• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

Ether_Snake said:
Been a while since I played but make a hole in the bottom of the wall, 1 block in size only. That way you can attack them when they stand in front of it and they can't attack you, and skeletons can't shoot arrows at you. You are basically attacking their feet:p

What I used to do is dig a three blocks deep trench all around my compound, two blocks wide. So all the monsters outside just end up falling in it. Then I either attack them from inside with those holes I mentioned, or I go out and attack them from above during day time, and collect all the loot:) I'm guessing filling it with water would kill them automatically.

All monsters are swimming just fine. In order to drown them you need currents bringing them somewhere enclosed where they will have no choice but to basically sink.

Toki1776

animlboogy said:
The reason I asked because I think it would be really fun to play Minecraft with a spelunking sort of style. Maybe I just haven't explored intensely enough to find caves that reach the bedrock yet.ill give it a try.

I've found that exploring large caves can be one of the fastest ways to collect a bunch of coal and iron, and you get a decent amount of gold and lapis in the massive ones. It is almost certainly more efficient to set up a mine for Redstone, and probably for diamond too, just cause it's safer. As long as you come prepared, you can stay underground for days, only needing to surface to lighten your inventory (though dealing with mobs can sometimes slow the progress of exploration severely). I think it's certainly a more interesting way of finding materials, and some of those caves are quite beautiful. Spelunking is one of my favorite activities in Minecraft.

Ranger X

The ones I find the less while spelunking is Gold and Diamonds. Then it's lapiz lazuli.
I get a shiton of Coal, Iron and Redstone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Zaphod said:
Are there any hills nearby? Sometimes they fall in. Trees are another good source of monsters.

Moats with flowing water can help keep monsters away from the door. Making a place to snipe on monsters near a door is helpful too. I usually make my walls 3 or higher just in case.

On my server we have made a 64 diameter circular wall that has buildings inside but no monsters. We learned about trees the hard way. We also learned that skeletons can climb ladders.

do trees need to overhang a wall, or can they jump across? I'll check.

I think some were coming in from a big cliff overlooking the camp, but I put a wall up there now.

I tried making a little house around the spawn point (had to put all my inventory in a chest and then drowned myself) but I don't spawn in the same place each time. Always close by though. Any reason for that? In exanos' map you always spawn in exactly the same location

Atomski

Been trying to build a dwarf fortress on exano's server but freakin slimes keep popping up that are invincible. Making it a real pain in the ass... hope it gets fixed soon.

Just went on Timan's server for the first time today. I think I prefer creative servers as opposed to survival servers. I'm planning on building Big Ben but I need an admin to come online first otherwise I can't build. I love that some of the elements from old GAFLand are around. Brings back good memories.

Sofo

mrklaw said:
do trees need to overhang a wall, or can they jump across? I'll check.

I think some were coming in from a big cliff overlooking the camp, but I put a wall up there now.

I tried making a little house around the spawn point (had to put all my inventory in a chest and then drowned myself) but I don't spawn in the same place each time. Always close by though. Any reason for that? In exanos' map you always spawn in exactly the same location
I had that problem, even having a fence and everything was well-lit, some skeletons would manage to get through. I realised there was some small hill with a tree that allowed them to somehow (don't ask) make it right outside my walls. Hope you can solve it!

Anyway, here's my project. I still need lots more of glass to make the windows. It's not something pretty but I wanted to reach the sky, and made it!

2011-03-13_15.16.05.png

It's composed of 2 towers, one with lava and the other one with water. These two are only stairs, connected to the main hub, which itself connects to the big tower.

2011-03-13_15.16.07.png

I'm wondering though, what am I going to put in there!

2011-03-13_15.16.17.png

2011-03-13_15.24.13.png

My, room, at the top of it all.

2011-03-13_15.24.31.png

Wheat, I have too much bread now!

2011-03-13_15.24.43.png

Glass room, for nice views and future leisure room.

Went online for the first time recently and I just wanted to say that the Asscraft server is a real joy to explore. Amazing all the stuff that you come across.

What are the rules for online? Am I allowed to break blocks and harvest materials? I don't want to ruin anything.

Grinchy

Banned
People make shops with chests full of materials?? That sounds so awesome. I need to jump on that server once my finals are over.

Ranger X

Looks like I am done exploring my continent. I've been sort of looping around an almost perfectly definite chunk of land (that was huge and it was long to explore!). So now I decided to settle down and have a building trip. (all the while I will explore caves from time to time for a change of pace) Here's some pics I took from my seeds during my lastest trips.

Spawnpoint cliffs

SpawnPoint.png

First home with my little viewpoint tower and Nether gate

GoodMorning.png

My new place where I will settle down

Newhome.png

Snow, water and lava on the same huge cliff!

LavaSnowWater.png

:)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've started building my new house in front of my boring old one in Exano's. Shit's gonna be awesome.

bengraven

I think I'm going to move mine as well. I have two caverns on the server already, neither completely explored, since I've been spending so much time trying to make a decent Roman structure and failing badly since the creative gene is currently dead to me.

I might just go N, S, or West and make a normal house and use my other buildings as mine lobbies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've made a rough outline of a bridge that now reaches Vlad's Sky Island tower. Sure hope setting it up for Rails won't be too hard :p

Still filling in the gaps in the bridge, but it "is" traversable" on foot.

Sofo

As it's been said, that's Frenden's texture pack. I've been using it for a couple of days and it really charmed me! Btw, I play on Exano's server. It's been a bit empty during my times these days, sadly!

IrishNinja

goddammit.

i keep starting a world and trying the guide in the OP, but i dont finish by night, so i die & lose everything.
connected to GAF's world (it's glorious), and by the time i find trees to start chopping, again, it's night and im being killed. (;_;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IrishNinja said:
goddammit.

i keep starting a world and trying the guide in the OP, but i dont finish by night, so i die & lose everything.
connected to GAF's world (it's glorious), and by the time i find trees to start chopping, again, it's night and im being killed. (;_;)

it happens - you just have to get your feet.

some tips (I've only been playing for a week so still a noob really)

1) you need somewhere safe for the night. minimum is just a dirt box. Doesn't even need to be lit - monsters spawn in the dark, but they won't spawn close to you, so as long as you don't have any holes you'll be fine overnight.

Find a hill and just dig into it with your bare hands to carve out a hollow. Then use the dirt you pick up from digging and use it to fashion a front and a roof on your hut. You only need a 1x1 space inside to just stand still overnight. But if you have time, try and make more space so you can put a crafting table and furnace down. 2x2 inside is enough. block up the entire front, and then just wait. after a few minutes you can punch a hole in the wall to see if its daylight yet. Just make sure you have some dirt to plug it again.

If you have time, try and do the stuff below, but that might take you a second day - doesn't take long though. i've tried to keep the numbers down to make things happen faster.

2) you need torches. But there is no coal nearby! Oh noes! simple, you can burn logs to make charcoal, which works just like coal. You need a furnace for that. Some basic steps to get you going (some of this might take you until the second day). Get your hut done first, you can manage one night in the dark.

- punch some trees. You only need about 5 wooden blocks, so stop once you have enough - don't waste time on your first day
- convert 4 wood to planks (just put in your crafting area). each wood makes 4 planks. You want a minimum of 16 planks
- convert 2 planks to sticks (one plank above another plank makes 4 sticks).
- make a crafting table (four planks filling your crafting area 2x2)
- place the crafting table down (right click). use it by right clicking on it. you can always take it with you later if you want by punching it until it breaks, then you can pick it up.
- make a wooden pick using the crafting table. Row of three planks across the top, column of two sticks in the middle. This will let you mine stone. Its not strong but it'll get you by. Later you can replace the planks with stone to get a stone pick which will work faster and last longer.
- go and mine some stone using your pick. You need 8 bits to make a furnace
- make a furnace. ring of 8 bits of stone. place it on the ground. right click on it to use it, just like the crafting table
- right click the furnace, put 1 wood block (raw from punching trees) in the top, and 1 plank of wood in the bottom. That'll smelt the wood and you'll end up with 1 bit of charcoal.
- put a piece of charcoal above a stick in your crafting area to make 4 torches. Use a couple of torches to light the inside of your hut so you can see, and put a couple outside so you can find your hut in the dark if you need to.
- make a door. six planks of wood in two columns of three. punch a 1 wide, 2 high hole in the front of your house and put the door there. now you can see out to know when its daytime.

From that you can then slowly expand. I'd recommend making lots of torches and making a safe route between your starter hut and the spawn point. Then when you die you can get back easily and relatively safely.

House first - coal later. IMO the OP shouldn't have the search for coal so high up on the list, its quite possible to go for days without finding coal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
next steps are to free up your nights. If you build your house backing onto some rocks (using dirt etc for walls) and you have a supply of torches, you can start mining during the night. Keep your areas well lit and you'll be fine. If you come across an opening into a cave system, block it off with dirt until you're better equipped to deal with what might be there.

That should at least get you a decent supply of cobblestone which you can use to make stone picks, stone shovels (for quick mining of dirt, useful for building walls), and stone axes for chopping down trees quickly.

I'd then spend a few days foraging - chop down trees, make some charcoal (or find some coal by mining), gather loads of dirt/cobblestone for making walls.

Then make the surrounding area safe with a bounding wall. Nothing too grand, you can expand over time. two blocks high will keep out everything other than spiders, but make sure mobs can't drop into your area. Light it up well and then you will have freedom to play outside at night too.

IrishNinja

awesome, thanks man!
learned a lot tonight between sofo and wolf (wolf something...guy in blue text!). Rome was amazing.

my hovel is near uh yellow station? not far from respawn...i'm The NZA there, feel free to camp out if it gets dark on you! cant wait to play again tonight.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
exano's server scares me (so does asscraft). So complex, where do you even start!? I can squat in houses overnight, but won't most of the good stuff already be mined out?

Lots of great ideas though. on asscraft found a giant cactus with an underground cactus farm that automatically harvests for you.

also have no idea how the minecarts work. Can't seem to jump in them properly

randomwab

mrklaw said:
exano's server scares me (so does asscraft). So complex, where do you even start!? I can squat in houses overnight, but won't most of the good stuff already be mined out?

Lots of great ideas though. on asscraft found a giant cactus with an underground cactus farm that automatically harvests for you.

For exano's server, just take one of the carts a station and walk a bit from there. Either that or head up to one of the planned stations, that's what I did for NE. I think there is only me and xVladx up there, and he's even further out from where I set up. There's still plenty of unmined areas in the server, though. You just need to move away from the spawn to get them.

Another useful tip, change the texture pack to find coal. Is very difficult to see coal (unless is in the exterior and full day) with the default texture.

Eccocid

Found the biggest lava pool i have ever seen. Started to dig in random directions from Cave Town in Asscraft and it took like 20 mins till i reach a natural cave. Then i found this;

irLKZ.png

It goes same amount in opposite directions and few more pools connected to this main one!

But i have no idea where i am at now lol need to reach to surface and build a big signpost to there to mark this place!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I haven't been playing this long, so excuse the "OMG The craziest shit ever happened!"-type post but here goes:

So I had built me a castle-type building and had also built a really nice bridge (complete with torches and railings) over to an island near my spawn point. Then, I started an epic dig. I excavated until finally falling into a huge cavern, which I've spent the last few days exploring. Further in, I found tons of lava and that Redstone, which I had never encountered before. I also found GOLD in them thar hills, and lots of iron. Trying to make my way back out, I took a wrong turn somehow and got lost, further into the deep. The next thing I know, it's RAINING Creepers!

I get blown up, luckily find my way back down from spawn point, and get blown up again! This repeats about 5 times, each time Creepers are falling from a huge hole in the cavern ceiling above me, but I'm not about to give up my riches. I finally make it out with everything, get back to my house, only to have a Creeper pop up and detonate, taking out half my castle wall and the base of my awesome bridge lol.

Diseased Yak said:
I haven't been playing this long, so excuse the "OMG The craziest shit ever happened!"-type post but here goes:

So I had built me a castle-type building and had also built a really nice bridge (complete with torches and railings) over to an island near my spawn point. Then, I started an epic dig. I excavated until finally falling into a huge cavern, which I've spent the last few days exploring. Further in, I found tons of lava and that Redstone, which I had never encountered before. I also found GOLD in them thar hills, and lots of iron. Trying to make my way back out, I took a wrong turn somehow and got lost, further into the deep. The next thing I know, it's RAINING Creepers!

I get blown up, luckily find my way back down from spawn point, and get blown up again! This repeats about 5 times, each time Creepers are falling from a huge hole in the cavern ceiling above me, but I'm not about to give up my riches. I finally make it out with everything, get back to my house, only to have a Creeper pop up and detonate, taking out half my castle wall and the base of my awesome bridge lol.

tumblr_lbymwbHfz41qa5504o1_500.png

Yaweee

Lonestar said:
Anyone hear from Exano yet? Still would like a cartographer map :D

I hadn't logged in for a few weeks, but my god has that server developed. The ride between north and south point is amazing.

(I'm Chickenstrip on the server, in the process of making huge wall around my private island North of North Point.)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yaweee said:
I hadn't logged in for a few weeks, but my god has that server developed. The ride between north and south point is amazing.

(I'm Chickenstrip on the server, in the process of making huge wall around my private island North of North Point.)

I've about finished a bridge to NE (well, at least to Vlad, not sure where the end point to NE "Station" is)

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
Solution:

Obsidian Castle and bridge! lol
That reminds me, I just started a new game and when I started digging, I found this small area which has TONS of obsidian. I don't have a diamond pickaxe yet, but if I'm lucky and there's another extra layer of something that's not lava behind all that obsidian, then I'll become obsidian-rich!!

Mik2121 said:
That reminds me, I just started a new game and when I started digging, I found this small area which has TONS of obsidian. I don't have a diamond pickaxe yet, but if I'm lucky and there's another extra layer of something that's not lava behind all that obsidian, then I'll become obsidian-rich!!

You can make obsidian very easily, if you have lava, and water. You can even construct obsidian structures without diamond pickaxe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_SPC9BoLS8

I've been able to play around on Exano's server the past couple of days (Name is Moofaa on there). I've got a small house on an island, but I drilled a stairway straight down to bedrock and have been excavating a massive cavern below ground. Only found one natural cave so far (filled with creepers, zombies, and skeletons) which I mined out.

Recently had to expand my little house, I had 4 chests stuffed full of cobblestone and didn't have room for more chests, so I built a small warehouse.

Eventually I will be able to start construction on my underground city, but sooo much more excavating needs to be done.

Once I have a large enough of my bowl-shaped cavern emptied out, I will start mining more randomly for a more natural look. Doing the roof is going to be a fun challenge without dying. I THINK I can get up to around 50 blocks high to the ceiling without mining through the bottom of the ocean around my island.

If anyone is working in the southern region my spot isn't hard to find. I made a simple path of torches/bridges to the railway station. Feel free to help yourself to cobble for now if your building in the area.

Finished my Villa at East Point on Exano's Server :D

Front:

aVqMa.png

Left Side(With a diving board installed by EdibleNewb, lol):

zeZxw.png

Back:

PYMJg.png

Right Side:

OkwU5.png

Courtyard at night:

d1Rjx.png

Courtyard from the second story:

z1plA.png

Several rooms:

m6xT6.png

1bhwR.png

View of East Point at night from the roof (Click picture for larger version):

I found my first mob generator. And some chests.

That cave system that I found is really huge. I can't avoid getting lost constantly, because there are no "dead ends". All caves links with more caves that links with more caves...

I made a small fortress. 5 blocks high, with a non-climbing design, the roof is a fenced farm, and I made a double wall with holes in the outer wall to be able to kill mobs safely. Is nothing compared with the amazing designs that I saw here, and I spent several hours to finish it. I really praise all the people able to do 50 blocks high towers and similar things.

bengraven

Awesome job Mebu!

Also, I think one of these days I'm going to start checking out the other three directions from spawn. I've spent so much time in Rome I forgot people are building in other directions.

bengraven said:
Awesome job Mebu!

Also, I think one of these days I'm going to start checking out the other three directions from spawn. I've spent so much time in Rome I forgot people are building in other directions.

Thanks! Yeah, north point has some amazing stuff going on at it too, and it's been a week or two since I was up there.

mrklaw said:

You right click the minecart to get in it. If you're ever on Exano's server when I'm on(wolfofmebu) let me know if you want me to show you how to use the stations.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow this Asscraft server is awesome so far! I'm still such an online minecraft noob though.

I'm trying to play by all the rules. If I see a chest that doesnt have a sign in front of it, but it does seem to have red flowers placed around it, that's something someone wants to keep to themselves, right?

Also, not having any weapons, I got myself into a fist fight with a creeper and it blew up a small portion of a stone walkway in the air. I'm going to repair it when I start getting some tools, but do people get angry if a creeper is the one who does the damage?

edit: this night club is so cool! There is so much creativity in there... switches as beer taps? Brilliant!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Eccocid said:
Found the biggest lava pool i have ever seen. Started to dig in random directions from Cave Town in Asscraft and it took like 20 mins till i reach a natural cave. Then i found this;

irLKZ.png

It goes same amount in opposite directions and few more pools connected to this main one!

But i have no idea where i am at now lol need to reach to surface and build a big signpost to there to mark this place!
F3 coordinates are your friend.

Bradlums

mrklaw said:
on asscraft found a giant cactus with an underground cactus farm that automatically harvests for you.
I think the giant cactus you're referring to is actually on exano's server. There's also a mob grinder down there that everyone is free to use as well as a park with a large wheat farm, but unfortunately the mob grinder is in need of repair right now.

Top Bottom