi23 said:
I'm having the same exact issues on my Lion partition. Not sure what's causing the problem. Maybe it's Lion's Java install?

I haven't bothered upgrading to Lion, and I probably wont. Quite content with Snow Leopard tbh.

bengraven

We're going to make new spawn a theme correct?

We should make a rule as to how far you can build outside of the "city limits" that's outside the theme.

So we don't have western style castles in the horizon when in a Japanese city for example. ;p

Ark

bengraven said:
We're going to make new spawn a theme correct?

Correct. We'll need to agree and thoroughly plan what is to be built. But we had a discussion last night when the server was full and we ended up coming to the conclusion that a floating fantasy style castle city would be amazing.

I'm not so sure about the floating aspect, but I desperately want to build a fantasy castle city.

Ark

Pandaman said:
why not build the road in the nether to take advantage of the 1:10 effect. >_>

Actually hadn't thought of this. But this works too.

EDIT:

Another idea we had, was to implement iConomy and create a 'server shop' at the new spawn city. A marketplace where you could sell your unwanted cobble etc and use the money to buy other items. (I think this was actually posted above somewhere, but I'm not sure :p).

Fireblend

Banned
Is there some sort of "howto" to building castles, towers, walls and other structures? everything I attempt looks hideous in comparison with stuff I see online. Am I just a shitty designer and everyone else instantly knows how to make good looking towers or is there some guide/howto I'm missing?

Ark said:

EDIT:

Another idea we had, was to implement iConomy and create a 'server shop' at the new spawn city. A marketplace where you could sell your unwanted cobble etc and use the money to buy other items. (I think this was actually posted above somewhere, but I'm not sure :p).

I like and endorse the idea of a server shop. Would the stock be infinite or would it be user created so to speak?

bengraven

Ark said:

EDIT:

I would like this. It not only adds functionality but also gives the game a little more charm and heart to have a store.

Here's something that will likely get shot down but I'll try anyway: how about we add stores to each of our theme cities and have those stores sell only the traditional theme items: so in Moria the store sells cobble, buckets, lava buckets, glass, etc and Arkyoto store sells wood, wool, gravel, etc. Then the main spawn city would sell almost everything.

Also, floating city awesome and you get 5 thumbs up from me, but would it be hard to expand?

Fireblend said:
Is there some sort of "howto" to building castles, towers, walls and other structures? everything I attempt looks hideous in comparison with stuff I see online. Am I just a shitty designer and everyone else instantly knows how to make good looking towers or is there some guide/howto I'm missing?

I'm really bad too. I find that my imagination is huge, but my skills are limited. (same problem I have with drawing).

I usually just copy elements from other people and then try my best to make it look unique.

I've had my house in Arkyoto for 2 days and still can't figure out how I want it to look before I move on to the other parts of it. In half that time, jeffstewart built a very nice little house that's twice the size of my first attempt on the water next to my house, with a path leading up to the mountain and some nice "sculpted trees".

Ark

bengraven said:
I would like this. It not only adds functionality but also gives the game a little more charm and heart to have a store.

Here's something that will likely get shot down but I'll try anyway: how about we add stores to each of our theme cities and have those stores sell only the traditional theme items: so in Moria the store sells cobble, buckets, lava buckets, glass, etc and Arkyoto store sells wood, wool, gravel, etc. Then the main spawn city would sell almost everything.

Also, floating city awesome and you get 5 thumbs up from me, but would it be hard to expand?

I guess we could do that area-specific shops, but I'd still like to have a main marketplace in the new spawn where you can buy anything :)

The city wouldn't expand. My vision for it is that we set out the boundaries first, build a landmark in the middle, then build a planned out city around said landmark.

Ideally I'd like to have everything that needs to be built put into a list, and people can then volunteer individually or in groups to build segments of that list.

Insaniac

out of curiosity did you guys (ark) ever figure out why the biomes seemed to changed at random and if you fixed it how? (it happened on my SMP server)

Ark

Insaniac said:
out of curiosity did you guys (ark) ever figure out why the biomes seemed to changed at random and if you fixed it how? (it happened on my SMP server)

Absolutely no idea, and the only way I know to fix it, is to start a whole new world.

It happened once when the server completely derped out on itself.

vetrox

My tower. I went a simple but powerful outline.

The interior has a intricate maze-like layout, although some said obstinate was a more fitting description.
Can you get inside and reach the top?

Feel free to check it out, it's about 600 blocks east from spawn, viewable from ninefingers ship.

Oh, btw I'm washaa in Minecraft.

I've noticed that no matter how far out I go in any area (tundra, booty bay, etc.) there is no "free space" to start building. I just want to build a castle damn it. Where do I have to go to find a place that is on the edge of civilization but still close enough so I can see players in the distance.

bengraven

Misanthropy said:
I've noticed that no matter how far out I go in any area (tundra, booty bay, etc.) there is no "free space" to start building. I just want to build a castle damn it. Where do I have to go to find a place that is on the edge of civilization but still close enough so I can see players in the distance.

Basically what you just said. There is infinite space almost to search.

Find a castle far far from civilization (follow the map) and then go until that castle is on your horizon and if you're alone, you're good.

But follow the map to find a good place to go.

HEY...server is full!?

vetrox

Misanthropy said:

Try using the map supplied in OP. I always refer to it before staking out a new area for some project. It helped me find these great islands for my frozen fortress/castle.

Orlandu84

vetrox said:
Try using the map supplied in OP. I always refer to it before staking out a new area for some project. It helped me find these great islands for my frozen fortress/castle.

I had looked at the map once, but I really did not pay close attention to it. Now that I have, I am even more impressed with how much you all have done!

Drazgul

Misanthropy said:

With a username like that, a subterranean castle should be more than fitting, no?

Those damn surface people, one day they'll get theirs. We morlocks shall rise and rule the woooorld, nyahahahhahahaa!

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
Misanthropy said:

If you still cant find someplace, let me know, I know where you may be able to build.

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
months ago I just sailed around looking for places to build, I found my place at the time with no one else around me or near. Now there is a lot of stuff popping up around, but past my place there isn't much.

However, if someone builds in my lovely bonemeal and tree planted area, I will blow your shit up to kingdom come!!!! TFS!!!!

T F S !!!!

Ark

Asak8.png

There's always going to be someone..

Ranger X

There's a Castle town now? lol official new community project?

Ark, It's not me who want to reach the old spawn by a road but some people want it. Why prevent them their fun if it doesn't change anything for us? That is my point. Also, if there's no point to return to the whole world then why do you not want to wipe it all? Because there are reasons to get back. Visit, show, redo stuff, nostalgia, etc. Also, in the same logic, if there's no point in returning in the old world, why would there be a point already to keep all our current cities that are basically ghost towns?
The way I see it, what we need in 1.8 simply are new chunks. You could take that map Mik2121 posted a couple of pages ago, cut around that red outline (roughly) and then you simply return in the world (under version 1.8 duh) and then put the new spawn some couple of chunks away from the "old world" in any direction. It's simple yet would please everyone I think.

I think I'm burnt out on MC once again. Just don't feel like building anything. :S I thought about making a new place to call /home, but I'll save that for when the new spawn arrives.

Just flew through my strip mines from the server I play on. Wow, did I mine a lot. I put netflix on my second monitor and just mined for hours. These tubes go on for miles.
Two stacks of diamonds later, I regret nothing.
9FziG.jpg

Bootay is it okay if I build a castle near Mik's castle in Castleton? Right now I'm using sand as a template but then I'll switch it out to something more castlelike.

EDIT: Another question: Will Castleton still be a bustling new city after the 1.8 update? I don't want to build for nothing.

Natiko

Banned
I hopped on the server earlier just out of curiosities sake. Wow, that city was decked out. I wasn't really sure what all I was looking at or where I was going though.
Sorry if I invaded anyone's house?
lol

Ranger X

Misanthropy said:
EDIT: Another question: Will Castleton still be a bustling new city after the 1.8 update? I don't want to build for nothing.

Build for fun. I you worry about that, you will never build anything in Neocraft. Community project always last a couple of weeks and than we start another.
There's plenty of time until 1.8. Castleton might not even be the last community project before the update.

Castleton is shaping up well.

I've talked about this on the server, so just an idea:

I like the idea of each community project having a 'language' as a naming theme.

Booty Bay = English
Al-Medina = Arabic
Arkyoto = Japanese

So, why not name things in German for this town? It makes it a bit more fun, don't you think?

I built my townhouse, and it was really refreshing after building in Arkyo, which is so expensive, difficult, and subsequently, time consuming. (Expensive = uses rarer materials that take a longer time to gather)

I'm going to troll NPC towns in 1.8. I'm going to build like a huge dome to put them in eternal darkness, ala Monty Burns.

vas_a_morir said:
Castleton is shaping up well.

I've talked about this on the server, so just an idea:

I like the idea of each community project having a 'language' as a naming theme.

Booty Bay = English
Al-Medina = Arabic
Arkyoto = Japanese

So, why not name things in German for this town? It makes it a bit more fun, don't you think?

I built my townhouse, and it was really refreshing after building in Arkyo, which is so expensive, difficult, and subsequently, time consuming. (Expensive = uses rarer materials that take a longer time to gather)

I'm going to troll NPC towns in 1.8. I'm going to build like a huge dome to put them in eternal darkness, ala Monty Burns.

Just look out for any baby NPCs.

Jasoco

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
But sir! The plants and trees will die! Owls will deafen them with their incessant hooting! The town sundial will be useless!

Mik2121

Misanthropy said:
Bootay is it okay if I build a castle near Mik's castle in Castleton? Right now I'm using sand as a template but then I'll switch it out to something more castlelike.
Sure. But yeah, right now it looks like a giant cube :p

Top Bottom