• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

Ranger X said:
EDIT: I would be extremely deceived if we had to do a "world wipe". I prefer to keep all the history of the server alive and that we can visit it. I sincerely hope it will not happen.

I'm in the same boat (my Arkyoto boat actually). I'd prefer to keep the 'old world'.

bengraven said:
True. We'll just need like 4 pages of warps.

The only warps that will exist will be donator warps.

The creativegates portal mod I have installed will replace the 'official' warps. Warps like oldspawn, BootyBay, Al-Medina, Arkyoto, Castleton, etc will all be reached via portals. There will be a 'portal hub' at the new spawn building.

Ranger X

Ark said:
The creativegates portal mod I have installed will replace the 'official' warps. Warps like oldspawn, BootyBay, Al-Medina, Arkyoto, Castleton, etc will all be reached via portals. There will be a 'portal hub' at the new spawn building.

This is pure excellence.

Mik2121

Jasoco said:
Wall 1 was a ring that would surround the world.

Wall 2 is just for appearances. I know I'd be up for the task of designing the area once the update comes out and we figure out where the boundary between the old world and the new chunks is. (IF the generator has changed enough that the overworld actually has edges where the two worlds collide. To make it simple, when 1.8 comes out, before updating, shut the server down and trim a straight edge between the old spawn coordinates and where you plan on putting the new one so it's a straight line.

You can't start until the update actually comes out so we know where the edge is.

I know! We'll build a big dome over the old world and turn it into a preserved museum.
Well, we don't need to make a wall that fits exactly the outer limits. We could just make the wall, and whenever Ark or whoever else cleans up chunks, he could just try to cut as close to the walls as possible. I will draw a line of what I think could be some good limits and see what you guys think, oks?

bengraven

Ark said:
I'm in the same boat (my Arkyoto boat actually). I'd prefer to keep the 'old world'.

The only warps that will exist will be donator warps.

I can dig that.

Again, I apologize to everyone, the reason I was a proponent of a map wipe was misunderstanding whether 1.8 would require a new world for the new changes.

Edit: what's the story with the water warp near Vas's house? I love it, it's the reason I built my house where I did, so don't get me wrong, and can we make more of those like that?

Jasoco

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Well, we don't need to make a wall that fits exactly the outer limits. We could just make the wall, and whenever Ark or whoever else cleans up chunks, he could just try to cut as close to the walls as possible. I will draw a line of what I think could be some good limits and see what you guys think, oks?
I think a wall just along the bottom would be enough since most likely people won't explore all the way around.

I'd start with just a wall by the entrance gateway (Which would be along a path of gravel two blocks wide (4 if you are so inclined, but it'd take twice as much) that would lead from the current spawn area to the new one.

The question is, will the new spawn be to the South, North, West or East of the current one? Ark hasn't picked a coordinate yet, has he?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mik2121 said:
We will need to start making the outline for the whole area, though. It's going to be huge...

Huge isn't the word. IMMENSE is more appropriate. Gargantuan. It's a monumental task. Does sound kind of cool though, lol.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
There really is only one reason why we would want to wipe the map and start afresh with 1.8: to keep the map file size manageable. If file size isn't any real concern then I don't see a need to wipe the map. So the real question is: do we have a physical limit to what file size Neocraft can be? If yes, then we need to give it some thought. If no, then keep it all! :)

Vlad said:
Well, it's definitely not your IP address, I can tell you that much. Most home users have IP addresses that change regularly, and the game certainly isn't tied to a specific IP address.

Assuming that's not a pirated copy you're running, that message makes it seem like someone might be logged in as you at the same time (hence the "other location" bit). Try going to minecraft.net and changing your password.

Paid for via Paypal and downloaded direct from minecraft.net ages ago, so definitely legit. I'll try changing the password, but I usually play in offline mode anyway. Just seems odd that this only started after I got my new internet connection installed here and connected to the Minecraft server to update my copy of the game.

Update: Changing the password made no difference.

mcrae

Jasoco said:
I know. The world is verrrrrrrrry big. So even a single thickness wall would take enormous amounts of Cobblestone. Even if it were spawned. Maybe we could still do something to the edge where the new map actually does meet the old one. Like some sort of entryway with buildings along the edge and walls that go for a few hundred meters at least then taper off.

It'll be interesting to say the least when it does come out.

this is one situation where i'd support ark spawning us cobble and turning on flying

bengraven

Can we just wall off the cities and then cut everything in between?

The untouched areas I mean. Obviously if we see a hut on the map in the middle of nowhere we wouldn't cut that part.

Jasoco

Banned
mcrae said:
this is one situation where i'd support ark spawning us cobble and turning on flying
Well, I have a bunch of stacks locked up in my house. And there's still time to just go underground and mine the hell out of the world.

If anything I'd rather Ark just spawn a bunch of iron or diamond pickaxes, not for the project, but for everyone. I'm sad whenever I go to the Community Center and there's nothing in any of the chests.

Mik2121

Alright, here's an idea of what I thought the Great Wall of NeoCraft could surround:

5MOZ9.jpg

(hopefully the pic isn't huge)

Anyway..

RED OUTLINE = It includes about 95% of the NeoCraft buildings. But it's so large it's pretty much impossible.

BLUE OUTLINE = Still huge, includes a lot of stuff but leaves a lot of things out.

YELLOW OUTLINE = Basically includes just Arkyoto, Bootybay and Al-Medina, the three main towns besides Spawn and Moria. It's still large enough to become a symbol of the 'Old World' and even if we don't finish it, having a huge part of a wall could be interesting, just like with the GW of China.

Anyway, either of the 3 options would consume a ton of time and a ton of cobblestone. What do you guys think?.

I don't get the point of a world wipe. If thats what you want then delete all of your stuff and go explore some new chunks and start over in the middle of nowhere.

Jasoco

Banned
As I said, a wall around the entire thing isn't really important. Just make one that spans the one side along which the new world will be. And build it as you go using the same style as the original parts as new areas are discovered along the rim. We don't need anyone walking the entire perimeter just to spawn stuff. Just build as normal, with a single walk from the old spawn to the new one to generate the beginning and start building the wall only there.

I would like to design it. Not that it's a hard design. A simple 4 block wide (Maybe 6 if we want the path along the top to be 4 blocks. More if we want it more like the actual Great Wall with big towers every hundred meters that have two entrances each side.) Maybe I'll build a sample of what I want on the server later.

It wouldn't need to be solid inside. Hallow is fine if you don't mind occasional enemies spawning inside. The floor would be either Cobblestone or half-blocks. (I'd pick half-blocks.)

I'm gonna log on and make a sample design.

Edit: Later I guess? The server is FULL? What??? How?? Whoa!

Xun

Mik2121 said:
RED OUTLINE = It includes about 95% of the NeoCraft buildings. But it's so large it's pretty much impossible.

BLUE OUTLINE = Still huge, includes a lot of stuff but leaves a lot of things out.

YELLOW OUTLINE = Basically includes just Arkyoto, Bootybay and Al-Medina, the three main towns besides Spawn and Moria. It's still large enough to become a symbol of the 'Old World' and even if we don't finish it, having a huge part of a wall could be interesting, just like with the GW of China.

Anyway, either of the 3 options would consume a ton of time and a ton of cobblestone. What do you guys think?.
I'm up for helping out.

spuit*11

Banned
Rabbit Lord said:
I don't get the point of a world wipe. If thats what you want then delete all of your stuff and go explore some new chunks and start over in the middle of nowhere.
This. It seems unnecessary to delete all our old stuff when we can just move to unexplored space and get all the new features there. I'm all for keeping what we have and just moving the new spawn far away.

Ark

Rabbit Lord said:

We aren't going to wipe the world.

Jasoco said:

I know! We've been at player cap for well over 6 hours now, people are queueing to get in :)

Like I said though, server should be upgraded to 1.5gb RAM and 20 slots hopefully by tomorrow evening, Sunday evening at the latest.

EDIT:

I don't actually know the general direction new spawn will be. I'll be going into the nether, walking for a while, then making a portal back up to the surface. On the map it will generate a new 'island', but it'll be the new, fully 1.8 updated area. Then I'll move the spawn to a temporary area whilst I get to work on the spawn building.

Mik2121

Jasoco said:
As I said, a wall around the entire thing isn't really important. Just make one that spans the one side along which the new world will be. And build it as you go using the same style as the original parts as new areas are discovered along the rim. We don't need anyone walking the entire perimeter just to spawn stuff. Just build as normal, with a single walk from the old spawn to the new one to generate the beginning and start building the wall only there.

I would like to design it. Not that it's a hard design. A simple 4 block wide (Maybe 6 if we want the path along the top to be 4 blocks. More if we want it more like the actual Great Wall with big towers every hundred meters that have two entrances each side.) Maybe I'll build a sample of what I want on the server later.

It wouldn't need to be solid inside. Hallow is fine if you don't mind occasional enemies spawning inside. The floor would be either Cobblestone or half-blocks. (I'd pick half-blocks.)

I'm gonna log on and make a sample design.

Gotcha.

I have been trying out some design for the walls, so if you wanna take a look at it when designing the wall, it'd be nice. Mine has a pathway inside (lit up) and another on the top. Right now I only made a wall about 25 blocks long, but you can get an idea. I will post a screenshot later.

I can see both arguments for and against a world wipe. It's better to wipe if we have a lot of new people so that everyone can kind of start out the same and build together at the same time, rather than come in later and have to tack onto something. Plus it keeps it from getting too big and problems from forming.

On the other hand, it's a lot of history and work to have wiped out. I'd love the chance to build something new and go exploring fresh without running into everyone else's caves or having them build directly on top of my house (there's a massive abandoned temple there now, so I lost a lot of possible area for my house), but I also love my hollowed-out mountainside home and am planning to add a waterfall over my main window this weekend to connect the small pool of water at the base (and so I stop falling off the top).

That being said, I'm glad we're not gonna wipe and I look forward to new adventures. :)

Also, now's a good time to subscribe to this thread finally.

bengraven

Mik2121 said:

Why don't we just go with the red area and cut everything outside of it?

No wall needed. Just tell people that at this point if they build outside of that area they will lose it.

Jasoco

Banned
Is that a tunnel? Or a wall? My idea was more like the Great Wall. I'm building something on my single player test world where I can spawn materials to get a guage of what you need. I'll show it off when it's done.

I was just going to make the inside empty and dark and inaccessible. No need to go inside.

Let me do my idea. Then get some thoughts.

Mik2121

Jasoco said:
Is that a tunnel? Or a wall? My idea was more like the Great Wall. I'm building something on my single player test world where I can spawn materials to get a guage of what you need. I'll show it off when it's done.

I was just going to make the inside empty and dark and inaccessible. No need to go inside.

Let me do my idea. Then get some thoughts.
Well, my idea was basically a wall hollow so that you could also walk on the inside, but it could be just simply hollow without being able to walk on the inside, and just only use the top walkway.

My idea was also similar to the great wall (it actually has some hollow parts where you can walk inside, but only small rooms and corridors, not the whole thing obviously because it wouldn't make sense :p). But I didn't want to make it as tall as the actual Great Wall because with the cobblestone texture, a wall that tall would be mighty ugly. Mine is 4 blocks tall plus an extra block for the barrier on the top. Then one strip of wood every 10 of cobblestone to get some variation.

bengraven said:
Why don't we just go with the red area and cut everything outside of it?

No wall needed. Just tell people that at this point if they build outside of that area they will lose it.

Not cool, my Viking town is not inside the red outline.

Jasoco

Banned
Give me a little bit. I'm almost done with the basic idea for each wall and tower segment I have in my head. It's simple, but it could be expanded on later. And I wouldn't build it until the update comes out at which point I would want exclusive rights to the land along the border. ;-) Seriously though, yeah. Don't let anyone build there until we figure it out. Not that it will happen soon. PAX is still two weeks away and the update probably won't be for a couple after that.

Jasoco

Banned
It's a simple design, but effective. It would serve as the border between the old world and the new. Each wall section and each tower would be the same. The wall sections would need to be an odd length to make sure the battlements line up right. The towers would be 2 blocks wider than the path (In this case, 8) and an odd number at least 7 deep. The path itself could be either 4 or 5 blocks wide with the two blocks on the sides. The path is all smooth stone halfblocks. The battlements are whole stone and half cobblestone blocks alternated so they match.

Cobblestone is just one material. Hopefully 1.8 will give us a better block type like those bricks that actually look like my screenshot. This shot shows the Painterly pack. Remember the actual wall on default would be all cobblestone. I'd prefer it look more like castle bricks though so I HOPE they make them craftable and not just something I have to hunt down. Because otherwise I'd just use cobblestone.

There is nothing inside the wall. But I would leave it open to letting people build inside, but I'd rather there be no windows to the outside because I want it to look like it was built to keep people out. Not as a home.

Entrances to the wall would be contained in each tower. Not along the wall. And I plan on making the actual gateway where the path between each spawn lies, a bigger two tower design with something inside on the second floor up where the wall path is. I dunno what yet. I will decide when and if I get the contract and start building.

Problem is I will need a LOT of whatever material I use. And once I lay out a foundation, other people could join in and help build to match the already existing parts. I'd have to build a sample wall and tower to look at and the entrance.

My wall is about 7 blocks to the top of the wall on average. It'll vary as the wall expands. Some points it'll have to go up hills and we'd have to improvise. And who knows what it'd look like if we had to do angled walls or 90 degree turns. I'd make each "turn" of the wall happen at a tower point if possible. But not as required.

It would be good for keeping Mongolians out.
YAaIw.jpg

Thoughts?

mcrae

Jasoco said:
It's a simple design, but effective. It would serve as the border between the old world and the new. Each wall section and each tower would be the same. The wall sections would need to be an odd length to make sure the battlements line up right. The towers would be 2 blocks wider than the path (In this case, 8) and an odd number at least 7 deep. The path itself could be either 4 or 5 blocks wide with the two blocks on the sides. The path is all smooth stone halfblocks. The battlements are whole stone and half cobblestone blocks alternated so they match.

Cobblestone is just one material. Hopefully 1.8 will give us a better block type like those bricks that actually look like my screenshot. This shot shows the Painterly pack. Remember the actual wall on default would be all cobblestone. I'd prefer it look more like castle bricks though so I HOPE they make them craftable and not just something I have to hunt down. Because otherwise I'd just use cobblestone.

There is nothing inside the wall. But I would leave it open to letting people build inside, but I'd rather there be no windows to the outside because I want it to look like it was built to keep people out. Not as a home.

Entrances to the wall would be contained in each tower. Not along the wall. And I plan on making the actual gateway where the path between each spawn lies, a bigger two tower design with something inside on the second floor up where the wall path is. I dunno what yet. I will decide when and if I get the contract and start building.

Problem is I will need a LOT of whatever material I use. And once I lay out a foundation, other people could join in and help build to match the already existing parts. I'd have to build a sample wall and tower to look at and the entrance.

My wall is about 7 blocks to the top of the wall on average. It'll vary as the wall expands. Some points it'll have to go up hills and we'd have to improvise. And who knows what it'd look like if we had to do angled walls or 90 degree turns. I'd make each "turn" of the wall happen at a tower point if possible. But not as required.

It would be good for keeping Mongolians out.
YAaIw.jpg

Thoughts?

-the 4 block wall is a more realistic concept.

-you thinking you would lay out the entire foundation on your own is ridiculous, it will take too long.

-waiting until 1.8 comes out to do this is a bad idea, everyone will want to be experimenting with new features, not building some boring old wall. whatever we do needs to be pre-1.8

- making towers every x blocks is too formulaic and boring, and only making turns where towers are is too much of a hindrance. towers should just sprout up wherever someone wants to make one.

organizationally, i think we should split up the wall into however many chunks, say 10, and assign each chunk to a player who wants to help build it. actually, we could even let people make their chunk in whatever style they want, that would be neat.

i vote for the middle-sized circle.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm waiting till 1.8 (and patches) before i start playing again but meanwhile, i'm considering making a texture pack at some point. Tell me, is it hard to make default resolution textures? I have some very basic experience using... GIMP? Photoshop? Well i can't remember quite...
I have Paint.NET installed, heard it's easyish to use.
I ask this because i have this awesome idea for a texture pack and i'd like to see if i could make it.

EDIT, btw, if there will be a server wipe, i'm fine with it

commissar

Not make a huge wall around the new spawn instead? That way there's a neat city boundary.

I think Ark was wanting to make new spawn all medieval? Or maybe it wasn't spawn but a general medieval town.

Either way, I suspect the 'old' world will continue as it is - the existing themed cities and use of portals means people can still move about and build things.

No need for it to be "archived" IMO

Jasoco

Banned
Really my only concern was the potential ugly chunk errors along the edge of the old world. But since it seems there'll be some disagreements, maybe we'll call the whole thing off. Just build what you want on the edge. I don't care. I still want to build a path from the old spawn to the new one. A road if you will. It'd be a lot easier and less time consuming. We could figure out a wall later on in the future.

And we CAN'T build it before the update because we don't know WHERE the edge will be. So no. It won't happen.

I withdraw my wall contract and propose a connecting road contract. Maybe. If I have enough gravel. And the spawn for the old world is close enough to the new spawn that it isn't inconceivable.

Ark

Jasoco said:
I withdraw my wall contract and propose a connecting road contract. Maybe. If I have enough gravel. And the spawn for the old world is close enough to the new spawn that it isn't inconceivable.

Building a road between old and new spawn more than likely wont be viable.

New spawn should be so much further away that trying to make a road would just generate like 50mb of filesize. That's my proposed plan anyway.

Jasoco

Banned
Well then. No road or wall. No problem. I am assuming we'll have a portal system though? A road through the Nether would be a lot shorter than above ground. I'm not planning on doing much visiting of the old world when it's here anyway. But will we lose our current warps? /artokyo, /moria, /al-medina, etc?

Just cut out everything outside the red, but then go into the nether, travel really far, pop above ground, and make that the new spawn. It will be sufficiently far away that you don't need to worry about running into the old place for a while, and when you do, I think it would minimize chunk errors.

It's what I do whenever I get bored in my single player world. Go so far that when I spawn above ground in a new portal, it's not connected to anything from my old world.

bengraven

I'm totally putting my medieval tavern in the new spawn.

Rabbit Lord said:
Not cool, my Viking town is not inside the red outline.

ha, well we wouldn't do it right away. You guys could veto certain portions and make the chunk larger.

Also, had no idea you were Rabbit Lord!

Jasoco

Banned
Can't you just use Admin commands to warp to specified coordinates or something? I mean, the world generator coordinates can go from -12,550,820 to 12,550,820. And according to the Wiki, it would literally take 820 hours to walk from 0,0 to the Far Lands. So there's plenty of room to place the new spawn where it'll never ever run into the old world.

I may even disassemble my house and rebuild it in the new spawn area to save time. Ark could even gradually erase old world chunks as they get emptied and abandoned preserving only certain areas like Bootybay, Artokyo and Al-Medina.

Ark

Jasoco said:
Well then. No road or wall. No problem. I am assuming we'll have a portal system though? A road through the Nether would be a lot shorter than above ground. I'm not planning on doing much visiting of the old world when it's here anyway. But will we lose our current warps? /artokyo, /moria, /al-medina, etc?

Donator warps will stay and be moved if requested. 'Official' warps like Arkyoto, Bootybay, etc etc will all be removed and replaced with portals.

Jasoco said:
Can't you just use Admin commands to warp to specified coordinates or something? I mean, the world generator coordinates can go from -12,550,820 to 12,550,820. And according to the Wiki, it would literally take 820 hours to walk from 0,0 to the Far Lands. So there's plenty of room to place the new spawn where it'll never ever run into the old world.

Not that I'm aware of. Just going through the nether is hardly an issue anyway :)

Jasoco

Banned
Ark said:
Donator warps will stay and be moved if requested. 'Official' warps like Arkyoto, Bootybay, etc etc will all be removed and replaced with portals.
Including the Tundra? At least temporarily while I disassemble and pack up my house? (Hopefully by 1.8 we'll also be able to reclaim stairs.)

Not that I'm aware of. Just going through the nether is hardly an issue anyway :)
So, how far ahead are you going?

MJLord

just leave all the old warps in as portals like ark has suggested that seems to make the most sense out of all the ideas xD

Ark

Jasoco said:
Including the Tundra? At least temporarily while I disassemble and pack up my house? (Hopefully by 1.8 we'll also be able to reclaim stairs.)

Tundra will stay, that was triplesek's donator warp iirc.

Jasoco said:
So, how far ahead are you going?

I have no idea! :D

Jasoco

Banned
Ark said:
Tundra will stay, that was triplesek's donator warp iirc.
Well, I hope he didn't mind me building a house down the hill from him and a tunnel through the mountain... and removing that spire by the water, or the one where my house is now, or that weird ice block thing in the water that wasn't doing anything except sit there untouched... Seeing as I never saw him ever come on. I'll be gone when 1.8 comes out anyway so if he wants to keep it, it's his Tundra.
I have no idea! :D
Look me up when you get there.

Ark

Rabbit Lord said:
Hey Ark what is your plan for the design on the new spawn? I wouldn't mind helping if your looking for it.

I have an idea, but I'll post my actual idea(s) later on.

The server seems to have randomly lost connection. I'll post again if it comes back up before I head off. If the server has broken something (chunk errors, etc) then I'll have to restore the latest backup (around an hour ago from this post).

EDIT: Server is back up.

Nivert

Just wondering: for anyone that upgraded to Lion, have you noticed any performance issues with minecraft? I haven't played in a while, but I was bored earlier and figured I'd try the YogBox and I don't know if it's just the mod or the actual client but I get framerate drops and it seems to load chunks pretty slowly and basically freezes until it loads.

Sorry if I'm a bit LTTP but haven't played in a while.

Orlandu84

Jasoco said:
I wish I could run a Minecraft Terraforming application that was as easy to use as Sim City 4's city landscape creator is. With tools to carve out the rough shape, and draw where I want mountains, rivers, oceans, deserts, snow, then let the game generate the world for me. Adding all the caves and random pools of stuff later. And when I reach the edge of my created world, just smooth it out and return to random procedurally generated parts.

I loved Sim City 4's landscape creator! It was so easy to use, and it had so much flexibility. Now that you mention it, I haven't played that game in ages...

Anyways, it would certainly make for an awesome addition to the Minecraft community to be able to shape the terrain in that way.

Top Bottom